Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 10-18-2010, 4:40 PM
Señor Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Speirs View Post
New shop in Orange

South Coast Outdoorsman
Orange
$50
Black is our favorite color
$50+$25, or $50 OTD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 AM

Uncle pauls in ventura is $75... closed until nov. 9th

http://www.unclepaulsguns.com/transfers.html
Old 11-02-2010, 3:13 PM

Default Straightline Tactical in Anaheim

Transfer fee (FFL to FFL) $25
DROS fee $25
TOTAL $50

PPT $35 total (CA mandated)

Probably the best price in So. Cal. for FFL to FFL transfers.

http://www.straightlinetactical.com/

No affiliation whatsoever. Just a very satisfied customer. Top notch service with zero attitude.

The 2nd Amendment - The Original Homeland Security

WTB Colt Woodsman's, WWI/II 1911's, Walthers: P4 or P38 / IV (German or French), PP Super .380, PPK (German or French), TP, TPH (German only), S&W 547 9mm, Any DA .22 Magnum revolver. Colt .22 Diamondbacks, Courier, Banker's Spl.

FREE NRA FREEDOM ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP - CLICK BELOW
https://www.nrahq.org/FreedomAssoc/default.asp

Last edited by beemaze; 11-02-2010 at 3:17 PM..
Old 11-02-2010, 5:44 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemaze View Post
DROS fee $25
TOTAL $50

No affiliation whatsoever. Just a very satisfied customer. Top notch service with zero attitude.
That is an excellent price, but only one of the lowest when it comes to brick and mortar gun shops.
There's two "kitchen table" FFLs, one in Ridgecrest, and one in Bakersfield (or is it Fresno?) that are $10+DROS.

OC Indoor has a pretty good deal going too. Their FFL fee is 15% of the price of the gun, up to a max of $55.
That would be an ideal place to transfer in a stripped lower... particularly an NDS AK receiver ($55 receiver = $8.25+$25).

Quote:
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 11-03-2010, 3:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

City Arms now has a store in Pleasant Hill. They still (as of 11/2/10) charge $45. Nice guys, easy to deal with.

“We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”
Old 11-03-2010, 6:53 PM

Hey gang,

All I am trying to do is find an FFL in North San Diego that is reasonable (50-75.00 range ) that doesn't charge sales tax, especially since CA can't decide to charge or not to charge. No other internet transaction requires sales tax unless they have a brick and mortar store in CA.

Why does this all have to be so hard?

Toy4Rick
Old 11-04-2010, 7:55 AM
I need a LIFE!!

FFLs are required to charge sales tax if the firearm comes from a business. it is quite clear, although there are some FFLs who either are not aware of the requirements or do not care.

CA Sales Tax Firearms Information 495.0843 & 495.0848

http://www.boe.ca.gov/business/Vol2/suta-q-s.pdf

Also, you are supposed to pay the sales tax on your income tax return, but I have to wonder how many people actually do that.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-05-2010, 8:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
$50+$25, or $50 OTD?
$50+$25
Orange CA 92869
714-532-4867
T - F (11 - 7pm) Sat (10 - 5pm) - closed Sun & Mon
Old 11-05-2010, 6:35 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Speirs View Post
$50+$25
Quite a few shops are in that ballpark and lower.
Bright Spot Pawn in Riverside is $60 OTD. OC Armory is $60 OTD for a stripped lower, add $10 for each additional lower from the same shipper.

But $75 is still a good price... I'm not knocking it at all. It certainly is among the lower range.

Quote:
Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 AM

Bob's Guns
120 berrellesa st
Martinez, ca

$50 + dros does off lists too
Old 11-29-2010, 8:41 PM

Name: Sherm's Iron Works & Gun Repair
Street: 8131 Santa Rita St
Corona, ca 92881-4347
Phone: (951) 737-4767
bought a rifle from dds ranch and had it shipped to sherms
$50 ffl including dros OTD
Old 01-19-2011, 11:29 AM

I recently purchased a long arm from Atlantic and was sent to Euroarms in Alhambra, CA
http://www.yelp.com/biz/euroarms-inc-alhambra
Their fee was $65 plus .0975% sales tax of the gun. So I ended up paying about $175 in total. By the way, is that legal to charge taxes on something outside the state?
Old 01-19-2011, 12:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sales tax is required to be collected on firearms if it comes from a business. Also, sales tax is required to be collected if it comes from a private party AND the FFL gets involved finding a buyer and/or gets involved with the price. There are other issues with sales tax, such as if the firearm is bought from a place in CA, they are required to collect sales tax not only on the firearm, but also on the transfer dealer's fee, even thought they don't know what it is.

See also:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=366781

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-19-2011, 2:08 PM

Yea, they can charge sales tax on the stated price of the firearm. Often times, out of state dealers do not include an invoice detailing price and often mail it separately to the buyer. If there is no invoice to show for, it is the stated price that you verbally state to the transfer dealer.

WTB Colt Woodsman's, WWI/II 1911's, Walthers: P4 or P38 / IV (German or French), PP Super .380, PPK (German or French), TP, TPH (German only), S&W 547 9mm, Any DA .22 Magnum revolver. Colt .22 Diamondbacks, Courier, Banker's Spl.

Old 01-19-2011, 2:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If there is no invoice, then the FFL can charge sales tax based on the retail price of the firearm. The FFL does not have to accept the price that a buyer claims.

Old 01-19-2011, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
If there is no invoice, then the FFL can charge sales tax based on the retail price of the firearm. The FFL does not have to accept the price that a buyer claims.
That is true, and the buyer does not have to do further business with that FFL either if he/she chooses to charge use tax on the full retail price of the gun.

Old 01-19-2011, 3:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If the buyer refuses to give a copy of the receipt, then the FFL has to do what is reasonable to protect his/her business. The FFL could also refuse to do the transfer and put the buyer in a bad spot and/or refuse to do any further business with the person.

Old 01-19-2011, 4:52 PM

Why is this the first time I get charged sells tax from buying long guns online from budsgunstore and the more recent Atlantic firearms?

Do FFL dealers vary from whether they charge sells tax or not?
Old 01-19-2011, 6:07 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kustom56Merc View Post
By the way, is that legal to charge taxes on something outside the state?
Not only legal, but mandatory.

Legally, you are supposed to report ALL out of state purchases and pay the "use tax" on your state income tax return.

Since guns must go through an FFL for transfer, it makes it easy (possible) for the state to enforce the law.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2011, 6:09 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Why is this the first time I get charged sells tax from buying long guns online from budsgunstore and the more recent Atlantic firearms?

Do FFL dealers vary from whether they charge sells tax or not?
Some shops are not yet enforcing it.

They will after the BOE makes them pay the uncollected tax on their booked transactions.

First time? Ya. California is broke and they're coming down on things they used to let slide.

Quote:
Old 01-19-2011, 8:09 PM

I was forced to pay the tax in cash which made it hard for me since I had used my pay check the rifle itself and did not account for taxation of the gun. Is it illegal for the FFL dealer to only take cash and nothing more for claiming that it is for taxation purposes?
Old 01-19-2011, 8:19 PM

Quote:
I was forced to pay the tax in cash which made it hard for me since I had used my pay check the rifle itself and did not account for taxation of the gun. Is it illegal for the FFL dealer to only take cash and nothing more for claiming that it is for taxation purposes?
They should provide you with a receipt/invoice to show that taxes were paid.

Old 01-20-2011, 7:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

There are a lot of laws and it is hard to know all of them, so unfortunately some/many FFLs are not aware that they are required to collect sales tax on firearms from out of state. Part of the problem is that a person can buy a firearm from an out of state business and then the CA FFL may not know what the person paid for it, which makes it difficult, but also the FFL could view it as that since they did not get involved with the payment and does not know what was paid, they should not be responsible for the sales tax, which is nice, but not accurate.

I am sure that many CA FFLs are not aware that they are responsible for collecting the sales tax on the FFL transfer fee for firearms shipped to other CA FFLs for transfer. That one can be a real mess.

Old 01-20-2011, 5:38 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
I would contact the Board of Equalization on that one.
A business owner is free to indicate that they only accept cash, or that they don't accept specific credit cards or personal checks, but I don't believe that can be changed "on the fly" based on the transaction unless they have reason to believe that the credit card may be used fraudulently.

But I certainly understand their feeling. They are performing the transfer for "x" amount of dollars, and they are forced to charge sales tax.
Example, on a $1000 gun, sales tax would be somewhere in the ballpark of $90.
They are making $50 on their FFL transfer fee, so the total amount charged to your card is $165 with DROS, their cut is $50.
The credit card company is going to charge them between 3% and 6% for that transaction, so it's going to cost them between $5 and $10, when their gross is only $50 to begin with.

Quote:
Old 01-22-2011, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

Tagged
Old 01-27-2011, 3:05 PM

I did alot of shopping around for FFLs around socal, I had already placed my order so it didn't even matter by the time SUCHAR ENTERPRISES got back to me but just in case this affects anybody this is what they said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUCHAR ENTERPRISES
Sorry for the delayed response to your question. Currently, I'm only transfering Saiga/AK type weapons for Law Enforcement.
Old 02-03-2011, 5:45 PM
Veteran Member

b2 enterprises in cotati is $100+dros for OOS transfer

PM me for electrical work
Old 02-05-2011, 2:53 PM

I just dealt with UG Imports in Fremont for an out of state purchase that went from an individual to the FFL (UG). Good price ($75 total) and absolutely no hassle or time wasting. Really good experience, I wish they were all this good. www.ugimports.com
Old 02-05-2011, 3:00 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsenlab View Post
I just dealt with UG Imports in Fremont for an out of state purchase that went from an individual to the FFL (UG). Good price ($75 total) and absolutely no hassle or time wasting. Really good experience, I wish they were all this good. www.ugimports.com
He's a Calguns member. Good guy.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2011, 3:43 PM

Perhaps one of the best kept secrets in the Inland Empire, I just discovered it recently and it's not that easy to find:

Cal Arms
4451 Ontario Mills Parkway, Suite F
Ontario, CA 91764
(909) 945-3113
www.cal-arms.com

FFL transfers: $40 OTD (!)

The shop has no clear signage on the outside, it's actually located inside "Spy Gear" where they sell, well, spy gear.

The gun shop covers one wall and they carry OLLs. I saw a few AKs on the wall (one Saiga with a radlock, another I didn't look at without the PG). I spoke to Eric there who told me they will price match, and anything that wasn't in stock could be ordered and arrive in about 3 days time.

$40 out the door for FFL transfers is the best price I've found in California so far.

For those who know the area, this is on the outskirts of the Ontario Mills Mall. Drop the spouse and kids off at the Mills to do their shopping while you cross the street to do YOUR shopping!
Old 02-20-2011, 3:59 PM
Señor Member

Interesting.

And their weekly specials lists high-caps. They must have a high-cap permit and cater to LEO.

Is this another one of the shops like the one in Brea that cater only to LEO?

Quote:
Old 03-05-2011, 7:35 AM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
DROS fee $25
TOTAL $50

sorry for the thread bump to an old post... but thanks for this recommendation! I used to live not far from there - and still travel by/near there weekly, and I've never known it existed.

FFL fee you listed is awesome! I typically use Ammo Bros (and like them a lot), but this is a good option.

I'll be stopping by later today - Thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDamned View Post
sorry for the thread bump to an old post... but thanks for this recommendation! I used to live not far from there - and still travel by/near there weekly, and I've never known it existed.

FFL fee you listed is awesome! I typically use Ammo Bros (and like them a lot), but this is a good option.

I'll be stopping by later today - Thanks
Straightline Tactical's FFL to FFL fee has been increased to $75 including DROS.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Made in the USA

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

Quote:
Straightline Tactical's FFL to FFL fee has been increased to $75 including DROS.
wow, that's a pretty big increase - 50% in four months (actually it would be 100% increase in transfer fee and no increase in DROS).

Oh well, I guess I'll stick with Ammo Bros since they charge the same and I already have history there...

Thanks for the fee increase notice - I still plan to stop by and see what they have.
Old 03-05-2011, 8:42 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
wow, that's a pretty big increase - 50% in four months (actually it would be 100% increase in transfer fee and no increase in DROS).
Not really fair to say it's 50% in 4 months if it's been $50 for the last 15 years.

Bright Spot Pawn was running $50, then bumped it to $60 or $65.
That's a 20-30% increase and it happened overnight

Honestly, anything that's $75 or less OTD is a fair price for an FFL transfer (considering that the DOJ is taking $25 right off the top). You have to spend a fair amount of time and maybe drive a ways to find lower than that... and at $4/gallon, it doesn't take too many miles to eat up a $10-$20 savings when you have to make two trips.
It's cheaper for me to order stuff from Riflegear and pay shipping than it is for me to drive there and buy it.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2011, 12:50 AM

http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Stores.html#wsg
Old 03-12-2011, 2:37 PM

Quote:

Oh well, I guess I'll stick with Ammo Bros since they charge the same and I already have history there...

Thanks for the fee increase notice - I still plan to stop by and see what they have.
Actually, it was increased in a time period of almost a year and at Straightline you don't wait in line for long. Ammo Bros is a big store, with alot of customers, and they can be very slow with transfers.

Old 03-13-2011, 3:07 PM

Been reading off and on for years. But I am now new member. So I just want to thank so many who have contributed so much valuable info. Like this FFL reference for transfers.

Jeff
Old 03-15-2011, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoC View Post
Perhaps one of the best kept secrets in the Inland Empire, I just discovered it recently and it's not that easy to find:

Cal Arms
4451 Ontario Mills Parkway, Suite F
Ontario, CA 91764
(909) 945-3113
www.cal-arms.com

FFL transfers: $40 OTD (!)

The shop has no clear signage on the outside, it's actually located inside "Spy Gear" where they sell, well, spy gear.

The gun shop covers one wall and they carry OLLs. I saw a few AKs on the wall (one Saiga with a radlock, another I didn't look at without the PG). I spoke to Eric there who told me they will price match, and anything that wasn't in stock could be ordered and arrive in about 3 days time.

$40 out the door for FFL transfers is the best price I've found in California so far.

For those who know the area, this is on the outskirts of the Ontario Mills Mall. Drop the spouse and kids off at the Mills to do their shopping while you cross the street to do YOUR shopping!
This is awesome, I'm currently shopping around for an inexpensive FFL. I'll have to pay them a visit. 40 OTD is sweet. I hope they don't enforce a use tax.
Old 03-15-2011, 6:17 PM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindofarock View Post
I hope they don't enforce a use tax.
If they don't, they will in a year or so after the BOE finishes with them.

Not too many small businesses can afford to pay their customers' sales/use taxes, especially when the taxes may far exceed the cost of the transfer.

Quote: