Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-19-2011, 5:05 PM

Default Budget Safe: Sentry GM1459E, G1459E, AMSEC TF5517?

Hey guys, yet another safe thread.

I know that no safe is burglar proof, and a 3000 dollar Ft. Knox would be sweet, but I've neither the money or the space. Just trying to slow down or deter your average smash and grab burglars after a neighbors house got cleaned out.

A lot of people seem satisfied with the Sentry, but I've noticed there are 2 options - the non fireproof G1495E and the fireproof GM1495E. The biggest difference is in weight - the G model says 182 lbs, while the GM weighs in at a respectable 395 lbs. Is it in the steel, or is the fireproofing really that heavy? For the small difference in price, I'm leaning toward this option.

Turners has the AMSEC line of safes, which they say will be on Black Friday pricing soon for about the same money. 286 lbs, Palusol fire seals on the door, etc. People say good things about them.

Any opinions on these (or comparable) safes? Budget of ~500, plus or minus some.
Old 11-19-2011, 5:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Do they have the same gauge walls and door?

Fireproofing adds a lot of weight and I would opt for one with at least some.

In addition to Turners, Tractor Supply has a couple safes on sale next week.

Remember to buy bigger than you need. You will fill it.
Old 11-19-2011, 5:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

go to the turners website. the flyer is posted already.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
go to the turners website. the flyer is posted already.
No safe shown on the flyer, and the site does not show ANY safes
Old 11-20-2011, 3:45 PM

Alright,

So I went to Turners, and sure enough they had the AMSEC TF5517 out on the floor. $499 normal pricing, but the sale price tag was already on it, 489 bucks. I observed the following:

- 3/16" thick front plate on the door, 3 bolts on the side, one top, one bottom, and 3 dead bolts on the hinge side of the door.

- Seems indeed to be in the ~200-300 lb range, as advertised. Heavy, but I could move it around without too much trouble.

- Side walls not all that thick (14ga), though about on par with other safes in this class I've knocked on/hit/pushed on.

- Door slightly recessed, but not as much as some other safes - may effect prying resistance?
Old 11-20-2011, 3:51 PM

I have an AMSEC that I bought from Turners. Comparing it to a Sentry or Stack-On safe is like comparing a Yugo to a Corvette.

It's a decent quality safe at a reasonable price. The Sentry in the same price point was pretty Rinky Dink.
“Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation” - James Madison, 1788

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Don't worry scro!" - Dr. Lexus
Old 11-20-2011, 4:31 PM

Does anybody have a Sentry 14 gun safe? I'm especially interested in the Fire rated model (GM1459E or GS1459E) - for not a lot more, it weighs significantly more (395 lbs) than the non fire models. That's a lot of extra weight for some drywall and door seals - thicker steel?

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...Id=prod2450024

This Mesa Safe from Sam's Club seems to have a killer price, is even heavier, and has better specs, but you have to be a Sam's Club member. Anybody ever seen one of these?
Old 11-20-2011, 4:49 PM
Made in the USA
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Free in AZ!!! yes, it's worth the Pain to make it happen!

I've been leaning towards the Sentry GM12459E... cheapest I've found is WalMart $500 delivered: http://www.walmart.com/ip/SentrySafe...00000003260410 (would like to get dial lock though)... It's the biggest and heaviest I can find for the space I have - at the price point I'm interested in.

The Amsec at Turners seems to be a good option, but it's smaller and lighter than the Sentry...

If I had about 3" to spare for width, I'd be all over the Browning safe that Turners will have on sale http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=501743. That seems to be one of the best bang for buck going right now... In fact, I really wish I could fit it in the space I have.
Old 11-20-2011, 5:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air View Post
I have an AMSEC that I bought from Turners. Comparing it to a Sentry or Stack-On safe is like comparing a Yugo to a Corvette.

It's a decent quality safe at a reasonable price. The Sentry in the same price point was pretty Rinky Dink.
Not arguing, but remember there are 2 different sentry lines. There is the sentry line that is just like stackon and there is the executive line that is a bit better.

All of the safes/RSC that most of us work with can be breached rather quickly. But, they will deter the smash and grab which is the point.

Someday, I hope to have a vault room.
Old 11-20-2011, 5:46 PM

Yeah, Sentry has a G1459 14 gun safe that's less than 200 lbs, and not fire rated. I'd say the AMSEC TF5517 easily beats it in every regard, is fire rated, and costs less right now. And I can go to Turners right now and drag one home. That would be an easy choice.

The Sentry GM1459 is also rated as a 14 gun safe, but lists at 395 lbs... I doubt the fire insulation could have added over 200 lbs to the listed weight, so I'm really curious to see if they put more steel in it to bump up the fire properties. The only thing heavier in this price range is the Mesa MG59C (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...Id=prod2450024 505 bucks, 440 lbs, 1 hour fire rating, whoa), but you have to be a Sam's Club member... May have to consider that...
Old 11-20-2011, 7:24 PM
Made in the USA

even though I'm pretty set on the Sentry GM1459E

I'm now wondering if Lowes Black Friday Liberty Centurion is worth considering?... It's a bit smaller and 100lbs lighter - but also over 200 cheaper... BF sale for 297, minus 10% post office moving package coupon - kinda hard to ignore the price...

I know "you get what you pay for" and all... but is this safe worth considering over the Sentry GM1459E? considering the price difference

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stor...k%20Gun%20Safe
Old 11-20-2011, 7:49 PM

It so happens I was just checking that safe out at Lowes before I started this thread. It seemed reasonably constructed for the class it's in. Not all that heavy - you could walk it around on the pallet it sat on without much effort.

I would say that it's probably not far from the non fire Sentry or maybe AMSEC in terms of weight and strength. I'd probably still pick the AMSEC first between the 3, although the Centurion is the cheapest, hands down and you can pick it up locally.

If the Fire rated Sentry 14 gun safe is built as thick as it is heavy, it may be the better buy - but that's what I'm trying to find out. I also wish I could get into Sam's club to look at one of those Mesa's if they have them on the floor...
Old 11-20-2011, 8:35 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Shot View Post
It so happens I was just checking that safe out at Lowes before I started this thread. It seemed reasonably constructed for the class it's in. Not all that heavy - you could walk it around on the pallet it sat on without much effort.

I would say that it's probably not far from the non fire Sentry or maybe AMSEC in terms of weight and strength. I'd probably still pick the AMSEC first between the 3, although the Centurion is the cheapest, hands down and you can pick it up locally.

If the Fire rated Sentry 14 gun safe is built as thick as it is heavy, it may be the better buy - but that's what I'm trying to find out. I also wish I could get into Sam's club to look at one of those Mesa's if they have them on the floor...
I wouldnt consider the nonfire Sentry, it's smaller and 100 lbs lighter than the GM1459... The Centurion and AMSEC are about the same size and weight (both pretty small), the AMSEC has more bolts, and from what little I can determine seems better quality (this is based on reading, not in person inspection)...

Based on price alone, the Centurion is intriguing... based on specs, the Sentry GM wins imo. The Sams Club Mesa seems decent, but I'm not gonna buy a membership just to get a safe (primarily because I already have Costco).

I'll probably get Sentry GM1459 from WalMart... at $499 it seems to be the best choice of the ones discussed (and the size is perfect for the space I have)... I suspect giving in to the attractive price of the Centurion would result in buyers remorse.

As far as "getting into Sams Club to look at the Mesa" - you can get in, just tell them your girlfriend/wife is inside with your card (I've done that to price compare other stuff)... of course that doesnt do anything to help you buy the safe.
Old 11-21-2011, 8:11 PM

Well, I called a couple local Sam's Club stores and they said that the item number that pertains to the Mesa safe is out of the system or discontinued, and came to the conclusion that it's an online exclusive sort of deal (if anybody sees one in the store, speak up!). That's a pisser cuz when I made up a mock order, shipping was over 200 bucks, putting it way out of my price range. Sucks.

I'm juggling the GM1459, and the AMSEC TF5517 right now. The AMSEC has the benefits of availability, price, and one top and bottom locking bolt. The GM1459 seems to have the benefits of sheer weight, and hopefully, more steel. If the AMSEC was a bit thicker all around, I'd have bought it already. I routinely turn 1/4-1/2" thick swaths of much higher grade steel into chips at work, so the AMSEC's 14 gauge steel sides has me a bit wary. Amazon's shipped price slightly beats Wal-Marts at the moment.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Made in the USA

also, the GM1459 is bigger than the AMSEC

Walmart previously showed free shipping (I think that might have been ship to store though)... it doesnt show that anymore - but shipping is only $55 (total with tax is still under $600)...

I can't find one on Amazon for that cheap even before shipping... do you have a link to the best pricing you are finding?

Best Buy is $630 plus tax with free shipping... ends up being about $80 more than Walmart - but BB has no interest for 18 months... I might just get it from BB (I already had a cc with them, and the 18 month no interest thing frees up some money for other crap I really dont need )
Old 11-22-2011, 12:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I own one of the AMSEC fire resistant ones.
My only complaint is that I shoulda bought the size larger.
I compared it side by side against a Sentry model they had on the floor, and the AMSEC seemed way better put together. Felt more "solid".
Old 11-22-2011, 3:07 PM
Made in the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by puropuro View Post
I own one of the AMSEC fire resistant ones.
My only complaint is that I shoulda bought the size larger.
I compared it side by side against a Sentry model they had on the floor, and the AMSEC seemed way better put together. Felt more "solid".
what model Sentry did you compare it to? As indicated throughout the thread, the non fire rated (G series) seems to be quite a bit inferior to the fire rated (GM series)... the GM is 100 lbs heavier than the AMSEC so it's hard to believe it would feel less "solid"...

I haven't compared the two in person - but based on specs and from what I have read, you probably compared it to a "G" series.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Made in the USA

I just ordered the Sentry GM1459E from Best Buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/SentrySa...safe&cp=1&lp=1

$597.48 including tax & shipping... called customer service today to inquire about shipping (free during the holidays) - they assured it will be delivered upstairs and set up wherever I want it... more than once and more than one way, I confirmed "upstairs" and "set up in specific location" - was assured yes.

The free deliver & set-up plus 18 month interest free payments + $1 credit for every $1 spent Reward Zone" (ends up being $10 in certificates) sealed the deal.

The price is cheaper than Ive found anywhere else (considering shipping) and the specs of the safe are the best I could find for my needs (59"X23"X23" - rounded off) 370 lbs.

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is there are no top or bottom bolts. Also, even though Sentry makes the same model in dial combo lock, the one at BB only comes with electronic lock (good for some people, but I'd prefer dial).... other than that, this is the best bang for buck (that fits my space) that I have found... The price is not a "sale" price - but last week it was $629 (or there about)... and only Walmart has it cheaper (but they charge shipping)... for comparison sake, Sears has the same exact safe for over $900... and I can't find it for less than $700 (other than BB and Walmart).

There are better safes (even at better prices) - but nothing that fits my space... for a safe that fits a 64" X 25" X 25" space, this is the best deal going. If you can fit a 30" wide safe, the Winchester at Costco or the Browning sale at Turners are what I would have gone for.

I'm ultra analytical and research the hell out of purchases like this... Figured I'd post all the info I gathered for anyone that didnt get a safe during Black Friday and is still in the market... I'll post impression of the safe once received.

Last edited by LBDamned; 11-27-2011 at 10:13 PM..
Old 11-28-2011, 5:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Costco has these on sale.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...S&Sp=C&topnav=

A lie about a wrongdoing becomes your future. The truth about a wrongdoing becomes your past. - Unknown
Old 11-30-2011, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranemech View Post
While it is a great buy, it is too wide (28 inches) to fit in the OP's space which is 64x25x25. The Bighorn safes seem to be one of the best bargains out there.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Default Amsec TF5517

Found it for 599.00 online with free shipping at www911safes.com