Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 12-08-2013, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Default Anyone use AT&T internet? How does itc ompare to cox?

I have had Cox internet for many years.. and have had more than what I consider to be an "acceptable" amount of problems with them. We always have some sort of connectivity problems that come and go at random, and we have replaced the modem, router and switch several times - never fixes anything. We even switched from our own store bought modem (One of the best modems on THEIR list of approved modems) to their "recommended rental" and that didn't fix anything either. Long story short, the problem is on their end and they can never seem to clear it up. As with all of our Cox problems, this one will probably go away in a few months, only to have a new/different problem pop up.

So, I'm fed up with it and thinking about switching to AT&T. Does anyone use AT&T and do you have any sort of connection problems? How about speed compared to Cox? One thing that has always kept me with Cox is that I do get very good speeds from them, when it's actually working.

EDIT: Didn't see the other thread about this topic until just now. Sorry.. I guess it won't hurt to have a few more opinions thrown at me though..

Last edited by Meety Peety; 12-08-2013 at 9:46 AM..
Old 12-08-2013, 9:45 AM

At&t dsl is slow.

They have a 150gb cap

If you watch youtube videos all day for 30 days, you'll go over that 150gb cap.
Old 12-08-2013, 9:55 AM
Veteran Member

Wait, it has a data use cap like cell phones? As far as I know, Cox is unlimited use for however many devices you can manage to connect with no noticeable throttling of any kind. If they do throttle, I haven't noticed at all. We have anywhere from 4 to 8 devices running at a given time and there is a LOT of internet use going on in this house.. I'd be really annoyed if they started throttling the speed or charging extra if we go over a data cap.

I don't really know much about all the different types of internet since we've had cox pretty much as long as I can remember. I do remember that the dial up we had years and years ago was horrible.. lol. What other options are there? Is Cox the only (cable?) option that isn't capped or throttled down in some way?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:07 AM

Every single Internet provider is capped now from what I've been shopping around for. We have to live with it

AT&T dsl = 150gb
AT&T Uverse = 250gb

Comcast = 250gb (currently unenforced)

Of all the ISPs, Comcast has been reliable for me. Your mileage may vary depending on the building and cable quality in the ground/walls.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallabing View Post
Every single Internet provider is capped now from what I've been shopping around for. We have to live with it

AT&T dsl = 150gb
AT&T Uverse = 250gb

Of all the ISPs, Comcast has been reliable for me. Your mileage may vary depending on the building and cable quality in the ground/walls.
240 on uverse and they really can't track the amount of usage because the website is broken and there's no usage report on your bill. Since everything goes through the data lines even with HD usage you'll blow through the caps within the first 3 days. Reality it's like a unlimited line just long as you don't go insane and go with 500 gigabytes. Depending on the area that you're in with your phone lines determines how flakey the internet and TV usage will be. AT&T also over provisions their routers and occasionally for me online gaming will see spikes of latency. That was in the house that was around 30 years old. Now I am in a house that is about 6 years old and it's been great but being limited to an 18 megabyte line kinda sucks. As usual your mileage may vary.

Sent from the bottom of a pickle barrel.
Old 12-08-2013, 3:08 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

What kind of problems with COX are you having now? There are diagnostics/logs built into the modem that will give you an idea of the problem you might be having.
Old 12-08-2013, 3:36 PM

Speed and reliability depend heavily on where you are in each providers respective network. I live in a newer house about 2 blocks from our local AT&T Uverse aggregator so my speed and overall reliability is good. Fastest speed I get on various tests is about 30mbits with the slowest being around 6-7.

My next door neighbor has Xfinity and it's not nearly as fast as my Uverse, even though cable is supposed to be inherently faster. My brother in Sac has Uverse and it's not nearly as fast as mine where my dad, in the same area as my bro, has Xfinity and it's a LOT faster than anything around here.

If you can find folks in your area that have both services, ask them if you can check out their service. Overall, AT&T support has been ok. My biggest gripe with them is navigating their support tree system... it's a pain in the arse.
Old 12-08-2013, 4:54 PM
Veteran Member

make them send a tech out to check your line
Old 12-09-2013, 2:56 AM

Old 12-09-2013, 4:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallabing View Post

AT&T dsl = 150gb
AT&T Uverse = 250gb

Verizon FiOS is not capped, AFAIK. Unfortunately you have to live in an area they provide service, I made sure my house had FiOS SVC avail. before I bought it.
I download all the Linux ISO's and stream as much as I want.

AT&T DSL in non-rural areas can even be as slow as 1.5Mbps down/128k up!

A co-worker stated that AT&T services areas with fiber in some areas these days (his current provider), but the speeds I fail to recall, but I DO remember they were not even close to these speeds:

I was told they do have an occasional issue here and there and you need to call in to have them reset something if a power-cycle of equipment doesn't resolve it, but he said that it isn't too bad...
(I don't have any issues with my FiOS router needing a reboot, THESE days... but FiOS HAD similar issues in their past.)

(I usually get about 15ms ping times, and it defiantly NOT 0ms, so their ping-test is whacked right now...)

Edit: it looks like they have moderate speeds, at least with their uVerse service: http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/i...id=mPgylznchAx
It looks like their DSL is about AVG: http://www.att.com/shop/internet/int...id=Gs-OhMbCIr6

Last edited by the86d; 12-09-2013 at 4:48 AM..
Old 12-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

The problem I am currently having is that our internet randomly disconnects, requiring a hard reset of the modem. Sometimes it will happen once or twice in a day, sometimes it will happen 3 times in 30 minutes. This has persisted through two modems, one was Cox's rental and the current modem is a SB5121 (I'm pretty sure that's the model but I'm not at home atm). Both modems were suggested by Cox for use with their internet service. I have had them out to "fix" it several times and they just try to blame the router or tinker with all the connections and call it good. I have bypassed the router several times, it is not the router. I don't even reset the router when the problem occurs. The problem is that the internet just cuts out long enough to interupt service and knock the modem offline.. so when they come out to test it, everything appears to be as it should be, minus the fact that they have to reset the modem. No one can seem to figure out why the signal suddenly disconnects randomly. Personally I think its the line coming from the street to my house, but considering cox installed it, I figured they would maintain it. I'm probably going to look into replacing that next and see if that clears up the issue.
Old 12-09-2013, 1:53 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

That modem you have might be only a few years old but it is only DOCSIS 2.0 capable. You need to sadly upgrade again to at least a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. COX should be using downstream and possibly upstream channel bonding which means that if you are in an area where there is an impairment on the 6 MHZ wide channel with channel bonding it will use either another 3 or 7 channels depending on how they have it configured.

Sure it could be the cable outside and it could be loose fittings or a grounding problem. Could be 1,000 different things that someone has overlooked but I would start here and see if it is more stable.
Old 12-09-2013, 1:54 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

You say offline, do you actually see the lights on the modem recycle or do they seem up and you simply can't access the internet?
Old 12-09-2013, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

Like I said I wasn't home and probably got the model number wrong the model was brand new and bought it about 4 months ago max. It is indeed docsis 3, I made sure of that when I bought it.

As for the disconnecting I will be on the internet, say surfing calguns and all of the sudden the page won't load. I look down at my toolbar and it shows that the internet has now gone to "limited or no connectivity" with a little exclaimation point symbol on the internet connection toolbar icon. I go to the modem, it looks normal minus the fact that none of the devices on my network (including wireless devices, cells etc) can access the internet. Unplug the modem, plug it back in and everything is good again until the next spontanious disconnect.
Old 12-09-2013, 5:13 PM

I work for AT&T and I can say if your in a area with old wiring your guaranteed problems with the internet.
Old 12-09-2013, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meety Peety View Post
Wait, it has a data use cap like cell phones? As far as I know, Cox is unlimited use for however many devices you can manage to connect with no noticeable throttling of any kind. If they do throttle, I haven't noticed at all. We have anywhere from 4 to 8 devices running at a given time and there is a LOT of internet use going on in this house.. I'd be really annoyed if they started throttling the speed or charging extra if we go over a data cap.

I don't really know much about all the different types of internet since we've had cox pretty much as long as I can remember. I do remember that the dial up we had years and years ago was horrible.. lol. What other options are there? Is Cox the only (cable?) option that isn't capped or throttled down in some way?
Yep, I go over my CAP every month, I pay about double. If I do something crazy like download a new video game, I REALLY go over my cap. My Cellphone is 4g unlimited, but my home internet is capped. It really sucks and I would change to something else but they are the only service provider. I'm also under contract to keep the cost around $40 a month if I didn't hit the cap, otherwise I would only be paying even more.
I think you can get a business account for an extra $20 a month and they do not have a CAP.
They tell me I'm using too much of their internet and I'm hogging all the bandwidth with my 6Mbps connection

My DSL speeds are consistent and fine for what they are, the trick was to purchase my own modem, then disable everything in the modem so the modem will just pass through to my nice Wirless AC router (Which resolves the connection instead of the modem). If I let the modem handle the connection I have to reboot it all the time. Basically the DSL modem just converts the phone line to Ethernet now, and that is it's only job. (PPPoE)

Heres a link for clarification:
http://inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/908.page

My house was built in the 60's and my DSL still reaches maximum speeds (Still slow as **** haha).

If your experiencing those disconnects you might try this process.
1) First Ditch their modem, get your own and have them help you configure this (Call at night so you get someone in India that's knows what they are doing and will be willing to help). They will provide the username and password for you and all the other information you will need to setup your new modem. This same info will later be used to setup your router instead of your modem so write it down!). US AT&T phone support is a joke, they are just brainwashed sales people no matter what department you call, and you will end up in a phone loop of them trying to sell you **** endlessly.
2) Next bypass that modem. The NAT tables on the modems fill up WAY too fast so you need to bypass it and allow a nice modern router to do the work instead. I'm using ASUS AC66U, but the newer version is even better. You will need to search google for more information on configuring your particular router to resolve the IP address and handle the NAT and DHCP.

For what t's worse I no longer have to reboot my modem multiple times a day, it's been on for months now without a restart other than the occasional power outage or unplugging it to move around wires.

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 12-09-2013 at 5:57 PM..
Old 12-09-2013, 6:12 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I just sent you a PM but have one more question. Does it happen when you do anything bursty or just normal surfing? Netflix, gaming, downloading or just random?

Thanks
Old 12-09-2013, 7:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmman View Post
I just sent you a PM but have one more question. Does it happen when you do anything bursty or just normal surfing? Netflix, gaming, downloading or just random?

Thanks
Nope, just totally random, and no common denominator. Someone might be watching Netflix, or I will be surfing Calguns, sometimes it even happens when no one is home or using the internet at all, we come home from work or something and find it dead waiting to be reset. We don't download anything and gaming has been pretty minimal the last few months.. Netflix is probably the biggest data transfer we do, and that's not very often lately.

I did get your PM and I will get back to you on that tomorrow evening. Sorry for the delay, but I can't get to it tonight. I do thank you for your help!

Last edited by Meety Peety; 12-09-2013 at 7:26 PM..
Old 12-09-2013, 9:07 PM
Veteran Member

ATT is slow.. next time you have a service tech out from cox have them get you in touch with their supervisor.. get the maintenance dept involved and get an answer.

It could be a number of things.. where do you live?
apt?
have they replaced the drop from the tap to the house?
Check and make sure all fittings are tight.
Have they replaced all the cable?
Have them run an ingress test
May be a line issue.. could be someone near you feeding crap back into the system. could be they are having issues with their plant..

is it an underground system or does it come from a pole?
-Edmund Burke
I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it.
- Phil Dalmolin

The Battle of Athens was illegal too.
Old 12-11-2013, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meety Peety View Post
Like I said I wasn't home and probably got the model number wrong the model was brand new and bought it about 4 months ago max. It is indeed docsis 3, I made sure of that when I bought it.

As for the disconnecting I will be on the internet, say surfing calguns and all of the sudden the page won't load. I look down at my toolbar and it shows that the internet has now gone to "limited or no connectivity" with a little exclaimation point symbol on the internet connection toolbar icon. I go to the modem, it looks normal minus the fact that none of the devices on my network (including wireless devices, cells etc) can access the internet. Unplug the modem, plug it back in and everything is good again until the next spontanious disconnect.
I'm having the same problem. I just hit disconnect and the connect again and it reloads. I don't have to reset the modem. I have coxs docsis 3 modem that they give for their voip phone service so I got it for free. It is a PITA
Old 12-12-2013, 8:18 PM
Veteran Member

Just an update: We decided to give AT&T a try. I don't know why, the wife really wanted to give them a shot. So far, reliability is at 100%.. so I am pretty convinced it was a Cox problem. It IS slower than Cox was though, which I'm not happy about. Oddly enough, speed tests show somewhere around the same as our old connection, but it just feels slower, mostly when loading new pages like opening a new tab or loading a page after clinking a link.

Old speed test was around 20-25 DL and 4-5 UL
New speed test is around 25 DL and 1-2 UL

Not sure exactly where the UL speed comes into play, but considering the tests are fairly close, AT&T sure "feels" a lot slower. Oh well.. if it's not one thing, it's another.
Old 12-14-2013, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

I have TW and wish I was in the Cox area. We had ATT before and I wouldn't use them again if it was free. Actually, I did get it free cause I work for an ISP. I wouldn't use ATT again if it they paid me. We had a semi go down the street taking out all the lines. ATT said we had to pay 90 bucks to get it set up again. What? They said the same to all my neighbors.

We called TW and they waived install fees and got us going the next day. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2013, 9:35 PM
Banned

It's slow as ****. Been a customer for the past 4 years. Pondering going back to COX.
Old 12-15-2013, 7:00 PM

Had ATT before we moved out here and that is what we have now, but it is slow. Before we moved they had a monopoly and there weren't any other choices. I kept them because at least in my experience they have excellent customer service.