Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2014, 1:10 PM

Default Crossroads of the West Gun Show

Sorry if there is a thread elsewhere, I'm a bit of a newb here on calguns.

SO the Crossroads of the West Gun Show is coming to the Cow Palace on Sept. 13th.

I've never been to a gun show before, and I have a few firearms, as well as ammo purchases coming up. I was wondering if I should wait for the show, or just buy now locally, or do some internet shopping?

I'm looking to pick up a Ruger sr22 sse, as well as a 10/22, maybe a glock 9mm, and maybe just maybe a 12g...

Do you think I'll get better pricing at the show than I would either locally, or by buying on line and doing an ffl transfer?

How does the 10 day waiting period work in the context of a gun show? (I wish that recent decision wasn't stayed... I could walk out fully stocked, like a regular American).
Old 08-28-2014, 4:47 PM

would wait on a deal online for ammo there always better prices,

as far as firearms purchase usually vendors are NOT local to the area and have to pay an transfer fee to a local FFL (not sure how much is transfer fee)

great experience to go ig you've never been

don't forget to sign up at the NRA table

Check out the BAY AREA sub-forum
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=304
Old 08-28-2014, 5:07 PM

Thanks for the advice!
Old 08-28-2014, 5:15 PM

I never go for the guns. I go for accessories or maybe ammo... It is a good way to waste a day though, surrounded by guns and people who like guns. it's always a good time!
Old 08-28-2014, 5:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Beef Jerky & Dream Catcher show...

until the online ammo sales go away.... then they might be worth attending

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 08-28-2014, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoThreeOneSix View Post
I never go for the guns. I go for accessories or maybe ammo... It is a good way to waste a day though, surrounded by guns and people who like guns. it's always a good time!
+1
Old 08-28-2014, 7:03 PM

if you ended up going park on the street

might be attending just to breath guns and ammo for the day.

Last edited by kengotit; 08-28-2014 at 7:48 PM..
Old 08-28-2014, 7:14 PM

What everyone else said, just buy firearms locally and order ammo online.
Old 08-28-2014, 7:19 PM

Yup.....sadly best deals nowadays are online and gunshows are just good for the novelty and comraderie of being with like minded gun enthusiasts. However, if you like the immediate gratification of receiving what you pay for on the spot and like to touch, smell etc what you're buying, gun show prices are not that exorbitantly higher than online after you consider the time you spend shopping online, shipping costs, the wait etc.. I still love going to gun shows and do buy stuff and ammo when the availability and price makes sense. Just my two cents......
Old 08-28-2014, 7:46 PM

Reno gun show a couple weeks ago had ammo for $20 less per 1000 rds of reman 9mm than freedom munitions charges even with there sale. Reno show it was $164.95 per 1000rds of reman 125 grain 9mm. I paid like $185 for 1000 rds of 115 grain 9mm from freedom on there last sale.
Old 08-28-2014, 8:10 PM

Do I stand much of a chance finding pinned and recessed Smiths at these shows? Models 19, 27 or 28. Perchance a Ruger Redhawk in .357 magnum?
Old 08-28-2014, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

I haven't been to what I would call a GOOD gun show for 10 years.
Old 08-28-2014, 9:26 PM

My son and I make a day of it usually as the closest one to us is an hour away. We hit the show and then our favorite BBQ place. I see decent deals on ammo at these shows. Not spectacular deals. YMMV.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:50 PM

Stun guns and jerky
Old 08-29-2014, 10:11 AM

You guys are disappointing me. Less so than if I'd driven up there and paid $36 to get in only to find so so deals.

I have memories of back in the day, the best deals were to be had at the shows.

Maybe it was just a misconception back then, too!

Thanks though, guys, a great help.

Dream catcher and beef jerky show, lol.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Honey Badger
CGN Contributor

First thing I'll point out is about the guns. You can probably get better prices online. As stated, most of the dealers aren't local, so you're going to pay a xfer fee on top of your purchase.
And yes, there is a lot of jerky and other useless crap at the show, BUT.....The last show couple of shows have really stepped up. There were several more dealers with a lot more guns than I've seen there before. There were also new vendors with new displays that had actual firearms related things. Uppers, lowers, parts, accessories, etc. For a gun show that was just a few actual guns and mostly crap, it has gotten better. I made a few AR parts purchases at the last show that had better prices than Midway. And you know Midway has some really good prices.
The best thing at the gunshow is the ammo. Buy in bulk and save money. I usually buy from the Miwall booth. The last couple shows have had minimal wait time in line. In fact, I was actually surprised how much moving room there was at the last show, despite all the new vendors.
Since your location is not listed, but you're going to the show, you must be close. If you want to SSE a pistol before year's end, I'll suggest Brian Nussbaum in Burlingame. He just helped me get my last Dan Wesson. A Valor in SS. But you better decide quickly. As time goes by, it will get busier and harder to obtain what you want. Figure you have Sept and Oct to do it, because by November, all the last minute people are going to be flooding in for desperation purchases.
So, go to the show. Look around, buy some ammo, maybe some parts and jerky, look at the guns and price accordingly. Find your best prices online before looking for the guns you want at the show so you'll know which is the better deal.
Ryan
Old 08-29-2014, 1:40 PM

Someone said they were able to get primers for $22. I'm going to go check that out to see if it's true.
Old 08-29-2014, 6:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wish it was closer. I would go but driving in San Francisco is a deal killer for me. Too crazy.

A freak without instruction, is headed for self destruction!!!

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!

"Your government's the gangster, so cut the crap!!!" Chuck D.
Old 09-05-2014, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamphyri13 View Post
First thing I'll point out is about the guns. You can probably get better prices online. As stated, most of the dealers aren't local, so you're going to pay a xfer fee on top of your purchase.
And yes, there is a lot of jerky and other useless crap at the show, BUT.....The last show couple of shows have really stepped up. There were several more dealers with a lot more guns than I've seen there before. There were also new vendors with new displays that had actual firearms related things. Uppers, lowers, parts, accessories, etc. For a gun show that was just a few actual guns and mostly crap, it has gotten better. I made a few AR parts purchases at the last show that had better prices than Midway. And you know Midway has some really good prices.
The best thing at the gunshow is the ammo. Buy in bulk and save money. I usually buy from the Miwall booth. The last couple shows have had minimal wait time in line. In fact, I was actually surprised how much moving room there was at the last show, despite all the new vendors.
Since your location is not listed, but you're going to the show, you must be close. If you want to SSE a pistol before year's end, I'll suggest Brian Nussbaum in Burlingame. He just helped me get my last Dan Wesson. A Valor in SS. But you better decide quickly. As time goes by, it will get busier and harder to obtain what you want. Figure you have Sept and Oct to do it, because by November, all the last minute people are going to be flooding in for desperation purchases.
So, go to the show. Look around, buy some ammo, maybe some parts and jerky, look at the guns and price accordingly. Find your best prices online before looking for the guns you want at the show so you'll know which is the better deal.
Ryan
Yeah, somehow I cooked up in my head that I wouldn't have to do an ffl transfer, like somehow local vendors would go to the show, so I could buy there at discount prices, and just pick up locally. I don't know where I formed that idea from...

Probably just get ammo on line. I'm in San Jose, so it is a bit of a drive. I could use some more ammo, and I could use some ar accessories that I've been putting off for a long time, namely a sling. But... I don't know, long drive, ticket price, parking price... for deals that won't beat online?

I usually shop locally. I believe in supporting these local gun stores. If they go away, we're in big trouble. Then again, times are tight, never been tighter, so I really need to pinch pennies, so maybe just online...
Old 09-05-2014, 9:11 PM
CGN Contributor

What would the chances be of finding a good deal on something that didn't require an FFL like, perchance, complete AR uppers?
Old 09-10-2014, 8:57 AM
CGN Contributor

Anybody going? I am going to be there early on Saturday to do a "get in, look around, get out" kinda thing. I have some particular things to check on/look for but would definitely slow it down a bit to meet some other local CalGunners.
Old 09-10-2014, 9:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by INRIP View Post
Stun guns and jerky
Not to mention outstanding precision machined Pakistani crap swords and junky knives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidFuzzle View Post
What would the chances be of finding a good deal on something that didn't require an FFL like, perchance, complete AR uppers?
It's a good place to fondle and touch what you're thinking of buying. Based on my experience at California gun shows, prices are always higher than online, even considering shipping.

Based on my experience at gunshows in Idaho, Nevada, Texas and Oklahoma, not too many used guns at CA gunshows, and no used guns that are great deals...requirement to transfer new or used via a licensee if you're in CA eliminates ftf sales, and those are where you find the great deals...especially in the parking lot or waiting in line for the show to open.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

Last edited by -hanko; 09-10-2014 at 11:58 AM..
Old 09-10-2014, 10:13 AM
CGN Contributor

Default Cow Palace Gun show

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Wish it was closer. I would go but driving in San Francisco is a deal killer for me. Too crazy.
The show is NOT in San Francisco. As in ALL things Bay Area ... San Francisco pre-empts most in terms of name and branding.

The show is at the Cow Palace. The Cow Palace is in Daly City. The traffic is way better there than anywhere in SF proper.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:17 AM
CGN Contributor

Default Cow Palace Gun show

Quote:
Anybody going? I am going to be there early on Saturday to do a "get in, look around, get out" kinda thing. I have some particular things to check on/look for but would definitely slow it down a bit to meet some other local CalGunners.
Yes, I will be going. I plan on getting there sometime around 9:00am to 9:30am. I usually leave around 11:30am.

I really enjoy going to these things. Since I am a reloader, I usually head straight on over to the Miwall reloading booth when I get there. The Miwall corporation usually has two(2) boths there. One for reloading and one for ammo. Both booths are pretty decent in size.

The other thing I go for is to see if there are any estate sale stuff there. From time to time, they do come up ... the deals with the estate sale stuff tends to be very good ... that is unless the vendor is willing to gouge folks on this stuff. The estate sale gougers ... they are easy to identify. They are the ones who keep putting their stuff up on the tables ... over, and over, and over, and over again ... at every show!
Old 09-10-2014, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krwada View Post
The show is NOT in San Francisco. As in ALL things Bay Area ... San Francisco pre-empts most in terms of name and branding.

The show is at the Cow Palace. The Cow Palace is in Daly City. The traffic is way better there than anywhere in SF proper.
San francisco border is few blocks over,

park on the street to avoid the extra $10 parking

Old 09-12-2014, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengotit View Post

$10 for parking now? What the EFF??!
Old 09-12-2014, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kengotit View Post

SHoosh Thats what I do saved $10 for ammo
Old 09-12-2014, 5:38 PM
Veteran Member

Just tell them you're going to the CSC job faire that's happening that same day. I don't think you'll pay $10 for parking.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:40 AM

Can anyone verify and post the price for 1k of 7.62x39mm FMJ?

“si vis pacem, para bellum” ... if you want peace, prepare for war
Old 09-13-2014, 2:27 PM
CGN Contributor

1k rounds of 9mm, 1k rounds of .380ACP, and 1 MonsterVault under bed safe later, I am exhausted. Took the GF and we had a good time and had the full experience including beef jerky and stun guns! Glad I went. Might go back early tomorrow morning to get fitted for the custom ear plugs so I can stop wearing cans.

Sorry, I did not price any 7.62.
Old 09-13-2014, 6:21 PM

This was me when I read the headline

I saw the ads when driving around Pleasant Hill and really wanted to go, just to experience it.
Old 09-13-2014, 6:43 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyde12 View Post
This was me when I read the headline

I saw the ads when driving around Pleasant Hill and really wanted to go, just to experience it.
It's still going on tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2014, 7:04 PM

Quote:
It's still going on tomorrow.
After reading your comment, this pretty much sums it up for me:

Last edited by spyde12; 09-13-2014 at 7:05 PM.. Reason: I had to change to a more friendly meme :)
Old 09-13-2014, 11:01 PM

Can anyone post prices for 9mm and 45 ACP?
Old 09-13-2014, 11:29 PM

Better to pay that $10 for parking than get your car boosted on Geneva or the adjacent areas. The Sunnydale projects are nearby and the thugs are out "shopping" for valuables at your expense while you're inside the gun show shopping for guns and ammo.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Last show I went to was here in San Jose about 8-10 years ago. Sucked. At that time there were a couple of large tables of C&R, a few collectors with high priced items (pair of matched sequential serials colt peacemakers for $7200), lots of overpriced accessories, $18.00 ammo cans, etc. Definitely good beef jerky (but not as good as the stuff I make at home). Take a bottle of water/beverage or two with you and eat before you go, unless you want break the bank buying it at the show.

I did get a decent set of wax carving picks (of the dental style) for a good price, and some other odds and ends. But I don't think I'll be going back anytime soon.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 09-14-2014, 6:20 AM

I have been to their last shows as well as the one this weekend. I think there were only three or so vendors selling handguns, possibly around four selling various types of rifles. Of the handgun sellers, most of the guns were the standard large and well distributed manufacturers (Glock, SA, Sig, Beretta), although one of the vendors had several CZ and Browning and another had Kahr and probably other brands. A larger number of vendors were selling knives, and AR barrels, and of course, the bulk of the vendors were selling various gun and emergency accessories. For example, I purchased an ammo can, a secondary holster, a cleaning kit, as well as flashlights, water purification straws and notably ammo. There was one vendor selling bulk ammo, and several selling smaller amounts of ammo, all of which were close to online pricing. Since it appears that Marin county does not allow for online to home delivery of ammo, i essentially made my years' ammo purchase this past weekend.
Regards.
Old 09-14-2014, 7:42 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshooter99 View Post
Can anyone post prices for 9mm and 45 ACP?
I picked up a 1000rnd case of PMC Bronze 115gr FMJ for $227.99 + tax. In the end I paid $248.50. Better deals on line for sure but since I can't have ammo shipped to my house in Oakland, this worked out for me.
Old 09-14-2014, 9:54 AM

Quote:
I picked up a 1000rnd case of PMC Bronze 115gr FMJ for $227.99 + tax. In the end I paid $248.50. Better deals on line for sure but since I can't have ammo shipped to my house in Oakland, this worked out for me.
A buddy of mine in Oakland recently had ammo shipped from Cabela's.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:43 PM
CGN Contributor

Default Crossroads Gun Show

Quote:
Cross-posted from 2A Munitions. A lot of folks from different parts of the Country do not know that there is even a gun show ... or for that matter ... firearms owners in San Francisco ... or for that matter ... even in California!
I just got back from the San Francisco Gun Show. Yes, there is such a thing as the SF Gun show. Really ... it should be called the Daly City Cow Palace Gun show. SF seems to preempt a lot of things here in the greater SF Bay Area.

There were numerous vendors there. The crowds are all now down to much more normal pre-panic levels. I do not go to the shows to really save money. I consider the gas, parking and entry fees all as a part of an entertainment expense. For me; going to the gun show is about entertainment. I have gone to quite a few and came away happy and empty-handed. I would much rather spend $27.50 for gas, parking and entry fees than for a HAZMAT + shipping charge!

Of course there is the usual ZAP! sound of someone demonstrating a Taser or zap gun. There are the tables of cheap jewelry and preserved meat products. I went and bee-lined it to the reloading component vendors. The lines were much lower this time than during the panic. I was finding the following to be my general experience.

1. Of the best deals were the primers! I saw large rifle, large pistol going for $22/1000 or $110/5000! These prices were much better than the pre-panic $25/1000 prices. I went and snapped up a case, (5000) of the large pistol primers.

2. The small rifle and small pistol primers were going for around $20/1000 or $100/5000. These were Winchester and CCI primers. These are pretty darned good prices. I talked to the vendors and they tell me that primers are back in a big way.

3. Rifle powder was in very good supply. I saw, Reloder-15, Reloder-17, Reloder-22, H414, W760, Varget, IMR4350, AR COMP, IMR4064 and a bunch of other rifle powders both in both 1lb and 8lb kegs. The 1lb tubs were going for around $24/lb. The 8lb kegs were going for $190/keg. While not quite at the pre-panic levels... These prices are still pretty good ... especially if you consider HAZMAT and shipping and such.

4. There is PISTOL POWDER for sale there! Now this stuff was going for $27/lb or around $216 per 8lb keg. I saw ... HP38, W231, Titegroup, WSF, Bullseye and Unique. All of the 8lb kegs were sold out in the 1st 30 minutes. Almost all of the 1lb tubs were sold out in the 1st hour. The last to sell was the WSF. I believe not too many folks know how good WSF is for as a medium burn pistol powder. Eventually, all the tubs of the WSF were sold out too. At least there was this stuff available ... for the 1st time in a long time!

5. The lines for ammo were very modest and reasonable. I would say the main vendor, (The Miwall corporation), usually has the longest lines. This time, the line for the Miwall booth was around 30 minutes. This is not bad at all.

6. There were lots of .223, 9mm, .38spl, .357 and .40 S&W ammo available. I saw crates of this stuff everywhere. I saw FMJ .223 ammo going for $275/1000. This is an excellent price. This price is even lower than the pre-panic prices of around $320/1000 I saw in 2012 or thereabouts. There were also large crates of 9mm going for around $175/1000. This is an exceptionally good price for this stuff. I saw crates of 230 grain .45 ACP ball ammo going for around $275/1000. All of these prices looked very good.

7. I saw this booth hawking this stuff called Cherry Palms ... or something ... it looked like red lipstick gun-goo grease. The fellow manning the booth looked like a snake-oil salesman. To tell you the truth I love seeing booths like this. It reminds me of those fellows selling all kinds of emetics, liniments, purgatives, hair restoration and other such stuff at the county fair!

8. I saw a very rare species of ammo over at the gun show. I saw the 100 ct plastic boxes of 40 grain CCI minimag .22LR ammo! I did not buy any of the stuff. The fellow wanted $18/100. This comes out to $90/brick. At these prices I can purchase Eley Club or the SKJAGD or Wolf match ... I mean CCI minimag is good stuff, but it is not as good as the Eley, SKJAGD or Wolf!

9. The lowest prices I saw for .22LR was around $50 / brick for Remington golden bullets. This is still too pricey in my book.

10. I saw quite a few vendors selling .22LR ammo at the gun show. The prices were ranging from $50 to $110 per brick. The average price was about $60-$75 / brick. I saw a fellow selling CCI Blazer .22LR for around $75 / brick ... I mean really? I saw other folks selling Remington T-bolts for around $80 / brick ... needless to say ... I came back, and the stuff was still there. I mean ... why buy this stuff, when you can get decent 9mm for almost the same price? And if you reload ... the 9mm is cheaper than the .22LR.

I had a very good time at the gun show. I fully expect to see availability of all things guns go way up and the prices to continue to keep coming down ... even here in anti-gun California!

Read more: http://2amunitions.boards.net/thread...#ixzz3DKC1Rjm9