Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1986 View Post
I'm from SoCal but was able to visit the Dublin store while on vacation yesterday. I felt like prices were definitely higher than what I was used to down south, but I attributed that to cost of doing business in the area. Overall, neat store with a large selection of long guns. I also liked the vertical handgun rack. Any plans to head south?

Ps. I walked across the street to big 5 and got some 22lr and buckshot at better prices. They still had some in stock when I left. 40gr 1400+fps hollow points for $12
Thanks for coming by! Yes, there are plans to eventually expand, but I'm not sure of locations and when. The prices for ammo are still coming down, unfortunately, they are based on the inflated prices we had to pay to get them on order. Much of what we are seeing with the .22LR, powder, primers and common rounds are still based on orders we placed well before the store opened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
And the Cabot range fee is free for the day (Thanks Ivan) if you show them a sales receipt for a firearm purchase in the calendar year.
-g
If you buy a gun from us, you also get free range time. If you purchased a store previously and did not get the pass, please come by and see the guys in the gun department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
The wife & I went in there on Saturday to browse. Really nice place with a ton of stuff! Checked out the Wall of Guns. Cool way to display them! Almost museum-like. When we got there, a guy was looking at a Springfield EMP. The salesman, Mikki, noticed that I was eavesdropping and not-so-ninja-like watching as he showed him the pistol. After that guy left, we were still gawking at all of the guns and Mikki asked if we wanted to check it out. SURE!!! It was a nice little pistol, but a new gun just isn't in the cards right now. I noticed 3 new Les Baers, a few Colts, Springfields, Sigs and a TON of Kimbers. Nice selection.

Walking thru the store, the employees were all very nice and friendly. They all greeted us and made us feel welcome. Was surprised to see powder, primers and other reloading stuff.

I did see the door to the shooting range, but wasn't sure if I needed to check in first in the main area or what. So, just kept on browsing. (The sign is pretty non-descript).

All-in-all, a nice but pricey gun store and is quite welcome to see in the Tri-Valley area. Hopefully, GFOS will get some of there issues worked out (range pricing, brass collection etc). IMHO, the range rental would be a source of frequent recurring income since shooters don't have too many options in that neighborhood. Heck, if they made the range a much bigger part of their store and lowered the prices, allowed brass pick-up, they could stand to make quite the killing there. How many people would become weekly or semi-weekly shooters at an indoor range? Especially during the winter? The closest ranges to that store are Chabot, Livermore & USI and they're all outdoor ranges and at least 15 minutes away by freeway. The Dublin, San Ramon, Danville, Pleasanton area have a TON of people that live there. What a cool way to get them into the shooting sports if the range was more economical.

Not sure if this has been covered or not, but it would also be great if they hosted NRA Pistol classes, hunting classes, reloading classes etc. I for one would attend a reloading class.

Happy shooting and be safe!
Thanks for coming by, you can walk into the range from the main store if you wanted to rent guns or check out the range, but if you are bringing in firearms, we ask that you come in from the range entrance located on the side of the building for safety reasons. We will be offering classes, NRA based of course, but other training as well. Glad to hear you had a good experience and happy to hear Mikki was helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
Thanks again to Jerry and the rest of the GFOS crew today - for taking a decent chunk of time fixing a couple of issues with the rifle purchased there when they could have just told me to contact savage for warranty work.

It may not be the cheapest place around but in both shop and range you get great service.
You are absolutely welcome! If I have the means to help someone, I will do what I can. I follow the golden rule, treat people like you want to be treated, hopefully they will be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ghtw1ng View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I just saw this sign there today that says AR/AK pistols are GTG.

Yes, we allow both AR and Ak based pistols, arm braces are allowed assuming they are CA compliant. It took me a while to talk them into this one based on the issues at the Vacaville store, but hopefully this is proof that the management is different here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtcat9k View Post
Saw that sign last week, but neglected to mention it to everyone here. Don't think anyone else posted that up.

Picked up my CZ 455 the other day from them. Didn't realize it has a dovetail rail.
There are off the shelf rings for their base! Let me know if you need help, thanks again!

Quote:
For those looking for 22LR locally, GFOS has some in stock. Pricing isn't great, but what ya going to do.

CCI Green Tag
Federal Gold Match
Fiocchi Official 320
CCI Quiet
Federal Champion
We are working on that, keep an eye out for the sale prices, I was pushing for some less expensive alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Quin View Post
i just had to pay $25 each for me and my brother to shoot at the san leandro range. so $20 plus $10 for a additional shooter seemed fair to me.
Yeah, you need to take a range safety course/test that is similar to the HSC questions, but is open book. A friend of mine just did it, and he said it took a while, and it must be on certain days or something.

Thanks to all that have been coming by, my apologies for the lack of posting here since I've left. I've been in some serious and seriously boring training and have a whole week of it left. I will be hopefully expanding the knowledge base of some of the employees there with training on various items. We recently placed a relatively large Nightforce order, so I will be going over optics with some of the employees.

Jerry
Old 10-25-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin_GFOS View Post

If you buy a gun from us, you also get free range time.
I can vouch for this. After picking up my CZ, I was given a complimentary 30 minutes of range time. Paul was nice enough to give me 30 days to redeem it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 10-27-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Quin View Post
i just had to pay $25 each for me and my brother to shoot at the san leandro range. so $20 plus $10 for a additional shooter seemed fair to me.
That's because you didn't read the signs. $25 is the price if you REFUSE to take the safety quiz that's FREE of charge. Once you pass the test, you will be put on the list and it'll be $15 moving forward, plus you get a card so you'll never have to take the test again.

Also, unlike GFOS, it's $15 at the time of entry regardless when you leave. My bro-in law recently jailed an XD 5" from GFOS, but as soon as he took delivery, we drove to San Leandro to shoot it.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:28 PM

Oh man. From 2012-2013, I lived in Dublin, just two minutes away from the new range. It would have been so nice to be able to shoot there instead of driving to San Leandro.
Old 10-27-2014, 3:17 PM
TheAyatollahofRocknRolla!
CGN Contributor

Bought some flip-up covers, a pig tag and a game bag from there so far.

I have had pleasant, knowledgeable service each time.
"Let criminals out. Let illegals in. Let boys in the girls bathrooms. Condemn police officers. Abort babies. Pervert the children. Condemn Christians. Accept barbarity in the name of Islam. Overtax the hard working people. Coddle the lazy. That's the liberal way." -from a posting on "Yahoo"
Old 10-29-2014, 10:59 AM

Thumbs up Awesome time at GFOS

The range is nice, well ventilated, and clean. The guy at the counter was chill and made me feel welcome. Good place to shoot and good prices on the ammo too.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:01 AM

I have been in the Dublin store twice and both times the staff have been friendly and helpful

as for the Log Book, it is probably required by the fire dept for Powder as it was when I lived in San Diego.

But, I have no use for the range. all of my shooting is done at a minimum of 100 yds, so you never see me shooting in indoor ranges.

They do Have a CZ rifle that I have been looking for, but I have 2 guns being rebuilt right now and have to get them paid off first before I buy another gun.
IHMSA# 42084L
IHMSA News Editor
Old 11-04-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyde12 View Post
I can vouch for this. After picking up my CZ, I was given a complimentary 30 minutes of range time. Paul was nice enough to give me 30 days to redeem it.

How's the CZ treating you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgalang View Post
That's because you didn't read the signs. $25 is the price if you REFUSE to take the safety quiz that's FREE of charge. Once you pass the test, you will be put on the list and it'll be $15 moving forward, plus you get a card so you'll never have to take the test again.

Also, unlike GFOS, it's $15 at the time of entry regardless when you leave. My bro-in law recently jailed an XD 5" from GFOS, but as soon as he took delivery, we drove to San Leandro to shoot it.
Thank you and your brother in-law for coming by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckoner View Post
Oh man. From 2012-2013, I lived in Dublin, just two minutes away from the new range. It would have been so nice to be able to shoot there instead of driving to San Leandro.
If you ever come back into town, please stop on by! I have friends that live in San Leandro and have been coming to shoot here simply because they are tired of the smell from the garbage. It's strange, I could never smell it when inside shooting pistols, but I guess it just depends on when you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooligan View Post
Bought some flip-up covers, a pig tag and a game bag from there so far.

I have had pleasant, knowledgeable service each time.
Glad to hear it, thanks for coming by!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wenlee View Post
The range is nice, well ventilated, and clean. The guy at the counter was chill and made me feel welcome. Good place to shoot and good prices on the ammo too.
The ammo prices are slowly getting better, thanks for coming by and giving us the chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhagerty View Post
I have been in the Dublin store twice and both times the staff have been friendly and helpful

as for the Log Book, it is probably required by the fire dept for Powder as it was when I lived in San Diego.

But, I have no use for the range. all of my shooting is done at a minimum of 100 yds, so you never see me shooting in indoor ranges.

They do Have a CZ rifle that I have been looking for, but I have 2 guns being rebuilt right now and have to get them paid off first before I buy another gun.

Which CZ rifle were you looking at? We recently got a few more in, but they might have been all rimfires.

Jerry
Old 11-04-2014, 3:19 PM

Quote:

Which CZ rifle were you looking at? We recently got a few more in, but they might have been all rimfires.

Jerry
I was looking for a .22 CZ rifle to shoot smallbore Rifle Silhouette. we have found the CZ's are very accurate and a lot cheaper than an Anshutz
IHMSA# 42084L
IHMSA News Editor
Old 11-05-2014, 12:21 AM

Does anyone know if GFOS will participate in any black Friday type of sales? I'm itching for a pistol purchase but with BF being only 3 weeks away, I'm debating if I should wait.
Old 11-05-2014, 5:51 AM

Quote:
I was looking for a .22 CZ rifle to shoot smallbore Rifle Silhouette. we have found the CZ's are very accurate and a lot cheaper than an Anshutz
I recently bought a CZ 455 from them. I'm pretty happy with the accuracy for the price. 1 MOA w/ decent ammo.

Last edited by xtcat9k; 11-05-2014 at 5:56 AM..
Old 11-08-2014, 8:00 PM

Live in Danville and was driving by on 680 and saw Guns Fishing & Other Stuff from freeway and decided to stop in. They have a huge selection of long guns but did not check them out as wife was giving me the evil eye. I'll need to come in without her in the future. We checked out the range and the fees were 20 for 1 and 10 extra for 2 people per hour. Not too bad for an indoor range in the bay area. Rangemaster said if there are no people waiting in line you can shoot as long as you want.

Tons of primers but they need to drop $10 per thousand IMO - otherwise I'll continue buying large quantities on-line and pay the hazmat fees. 223 was $11 per 20 for PMC, Fed, etc. With the amount of stock they need to be ~ $7 before I buy instead of on-line. Cheapest bulk 9mm was blazer brass for $130 for 350 rounds or ~ $18.50 per round. Again they had a ton of it and I'd like to see it @ ~ 12-13 per 50 in bulk. They had a ton of shotgun shells but I did not really take the time to check out the prices. Nice selection of handguns - saw some Les Baers. Prices seem a tad high IMO.

All in all a really nice store in Dublin with great selection of guns, ammo, and accessories. Range looks top notch but I will not be able to shoot there as all my Glocks are standard capacity. Hopefully, prices on ammo and reloading will come down. If they do they will certainly see my business.

Good Luck.

Last edited by LMT4ME; 11-08-2014 at 8:06 PM..
Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Good choice, swing by and speak to Les, he's the gun manager. If they dont have it, he can get it ordered for you!

Quote:
Does anyone know if GFOS will participate in any black Friday type of sales? I'm itching for a pistol purchase but with BF being only 3 weeks away, I'm debating if I should wait.
Yes, but I'm not sure to what extent. I think there will be several handguns offered on sale.

Quote:
I recently bought a CZ 455 from them. I'm pretty happy with the accuracy for the price. 1 MOA w/ decent ammo.
Agreed, i love my CZ rifles, I have both 452 and 455, and can't really say which is better. Both have aftermarket triggers, the only issues I've had with the CZs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMT4ME View Post
Live in Danville and was driving by on 680 and saw Guns Fishing & Other Stuff from freeway and decided to stop in. They have a huge selection of long guns but did not check them out as wife was giving me the evil eye. I'll need to come in without her in the future. We checked out the range and the fees were 20 for 1 and 10 extra for 2 people per hour. Not too bad for an indoor range in the bay area. Rangemaster said if there are no people waiting in line you can shoot as long as you want.

Tons of primers but they need to drop $10 per thousand IMO - otherwise I'll continue buying large quantities on-line and pay the hazmat fees. 223 was $11 per 20 for PMC, Fed, etc. With the amount of stock they need to be ~ $7 before I buy instead of on-line. Cheapest bulk 9mm was blazer brass for $130 for 350 rounds or ~ $18.50 per round. Again they had a ton of it and I'd like to see it @ ~ 12-13 per 50 in bulk. They had a ton of shotgun shells but I did not really take the time to check out the prices. Nice selection of handguns - saw some Les Baers. Prices seem a tad high IMO.

All in all a really nice store in Dublin with great selection of guns, ammo, and accessories. Range looks top notch but I will not be able to shoot there as all my Glocks are standard capacity. Hopefully, prices on ammo and reloading will come down. If they do they will certainly see my business.

Good Luck.
If you are only limited by the capacity of the Glock magazines, you should be fine shooting at the range. I shoot with my pre-ban mags in my Sig there pretty frequently.

Jerry
Old 11-12-2014, 4:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well I called these guys about a PPT on Saturday which I needed to do. I spoke to a manager named "Ian." I told him what I needed and that I had taken time off work to meet another party coming from south bay. This was a middle point for us. He informed me that, "We don't do any PPTs on weekends. We are too busy" I told him that was a direct violation of state law and that he could not regulate PPT hours. It was part of his requirements as a FFL to facilitate them during business hours. He told me that if I mailed him all of my info and the other party as well as all the info on the gun he would try to, "Make an appointment." I told him just make a time to be there and I will be there. He then got snappy. I thanked him and hung up. I feel like dropping a dime on him and calling Kamela. I likely will do so. I tried to give GFOS another chance after a bad experience in their Vacaville store and seeing how cool Jerry was on this site. Bad idea on my part. They will never get any money of mine and they are not far from me. My advice to fellow Calgunners is to go to a store that wants your business and does not try to cheap out. If I was buying a Kimber from him he would likely come in on a day off. But when they make ten dollars only, avoiding a lawful obligation seems ok to them. Likely indicative of how they treat other transactions. I like Tracy Rifle more and more every day. They are worth the trip.

A freak without instruction, is headed for self destruction!!!

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!

"Your government's the gangster, so cut the crap!!!" Chuck D.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:03 PM

Well, the truth of the matter is, we are still shorthanded, especially on the weekends. It's not easy trying to find good help. I'm not sure who you spoke with, Ian works in the ammo department and isn't management. I got your emails but was not able to reply until now given my new work schedule, my apologies. PPT's are still somewhat of an issue for us, mainly because of the amount of time, but also because of how we log guns in and out of our system, which means a manager must be involved. I'm not saying either party is correct here, but the last transfer I personally did overy a weekend there took over an hour to complete simply because I was pulled in about 10 different directions. I'm sorry I couldn't help sooner.

Jerry
Old 11-14-2014, 1:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Well, the truth of the matter is, we are still shorthanded, especially on the weekends. It's not easy trying to find good help. I'm not sure who you spoke with, Ian works in the ammo department and isn't management. I got your emails but was not able to reply until now given my new work schedule, my apologies. PPT's are still somewhat of an issue for us, mainly because of the amount of time, but also because of how we log guns in and out of our system, which means a manager must be involved. I'm not saying either party is correct here, but the last transfer I personally did overy a weekend there took over an hour to complete simply because I was pulled in about 10 different directions. I'm sorry I couldn't help sooner.

Jerry

Well, my next call was to the DOJ. Kamela can call the store now and shed some light on the proper business practices regarding firearm transfers. I find it funny that you state that you cannot say that either party is correct. I think that Penal code 26700 is pretty crystal clear.

You must use a California FFL
28050 specifies a dealer licensed according to Penal Code 26700.
FFLs are required to conduct PPTs. In a March 6, 2001 memo "Requirement for Firearms Dealers to Conduct Private Party Transfers / Allowable Fees" the California Department of Justice states
Firearms dealers are required to conduct private party transfers
pursuant to Penal Code section 12071(b)(5). Dealers may not limit the
days or hours in which private party transfers are conducted.

I should have known that the same treatment of people would continue from the Vacaville store to here. I went to Tracy Rifle for my PPT and bought $120.00 worth of ammo from them while I was there by the way. Hopefully she will tune Ian up.

Last edited by BigPimping; 11-14-2014 at 1:53 PM..
Old 11-14-2014, 2:27 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
I should have known that the same treatment of people would continue from the Vacaville store to here.
From what I've read about the Vacaville store, Jerry's very presence and helpfulness on this board is proof that you are quite mistaken.
Old 11-14-2014, 2:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidFuzzle View Post
From what I've read about the Vacaville store, Jerry's very presence and helpfulness on this board is proof that you are quite mistaken.

Well my friend, all I can relate to is how bad Ian treated me and how I tried to explain the law to him and he did not care. Jerry is not Ian granted. But Ian is in a position where he should know the law and know that being rude, condescending and demeaning to customers is not a way to build a business. Especially when you are new to the area. It just places even more emphasis that some stores like Tracy Rifle or Sportsmans Arms in Petaluma get it right. Closer to me does not mean better I have learned.

Old 11-15-2014, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Well, the truth of the matter is, we are still shorthanded, especially on the weekends. It's not easy trying to find good help. I'm not sure who you spoke with, Ian works in the ammo department and isn't management... I'm sorry I couldn't help sooner.

Jerry
I'm not sure if you read the whole post from before, Ian is not a manager, and he doesn't even work in the gun department. I'm not sure if you misheard the name, Les is the manager for the gun side, Ian works at the ammo counter.

Quote:
Well, my next call was to the DOJ. Kamela can call the store now and shed some light on the proper business practices regarding firearm transfers. I find it funny that you state that you cannot say that either party is correct. I think that Penal code 26700 is pretty crystal clear.

You must use a California FFL
28050 specifies a dealer licensed according to Penal Code 26700.
FFLs are required to conduct PPTs. In a March 6, 2001 memo "Requirement for Firearms Dealers to Conduct Private Party Transfers / Allowable Fees" the California Department of Justice states
Firearms dealers are required to conduct private party transfers
pursuant to Penal Code section 12071(b)(5). Dealers may not limit the
days or hours in which private party transfers are conducted.

I should have known that the same treatment of people would continue from the Vacaville store to here. I went to Tracy Rifle for my PPT and bought $120.00 worth of ammo from them while I was there by the way. Hopefully she will tune Ian up.
If you can get ahold of Kamela, you have way more power than I/we do. The reason why I've said that I'm unclear who is correct in the situation is simply because I was told by two different DOJ auditors from two different counties that their stance regarding PPTs is simply that an FFL must be capable of performing the transfer if we can sell guns. I spoke with Les today, who said he spoke with someone regarding a PPT over the weekend. To keep things brief, he told me that he never told you he would not take you and your buddy. WHat he told you was that the only way he could make an appointment for you would be if you submitted names, firearm info, and confirmed that documentation was present. This is to simplify the process for the weekend, to make sure you two have your ducks in a row, and to streamline everything. Above all, it was to make sure he was there to log the gun into our system. Walking into the store and needing a PPT when we are busy will require a significant amount of time otherwise. If the buyer doesnt have an HSC card and you were selling him/her a pistol, it could take much longer.

Quote:
Well my friend, all I can relate to is how bad Ian treated me and how I tried to explain the law to him and he did not care. Jerry is not Ian granted. But Ian is in a position where he should know the law and know that being rude, condescending and demeaning to customers is not a way to build a business. Especially when you are new to the area. It just places even more emphasis that some stores like Tracy Rifle or Sportsmans Arms in Petaluma get it right. Closer to me does not mean better I have learned.
I'm not sure what you need here. If you just want someone to vent to regarding the miscommunication over the phone, PM me and I'll give you my cell number. It's Saturday night, I'm waiting to put my daughter to bed, I got time to talk. I'm sure there have been other CG members that have dealt with Les, and they can agree that he's a teddy bear.

Enjoy your new firearm and ammo purchased!!

Jerry
Old 11-15-2014, 6:32 PM

Right there ^^^^ is the biggest reason why this is nothing like the Vacaville location. Great customer service

Old 11-15-2014, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidFuzzle View Post
Just can't win them all... have a good evening CG!

Jerry
Old 11-15-2014, 8:59 PM

I just wanted to chime in on this, I recently did a PPT transaction at GFOS in Dublin and was actually treated quite nicely by everyone I encountered. The younger and older lady at the front desk were helpful and polite when I brought in my firearm. The guys behind the handgun counter in back promptly did the PPT as well. I even joked around with them about the XDS gun mats since its not something they can even sell (since they don't do SSE). All in all i was pleasantly surprised. Reminded me of a much bigger Tuners, but without the Turners attitude. I'm glad to see that this side of the bay has a Gun store like this. As for the gun range, I'm going to have to pass, at $20/hr their are much better options locally for way less.
Old 11-15-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Well I called these guys about a PPT on Saturday which I needed to do. I spoke to a manager named "Ian." I told him what I needed and that I had taken time off work to meet another party coming from south bay. This was a middle point for us. He informed me that, "We don't do any PPTs on weekends. We are too busy" I told him that was a direct violation of state law and that he could not regulate PPT hours. It was part of his requirements as a FFL to facilitate them during business hours. He told me that if I mailed him all of my info and the other party as well as all the info on the gun he would try to, "Make an appointment." I told him just make a time to be there and I will be there. He then got snappy. I thanked him and hung up. I feel like dropping a dime on him and calling Kamela. I likely will do so. I tried to give GFOS another chance after a bad experience in their Vacaville store and seeing how cool Jerry was on this site. Bad idea on my part. They will never get any money of mine and they are not far from me. My advice to fellow Calgunners is to go to a store that wants your business and does not try to cheap out. If I was buying a Kimber from him he would likely come in on a day off. But when they make ten dollars only, avoiding a lawful obligation seems ok to them. Likely indicative of how they treat other transactions. I like Tracy Rifle more and more every day. They are worth the trip.

Try calling Eddy's or Bay Area Gun Vault in Mountainview, where they will flat out tell you when you can or cannot do a PPT. One place will tell you no PPTs on weekends and the other (BAGV) will make you wait until every "paying customer" has been taken care of first. Even Uncle V's place will say no PPTs during the last hour of the day. Reeds is a hit or miss place too, BUT there a many good LGSs that will not give you sh*t about PPTs.

"Saying we don't need guns because we have cops is like saying we don't need fire extinguishers because we have firefighters"

"My lemonade stand was robbed once by two thieves. I shot them both. No more robberies."

"Went to the Giants game yesterday. For opsec reasons I said I was going next week. Can never be to careful."

Last edited by fishhoppa; 11-15-2014 at 10:19 PM..
Old 11-16-2014, 4:58 PM

Is there a list of guns for rent at the Dublin location?
Old 11-16-2014, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

Is this shooting range brass only, or can we shoot steelcase?
Old 11-16-2014, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhoppa View Post
[...] the other (BAGV) will make you wait until every "paying customer" has been taken care of first.
Hasn't been my experience w/ BAGV. Walked in with a seller, was dealt with in a quick professional manner, in between other customers, during a busy time. I've also purchased new and never had an issue. Like any other retail establishment, they are first come first served.

I can also recommend Bullseye in Marin. Very quick to do a PPT, and they even gave me free range time!
Old 11-16-2014, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven View Post
I'd call and double check but here's what I found on their homepage.
Old 11-17-2014, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renardsubtil View Post
I'd call and double check but here's what I found on their homepage.
I don't think that list reflects their Dublin location inventory yet. Best to call.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorance View Post
I just wanted to chime in on this, I recently did a PPT transaction at GFOS in Dublin and was actually treated quite nicely by everyone I encountered. The younger and older lady at the front desk were helpful and polite when I brought in my firearm. The guys behind the handgun counter in back promptly did the PPT as well. I even joked around with them about the XDS gun mats since its not something they can even sell (since they don't do SSE). All in all i was pleasantly surprised. Reminded me of a much bigger Tuners, but without the Turners attitude. I'm glad to see that this side of the bay has a Gun store like this. As for the gun range, I'm going to have to pass, at $20/hr their are much better options locally for way less.
I'm glad you had a good overall experience with the store, if there's anything I can do to help you further, please let me know. Don't forget about the happy hour range fees we offer, if you can make it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edraven View Post
It's been growing as we go, but as of now, we should have almost 40 guns to rent. If there's something we don't have, and I do personally, we can always arrange a day and time for me to meet you there, and you are more than welcome to shoot mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DoorImpala View Post
Is this shooting range brass only, or can we shoot steelcase?
You can shoot steel case or aluminum cased rounds at your leisure.

Quote:
I don't think that list reflects their Dublin location inventory yet. Best to call.
I believe the list posted is specifically for the Vacaville store. They've had years to build their rental list, and we are still working on it.. .hahahah

Jerry
Old 11-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome thanks, see you guys this Saturday.
Old 11-18-2014, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Just can't win them all... have a good evening CG!

Jerry
Jerry,

I hope you can point me to the right direction. I've been trying to transfer a pistol to GFOS for a week! According to the GFOS staff I spoke to on the phone, GFOS will not release their CA ID to a private party. HOWEVER...the online vendor I purchased the pistol from (ZRTS) has been trying to reach you guys without success. I am very close to choosing a different FFL. Help?

-Ernest
Old 11-19-2014, 8:19 PM

Wouldn't mind making a visit. But $20/hour is expensive. Especially when there are other ranges that charge about that much as a flat fee for unlimited lane time.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 11-19-2014 at 8:22 PM..
Old 11-20-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Awesome thanks, see you guys this Saturday.
Sounds good, Les should be there pretty much all day as well.

Quote:
Jerry,

I hope you can point me to the right direction. I've been trying to transfer a pistol to GFOS for a week! According to the GFOS staff I spoke to on the phone, GFOS will not release their CA ID to a private party. HOWEVER...the online vendor I purchased the pistol from (ZRTS) has been trying to reach you guys without success. I am very close to choosing a different FFL. Help?

-Ernest
Ernest, I just sent you a PM replying to yours. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
Wouldn't mind making a visit. But $20/hour is expensive. Especially when there are other ranges that charge about that much as a flat fee for unlimited lane time.
My previous post on page four, also on the first post.

The new range fees have been added. Hopefully it will help those of you that were not happy, but I was only able to get specials during certain days and hours.

Standard fees:

$20 per hour for first shooter
$10 per hour for second shooter
$1 for eyes or ears

Specials:

Mon-Wed 9am to 3pm
$15 per hour for first shooter
$8 per hour for second shooter

$39.99 for any 9mm pistol rental, ammo, eyes, ears, and one target
$44.99 for any .40S&W pistol rental, ammo, eyes, ears, and one target
Any gun rental is $10 (for Kimber 1911s and AR)

Hope this helps the lunch crowd.

Jerry
Old 11-20-2014, 11:29 PM

I spoke with someone today who was planning to take visitor from out of town to the range. He said cost is irrelevant when the weather is this bad. No one will be at the outdoor ranges... I think the San Leandro range is probably the best bet otherwise, since it's half and half. When it's this cold outside, the garbage next door tends to smell a bit less too.

Jerry
Old 11-22-2014, 9:18 PM
Veteran Member

Just did my first PPT here today, (Saturday). Here is my experience.

Just as a note, GFOS does NOT DO PPT's ON WEEKENDS!

I had called in yesterday to confirm that GFOS would perform a PPT on weekends because I know there are some shops that will not do them due to customer volume on weekends. The person I had spoken to told me that they did do PPTs on the weekend, and I even had to confirm it again, and asked, "are you SURE that you can do PPTs on weekends?"... "Yes"... Okay, so I have my seller from Manteca drive all the way to Dublin today, and upon arrival, the general manager (I forgot his name) had told us that they in fact DO NOT do PPT's on weekends, however because the buyer came so far and we were given false information, he made an exception, which was very kind and professional.

The transaction itself went fairly smoothly. I was given time to inspect the pistol, and didn't feel rushed throughout the procedure. The only thing I didn't expect or enjoyed was being forced to pay for a $10 cable lock.... I could have probably purchased a cheap cable lock online and showed him the receipt for it, but he was pretty adamant about me buying the lock... so I did anyways. Cost for DROS + lock was $45 + tax.

Anyways, thank you to the GM for doing the PPT for us. I hope GFOS will reconsider doing PPTs on the weekends, as I'm fairly certain it is required by law, which obviously should trump any kind of store policy.

We'll see in 10 days how the pick-up goes.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

We went yesterday with a few buddies to shoot before we went to the strip clubs. Everyone was cool. The weapons check took a little longer. But thats probably because we took a few. Im the guy with the kimber everyone liked
The store layout is is nice and organzied too
Old 11-23-2014, 6:05 PM
Veteran Member

Went to the range planning on shooting today since I had my gun in 10 day jail here. One employee I had talked to a couple weeks ago told me that if your gun was in 10 day wait, that I would be able to use it at the range. I asked to use my gun today, and instead I was told that even though I had paid for it, CA state law says it is still technically not mine, and they would not let me use it... Anyways, I left and went to USI in Concord.

Consistency in the knowledge of policies would be great. Every time I receive conflicting information I lose a little bit of faith.
Old 11-24-2014, 4:16 PM

Any Black Friday sales/deals up yet? Nothing on the website.
Old 11-26-2014, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
Just did my first PPT here today, (Saturday). Here is my experience.

Just as a note, GFOS does NOT DO PPT's ON WEEKENDS!

I had called in yesterday to confirm that GFOS would perform a PPT on weekends because I know there are some shops that will not do them due to customer volume on weekends. The person I had spoken to told me that they did do PPTs on the weekend, and I even had to confirm it again, and asked, "are you SURE that you can do PPTs on weekends?"... "Yes"... Okay, so I have my seller from Manteca drive all the way to Dublin today, and upon arrival, the general manager (I forgot his name) had told us that they in fact DO NOT do PPT's on weekends, however because the buyer came so far and we were given false information, he made an exception, which was very kind and professional.

The transaction itself went fairly smoothly. I was given time to inspect the pistol, and didn't feel rushed throughout the procedure. The only thing I didn't expect or enjoyed was being forced to pay for a $10 cable lock.... I could have probably purchased a cheap cable lock online and showed him the receipt for it, but he was pretty adamant about me buying the lock... so I did anyways. Cost for DROS + lock was $45 + tax.

Anyways, thank you to the GM for doing the PPT for us. I hope GFOS will reconsider doing PPTs on the weekends, as I'm fairly certain it is required by law, which obviously should trump any kind of store policy.

We'll see in 10 days how the pick-up goes.
I'm glad it went well so far, I think the main problem is, when we have too many people in one part of the store, at times another department will try to pick up the slack with phone calls, and could potentially give out the wrong information. One of those "no good deed goes unpunished" types of things I guess. Thanks for coming by, hope the pick up goes well too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
Went to the range planning on shooting today since I had my gun in 10 day jail here. One employee I had talked to a couple weeks ago told me that if your gun was in 10 day wait, that I would be able to use it at the range. I asked to use my gun today, and instead I was told that even though I had paid for it, CA state law says it is still technically not mine, and they would not let me use it... Anyways, I left and went to USI in Concord.

Consistency in the knowledge of policies would be great. Every time I receive conflicting information I lose a little bit of faith.
I agree, but unfortunately, we do not allow people to shoot guns during their 10 day hold simply because if you are denied or delayed for whatever reason, and cannot take possession of the firearm, then we have to put it back out for sale. Then we would need to sell it at a loss as a used gun, which would be pointless for us.

Quote:
We went yesterday with a few buddies to shoot before we went to the strip clubs. Everyone was cool. The weapons check took a little longer. But thats probably because we took a few. Im the guy with the kimber everyone liked
The store layout is is nice and organzied too
Nice, guns and boobs! Did you guys happen to use the side entrance or the main one? If you bring firearms in from the side, the checking process goes much easier. Anyway, hope you guys had fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ghtw1ng View Post
Any Black Friday sales/deals up yet? Nothing on the website.
I haven't been by the store recently simply because audit season is upon us, and my real job has consumed much more time that usual. I'll see what I can find out and get back to you guys ASAP, but I'm sure there will be some killer deals regardless.

Jerry
Old 11-30-2014, 1:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I agree, but unfortunately, we do not allow people to shoot guns during their 10 day hold simply because if you are denied or delayed for whatever reason, and cannot take possession of the firearm, then we have to put it back out for sale. Then we would need to sell it at a loss as a used gun, which would be pointless for us.

Jerry
Ya it would make sense if it were a brand new gun that I had purchased from the shop, but it was a PPT. I had already given the money to the old owner. I sure hope the gun store wouldn't CLAIM the gun as theirs if I was ever denied even after having paid someone for a PPT. That seems like pretty blatant theft.