Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-09-2019, 11:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess B. Guy View Post
I haven't forgotten nor been goofing off. Politics is a strange game (and I ain't a politician). I'm involved in about 6 gun cases (for which I get paid), but still working on a scheme to move the CCW process along. Apologies to all.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 07-09-2019, 11:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I haven't forgotten nor been goofing off. Politics is a strange game (and I ain't a politician). I'm involved in about 6 gun cases (for which I get paid), but still working on a scheme to move the CCW process along. Apologies to all.

Thank you for your help.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Old 07-11-2019, 6:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If you can have LS replaced as Sheriff that would be a good start Thanks for your work on this topic!
Old 07-11-2019, 6:47 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K001 View Post
If you can have LS replaced as Sheriff that would be a good start Thanks for your work on this topic!
Good Luck, we’ve tried 2 times now. Even LEO’s I’ve talked to want her out.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Acc to this new article (2019 July 12), on 2018 July 01, Santa Clara Co had 113 CCWs for a population of ~2M. It does not specify if those are only 2 year CCWs or include 3 year (judicial) and 4 year (reserves) CCWs.
https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...232198382.html

In comparison, Fresno Co had 17,500 CCWs for a pop of ~1M. IOW, if Sheriff Laurie Smith issued at the rate of Sheriff Margaret Mims, Santa Clara Co would have ~35,000 CCWers! Mims doesn't have any problems with her CCWers, so why doesn't Smith issue like Mims???

Last edited by Paladin; 07-18-2019 at 11:13 PM..
Old 07-18-2019, 11:32 PM
Calguns Addict

I just found this post I had posted in the wrong county awhile ago....

In case there's anyone who lives in Santa Clara Co (I don't) who wants to do something they can do from home to promote SC Co SO CCWs, just look at what these SoCal folk are doing on Facebook and do similar, but for the entire county and/or major Santa Clara Co cities:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1507548

Plus, you can't get ready too early for the next sheriff's election. It's only 3 years away (2022 June) and the candidates have to file ~2.5 years away (2022 Feb, IIRC) and if, rather than being passive, you want to be active in identifying and encouraging a pro-CCW candidate to run, that knocks off another half year and if you want to undermine the incumbent's support to weaken them, that pushes it back to summer 2021 -- just 2 years away. Not much time to build up an organization large enough to swing a sheriff's election.

To see what it took San Diego Co Gun Owners to get Gore to change his Good Cause policy and start readily issuing CCWs, see: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1473169

Old 07-22-2019, 3:59 PM
Veteran Member

Interesting read...

https://medium.com/@clong/applying-f...y-dd3995f80545
Old 07-22-2019, 4:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post

Preaching to the choir...and in other news water is wet!
Old 07-22-2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Great work on behalf of the author. Sadly, none of this was particularly surprising. We already knew that wealthy/connected government and executive types were able to get permits. The relatively 'weak' good cause statements that were approved for a permit is further evidence of the corruption of this process. The bit about the backlog being a fabrication should be obvious enough by now to those who saw Jess Guy's comment about CCW applications being discarded after a year, and the deputies being almost unreachable begins to seem like they are just trying to run out the clock on that yearly expiration for the application.

Shameful.
NRA Personal Protection in the Home
NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home
NRA Refuse to be A Victim
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Happy to offer private instruction to individuals or couples.
Register To Vote Online: Take Back Our State From the Antis!
Old 07-23-2019, 5:46 AM

I applied on 2/20/19. I waited until 6/1 to contact for a status update, and received no response to a voicemail. Since then, I've tried multiple emails with no response.
I'm really not sure what the best approach would be at this point. On one hand, I don't want to wait a year or more and still be in limbo, and I don't want to piss them off with inquiries.
Old 07-23-2019, 9:29 AM
Calguns Addict

On the one hand....

Quote:
Full disclosure...I've known Sheriff Smith for over 35 years. I had a sit down with her about three weeks ago on an unrelated non-firearms matter. We did get around to talking about issuance of CCW's. She is issuing them - albeit slowly. I know she had a recent change in administrative personnel handling the CCW applications. She is not ignoring them.

I've read a great many negative things on this forum about her. I have no opinion other than to state I've always found her to be up front to me. Others certainly differ - OK.

If you live in Santa Clara County go ahead and apply. If you applied over a year ago - do it again. They are looking at updated applications.
On the other hand....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMorganHill View Post
I applied on 2/20/19. I waited until 6/1 to contact for a status update, and received no response to a voicemail. Since then, I've tried multiple emails with no response.
I'm really not sure what the best approach would be at this point. On one hand, I don't want to wait a year or more and still be in limbo, and I don't want to piss them off with inquiries.
Whom to believe? "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

Last edited by Paladin; 07-23-2019 at 9:48 AM..
Old 07-23-2019, 9:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That was a painful read.

He says,
Quote:
At some point back in 2013, I sent a CCW application to the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office (SCCSO) via certified mail and never heard back. In May 2017, I polled some colleagues and asked if anyone who had submitted a CCW application had ever had a follow up from the SCCSO. The response was unanimously “no”. I found this to be unacceptable, so I decided in 2019 that I would file another application with the determination to follow up on the status of my application by any legal means necessary.
yet he didn't hire a lawyer? How does he even know what "legal means" are available without hiring a lawyer (unless he's a lawyer himself)?

He didn't even mail in his app using that delivery method where someone has to sign a post card the PO mails back to the sender to prove delivery (date, person who received it, etc)?

He doesn't provide the date he had his Livescan/fingerprinting done? (After that the background check can begin, starting the timer on the other key deadline, when DOJ informs IA of result)

Once both deadlines pass ("The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90 days of the initial application for a new license or a license renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant’s criminal background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later."), he could have asked a state judge for a writ of mandamus ordering Smith to make a determination. But I guess since he didn't hire a lawyer he didn't know that....

If, as he claims, he had equal or better GC than people who had been issued, he could have threatened to file a 14th A Equal Protection lawsuit using Guillory v. County of Orange/Gates. But again, since he didn't use a lawyer he wouldn't know about that and didn't begin the entire process with that end in mind....

Like I said: that was a painful read, but not because of the reason the applicant may have thought. Oh well.

What I'd like to know is why the denial mentions he's in Sunnyvale. Does the sheriff require a prior denial from Sunnyvale PD before processing residents' apps? Has the sheriff entered into a MOU with Sunnyvale PD where the sheriff won't issue to Sunnyvale residents ("reverse 'G'" MOUs were made legal a few years ago)? (No lawyer, again.) If neither, why does the denial letter even bring that up?

ETA: Also, see my post #805 above.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-23-2019 at 9:50 AM..
Old 07-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

If, as he claims, he had equal or better GC than people who had been issued, he could have threatened to file a 14th A Equal Protection lawsuit using Guillory v. County of Orange/Gates. But again, since he didn't use a lawyer he wouldn't know about that and didn't begin the entire process with that end in mind....
There was an excerpt of the FOIA good causes document he received and one of them had "Family Protection" listed as good cause, so I think it's fair to assume that his GC was at least on par
Old 07-23-2019, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Hopefully, within a year, we'll win at SCOTUS a 2nd A Right (i.e., no permit required) to loaded Open Carry (LOC). If so, out of thanks to RINOs Sheriff Smith, Ahern (Ala Co) and Livingston (CoCoCo) for not issuing CCWs for "citizen safety" (cf "officer safety" and "public safety"), CGNers in those counties should plan on, plan for and carry out various public LOC events. WASTE LE resources by NOT notifying them ahead of time what, when and where you're doing it. (Unlike the courtesy we gave them back in, what was it, 2010?) Let them run their SWAT teams ragged responding to "men (yes, plural) with guns" calls all over the county.

IMO, LOC events should be held regardless of whether we also win Shall Issue CCW permits from SCOTUS, Sacto and/or the Sheriff. This will be for no other reason than to give these anti sheriffs and Sacto a big "F You!" in return for them requiring all of us to be disarmed in public, and being a secondary cause for many of us to be mugged, maimed, "comatosed", raped and/or manslaughter/murdered over the decades.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-24-2019 at 9:10 PM..
Old 07-23-2019, 10:06 AM

Thanks for your additional info Paladin. I've sent another email for all the good it will probably do. Next step would be a registered letter.

Hello -

I have tried via email and voice mail to get an update on my CCW application which was submitted to SCSO on Feb 20, 2019.

My understanding is that "The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90 days of the initial application for a new license or a license renewal”. We are now beyond that 90 day period by about 60 days.

I would prefer to go through the normal process, but the lack of response to basic questions makes me wonder if applications are even being reviewed. Is a writ of mandamus required to get a response?

Thank you for your consideration,
full contact info
Old 07-23-2019, 10:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMorganHill View Post
If one is trying to build a factual record of the process and its timing, an old-fashioned certified letter might serve better than VMs and emails.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Calguns Addict

It’s important to know the source of the quoted citation: CA Penal Code section 26205, and use the whole citation:
Quote:
The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90 days of the initial application for a new license or a license renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant’s criminal background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later.
Note that last part. Paladin emphasized this, above. It would be helpful to be able to show documentation, including the ATI number, of the LiveScan as a start-point for the investigation.

Also, address your correspondence to the Sheriff, directly. That eliminates the, “I didn’t know this,” defense.

SHERIFF LAURIE SMITH
55 W. YOUNGER AVENUE
SAN JOSE, CA 95110

Certified mail gives you a document showing when you mailed it, and ensuring a return receipt is included (hard copy or electronic) provides you with a date received and the signature of the person who received it (it’ll be someone in the mailroom).

Basic rule: Never enter a pissing contest with someone standing on a roof.

Some guidelines:
1. Write to succeed, not to vent or to exact punishment. The point is to win.

2. Always write with the thought of, “How will this look in front of a judge?” It’ll help if the battle continues.

3. Don’t make your letter a threat. It won’t budge a bureaucracy, and cops don’t respond to threats. If you threaten a writ, the Sheriff will immediately route the letter to legal, and you’ll be lost in the legal system. If you get a lawyer and pay for the writ, the Sheriff will simply turn it over to legal...it’ll be their problem....and your retainer.

4. Be cooperative, not belligerent. “Perhaps my understanding is incorrect, but I thought the time for reply on an application is.....”. As of xxxxxxxxx, we are yyy days past that point.

5. Close with a request for reply by a certain date....no threats (or else, etc.).
Good luck.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 07-23-2019 at 11:22 AM..
Old 07-23-2019, 11:18 AM

Thank you Dvrjon. I did not send in the LiveScan as the instructions said just the application and good cause to begin the initial process. I think I may start all over again with the LiveScan and addressed directly to Sheriff Smith.

Jon
Old 07-24-2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
That was a painful read.

He says,
yet he didn't hire a lawyer? How does he even know what "legal means" are available without hiring a lawyer (unless he's a lawyer himself)?

He didn't even mail in his app using that delivery method where someone has to sign a post card the PO mails back to the sender to prove delivery (date, person who received it, etc)?

He doesn't provide the date he had his Livescan/fingerprinting done? (After that the background check can begin, starting the timer on the other key deadline, when DOJ informs IA of result)

Once both deadlines pass ("The licensing authority shall give this notice within 90 days of the initial application for a new license or a license renewal, or 30 days after receipt of the applicant’s criminal background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later."), he could have asked a state judge for a writ of mandamus ordering Smith to make a determination. But I guess since he didn't hire a lawyer he didn't know that....

Like I said: that was a painful read, but not because of the reason the applicant may have thought. Oh well.

What I'd like to know is why the denial mentions he's in Sunnyvale. Does the sheriff require a prior denial from Sunnyvale PD before processing residents' apps? Has the sheriff entered into a MOU with Sunnyvale PD where the sheriff won't issue to Sunnyvale residents ("reverse 'G'" MOUs were made legal a few years ago)? (No lawyer, again.) If neither, why does the denial letter even bring that up?

Even if he hire a lawyer, they would deny him anyway. The only mean to get CCW is just to leave this completely corrupt and unconstitutional state. That's what I'm personally planning to do. Few days ago I was denied gun purchase based that the revolver I wanted to buy didn't have letter "A" engraved somewhere. The letter is actually makes a difference whether I allowed to buy a gun or not, which is completely insane!
Old 07-24-2019, 9:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugi View Post
Even if he hire a lawyer, they would deny him anyway. The only mean to get CCW is just to leave this completely corrupt and unconstitutional state. That's what I'm personally planning to do. Few days ago I was denied gun purchase based that the revolver I wanted to buy didn't have letter "A" engraved somewhere. The letter is actually makes a difference whether I allowed to buy a gun or not, which is completely insane!
Welcome, low post count (only 2 posts) relative newbie!

Because of that, I'll just politely point out that there were >120,000 CA CCWers of 2018 July 01 (see: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...232198382.html). That's about 3x as many as we averaged between 1987 and 2007.

Over half of CA's population lives in counties that readily issue CCWs.

We have not had ONE country go from liberal issuance to restrictive, just like on the national level we've not had ONE state go from liberal issuance to restrictive. IOW, non-stop wins! Compare the 2009 CCW GC map to the current one. Heck, we've won 3 out of the 9 SF Bay Area counties! (Sonoma, Napa and Solano)

Sure, we haven't won the remaining anti counties (yet), but we're hoping for more improvement this year (Yolo Co) and statewide improvement if we win a 2nd A case at SCOTUS that rules either on Carry directly or indirectly (strict scrutiny (which will probably shoot down many gun regs, like the handgun roster as well)) by July 01 of next year.

Move out of state if you want. But if you want a CA CCW now you just move to a light or dark green county.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-25-2019 at 9:31 AM..
Old 07-25-2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Welcome, low post count (only 2 posts) relative newbie!

Because of that, I'll just politely point out that there were >120,000 CA CCWers of 2018 July 01 (see: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...232198382.html). That's about 3x as many as we averaged between 1987 and 2007.

Over half of CA's population lives in counties that readily issue CCWs.

We have not had ONE country go from liberal issuance to restrictive, just like on the national level we've not had ONE state go from liberal issuance to restrictive. IOW, non-stop wins! Compare the 2009 CCW GC map to the current one. Heck, we've won 3 out of the 9 SF Bay Area counties! (Sonoma, Napa and Solano)

Sure, we haven't won the remaining anti counties (yet), but we're hoping for more improvement this year (Yolo Co) and statewide improvement if we win a 2nd A case at SCOTUS that rules either on Carry directly or indirectly (strict scrutiny (which will probably shoot down many gun regs, like the handgun roster as well)) by July 01 of next year.

Move out of state if you want. But if you want a CA CCW now you just move to a light or dark green county.
Moving to another county is a half-measure. It's still f-king Communazifornia.
And since there is no Smith's replacement on horizon, there will be no issue in SC county. It may take another 8 years to replace her. I'm 13 years here and it's getting worse every year. I'd rather move out of state. Enough is enough!
Old 08-02-2019, 9:34 PM

Has anyone had any luck?
Old 08-07-2019, 3:34 PM

Ruh-row;

http://www.sanjoseinside.com/2019/08...ruption-probe/

Wednesday, August 7, 2019
DA Targets Sheriff’s Inner Circle in Apparent Corruption Probe
By Jennifer Wadsworth

Quote:
Laurie Smith is once again under the microscope.

Though it took the targets of the search by surprise, the seizure of cell phones, computers and electronic records was months in the making.

The Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office served a search warrant early Aug. 2 at Sheriff Laurie Smith’s command hub as part of a hushed, drawn-out investigation into one of Silicon Valley’s most prominent and enduring local political figures.

A spokesman for DA Jeff Rosen confirmed the search but declined to share much more in the way of detail. “The District Attorney’s Office retrieved certain items from the Sheriff’s Office, pursuant to a search warrant signed by a Santa Clara County Superior Court judge,” DA officials replied on Friday when reached for comment. “The retrieved items are part of an ongoing investigation, and therefore nothing more can be said at this time.”

That’s all anyone’s saying—at least on the record.

Under the cloak of anonymity, sources from other wings of the county’s sprawling bureaucracy corroborated enough details to sketch a rough outline of the inquiry. It involves concealed weapons permits, a large campaign donation of uncertain origin and at least one member of the sheriff’s inner circle: Capt. James Jensen.

Sheriff Smith didn’t respond to San Jose Inside’s queries about the search. Neither did Jensen, whose mobile phone went straight to voicemail. Nor her No. 2, Undersheriff Rick Sung. The sheriff’s longtime political adviser, attorney Rich Robinson, says he only learned about the search warrant in question when asked about it for this story. County Counsel James Williams had his secretary relay a “no comment.” But sources familiar with the events unfolding these past few days say they’re unsurprised by the DA’s inquiry.

“I know people do approach her for favors, for special privileges, especially during campaigns,” a veteran county law enforcement official says of the career law-woman. “But she always had a protector. You know what I mean? She’d have someone else do these things for her.”

Increasingly these past couple years, that’s been Jensen, who faithfully served Smith amidst his breakneck ascent from PIO to sergeant, lieutenant and captain.

Of course, when it comes time to sign for a concealed-gun authorization, the buck stops with Sheriff Smith. And this wouldn’t be the first time she’s come under fire for the way she doles out the coveted permits, or gives preferential treatment to people with clout.

While DA officials have been tight-lipped about what exactly they hope to find, a study of last year’s campaign records might offer some clues. In San Jose Inside’s review of financial filings, there’s one in particular that stands out: a Form 460 prepared by a pro-Smith independent expenditure committee called the Santa Clara County Public Safety Alliance. It names Jim Campagna, SnapFi CEO and self-described “king of mortgage brokers,” as treasurer and prominent attorney Chris Schumb as assistant treasurer.

The committee reported a total fundraising haul of $85,000 from July 1 to Oct. 20 last year and spent $93,000 on social media advertising during a four-month period.

About half of the money raised comprised several $5,000-apiece donations from Schumb, personal injury law firm Corsiglia, McMahon & Allard, real estate investor Lance Tate, Nvidia co-founder Chris Malachowsky, ROEM Development Corporation, All Seasons Roofing & Waterproofing, Cybersci Inc. and Valley Water board member Gary Kremen of Match.com fame.

The other half of that fundraising total comes from a single donor of mysterious provenance. On Oct. 4, 2018, Martin Nielsen, who’s logged on the form as “executive protection manager” at AS Solutions, chipped in $45,000.

That’s an oddly generous gift for a bodyguard, even for one who has protected at least one billionaire. Maybe the DA’s public integrity unit thought so, too.
First Lady

In the 20 years since becoming the first woman sworn in as sheriff in California, 67-year-old Laurie Smith has secured one election after another. Since her 1973 swearing-in as a deputy sheriff matron, the only position available to women at the time, the Michigan transplant rose through the ranks in a career marked by a series of firsts.

As a young officer, she became the agency’s first woman to work as a full-time undercover vice cop, posing in turn as a sex worker, a junkie and a purveyor of pilfered goods. After years laboring away in the patrol division, she became watch commander over the county’s two jails. In the early 1990s, Sheriff Chuck Gillingham promoted her to assistant sheriff. And in 1998, another first: Smith handily won the election to her current post, becoming the first woman in the agency’s 150-year history to take the helm and the first in the state to don the sheriff’s badge.

Over the course of her two decades in office, Sheriff Smith has also weathered one scandal after another—the worst of which involved the 2015 brutal beating death of mentally ill inmate Michael Tyree by three jail guards. The murder kicked off a slew of lawsuits and sweeping reforms at the county’s two jails. Within the past year, a federal consent decree elevated those initiatives to a legal mandate.

Internal unrest and public scrutiny notwithstanding, Smith has maintained power by rewarding fealty from subordinates and forging an improbable alliance with both the labor and business communities. Another factor in her durability has been a perennial lack of heavyweight political challengers.

Granted, last year’s race against her mild-mannered ex-second-in-charge, retired Undersheriff John Hirokawa, pushed her into a runoff for the first time ever. But Smith went on to land an unprecedented sixth term in the fall rematch despite a challenge funded by the cantankerous Deputy Sheriffs’ Association, which backed her opponent.

Barely a year into Smith’s latest term, however, the cracks again are beginning to show. And some of the people closest to her seem to be caught in the fissures.

It’s unclear whether the incidents are related, but authorities served the search warrant just two days after Sheriff Smith abruptly fired her confidential secretary Jennifer Roth.
Walk it off

On July 31, sources say county Human Resources Manager Christine Goodson walked up to Roth to inform her that she would be reassigned to a new job. According to sources apprised of the matter, Roth was given three reasons for her involuntary demotion: she’s unsmiling, unfriendly and refuses to make coffee.

Then, she was walked out the door.

The confidential secretary position is unique in the county charter. Each elected or Board of Supervisors-hired official can pick whomever they choose for the position of trust.

Roth didn’t return calls for comment. However, a veteran county bureaucrat who spoke on condition of anonymity called the handling of the demotion “severely troubling.”

A similar thing happened to Amy Le just a couple months ago.

On the last day of June, Le—a captain with a three-decade tenure at the Sheriff’s Office—was told to turn in her badge and escorted off the Elmwood Correctional Facility grounds, which she had overseen since her promotion from lieutenant six months prior.

It was a rude awakening for the longtime Smith loyalist, who in 2018 leveraged her position as president of the Santa Clara County Correctional Peace Officers’ Association (CPOA) to campaign for the sheriff’s re-election. As the first Vietnamese-American woman to helm the union and one of the highest-ranking female law enforcement officials in Silicon Valley, Le’s was a trophy endorsement for an embattled Smith.

“I worked many, many hours to campaign for her,” says Le, who also gave some of her own money to the campaign. “Emotionally, I supported her. I took a lot of heat, too, from people calling me a kiss-*** and all that. But I thought that she was a better candidate at the time because she’s female and fought hard to get to where she is, and I could relate to that. I am the only Vietnamese female to rise up to sergeant, lieutenant and captain, and I know the struggles women face, and I thought she understood that, too.”

After showing her allegiance, Le secured a promotion a few months later. Joining the top brass meant relinquishing union membership, but she says she welcomed the tradeoff. In her new post at Elmwood, Le says she tried to improve conditions for female correctional staff and the incarcerated women under their watch. She saw a gazebo and garden whose construction she initiated as an expression of that effort.

Absent county funding for a rest area she called the “gratitude garden,” Le collected private donations: $6,000 from her correctional officer husband, $2,500 from her former union and $500 each from a CPOA lawyer, a lieutenant and a deputy. Female inmates who voluntarily built the structure learned valuable vocational skills, Le says, and took pride in their work.

Sheriff Smith and her command staff were less thrilled about the project.

On May 31, Sheriff’s officials placed Le on paid leave while they investigated claims that she lied about the source of private funding for the gazebo. A week later, Le received a letter with another charge: that she ordered a jail employee to delete files on a work computer. The allegations seemed too trifling to merit the dramatic send-off, Le says, adding that it’s unheard of for someone of her rank to be unceremoniously rushed off the grounds on the basis of non-criminal allegations.

Le says the experience shook her.

On June 12, she gave up on arbitration by retiring, which lifted privacy restrictions that silenced her side of the story. Le, who’s now mulling legal action, says she’s shocked to hear about Roth’s treatment.

“To get walked off is very dramatic and is hurtful to not only us but to our relatives, too, because they don’t know what happened to us,” Le says. “The confidential secretary is handpicked by the sheriff, and for her to be treated this way is outrageous.”

With a criminal investigation into the department’s upper echelons now apparently underway and the county’s two elected law enforcement officials on opposite sides of a battle of titans, another shoe may soon drop.

Given the secrecy around the probe, it could be a big one.

Last edited by NorCalBusa; 08-07-2019 at 3:39 PM..
Old 08-07-2019, 3:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We can only hope this is the beginning of the end of the LS monopoly in the sheriff's office.

Last edited by K001; 08-07-2019 at 4:06 PM..
Old 08-07-2019, 4:38 PM

This could be the best way for things to end. The issues we talk about here as far as Laurie and CCW have apparently only been the tip of the iceberg for what's wrong with her and her office. Whispers and evidence and accusations for years and now it seems they are finally being taken seriously. We wanted to oust her democratically but she may end up getting removed by prosecution. As someone who has been fighting her actively since at least 2014, it wouldn't surprise me.
NRA Personal Protection in the Home
NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home
NRA Refuse to be A Victim
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Happy to offer private instruction to individuals or couples.
Register To Vote Online: Take Back Our State From the Antis!
Old 08-07-2019, 5:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

More on the story from the Mercury News,

Sherriff's office raid
Old 08-07-2019, 5:37 PM
Veteran Member

Who appoints her replacement when she is jailed? At least CCW issuance can't get any worse no matter the outcome of her corruption probe. Only way to go is up!

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 08-07-2019, 5:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
Who appoints her replacement when she is jailed? At least CCW issuance can't get any worse no matter the outcome of her corruption probe. Only way to go is up!
IIRC, with Corona in OC, it was the BoS who chose Hutchens.

Too bad there isn't a county-level pro 2nd A org to pressure the BoS to hire a pro-CCW replacement sheriff.... Is Golden State 2nd A Council still alive? https://gs2ac.com/blogs/

ETA: Just a reminder to not get ahead of ourselves. Smith hasn't been convicted of anything yet. She hasn't even been charged for anything yet.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-07-2019 at 6:36 PM..
Old 08-07-2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
IIRC, with Corona in OC, it was the BoS who chose Hutchens.

Too bad there isn't a county-level pro 2nd A org to pressure the BoS to hire a pro-CCW replacement sheriff.... Is Golden State 2nd A Council still alive? https://gs2ac.com/blogs/

ETA: Just a reminder to not get ahead of ourselves. Smith hasn't been convicted of anything yet. She hasn't even been charged for anything yet.
Yes. Meetings are the last Monday of each month at 7 p.m. at the American Legion Hall on Walsh Ave. in Santa Clara. I will make sure Mark and Mike are aware of this though they likely have seen the news story.

NRA Life Member: Benefactor
Calguns Supporter
CRPA Supporter
Second Amendment Foundation Life Member Defender Club
Old 08-07-2019, 10:51 PM

https://apple.news/Aofoe3FEDRb6918DRstUN9A
Old 08-08-2019, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...65400614832595

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2019, 5:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal View Post

Oops! Same story! Right on!

Old 08-08-2019, 10:08 PM
Calguns Addict

You would think Smith would have learned from Carona's mistake. CCWs and a badge were the main perks of being a Reserve Deputy (aka donor). Maybe she thought Carona's only problem was giving out those fake badges....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_C...ment_and_trial

Old 08-08-2019, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

It would be amazing to see the tyrant Laurie Smith spend some solid time behind bars in a federal correctional facility. She has denied thousands of law abiding citizens the right to defend themselves while granting the same right to the elite few who have paid her for it, allegedly, of course.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 08-09-2019, 7:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCA142 View Post
Yes. Meetings are the last Monday of each month at 7 p.m. at the American Legion Hall on Walsh Ave. in Santa Clara. I will make sure Mark and Mike are aware of this though they likely have seen the news story.
It’s still early in this. Let it play out. The BoS can’t remove an elected official without cause, and because the investigation is being run by another elected official (DA) and the BoS may be on the hook to defend the Sheriff, the BoS won’t be getting briefed on the investigation.

We need to see what impact this investigation will have on the incumbent.

Then, if she is replaced, we need to take a long view on a replacement sheriff. When Hutchins was installed by the OC BoS, she immediately shut down the CCW program and rescinded a bunch of CCWs. She was much-hated and reviled for this. But, since the favoritism in the CCW issuance program was a part of Carona’s downfall, she had little choice. It took some time before she was able to build a viable program and increase issuance to significant levels.

Since the CCW program appears to be in the center of this investigation of Smith, if she is replaced, we can expect a major scrubbing of the current system. The good news is that “equitable access” will have to be a cornerstone of the program.
Old 08-09-2019, 9:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands1 View Post
It would be amazing to see the tyrant L’Whore-is Smith spend some solid time behind bars in a federal correctional facility...

FIFY

Old 08-10-2019, 9:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
While not directly on point, as far as I can tell there's been no change on either Santa Clara's CCW page (https://www.sccgov.org/sites/sheriff/Pages/ccw.aspx), or Smith's CCW policy (https://www.sccgov.org/sites/sheriff...W%20Policy.pdf).
Another month and still no changes re. CCWs....

Old 08-10-2019, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Another month and still no changes re. CCWs....
It's locked down. Any movement by the Sheriff at this point will be viewed as an acknowledgement of previous impropriety. She'll try to ride this out and deflect the results of the investigation onto her subordinates. It isn't going to be pretty......
Old 08-11-2019, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
It's locked down. Any movement by the Sheriff at this point will be viewed as an acknowledgement of previous impropriety. She'll try to ride this out and deflect the results of the investigation onto her subordinates. It isn't going to be pretty......
Nothing is gonna change, she will be there for at least another term. SCC is not OC, which was predominantly republican. They will let her slip. Meanwhile, I'm leaving this f-ing communazi state. Just bought a house in TN.
Old 08-11-2019, 9:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yugi View Post
Nothing is gonna change, she will be there for at least another term. SCC is not OC, which was predominantly republican. They will let her slip. Meanwhile, I'm leaving this f-ing communazi state. Just bought a house in TN.
We will sincerely miss the valuable contribution you've made to CGN and to the fight for our RKBA in CA with your ... 4 posts!

At least you won't have to waste any more time and effort trolling posting on CGN.

Don't let the door hit you in the a-- on your way out.