Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 06-29-2019, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

The more I think about what AV said re. GC, the more I think he's saying taken LA Co to "light red." What this means, as I posted above, is that thousands of small business owners and others should be able to get CCWs. While this won't help the vast majority of law-abiding LA Co residents, the more CCWers the better for us and the worse for BGs. Plus, if they apply and get issued now, they won't be clogging up the system if/when we win a RBA from SCOTUS.

Here's what AV says re. GC (at 1:35 to 2:10): "We actually, we, ah, reduced the standard from impossible to a "good cause." So, all I'm asking for for an applicant for a CCW is give me a particularized reason that is specific to you, not generalized fear of crime, but specifically to you. It could be (1) your occupation. (2) It could be the activities you’re doing and what time of day. (3) You could be a victim of a violent crime, say you have a stalker from hell on your case and and they're out and about, they're not in prison. All of these things, anyone of these things, and we're applying them pretty generously. So, we changed the standard but you have to apply for it."

#1 and 3 are common GC justifications in restrictive counties: your job/occupation puts you at risk or you have had threats against you that have been reported to police. I couldn't clearly make out what he said re. #2 above. I wrote what I thought he said, but it doesn't make sense to me. If someone can understand him better, please post it and I'll edit the above.

Then he compares LA Co's standard to rural counties' ("Shall Issue"). He then, erroneously, claims because of LA Co's population density, Shall Issue would be a bad policy. While OC has only 1/3rd of the pop. of LA Co, it has that pop in 1/4th of the area, and so is ~10% more population dense than LA Co and yet has >20,000 2-year CCWs issued vs ~500 for LA Co! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._in_California

2:25 He then goes into why "more guns on the streets" isn't a good policy in his opinion. This is where the only counter argument is the 2nd A and since (a) CCWs aren't under the 2nd and (b) SCOTUS hasn't ruled on the RBA, you can't go that way, but rather need to point out his policy argument is invalid given the experiences of Sacto, Fresno, Orange and now, San Diego counties and the large urban cities and counties in the 42 Shall Issue states, not one of which has gone from liberal issuance to restrictive issuance.

3:25 AV then mistakenly says that the Supreme Court has "decided again and again" that CCWs can be restrictively issued.

4:50 AV says that the "overwhelming majority" of LA Co residents want a GC requirement. Again, since SCOTUS hasn't yet said we have a right to public Carry, this issue is a policy/political issue, not a rights issue.

4:55 AV says his standard is different for residents who live in really rural parts of LA Co. (4) Most likely, IMO, he'll require you to either live or have a job that requires you to be in such a rural area. This may indicate a another possible acceptable GC being regularly hiking, backpacking, motorcycling or camping in rural areas with long LE response times. Of course, you'll need to prove you actually do those activities (photos, log books, maps, camping/park receipts, etc.). But you never know until you or someone else applies and lets the rest of us know. It only costs $10 to get a Good Cause decision by LACSO.

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 08-01-2019 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: Thx to CCWFacts re. #2
Old 06-29-2019, 8:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrat View Post
Why should I? Knowing full well it would be an exercise in futility!

The New Dem King of LASD quoted parameters of what will be "considered".

I fall firmly outside every one of those parameters.

So until there is a SCOTUS ruling that the 2A means exactly what is says about infringements.

AND US-DOJ grows a pair of gonads and is willing to arrest Federal Criminals with Badges in Ca. Which history has shown WON'T HAPPEN!

LA COUNTY REMAINS VIRTUALLY NO ISSUE FOR AVERAGE LAW ABIDING CITIZENS.
Um, not everything is directed towards you. That's why I wrote,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Until CGNers who have a "a particularized reason that is specific to [them]" apply and let the rest of us know how it went, we're both just speculating.
While you may not be able to get a CCW from AV, you can organize an outreach to small business owners (sandwich shops, pizza restaurants, gas stations, jewelry stores, etc), RE agents, and others who fall within those "parameters" to get them to apply, right???

Last edited by Paladin; 06-29-2019 at 9:00 PM..
Old 06-29-2019, 9:08 PM
Veteran Member

LASD will NEVER have a pro 2A ,CCW issuing sheriff.
Old 06-30-2019, 9:06 AM
Calguns Supreme Overlord
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I’m a business owner in LA. 3 businesses- wine bar, liquor store, and a bar, and I was very recently threatened by a convicted felon who stole from the store (all documented with the LAPD detective handling the case. Of course LAPD wont issue but do you think I actually have a shot if I apply with LASD??
I did apply with LAPD, got denied, appealed to the citizens review board, they recommended LAPD to issue, and LAPD denied the recommendation of course. Very frustrating process that took about a year or more.

Sent from my phone. Sorry for grammar/spelling

"I don't like repeat offenders. I like dead offenders."
-Ted Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOELKY View Post
Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
Quote:
put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D
Old 06-30-2019, 12:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter W Bush View Post
I’m a business owner in LA. 3 businesses- wine bar, liquor store, and a bar, and I was very recently threatened by a convicted felon who stole from the store (all documented with the LAPD detective handling the case. Of course LAPD wont issue but do you think I actually have a shot if I apply with LASD??
I did apply with LAPD, got denied, appealed to the citizens review board, they recommended LAPD to issue, and LAPD denied the recommendation of course. Very frustrating process that took about a year or more.
See my post #961 above. Looks like you could qualify under #1 and 3 of the 4 reasons AV would issue a CCW. You should have a solid chance with LASD under AV, from what he says. I'd give it a go. Be sure to review my CoCoCo CCW Advice thread stickied at top of this forum. PM me if you need/want to -- all kept in strict confidence. Be sure to let us know after you get issued/denied.

Old 06-30-2019, 2:36 PM

Quote:
See my post #961 above. Looks like you could qualify under #1 and 3 of the 4 reasons AV would issue a CCW. You should have a solid chance with LASD under AV, from what he says. I'd give it a go. Be sure to review my CoCoCo CCW Advice thread stickied at top of this forum. PM me if you need/want to -- all kept in strict confidence. Be sure to let us know after you get issued/denied.

That reminds me, did you get a chance to look at my GC? It’s been a while ago, haha
Old 06-30-2019, 9:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflakes View Post
That reminds me, did you get a chance to look at my GC? It’s been a while ago, haha
I've got too many pokers in too many fires!

I'll try to get to it in next day or two. If I don't, just keep politely reminding me....

Old 07-01-2019, 3:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul E View Post
I applied today, sent application via certified mail. I’ll follow up when the denial comes.

Let us know not only what happens, but also how the process went, were staff/LE friendly, helpful and encouraging or the opposite? What fees were charged and when. How long the different stages took. What the interview was like. What those involved said about the CCW process under AV (no change from McDonnell? big change in positive direction for us?)

I should mention that going by what AV actually says about GC, he may have taken LA Co not to light red, but yellow or even light green depending upon how he interprets and applies what he said. For example: does regularly hiking or backpacking in rural, wilderness areas with evidence that proves you actually do that work (light green)? Or must it be that you live or have to work in rural areas (yellow)?

What we need are LA Co residents who most likely would pass if AV's words are true (people with crazy exs/stalkers, or regularly deal with large amounts of cash (deposits or sales), drugs or guns, or who's job puts them at risk (female residential RE agents who've felt or been threatened), apply and let us know how it goes. If they get issued, then folks with weaker GC statements (yellow) should apply to see if they can get issued.

Meanwhile, the federal courts will do what they will do (or not) on their own time table.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-01-2019 at 3:16 PM..
Old 07-01-2019, 3:18 PM
CGSSA Director, LA Chapter Leader, Captain: Calguns.net Shooting Team

Quote:
I applied today, sent application via certified mail. I’ll follow up when the denial comes. Do they deny via mail or phone?
Eh... With LASD it's supposed to delivered by hand Downtown, and with LAPD you need to make an appointment and again deliver it by hand downtown.
Old 07-01-2019, 3:43 PM

Paladin doesn't want to believe anyone when we tell him that LA County is still 'dark red' My evidence is that Villanueva is actually more restrictive in issuance of licenses then McDonnell was. Who was in turn more restrictive then Baca...who was in turn more restrictive then Block...who was in turn more restrictive then Pitches...

I understand that he want to give the guy a chance to make good on his word; but the reality is, there are actually people here who are at least somewhat 'in the know' and can extrapolate the outcomes based on the small known samples.

LA County is "Virtual No Issue"
Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I applied today, sent application via certified mail. I’ll follow up when the denial comes. Do they deny via mail or phone?
When I applied under McDonnell a little over a year ago, I received the rejection by mail. The rejection was just a general statement that no good cause was found, without any explanation or detailed discussion. I would think that the process is still the same. I received my rejection letter around 3 months from the date I submitted my application by mail.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Per their website:

This is correct. You do not hand deliver your application. You mail in the application accompanied with a check. I posted the previous version of the guidelines under McDonnell in an earlier post, and it was the same procedure as the current procedure under AV.

I wish you the best of luck! I really hope you will get it.
Old 07-04-2019, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Paladin doesn't want to believe anyone when we tell him that LA County is still 'dark red' My evidence is that Villanueva is actually more restrictive in issuance of licenses then McDonnell was. Who was in turn more restrictive then Baca...who was in turn more restrictive then Block...who was in turn more restrictive then Pitches...

I understand that he want to give the guy a chance to make good on his word; but the reality is, there are actually people here who are at least somewhat 'in the know' and can extrapolate the outcomes based on the small known samples.

LA County is "Virtual No Issue"
The bolded is not evidence, it is a conclusion. Evidence is what you base that conclusion upon. Please share evidence with us.

I felt that way when Gore in San Diego said 2 years ago he's issuing more CCWs. I figured no way in hell would "Ruby Ridge" Gore issue more CCWs and posted such. Turned out, much to everyone's delight, Gore did change and not just for his re-election campaign. IIRC, ~2 years ago he had ~300 - 400 2-year CCWs issued and now, before the end of this summer he should break 3,000 2 yr CCWs, and if he keeps up his current pace, that should be 4,000 by the end of the year! Just start at the OP of that thread to see how it all played out.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...2#post23149412

Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
The bolded is not evidence, it is a conclusion. Evidence is what you base that conclusion upon. Please share evidence with us.

I felt that way when Gore in San Diego said 2 years ago he's issuing more CCWs. I figured no way in hell would "Ruby Ridge" Gore issue more CCWs and posted such. Turned out, much to everyone's delight, Gore did change and not just for his re-election campaign. IIRC, ~2 years ago he had ~300 - 400 2-year CCWs issued and now, before the end of this summer he should break 3,000 2 yr CCWs, and if he keeps up his current pace, that should be 4,000 by the end of the year! Just start at the OP of that thread to see how it all played out.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...2#post23149412

To add to Paladin’s comment above, I believe the main point is that we are all hoping that AV would bring a wind of change for the better, regardless of how high or low those chances are. Everyone here knows that getting a CCW has always been difficult in LA and we are all cautiously reserved with AV despite his campaign promises. It’s not that Paladin does not want to believe that LA is dark red, but how else can we find out if AV is bringing a change for the better unless we start giving it a try? We are just trying to find out, and not having a blind optimism on AV. I think we’re approaching this with the realistic expectation that it is more likely that applications will continue to get rejected, but if AV makes good on his campaign promises, then it will be a pleasant surprise.

In my subjective opinion, even if applications continue to get rejected under AV, the fact that a lot of us are submitting applications shows that this 2A issue is very important to many LA residents, and AV should take notice. Would not that say something? He is well-aware that this 2A issue is very important to many of us in LA, thus his campaign promises. I could be wrong, but maybe by seeing a lot of new applications after he took office would make a bigger impact and put him in a position where he has to respond one way or another, and hold him to his promises.

I believe that’s why Paladin is warranted in encouraging many of us to file new applications, myself included. We need to do something and take our part, rather than just lament how difficult it is to get a CCW in LA. Set aside our own personal fear of getting rejected again (which I also have, to be honest), and think of the collective interests as a group. I think this 2A issue in LA is bigger than each of us individually.

That’s my two cents.
Old 07-21-2019, 1:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Acc to this article, on 2018 July 01 -- about 6 months prior to AV taking over as sheriff -- there were 424 LA Co CCWs.

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...232198382.html

While it is not many, esp given LA Co's pop of >10M, it is more than zero. The main benefit of knowing this number is it tells us approx. how many CCWs were issued prior to AV becoming sheriff. In a year or two, when the next news article about CCW issuance rates is published, we'll be able to see what, if any change, has occurred under AV.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-22-2019 at 8:35 AM..
Old 07-21-2019, 1:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation 1st report of LASD CCW being issued by Sheriff Villenueva!!!

A 10+ year CGN member told me someone they know has been issued a CCW by LA Co's new sheriff, Alex Villanueva. The CGNer claims to have seen it themselves. They say the new CCWer has a GC that would pass a "strict" (dark red) GC standard. That's all I can post about this applicant/CCWer.

Hopefully, as more CGNers apply and get issued or denied we'll get a better idea of whether people with "light red" or even "yellow" Good Causes will be approved, and more details about AV's CCW process. (If you don't want to post about yourself, just PM me and I'll work up a post with your information and post it after your approval. All correspondence kept in strict confidence.)

No, we have not "won" LA Co. yet (it is not light green AFAIK). But the hope is (1) AV is keeping his campaign promise to issue more CCWs and (2) as time goes by he'll slowly liberalize issuance further.

But for now, it is time to celebrate! LASD Sheriff Villenueva is issuing CCWs!

Last edited by Paladin; 07-24-2019 at 9:31 PM..
Old 07-21-2019, 1:47 PM

Quote:
A 10+ year CGN member contacted me to let me know someone they know has been issued a CCW by LA Co's new sheriff, Alex Villaneuva. The CGNer claims to have seen it themselves. They say the new CCWer has a GC that would pass a "strict" (dark red) GC standard. That's all I can post about this applicant/CCWer.

Hopefully, as more CGNers apply we'll get a better idea of whether people with "light red" or even "yellow" Good Causes will be approved, and more details about AV's CCW process. (If you don't want to post about yourself, just PM me and I'll work up a post with your information and post it after your approval. All correspondence kept in strict confidence.)

No, we have not "won" LA Co. But the hope is (1) AV is keeping his campaign promise to issue more CCWs and (2) as time goes by he'll slowly liberalize issuance further.

But for now, it is time to celebrate!

Thanks, Paladin! A small step forward is still a step forward. Keeping our fingers crossed.
Old 07-21-2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
A 10+ year CGN member contacted me to let me know someone they know has been issued a CCW by LA Co's new sheriff, Alex Villaneuva. The CGNer claims to have seen it themselves. They say the new CCWer has a GC that would pass a "strict" (dark red) GC standard. That's all I can post about this applicant/CCWer.

Hopefully, as more CGNers apply we'll get a better idea of whether people with "light red" or even "yellow" Good Causes will be approved, and more details about AV's CCW process. (If you don't want to post about yourself, just PM me and I'll work up a post with your information and post it after your approval. All correspondence kept in strict confidence.)

No, we have not "won" LA Co. But the hope is (1) AV is keeping his campaign promise to issue more CCWs and (2) as time goes by he'll slowly liberalize issuance further.

But for now, it is time to celebrate!

What would be considered a "dark red" GC? The applicant lives in a remote area with no quick access for law enforcement to respond and their occupation is highly dangerous or involving a transfer of large amount of money/expensive equipment? I would like to understand the difference between "dark red" and "light red" GCs.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kflakes View Post
What would be considered a "dark red" GC? The applicant lives in a remote area with no quick access for law enforcement to respond and their occupation is highly dangerous or involving a transfer of large amount of money/expensive equipment? I would like to understand the difference between "dark red" and "light red" GCs.
Dark red has 3 subsections. The "dark side" of dark red is "No Issue." This is where CLEOs are flipping their middle finger at Salute v. Pitchess and the state courts. AFAIK, no counties currently do not issue. Even SF had 2 issued CCWs as of a year ago: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local...232198382.html

To the green side of that is what I call "Corrupt Issue": that's what LA Co had under McDonnell where the state auditor found that out of 25 CCW applications audited, not a single one issued complied with his official CCW policy. Even if you satisfy the published GC requirements, you won't have a chance unless you fulfill whatever unpublished requirements the CLEO imposes.

The difference between the "light side" of dark red and light red is a matter of degree rather than of kind. For example, the amount of regular deposits from a business after normal business hours is greater for dark red. Or dark red may require that you be the business owner making the deposits whereas light red may require you to only be the manager. Dark red may require you to have been attacked and likely to be attacked in the future (think CGN's quarterboregunner), whereas light red may only require you to be a likely target or have been seriously threatened (with proof -- evidence of threat/s and police report/s, etc). Sonoma Co still has their old dark red GC standard posted:

Quote:
(a) There is an existing and significant threat of death or grave bodily injury to the applicant, or his/her immediate family, which cannot be reasonably avoided or adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which threat would be significantly mitigated by the carrying of a concealed weapon.

(b) The applicant establishes that circumstances exist requiring him or her to transport in public significant amounts of valuable, or inherently dangerous property, which would be impractical to entrust to the protection of an armored car or equivalent service for the safe transportation of valuables.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-01-2019 at 8:58 AM..
Old 08-01-2019, 2:01 AM

Default obtaining a ccw in los angeles or any other county

can anyone send me a link for all the requirements for getting a ccw in los angekes area,
does anyone know if it is possible to get a ccw in a different county then the one you live in
Old 08-01-2019, 2:08 AM

Default obtaining a ccw in los angeles or any other county

Sorry, in LA county, not gonna happen. And getting one from a different county than the one you live in, not gonna happen either.
Your best bet is to move out to San Bernardino county or get a non-resident from Arizona and/or Utah. And hope for national reciprocity to pass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex889 View Post
can anyone send me a link for all the requirements for getting a ccw in los angekes area,

does anyone know if it is possible to get a ccw in a different county then the one you live in
Los Angeles county is near impossible to get. The burden of showing you have good cause is as follows:

Quote:
GOOD CAUSE: The policy LAPD has adopted is that good cause exists if there is convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life or of great bodily injury to the applicant, his (or her) spouse, or dependent child, which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources, and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be significantly mitigated by the applicant’s carrying of a concealed firearm.
Los Angeles County Concealed Weapon Permits Website: http://www.lapdonline.org/get_inform...sic_view/48213

100 West 1st Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Non-Emergency: 877-ASK-LAPD

A CA permit must be obtained through the county you live in. The non-Resident permita are not valid in CA but are useful if/when you travel to other States

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by jeff.i.thomas; 08-01-2019 at 5:56 AM..
Old 08-01-2019, 3:58 AM

What is a good cause for the county? Is dealing with super expensive cinema gear and being responsible for the transportation of them counts as a good cause?
Old 08-01-2019, 6:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betfair39 View Post
What is a good cause for the county? Is dealing with super expensive cinema gear and being responsible for the transportation of them counts as a good cause?
Basically, donating enough money to the Sheriff’s reelection fund.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old 08-01-2019, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betfair39 View Post
ETA: See post #961 for the best info we have re. what AV will accept for GC. Per that (vs the old documents on his CCW Info webpage), it sounds like he's taken LA Co to "light red", which is what we assumed from his statements during the campaign. But, so far, only 1 person has contacted me re. getting issued, and they'd be issued even under a dark red GC standard.

See the Sonoma Co GC standard posted in post #979, immediately above your post for an example of a dark red GC policy.

Another example of a dark red GC standard is given at Ala Co SO's website here:
Quote:
In order to request a CCW license, applicants must satisfy all of the requirements of the Policy, including demonstrating that they have "good cause" and are of "good moral character." There is no one specific "good cause" for issuance of a license, as each applicant's justification is different. Applicants must show evidence that (1) there is a documented, presently existing, clear and present danger to life, or great bodily harm to the applicant and/or his or her spouse, domestic partner, or dependents, (2) the danger of harm is specific to the applicant, or his or her immediate family, and is not generally shared by other similarly situated members of the public, (3) existing law enforcement resources cannot adequately address the danger of harm, (4) the danger of harm cannot reasonably be avoided by alternative measures, and (5) licensing the applicant to carry a concealed weapon is likely to significantly reduce the danger of harm.
From: https://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/admin_ia_ccw.php

Here's LASO's CCW webpage: http://lasd.org/ccw_info.html Go through the links in the top right.

My GUESS is that "dealing with super expensive cinema gear and being responsible for the transportation of them" would count as a good cause if it is over whatever $$$ requirement AV has set (value determined by $$$ they'd fetch being sold as stolen "on the street," not the $$$ they cost new or the $$$ they'd cost to replace). But I don't know what that $$$ hurdle is. $1,000? $5,000? $10,000? $25,000? More???

Regardless, applying and getting a GC determination is CHEAP -- $10.00 (See p.3 at: http://lasd.org/pdfjs/CCW_Licensing_...April_2019.pdf). Why not apply?

Remember: so far, I know of only 1 person who's been issued a CCW by AV. Other than that one person, we don't know what would be accepted as sufficient GC. If you apply, after you get approved or denied, please post or PM me with your GC so that others may get an indication of whether their GC is sufficient. (But do not include so much detail as to ID yourself.) ALL correspondence with me is kept in STRICT confidence.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-01-2019 at 11:42 AM..
Old 08-01-2019, 11:08 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There is technically a provision in the law that allows you to apply for a permit in a county other than your residence - but its limitations are so great as to make it unattractive to, I suspect, a large portion of potential applicants.

Basically, if you live in one county and work in another, and spend a substantial portion of your time in your working county, you may apply for a permit in your working county.

However, the license is valid only in your working county; it is only valid for up to 90 days; and any renewal requires the approval of your working county IA and your residence county IA.

See Section 262200(b) of the Ca Penal Code:

Quote:
(b) If the licensee’s place of employment or business was the basis for issuance of a license pursuant to Section 26150, the license is valid for any period of time not to exceed 90 days from the date of the license. The license shall be valid only in the county in which the license was originally issued. The licensee shall give a copy of this license to the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county in which the licensee resides. The licensing authority that originally issued the license shall inform the licensee verbally and in writing in at least 16-point type of this obligation to give a copy of the license to the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county of residence. Any application to renew or extend the validity of, or reissue, the license may be granted only upon the concurrence of the licensing authority that originally issued the license and the licensing authority of the city, county, or city and county in which the licensee resides.
So very likely worthless.
Old 08-01-2019, 11:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
First question: Do you live in the City of Los Angeles? If yes, check out: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1423638

If you do NOT live in the City of Los Angeles, but DO live in Los Angeles County, read this and go through the last few pages of that thread:
Quote:
The more I think about what AV said re. GC, the more I think he's saying taken LA Co to "light red." What this means, as I posted above, is that thousands of small business owners and others should be able to get CCWs. While this won't help the vast majority of law-abiding LA Co residents, the more CCWers the better for us and the worse for BGs. Plus, if they apply and get issued now, they won't be clogging up the system if/when we win a RBA from SCOTUS.

Here's what AV says re. GC (at 1:35 to 2:10): "We actually, we, ah, reduced the standard from impossible to a "good cause." So, all I'm asking for for an applicant for a CCW is give me a particularized reason that is specific to you, not generalized fear of crime, but specifically to you. It could be (1) your occupation. (2) It could be the activities you’re doing and what time of day. (3) You could be a victim of a violent crime, say you have a stalker from hell on your case and and they're out and about, they're not in prison. All of these things, anyone of these things, and we're applying them pretty generously. So, we changed the standard but you have to apply for it."

#1 and 3 are common GC justifications in restrictive counties: your job/occupation puts you at risk or you have had threats against you that have been reported to police. I couldn't clearly make out what he said re. #2 above. I wrote what I thought he said, but it doesn't make sense to me. If someone can understand him better, please post it and I'll edit the above.

Then he compares LA Co's standard to rural counties' ("Shall Issue"). He then, erroneously, claims because of LA Co's population density, Shall Issue would be a bad policy. While OC has only 1/3rd of the pop. of LA Co, it has that pop in 1/4th of the area, and so is ~10% more population dense than LA Co and yet has >20,000 2-year CCWs issued vs ~500 for LA Co! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._in_California

2:25 He then goes into why "more guns on the streets" isn't a good policy in his opinion. This is where the only counter argument is the 2nd A and since (a) CCWs aren't under the 2nd and (b) SCOTUS hasn't ruled on the RBA, you can't go that way, but rather need to point out his policy argument is invalid given the experiences of Sacto, Fresno, Orange and now, San Diego counties and the large urban cities and counties in the 42 Shall Issue states, not one of which has gone from liberal issuance to restrictive issuance.

3:25 AV then mistakenly says that the Supreme Court has "decided again and again" that CCWs can be restrictively issued.

4:50 AV says that the "overwhelming majority" of LA Co residents want a GC requirement. Again, since SCOTUS hasn't yet said we have a right to public Carry, this issue is a policy/political issue, not a rights issue.

4:55 AV says his standard is different for residents who live in really rural parts of LA Co. (4) Most likely, IMO, he'll require you to either live or have a job that requires you to be in such a rural area. This may indicate a another possible acceptable GC being regularly hiking, backpacking, motorcycling or camping in rural areas with long LE response times. Of course, you'll need to prove you actually do those activities (photos, log books, maps, camping/park receipts, etc.). But you never know until you or someone else applies and lets the rest of us know. It only costs $10 to get a Good Cause decision by LACSO.
Quote:
As others have said, essentially no. FWIW, many county sheriffs don't even issue the 90 day Business CCW permits.

Last edited by Paladin; 08-01-2019 at 11:14 PM..
Old 08-02-2019, 3:33 AM

I don't know about different cities within LA county, but a co-worker of mine obtains his through his local PD. Maybe try that route?
Old 08-02-2019, 10:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

never from la county sheriffs find small town.

Last edited by edgerly779; 08-02-2019 at 2:05 PM..
Old 08-02-2019, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
can anyone send me a link for all the requirements for getting a ccw in los angekes area
The links are on the top right column: http://lasd.org/ccw_info.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
never in la county

Sheriff AV is issuing, but we don't know yet the "weakest" GC that will pass muster. We know of 1 CCW being issued and their GC, but it would pass even in a dark red county. We've heard other CGNers are applying, including one who says his GC would pass in a yellow county, so in the months ahead, as their apps get processed and they make posts and/or PM me, we should have a better idea of AV's GC standard. IMO, the odds are it will be light red. It costs only $10 to apply and get a GC decision. No applying guarantees you don't get a CCW.

So far, Alex889, you haven't given us a clue as to what your GC is like. Tell us (but without so much detail as to ID yourself).

Quote:
A 10+ year CGN member told me someone they know has been issued a CCW by LA Co's new sheriff, Alex Villanueva. The CGNer claims to have seen it themselves. They say the new CCWer has a GC that would pass a "strict" (dark red) GC standard. That's all I can post about this applicant/CCWer.

Hopefully, as more CGNers apply and get issued or denied we'll get a better idea of whether people with "light red" or even "yellow" Good Causes will be approved, and more details about AV's CCW process. (If you don't want to post about yourself, just PM me and I'll work up a post with your information and post it after your approval. All correspondence kept in strict confidence.)

No, we have not "won" LA Co. yet (it is not light green AFAIK). But the hope is (1) AV is keeping his campaign promise to issue more CCWs and (2) as time goes by he'll slowly liberalize issuance further.

But for now, it is time to celebrate! LASD Sheriff Villenueva is issuing CCWs!

Last edited by Paladin; 08-02-2019 at 1:16 PM..
Old 08-02-2019, 2:01 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

It's encouraging seeing LA light red on your map Paladin, better that than the other way around fir sure... But unless we start hearing from ordinary citizens that have obtained a CCW, nothing has changed. AV's interview certainly did nothing to make me feel the local plumber or real estate person etc. that feels they need to carry for self preservation stands any better chance today than they did this time last year.

I hope I am wrong.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
But unless we start hearing from ordinary citizens that have obtained a CCW, nothing has changed.
I heard about an "ordinary citizen" who got one. Things have changed.

What was extraordinary about them was their GC, not their title, their political connections, position, or donations or anything else. Best not to mix up the two when talking about CCWs. That's a common source of confusion. Focus on the GC requirement and the applicant's GC, whether they're "average" or "ordinary" or any other ambiguous terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
(1) AV's interview certainly did nothing to make me feel the local plumber or (2) real estate person etc. that feels they need to carry for self preservation stands any better chance today than they did this time last year.
Re: (1) Best to listen to the part of the interview re. GC and CCWs again, but this time ignore everything the misguided 2nd A advocate says -- his heart is in the right place, but he's confused and will confuse you too if you let him. Just pay attention to AV re. GC.

The moderator starts off by giving AV an underhanded pitch to knock out of the park justifying being restrictive in issuing CCWs. AV could have easily followed her lead, but he didn't. Instead he said the opposite: he's lowered the GC bar and issuing more CCWs than McDonnell. That speaks volumes, esp when he says it on camera (vs claiming 1-on-1 "I'm pro CCW").

Re: (2) I don't know how you can think a RE agent doesn't have a better chance with AV than with McDonnell. In post #5 above, going by the quote of myself re. the video, a female RE agent who shows residential RE to strangers alone could very well qualify under points #1 & 2. If she's been victimized on the job as well (point #3) and it was reported to the police, I feel pretty much certain that AV will issue her a CCW because that would pass "dark red." If she hadn't been victimized, but has been made to feel fearful (reported to police or employer/broker), she MAY get issued since that would be "light red" level GC. If she hasn't felt fearful (yet), but feels a need to carry since she's regularly so vulnerable, she could get issued if AV has in fact taken LA Co to "yellow." But we'll never know until people apply and get their GCs either denied or approved (for only $10) and let us know. That's why the map uses multiple colors vs B&W to indicated the GC a particular sheriff requires. IOW, we need female RE agents who've been attacked, who've only been frightened and who only feel vulnerable to ALL apply and let us know how it goes so that we can ensure the map reflect reality. We do NOT want people to apply who have no chance, but we do NOT want people to not apply who have a solid chance.

We now know AV issues for dark red GC. Great, that's better than McDonnell. We now want to know if AV issues for light red or yellow GC. We can only determine that if people with that level of GC (that they can prove exist), apply and let us know if they get approved or not (again, that costs only $10). How many female residential RE agents are in LA Co? I'd guess thousands. Dittos with property managers who collect cash rents. Add in all the convenience store owners, gas station owners, fast food restaurant owners, Mom & Pop grocery store owners, restaurant owners, bar owners, small shop owners who make regular cash deposits -- that's more thousands, maybe tens of thousands of more people who could qualify. If AV will issue to the managers as well as owners, that may almost double the number. ALL of those categories have a sold chance (IOW, such a good chance they should try applying, esp for only $10), of getting issued if AV has taken LA Co to light red, and would definitely get issued if AV has taken LA Co to yellow. What LA Co CGNers should do is figure out how to reach out to those categories of people to inform them about CCWs and encourage them to apply.

CGNers who say no one can get issued or saying nothing's changed with AV until LA Co goes dark green (SD/PP = GC) are not helping our cause, they're hurting it by discouraging all applicants, as well as lying....

Last edited by Paladin; 08-02-2019 at 11:26 PM..
Old 08-03-2019, 12:30 AM
Calguns Addict

To get a permit in LA City or County you will have to be very famous and or big time political donor.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
To get a permit in LA City or County you will have to be very famous and or big time political donor.

Old 08-03-2019, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slixx1320 View Post
I don't know about different cities within LA county, but a co-worker of mine obtains his through his local PD. Maybe try that route?
Where does your co-worker live? That can make a world of difference.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain
Old 08-06-2019, 4:54 PM

Not directly related but could potentially shift his attitude?

https://mobile.twitter.com/lacosheri...68156490891265

Quote:
It’s time to end the manufacture and sale of semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines, period.
Regardless, pretty ridiculous.
Old 08-06-2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shungokusatsu View Post
Not directly related but could potentially shift his attitude?

https://mobile.twitter.com/lacosheri...68156490891265

Regardless, pretty ridiculous.

I’m not quite following by what you meant. Are you saying that he could potentially shift his attitude toward issuing more CCW, or breaking his campaign promise and not issuing more CCW? I think if you mean that he is leaning towards continuing McDonnell’s “policy” and virtually not issuing anymore CCW, that is somewhat expected.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:14 PM
Calguns Supreme Overlord

Quote:
PM sent

"I don't like repeat offenders. I like dead offenders."
-Ted Nugent

Quote:
Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
Quote:
put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D
Old 08-19-2019, 8:24 PM

As expected, I recieved my denial for a ccw permit from LA County today. I applied following AV's statements indicating he'd be willing to issue to those with certain situations.

My good cause was essentially (paraphrasing):
I work in a dangerous area surrounded by very valuable equipment worth millions, in the middle of the night by myself, in a high crime area with a documented history of service requests from the police. I also live in a rural area where response times may be delayed.

Denial stated:

Dear Mr. Economou

We have recieved and reviewed your application for a concealed weapon license. The circumstances, as outlined in the application, do not satisfy the requirements for the existence of good cause and we must, pursuant to our policy, deny your request.

Our stated policy as to what constitutes good cause for the issuance of a permit is stated below for your information:

".....specifically state under the section entitled "Qualifications for a CCW license" those circumstances which present convincing evidence of a clear and present danger to life, or great bodily harm to the applicant, his/her spouse or dependent child, which cannot be adequately dealt with by existing law enforcement resources and which danger cannot be reasonably avoided by alternative measures, and which danger would be significantly mitigated by applicant's carrying of a concealed firearm."

"Convincing evidence of a clear and present danger..." refers to a current situation which involves a specific person(s) who has threatened an individual and who has displayed a pattern of behavior which would suggest that the threat(s) could be carried out. Situations which would suggest only a potential danger to ones safety (e.g. carrying large amounts of money to the bank, profession/job, working late hours in a high crime rate area, etc do not satisfy the criteria for issuance of a concealed weapons license."

____
Old 08-19-2019, 8:36 PM

Wow, thanks for posting.

Guess he’s not issuing even for carrying high valuable items in high crime areas.