Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:47 AM

Default Any CHP Officers here?

Are there any CHP Officers here? I'm researching the CHP as a possible career, and was wanting to get a point of view from the officers.

If you aren't CHP, or retired CHP, please don't bother posting if it's just going to be negative, as I don't want this thread to end up a CHP bashfest.

As far as I know, a CHP Officer: Patrols Highways (duh) makes numerous stops, responds to accidents on the highways and rural areas where they are patrolling, post at construction sites, keeps the highway free of debris, and makes sure the highways are safe for citizens.

What I don't know, is if what I DO know is totally correct, and if there are more tasks appointed, what it is like, any regrets, anything you would do prior to becoming CHP, anything I should know or do before POST, what is POST like, etc.

Feel free to share any tips, thoughts, you would like.

Thanks, Steve.

PS, is it true that everyone who is fresh from POST gets stationed in LA?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:53 AM

Check out their official website. There's a lot of information there. I copied this for you for starters.

Salary Cadet - $4,030 - $5,064
Cadets earn a monthly salary while attending the CHP Academy. in addition, cadets receive free room and board. Effective the first month following their Academy reporting date, cadets receive full health and dental benefits for themselves and their dependents. Cadets also earn an additional seven hours of mandatory overtime per month.

Officer - $5,432 - $6,604
Upon graduation from the CHP Academy cadets are promoted to the position of officer. Annually, an officer's base pay is $65,185. 5.0% increases occur yearly until the top step base salary of $79, 248 is reached.

Note: - These salaries do not include pay incentives or overtime compensation. During an officer's first year, approximately $10,000 is earned in overtime.
Pre-and Post-Shift Work Activities Pay Differential
Officers receive a stipend equal to 3.5% of their base pay to compensate for pre-and post-shift activities.
In addition, all officers earn the following pay incentives:

Physical performance Pay (PPP)
$65.00 per month; after the fifth year, $130.00 a month.

Lunch Pay
Officer's are paid an additional 6.25% of their base salary, or approximately $4,953 annually at the top step.

Uniform Allowance
Officer's are entitled to an annual uniform allowance of $920. Cadets are loaned the funds to purchase their first set of uniforms. This interest free loan will be repaid over the first 12 months of their career.

Specialty Pay Bilingual Pay
$100 per month for certified bilingual speaking officers who are assigned to a bilingual position.

Canine Pay
$156 per month for officers who are canine handlers.

Educational Incentive Pay
2.5% of their base pay of officers who possess an intermediate Peace officer Standards and training (POST ) Certificate of Associate of Arts/Science degree or 5% of their base pay for officers who possess an Advanced POST Certificate or Bachelor of Arts/Science degree.

Field Training Officer (FTO) Pay
Field Training Officers earn an additional 5% of their daily base pay each day they serve as an FTO.

Investigator Pay
$50 per month for officers assigned as full-time Vehicle Theft or Fraud Investigators.

Motorcycle Officer Pay
4% of base pay for motorcycle enforcement duty.

Flight Officer Pay
Annual salaries for officers who fly in either airplanes or helicopters, at to step: Pilot - $92.592 Flight Observer - $82,812

Shift Differential
Swing Shift adds an additional $0.80 per hour per shift, which averages $1,650 annually. For graveyard shift, add an additional $1.30 per hour per shift, averaging $2,650 annually.

Senior Officer Pay
Officers also earn a monthly pay differential based on the years they have worked. Add an additional:
2% after 18 years 5% after 21 years
3% after 19 years 6% after 22 years
4% after 20 years 8% after 25 years

Example of potential CHP Officer Salaries First Year After Fifth Year
Base pay $65,184 $79,248
PPP Pay 780 1,560
8-1/2 Hour Day 4,074 4,953
Swing Shift Differential 1,650 1,650
Pre & Post 2,281.44 2,773.68
Subtotal $73,969.44 $90,184.68
Average Overtime 10,000 15,000
Subtotal $83,969.44 $105,184.68
Education Incentive (BA) (5 % of base) 3,259.20 3,962.40
Total: $87,228.64 $109,147.08

* This is not a contract or an offer of employment. Salary and benefits are subject to change.

Benefits Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
The Department provides comprehensive medical, dental, and vision health care plans for officers and their dependents. Officers may select from numerous health care plans, the plan that best meets their needs.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:42 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
As far as I know, a CHP Officer: Patrols Highways
You may already know this, but highways refers to roads, not just freeways. In the unincorporated county areas, they are responsible for traffic accidents, not the local sheriff's dept. Just a fyi.
Old 08-21-2009, 1:23 PM

They are also the security guards for Arnie. They respond and have primary jurisdiction for any state building anywhere in Ca. They also have a commercial division, search and rescue missions with their helicopter as well as paramedics. Like it is mentioned above they are responsible for all the unincorporated land that the sheriff doesn't respond to. You should do a ride a long with them and make some friends. The main office for northern Ca is in Vallejo but I'm sure tou could go to any office and get info.
Old 08-21-2009, 1:27 PM

Oh....about the academy....if your good you can come home to visit your family on the weekend and wednesday night.
Old 08-21-2009, 4:58 PM

The CHP is accepting applications on a continuous basis!

For additional information and applications, contact the CHP at: 1-888-4A CHP JOB
(1-888-422-4756) TT/TDD 1-800-735-2929 EOE/ADA or by e-mail

Here's some videos you may or may not find of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLsM7voO9u0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku9cDXbLoE4
Graduation Day for faimily members.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFes7fVRHF0
(In this one, I'm car 03 for Mustangs Camaros and Caprices, we run 140 and 160 at 3 meters apart both logitudinal and lateraly If you look closely, I'll give you a little wave out the window as I pass by the bandstands.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBA7iTV3Jiw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e39whB_T-1c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_adIBG_T4k
(Motorcade for Pres. Bush, near LAX. USSS decided they needed another motor, called for one in reserve, he had one minute to get into place for the convoy motorcade.
Old 08-21-2009, 5:43 PM

I work with CHP on a regular basis..

I will say that if you want to take bad guys to jail and get bawls deep into the penal code on a regular basis, you better look elsewhere.

One guy I was chattin with said he got written up for too many felony arrests and his DUI arrests had dropped significantly due to this. He though he was doing a good job. His head-shed though otherwise.

If you are into traffic stops and FST's then it will suit you fine. Sometimes I wish I had gone CHP do to the ease of moving around in the state and the pay scale.
Old 08-21-2009, 7:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
You may already know this, but highways refers to roads, not just freeways. In the unincorporated county areas, they are responsible for traffic accidents, not the local sheriff's dept. Just a fyi.
Most of the counties contract with the CHP to enforce the traffic laws in the unincorporated areas. They also handle accidents involving local police or sheriff's deputies to avoid a conflict of interest. The Los Angeles county sheriff does enforce it's own traffic laws, but they might be the only ones in California.

This does not mean that you won't ever get a speeding tick from a game warden or a state parks ranger; because I've witnessed this myself in the Sierras. Don't pretend that those UC campus police officers aren't gonna write you up on a city street outside of their fiefdom either...
Old 08-21-2009, 7:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG23 View Post
They are also the security guards for Arnie. They respond and have primary jurisdiction for any state building anywhere in Ca. They also have a commercial division, search and rescue missions with their helicopter as well as paramedics. Like it is mentioned above they are responsible for all the unincorporated land that the sheriff doesn't respond to. You should do a ride a long with them and make some friends. The main office for northern Ca is in Vallejo but I'm sure tou could go to any office and get info.
True, ever since the independent State Police was abolished maybe ten years ago...
Old 08-21-2009, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinkix1953 View Post
Most of the counties contract with the CHP to enforce the traffic laws in the unincorporated areas.

Incorrect. They are the agency of primary jurisdiction for traffic matters in unincorporated areas.

They also handle accidents involving local police or sheriff's deputies to avoid a conflict of interest.

No mandate on this except in unincorporated areas.

The Los Angeles county sheriff does enforce it's own traffic laws, but they might be the only ones in California.

We (LASD) enforce traffic laws anywhere, but we only take accident reports in our contracted cities. CHP takes the reports in the unincorporated areas.

This does not mean that you won't ever get a speeding tick from a game warden or a state parks ranger; because I've witnessed this myself in the Sierras. Don't pretend that those UC campus police officers aren't gonna write you up on a city street outside of their fiefdom either...

Very True
I've worked with many outstanding CHP officers. You've gotta like making stops on the side of a freeway with cars ZOOMING past at sub-light speeds. I hate making stops on the freeway myself.

It's a good agency.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 08-21-2009, 8:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinkix1953 View Post
Most of the counties contract with the CHP to enforce the traffic laws in the unincorporated areas. They also handle accidents involving local police or sheriff's deputies to avoid a conflict of interest. The Los Angeles county sheriff does enforce it's own traffic laws, but they might be the only ones in California.

I know what LASD does since I spent almost 30yrs. with them, thanks.

As Ron said tho, the dept. enforces traffic laws anywhere. While driving to different unincorporated areas of Azusa, Covina, etc., I passed thru several different cities. If I saw someone committing a violation while driving thru the city limits of any of the surrounding cities, I could and often did, issue a cite.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I can vouch for Retired, since we worked two different stations together, and I've got 31 years in and still active.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 08-22-2009, 7:07 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unit74 View Post
I will say that if you want to take bad guys to jail and get bawls deep into the penal code on a regular basis, you better look elsewhere.

If you are into traffic stops and FST's then it will suit you fine.
CHP, LAPD and San Bernardino County all called me in the same week with job offers. I thought long and hard on the offers and decided on the SBSD job because I grew up in what is now Rancho Cucamonga and I could stay relatively close to home. Greatest decision I ever made...ever!!

I have worked the traffic unit at a couple of the stations I have been assigned and I have to honestly say that the CHP job would not have been for me.....especially the freeway part. But, some people enjoy that and I have met many CHiPpies over the years that are very cool people. The LAPD offer...I don't even to comment on that one!!!

IMHO, I guess the bottom line is what YOU want to do. If you think CHP is a possibility for you see if they will let you go on a ride-a-long. That will give you some first hand experience at seeing if you think it would be for you.

Also, like Unit74 said, after you get some seniority the potential for moving throughout the state is good. When the deputies or officers of sleepy little towns are making just above minimum wage you'll be knocking down the good salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazoE
I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.

Last edited by yzernie; 08-22-2009 at 7:10 AM..
Old 08-22-2009, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

And the California State Police was not "abolished". It's role and responsibility (safety and security of all state owned buildings and grounds that aren't already under another agency such as DPR) was folded into CHP.

CHP's principal missions, aside from enforcing the vehicle code, investigating traffic collisions, DUI, auto theft and auto fraud investigation, are to provide security for the Executive Branch of the state's government, safegaurd buildings and grounds as assigned, support local law enforcement through mutual aid and ernhanced services. CHP has greatly expanded their air support mission and provides helicopter support through mutual aid to cities and counties all over the state that can't afford those kinds of services.

CHP is a great agency, full of good people and with a tough academy. Their scope is somewhat limited and it's not often that they play in what could be considered more traditional LEO areas. But they tend to be pretty good at what they do and when you put out an "all units" for something that needs a lot of butt kicking to solve, seeing all those khaki uniforms coming out of the woodwork is very reassuring.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 08-22-2009, 8:19 AM

I'm sorry, but has this ever happened to any of you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfO6...eature=related

LOL!

My main thing that I'm concerned about would be the physical assessment test. What does that consist of?
Old 08-22-2009, 8:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
I'm sorry, but has this ever happened to any of you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjfO6...eature=related

LOL!

My main thing that I'm concerned about would be the physical assessment test. What does that consist of?

I admire your enthusiam, but did you check the CHP website at www.CHP.CA.Gov, that I previously referred you to? The answers are there.
Old 08-22-2009, 8:54 AM

Thanks, I was searching the site, then found it in the FAQ's...should have known!
Old 08-22-2009, 9:02 AM

This would depend on the command that you work for. I've known friends with the same problems, but I have never run into it. Great job!!!!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
Old 08-22-2009, 9:38 AM

Lunch Pay
Officer's are paid an additional 6.25% of their base salary, or approximately $4,953 annually at the top step.

Lunch Pay? Now that's what I'm talking about! Wish my agency had that! Extra $5K.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caoboy View Post
Thanks, I was searching the site, then found it in the FAQ's...should have known!
You should check out all the pages in the Recruitment box.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay View Post
and when you put out an "all units" for something that needs a lot of butt kicking to solve, seeing all those khaki uniforms coming out of the woodwork is very reassuring.
I suppose that depends on what area you work. When one of my deputies was shot during a robbery and we still had a suspect inside the store they were very good about providing traffic control from a block away...right next to the 'staging' nozzleheads.

Quote:

Last edited by yzernie; 08-23-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Old 08-23-2009, 12:49 PM

I am thinking about joining the CHP and have just submitted an app. It seems all the local law enforement agencies are not hiring (SF Bay Area)
Old 08-23-2009, 3:19 PM
Administrator

Fire in the Hole, I just watched your graduation video. WOW! We never did that on our course (L.A. County Fairgrounds in Pomona). That was some pretty impressive driving.

Our course is shorter than yours from what I was able to tell, but still, we didn't drive that close nor do the controlled slide outs (or whatever you call them).

Thanks for the video.
Old 08-23-2009, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Fire in the Hole, I just watched your graduation video. WOW! We never did that on our course (L.A. County Fairgrounds in Pomona). That was some pretty impressive driving.

Our course is shorter than yours from what I was able to tell, but still, we didn't drive that close nor do the controlled slide outs (or whatever you call them).

Thanks for the video.

I remember doing the Pomona EVOC in LASD. CHP has to go through the last 10 weeks academy of EVOC three times per week. Easy, since the course is on the academy grounds. You must realize that all the drivers in that demo are the EVOC instructors, showing the family and friends of the graduating cadets what we've just taught their sons, daughters, husbands, or wives how to do. The CHP puts on an 8 hour tour day on graduation day, for those that want to see the whole schmeer, prior to the actual ceremony. The range staff even lets parents/spouses onto the range to shoot the full auto MP-5's if they want.
Old 08-23-2009, 7:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie View Post
I suppose that depends on what area you work. When one of my deputies was shot during a robbery and we still had a suspect inside the store they were very good about providing traffic control from a block away...right next to the 'staging' nozzleheads.
You will note I said "butt kicking" and not "police work".....

Big whatever goes sideways, rocks and bottles start flying... that kind of stuff. A lot of CHP guys I've worked with and around eat that stuff up.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 08-23-2009, 7:30 PM

I'm reluctant to post this but...

OP: "If you aren't CHP, or retired CHP, please don't bother posting if it's just going to be negative, as I don't want this thread to end up a CHP bashfest."

Yzernie:
"I suppose that depends on what area you work. When one of my deputies was shot during a robbery and we still had a suspect inside the store they were very good about providing traffic control from a block away...right next to the 'staging' nozzleheads."

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I hope you wrote a memo and reported it up channels, across, then down the CHP channels. Speaking only for myself, I'd low crawl under barbed wire on broken glass, taking live fire to aid a wounded Deputy, then suffer any criticisms later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay View Post
You will note I said "butt kicking" and not "police work".....

Really?

Big whatever goes sideways, rocks and bottles start flying... that kind of stuff. A lot of CHP guys I've worked with and around eat that stuff up.
Agreed.

Last edited by Fire in the Hole; 08-23-2009 at 8:15 PM..
Old 08-24-2009, 4:54 AM
Vendor/Retailer

FITH,

I apologize if you interpreted my comment as a 'bash'. When you quoted me in your above post you did not include the smilies I had attached to my post. Those smilies, especially this one indicate I was not completely serious. The local CHP office and my station have a good relationship and maybe I presumed the light hearted jabs CHP and my station toss back and forth were common over all of the jurisdictions.

If it would make you feel any better I'll give this scenario....I was the first unit onscene the night when Officer John Bailey was struck down on the I-15 here in Hesperia. I administered CPR on him until the 'nozzleheads' arrived and I called upon all of my stations and department resources here in the high desert to assist at the scene. I called out our Command Post and manned it with our Citizen's on Patrol volunteers so the CHP MAIT team could have a place to sit down in peace and quiet to conduct their investigation and if necessary to shed tear.

In my 31 years regular and 2 as a reserve, that night was the worst of my career and will probably hold that title until I retire in a couple years. I had never had to give CPR to a fallen brethren let alone control the scene even after Commander John Fogerty arrived. I had to keep him from tearing off some heads (namely the suspects). Watching Mercy Air lift off knowing it was simply an act of kindness to get John from the scene sticks in my head like it was yesterday.

As you know, light hearted kidding goes on all the time between departments. It is difficult to see my smile as I typed my original comment. We fight this battle together on the streets and whether you wear blue, tan or the tan and green, we are all in this together. Sorry you misinterpreted what I said but I guarantee you there was no malice in my comment.

Ernie

Quote:

Last edited by yzernie; 08-24-2009 at 4:59 AM..
Old 08-24-2009, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie View Post
FITH,

I apologize if you interpreted my comment as a 'bash'. When you quoted me in your above post you did not include the smilies I had attached to my post. Those smilies, especially this one indicate I was not completely serious. The local CHP office and my station have a good relationship and maybe I presumed the light hearted jabs CHP and my station toss back and forth were common over all of the jurisdictions.

If it would make you feel any better I'll give this scenario....I was the first unit onscene the night when Officer John Bailey was struck down on the I-15 here in Hesperia. I administered CPR on him until the 'nozzleheads' arrived and I called upon all of my stations and department resources here in the high desert to assist at the scene. I called out our Command Post and manned it with our Citizen's on Patrol volunteers so the CHP MAIT team could have a place to sit down in peace and quiet to conduct their investigation and if necessary to shed tear.

In my 31 years regular and 2 as a reserve, that night was the worst of my career and will probably hold that title until I retire in a couple years. I had never had to give CPR to a fallen brethren let alone control the scene even after Commander John Fogerty arrived. I had to keep him from tearing off some heads (namely the suspects). Watching Mercy Air lift off knowing it was simply an act of kindness to get John from the scene sticks in my head like it was yesterday.

As you know, light hearted kidding goes on all the time between departments. It is difficult to see my smile as I typed my original comment. We fight this battle together on the streets and whether you wear blue, tan or the tan and green, we are all in this together. Sorry you misinterpreted what I said but I guarantee you there was no malice in my comment.

Ernie
YZERNIE - you're a class act and a stand up guy. Thanks for your service.
Old 08-24-2009, 6:06 AM

I didn't consider it a bash especially, I was just considering the OP's request for this particular thread. It was rather specific. It looked like it was straying off course a bit. I wondered why out of all the hundreds of interactions you must have had in your career, why this was the one that you chose to share in this thread. I never doubted you devotion and dedication to duty, nor any animosity based upon the history of your previous posts. Thank you for your service!

Last edited by Fire in the Hole; 08-24-2009 at 6:37 AM..
Old 08-24-2009, 7:44 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire in the Hole View Post
I didn't consider it a bash especially, I was just considering the OP's request for this particular thread. It was rather specific. It looked like it was straying off course a bit. I wondered why out of all the hundreds of interactions you must have had in your career, why this was the one that you chose to share in this thread. I never doubted you devotion and dedication to duty, nor any animosity based upon the history of your previous posts. Thank you for your service!
Many reasons but not appropriate for discussion in this thread. If you'd like to PM me I'll explain all of the details to you.

CHP is an honorable choice.

Quote:
Old 08-24-2009, 7:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Here's an unofficial CHP site that may help http://www.chpforums.com/forum/index.php
Old 08-25-2009, 9:10 PM

In my opinion, CHP is a great department. ( Good luck with your process).

Last edited by retired; 08-26-2009 at 1:44 PM.. Reason: unnecessary
Old 08-26-2009, 11:30 AM

ASU5, please leave the thread. This thread isn't about one officer writing another a ticket.

I'd like to say that at this time, I'm still really researching on the CHP forum, website, and trying to just find out other points of view, as I really want to be sure that this is a career for me or not. As well as running 3 miles a day to get in shape! Thanks for the help for those of you who are LEO and have given great information!