Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-07-2019, 3:46 PM

Default Third gun allowed on permit

Hi folks,

This is yet another ďwhich gun to add to my permitĒ posts. I generally pocket carry a Smith & Wesson 642 or more rarely, a Smith & Wesson Shield in 9mm in a Kydex IWB holster.

Iím trying to decide which of the three revolvers in the picture to add as a third gun. Theyíre all .357 Magnum: Ruger Speed Six 2.75Ē, Ruger SP101 3Ē, Rossi R461 2Ē.

I havenít sent the Rossi in for the recall work yet, so that one is a little low on the list from that perspective, but it shoots great, has an excellent trigger, and it conceals the easiest. It holds 6 rounds. I like this gun much more than I thought I would.

The SP101 has Wolf springs and some polishing work on the trigger and sear so the trigger is nice. 5 rounds, but uses the same speed loafers as the 642 I carry most of the time.

I just got the Speed Six here on Calguns. It was a bit of an impulse purchase as Iíve been having a hard time finding a 3Ē K frame, and the new offerings from S&W donít push the right buttons for me. This gun is really nice. It has bead blasted finish, bobbed hammer, and the trigger has had work so itís super smooth. I sort of want to carry this gun, but it would be a shame to ding it up or have it held hostage in an evidence locker somewhere. I also wonder how much Iíd actually carry it because of the weight.

I shoot them all equally well (or portly depending on your perspective). I think they would all conceal well, but the Speed Six is heavier and larger than the other two.

The purpose of this gun would mainly be for hiking, long road trips in the car, and less for daily carry.

Thoughts?

Forget the whole revolver thing for hiking and carry my Glock 30sf? Honestly though, the 30sf is a bit thick for me. I did consider a 10 mm conversion for it, but Iíd like to stick with .38/.357 for simplicityís sake.

Thanks for your input

S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2019, 4:14 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Either one of those Rugers. Very hard to choose which because they are both so nice. The Speed Six looks like it is setup well for carry, and holds one more round. Love those wood grips on the Sp101.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-07-2019 at 4:17 PM..
Old 07-07-2019, 6:44 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

The six for sure based on your definition of what role it will play.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 07-07-2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Either one of those Rugers. Very hard to choose which because they are both so nice. The Speed Six looks like it is setup well for carry, and holds one more round. Love those wood grips on the Sp101.

Thanks. When I bought the grips, I thought they were way over priced, but I really like them too.

Old 07-10-2019, 6:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Your speed six is set up nice for what you want. I am thinking of adding my sp101 3" to my license at renewal, just seems like an all around solid carry piece. Can't go wrong with either...
Old 07-10-2019, 8:04 AM
Calguns Addict

I cannot help from wondering why you want 2 revolvers on your permission slip OP??? Maybe just filling an empty slot?

I shoot a 3" better than a <3" revolver so I'd say the Rugger 3" and put the rubber grips on it. I also like an exposed hammer for slow fire control.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

ďI didnít know I was a slave until I found out I couldnít do the things I wanted.Ē
Ė Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-10-2019, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel30 View Post
Your speed six is set up nice for what you want. I am thinking of adding my sp101 3" to my license at renewal, just seems like an all around solid carry piece. Can't go wrong with either...

Yeah Iím still torn between the two.

I suspect I would carry the sp101 more frequently though.

Old 07-10-2019, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
I cannot help from wondering why you want 2 revolvers on your permission slip OP??? Maybe just filling an empty slot?

I shoot a 3" better than a <3" revolver so I'd say the Rugger 3" and put the rubber grips on it. I also like an exposed hammer for slow fire control.

Well, I was considering 3 revolvers and no semi autos at one point.

I do prefer the simplicity or revolvers over most semi autos, and I like the need for deliberate trigger squeeze in the DAO ones.

My personal threat assessment doesnít lead me to believe that I need multiple reloads; that said, Iíd love to be able to list what ever I want, but Sacramento limits to 3.

The Shield is a great carry gun, and I shoot it about as well as I shoot my other handguns, but I really usually end up with the 642 the majority of the time. Itís easy to carry, super reliable, and accurate.

As for why another revolver, itís probably because I like revolvers, and Iíd like to stay with similar platforms, and .357 for a trail, hiking, car gun seems like a decent caliber.

My other semi automatic guns are 9mm or 45 acp. Iím not certain that those have any major advantage over 357 magnum other than capacity.

I donít mean to get into a caliber debate or a debate regarding how many rounds are enough though. I figured 38/357 works for me and 5-6 rounds at a time will likely be enough as well.

Thatís my thinking.

Old 07-10-2019, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirojiro View Post
Well, I was considering 3 revolvers and no semi autos at one point.

I do prefer the simplicity or revolvers over most semi autos, and I like the need for deliberate trigger squeeze in the DAO ones.

My personal threat assessment doesnít lead me to believe that I need multiple reloads; that said, Iíd love to be able to list what ever I want, but Sacramento limits to 3.

The Shield is a great carry gun, and I shoot it about as well as I shoot my other handguns, but I really usually end up with the 642 the majority of the time. Itís easy to carry, super reliable, and accurate.

As for why another revolver, itís probably because I like revolvers, and Iíd like to stay with similar platforms, and .357 for a trail, hiking, car gun seems like a decent caliber.

My other semi automatic guns are 9mm or 45 acp. Iím not certain that those have any major advantage over 357 magnum other than capacity.

I donít mean to get into a caliber debate or a debate regarding how many rounds are enough though. I figured 38/357 works for me and 5-6 rounds at a time will likely be enough as well.

Thatís my thinking.

Revolver man eh? Understood.
I used to carry a stainless 3" 38 Taurus on my paper some years ago. Mostly for fishing company in case I had a unscheduled dip in the creek/river.
If you carry more than one of those revolvers at the same time, there's your New York reload.
Sacto reload???

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

ďI didnít know I was a slave until I found out I couldnít do the things I wanted.Ē
Ė Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-10-2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Revolver man eh? Understood.
I used to carry a stainless 3" 38 Taurus on my paper some years ago. Mostly for fishing company in case I had a unscheduled dip in the creek/river.
If you carry more than one of those revolvers at the same time, there's your New York reload.
Sacto reload???

Sent using a long string and 2 used soup cans

Lol, yeah I do like the idea of having two guns with which I can use the same ammo and speed loaders.

Sacto reload indeed!

Old 07-10-2019, 7:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Spurred hammers can snag, but since you intend for other than daily carry, take the SP101.
Old 07-11-2019, 7:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Is it for serious hiking? As in all day peak bagging local mountains or just casual hikes?

If the former then your 642 is heavy enough. I would use the weight saving to have extra water or a filter. For the latter, I would take the SP-101. Now if I were camping overnight, it will be the SP as well.
Old 07-15-2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
Is it for serious hiking? As in all day peak bagging local mountains or just casual hikes?

If the former then your 642 is heavy enough. I would use the weight saving to have extra water or a filter. For the latter, I would take the SP-101. Now if I were camping overnight, it will be the SP as well.
Mostly day and overnight hikes.

Do you think weight savings is important enough to forgo having a 357 magnum?