Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-03-2019, 10:49 AM

Default CCW at CHP

I need to go to the CHP office in my town. Searched the web and the board for answers to my question, but couldn't find any. So here it is.

Is it prohibited to CCW when going to a CHP office?
Old 07-03-2019, 10:56 AM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Almost every law enforcement office I have seen has large signage at the public entrance that say no firearms. That goes for Nevada too, and probably many other gun friendlier states. I'd plan to leave it in the car, locked up of course as required by law when leaving a firearm in an unattended vehicle.

Old 07-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother_Hesekiel View Post
It's okay as long as you draw your weapon as you enter and wave it around in the air so they see it, and yell, "I've got a gun!" so they understand what your are showing them.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:19 PM

Went to the CHP office, and there was indeed a sign at the entrance, prohibiting guns and "sharp objects" (pencils, anyone?). But it's still a valid question, isn't it?
Assume no sign, because they are renovating or whatever. What does the law say about CCW inside the CHP office and their parking lot?
Old 07-03-2019, 12:56 PM

Its the same as any other 'public' building like the DMV or City Hall; if you have an LTC you are exempt.

171b.

(a) Any person who brings or possesses within any state or local public building or at any meeting required to be open to the public pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 54950) of Part 1 of Division 2 of Title 5 of, or Article 9 (commencing with Section 11120) of Chapter 1 of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of, the Government Code, any of the following is guilty of a public offense punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year, or in the state prison:

(1) Any firearm.

(2) Any deadly weapon described in Section 17235 or in any provision listed in Section 16590.

(3) Any knife with a blade length in excess of four inches, the blade of which is fixed or is capable of being fixed in an unguarded position by the use of one or two hands.

(4) Any unauthorized tear gas weapon.

(5) Any taser or stun gun, as defined in Section 244.5.

(6) Any instrument that expels a metallic projectile, such as a BB or pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO2 pressure, or spring action, or any spot marker gun or paint gun.

(b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to, or affect, any of the following:

(1) A person who possesses weapons in, or transports weapons into, a court of law to be used as evidence.

(2) (A) A duly appointed peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a retired peace officer with authorization to carry concealed weapons as described in Article 2 (commencing with Section 25450) of Chapter 2 of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in California, or any person summoned by any of these officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while he or she is actually engaged in assisting the officer.

(B) Notwithstanding subparagraph (A), subdivision (a) shall apply to any person who brings or possesses any weapon specified therein within any courtroom if he or she is a party to an action pending before the court.

(3) A person holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 26150) of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6.

(4) A person who has permission to possess that weapon granted in writing by a duly authorized official who is in charge of the security of the state or local government building.

(5) A person who lawfully resides in, lawfully owns, or is in lawful possession of, that building with respect to those portions of the building that are not owned or leased by the state or local government.

(6) A person licensed or registered in accordance with, and acting within the course and scope of, Chapter 11.5 (commencing with Section 7512) or Chapter 11.6 (commencing with Section 7590) of Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code who has been hired by the owner or manager of the building if the person has permission pursuant to paragraph (5).

(7) (A) A person who, for the purpose of sale or trade, brings any weapon that may otherwise be lawfully transferred, into a gun show conducted pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 27200) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 27300) of Chapter 3 of Division 6 of Title 4 of Part 6.

(B) A person who, for purposes of an authorized public exhibition, brings any weapon that may otherwise be lawfully possessed, into a gun show conducted pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 27200) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 27300) of Chapter 3 of Division 6 of Title 4 of Part 6.

(c) As used in this section, “state or local public building” means a building that meets all of the following criteria:

(1) It is a building or part of a building owned or leased by the state or local government, if state or local public employees are regularly present for the purposes of performing their official duties. A state or local public building includes, but is not limited to, a building that contains a courtroom.

(2) It is not a building or facility, or a part thereof, that is referred to in Section 171c, 171d, 626.9, 626.95, or 626.10 of this code, or in Section 18544 of the Elections Code.

(3) It is a building not regularly used, and not intended to be used, by state or local employees as a place of residence.
Old 07-03-2019, 1:03 PM

Cops don't care about laws, watch any 1st amendment video taping troll.

"Cross your feet! Kneel down! Stand up! Crawl! Right hand in! Left foot out! You're a little teapot! YOU'RE A LITTLE TEAPOT!"
Old 07-03-2019, 1:29 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Went to the CHP office, and there was indeed a sign at the entrance, prohibiting guns and "sharp objects" (pencils, anyone?). But it's still a valid question, isn't it?
Assume no sign, because they are renovating or whatever. What does the law say about CCW inside the CHP office and their parking lot?
Valid question for sure and thanks for reporting what you saw.

As noted, CCW is exempt from the prohibition on carry in state buildings. But I personally would not carry into LE building, sign or no sign.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 07-03-2019 at 1:31 PM..
Old 07-03-2019, 3:02 PM

as an aside, I was being inspected by a Commercial CHP, I asked him to run my CDL to see if my CCW permit showed up, he did and he saw nothing that shows I have a CCW permit.
Old 07-04-2019, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevs09 View Post
as an aside, I was being inspected by a Commercial CHP, I asked him to run my CDL to see if my CCW permit showed up, he did and he saw nothing that shows I have a CCW permit.
Only the crew on black helicopters have the CCW database.
Old 07-04-2019, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

Default CCW at CHP

OP, what you need to to is bring one of those handheld electronic public address megaphones. Walk up to the entrance, but before you open the door, make a clear announcement at maximum volume:

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! All CHP personnel and other assorted persons, be advised that I am ARMED! But I pose no THREAT!
NO THREAT! I am legally ARMED! I have a License To Carry A Concealed FIREARM Within The State Of California! Prepare, for I AM ABOUT TO ENTER!!!

That should fix it. Enter and offer to show your new custom grips to the first officer you see.°

——

° No, don’t really do that. That would be stupid. I wasn’t being serious, obviously. Maybe just ask yourself why it’s so danged important to you to carry in there. And then, leave it at home or legally lock it in your vehicle beforehand.

Last edited by Old_Bald_Guy; 07-04-2019 at 2:35 PM..
Old 07-04-2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Bald_Guy View Post
OP, what you need to to is bring one of those handheld electronic public address megaphones. Walk up to the entrance, but before you open the door, make a clear announcement at maximum volume:

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! All CHP personnel and other assorted persons, be advised that I am ARMED! But I pose no THREAT!
NO THREAT! I am legally ARMED! I have a License To Carry A Concealed FIREARM Within The State Of California! Prepare, for I AM ABOUT TO ENTER!!!

That should fix it. Enter and offer to show your new custom grips to the first officer.

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-04-2019, 5:10 PM
This space for rent!
CGN Contributor

This could be you!!!! Of course these clowns are openly carrying AND it's a black rifle.

Deerborn MI Police station does not go as planned...

NRA life member since 1997
CRPA member
Old 07-04-2019, 5:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimvh2 View Post
This could be you!!!! Of course these clowns are openly carrying AND it's a black rifle.

And,it’s in Michigan, so it’s irrelevant...
Old 07-04-2019, 6:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I need to go to the CHP office in my town. Searched the web and the board for answers to my question, but couldn't find any. So here it is.

No, but do you think your life would be endangered there? If so, do you think you would win a gunfight against a building full of armed law enforcement officers?

Law enforcement facilities are, perhaps, the least risky places to go if you are a “good guy”. Don’t forget to report the contact to your IA.
Old 07-04-2019, 6:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If they run you through the “known persons” or “rap sheet” data base, you will appear. Also, if they run you against AFS, you’ll show. But standard DL doesn’t interface.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
No, but do you think your life would be endangered there? If so, do you think you would win a gunfight against a building full of armed law enforcement officers?

Law enforcement facilities are, perhaps, the least risky places to go if you are a “good guy”. Don’t forget to report the contact to your IA.
Let me answer that.
If I don't have to disarm myself, I just walk in and since I'm carrying concealed, nobody will ever know. Convenience, that's all.
If I have to disarm myself, I need to secretly -- out of sight -- take off my firearm, put it in the container I have under my car's seat, and then lock that thing up in my car's trunk.
Then I walk in, and when I come out, I have to do the same in reverse order. It really is just a matter of convenience, nothing else.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Let me answer that.
If I don't have to disarm myself, I just walk in and since I'm carrying concealed, nobody will ever know. Convenience, that's all.
If I have to disarm myself, I need to secretly -- out of sight -- take off my firearm, put it in the container I have under my car's seat, and then lock that thing up in my car's trunk.
Then I walk in, and when I come out, I have to do the same in reverse order. It really is just a matter of convenience, nothing else.
Presuming the container is locked, you don’t have to lock the container in the trunk, just put it out of view. You don’t even have to unload the gun.
Old 07-05-2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:

They wouldn't want you going in there with a camera, let alone a gun.

Old 07-05-2019, 1:45 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

My local PD has a no weapons or firearms sign on the door. Personally I would disarm in the parking lot as that would probably be the worst place on earth to print or have an accident showing. You may get shot before you have a chance to explain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 07-05-2019, 2:04 PM

When ever I go to the Sheriffs office to do some paperwork I leave my CCW in the truck.
Old 07-05-2019, 2:06 PM

Don't carry into an office filled with a bunch of Officers that got themselves assigned to desk duty.

On a side note, a 5 year CHP officer told me what he makes a year. $162,000
WTF?
Old 07-05-2019, 2:08 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
Don't carry into an office filled with a bunch of Officers that got themselves assigned to desk duty.

On a side note, a 5 year CHP officer told me what he makes a year. $162,000
WTF?
I believe that's got a lot of OT built into it. Granted they have to work a lot of OT typically I believe. Still a lot of $. Guess I shouldn't have gone into construction, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 07-05-2019, 2:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
I believe that's got a lot of OT built into it. Granted they have to work a lot of OT typically I believe. Still a lot of $. Guess I shouldn't have gone into construction, lol.
Base salary + shift differentials + pre/post shift activities pay + overtime.

Patrol tops out at about $8800/month, base salary.
Old 07-05-2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
He said that is with 15hrs OT a month tops.

Some other interesting topics he brought up. No ticket quotas, you get paid by the hour and you do not have to write any tickets if you do not wish to, but at the end of the day you better be able to explain what you did during your paid hours on shift to justify your time.

And none of the revenue from writing tickets/fines etc comes back to the CHP. The CHP is funded through a portion of your Registration fees at the DMV.

He was mentioning what he gets paid when covering one of the topics about police abuse or something. Stating why the hell would I want to risk my great paying job.

Last edited by CaliforniaCowboy; 07-05-2019 at 3:25 PM..
Old 07-05-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I thought I read/heard somewhere that your CCW comes up on the second page of the computer screen when an LEO runs your CDL.
Old 07-06-2019, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvrjon View Post
Presuming the container is locked, you don’t have to lock the container in the trunk, just put it out of view. You don’t even have to unload the gun.
I know, but I drive an old convertible, and I wouldn't want my loaded gun being under the seat in an unlocked and easily accessible car. On the same note, I personally feel that if I enter the CHP parking lot and start fumbling around with my weapon to put it in the container, this may also become an issue, given all the cameras around.

But the question has been answered properly. It's not illegal to carry concealed, but it's also not smart to do so.
Old 07-08-2019, 9:43 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

If I was proficient at having it concealed in a quality holster, I, personally, would feel more comfortable just going about my business, then I would fumbling around with it in the parking lot. Odds of it being spotted while taking it off, putting it back on are much higher.

Maybe call ahead and ask what they prefer. Tell them you have to stop by the office for whatever you're doing, you have a CCW, and would they prefer you disarm in the parking lot and store it in the car, or not.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:16 PM

Someone quoted the actual governing PC, so it appears it's 100% legal for you to carry in there. Frankly, the last place I'd want to CCW is a police station. The risk of something going horribly / tragically wrong is increased exponentially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
If I was proficient at having it concealed in a quality holster, I, personally, would feel more comfortable just going about my business, then I would fumbling around with it in the parking lot. Odds of it being spotted while taking it off, putting it back on are much higher.
Talk about setting yourself up for a confrontation, this would certainly do it if anyone happens to be watching the lot on camera, or happens to be nearby.

Personally, I would never carry to a police station of any kind, even if I could get a CCW. Of course, I try to avoid going to police stations altogether.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 07-19-2019, 9:12 PM

Madera told me the only ones that know you have a ccw is Madera Leo
Old 07-20-2019, 6:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by painkiller View Post
Madera told me the only ones that know you have a ccw is Madera Leo
The CII ("Criminal Identification Index") Number carried on the license is assigned by DOJ and is used to record that an individual was fingerprinted. It is a unique identifier linking you, your license and your record. Law enforcement throughout the state can access this data. If they run your ID and request CII info, your license will be reflected.

Also, your CCW information is, by statute, reported to DOJ and is recorded in the Registry and is associated with your authorized guns. LEO can run the guns through AFS and it will reflect the that the gun is associated with a CCW.
Old 07-20-2019, 6:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaCowboy View Post
He was mentioning what he gets paid when covering one of the topics about police abuse or something. Stating why the hell would I want to risk my great paying job.
A very wise man

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
NRA Instructor: Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Range Safety Officer
Range Safety Officer - South Bay Rod and Gun Club www.sbrgc.org
Old 07-21-2019, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Default CCW at CHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
Maybe call ahead and ask what they prefer. Tell them you have to stop by the office for whatever you're doing, you have a CCW, and would they prefer you disarm in the parking lot and store it in the car, or not.

OP:
There’s no good reason for calling and asking that. None. They do NOT want you in there while armed. If whomever you talk to on the phone is in a particularly good mood and generally favorably inclined toward LTC, they’ll tell you to disarm in the lot. Most likely, however, they’re gonna tell you to leave it at home.

Come to terms with the fact — regardless of what some of the more, uh, zealous members will say — that there are just some times when various factors (risk/benefit, logistics, type of destination) simply make leaving it at home a better choice. If you ever reach the point where you’re afraid to go anywhere at all without it, it’s time to reassess your logic.

Leave it home, or lock it up at a suitable location before entering their lot.
Old 08-04-2019, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Its the same as any other 'public' building like the DMV or City Hall; if you have an LTC you are exempt.

171b.

(a) Any person who brings or possesses within any state or local public building or at any meeting required to be open to the public pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 54950) of Part 1 of Division 2 of Title 5 of, or Article 9 (commencing with Section 11120) of Chapter 1 of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of, the Government Code, any of the following is guilty of a public offense punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year, or in the state prison:

(1) Any firearm.

(2) Any deadly weapon described in Section 17235 or in any provision listed in Section 16590.

(3) Any knife with a blade length in excess of four inches, the blade of which is fixed or is capable of being fixed in an unguarded position by the use of one or two hands.

(4) Any unauthorized tear gas weapon.

(5) Any taser or stun gun, as defined in Section 244.5.

(6) Any instrument that expels a metallic projectile, such as a BB or pellet, through the force of air pressure, CO2 pressure, or spring action, or any spot marker gun or paint gun.

(b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to, or affect, any of the following:

(1) A person who possesses weapons in, or transports weapons into, a court of law to be used as evidence.

(2) (A) A duly appointed peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a retired peace officer with authorization to carry concealed weapons as described in Article 2 (commencing with Section 25450) of Chapter 2 of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in California, or any person summoned by any of these officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while he or she is actually engaged in assisting the officer.

(B) Notwithstanding subparagraph (A), subdivision (a) shall apply to any person who brings or possesses any weapon specified therein within any courtroom if he or she is a party to an action pending before the court.

(3) A person holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 26150) of Division 5 of Title 4 of Part 6.

(4) A person who has permission to possess that weapon granted in writing by a duly authorized official who is in charge of the security of the state or local government building.

(5) A person who lawfully resides in, lawfully owns, or is in lawful possession of, that building with respect to those portions of the building that are not owned or leased by the state or local government.

(6) A person licensed or registered in accordance with, and acting within the course and scope of, Chapter 11.5 (commencing with Section 7512) or Chapter 11.6 (commencing with Section 7590) of Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code who has been hired by the owner or manager of the building if the person has permission pursuant to paragraph (5).

(7) (A) A person who, for the purpose of sale or trade, brings any weapon that may otherwise be lawfully transferred, into a gun show conducted pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 27200) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 27300) of Chapter 3 of Division 6 of Title 4 of Part 6.

(B) A person who, for purposes of an authorized public exhibition, brings any weapon that may otherwise be lawfully possessed, into a gun show conducted pursuant to Article 1 (commencing with Section 27200) and Article 2 (commencing with Section 27300) of Chapter 3 of Division 6 of Title 4 of Part 6.

(c) As used in this section, “state or local public building” means a building that meets all of the following criteria:

(1) It is a building or part of a building owned or leased by the state or local government, if state or local public employees are regularly present for the purposes of performing their official duties. A state or local public building includes, but is not limited to, a building that contains a courtroom.

(2) It is not a building or facility, or a part thereof, that is referred to in Section 171c, 171d, 626.9, 626.95, or 626.10 of this code, or in Section 18544 of the Elections Code.

(3) It is a building not regularly used, and not intended to be used, by state or local employees as a place of residence.

I remember being distinctly told in my CCW class that the LTC was not valid in a State building. The question came up from a State worker. Was the information in the class wrong?

Old 08-05-2019, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

Dibs on OP’s guns

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

—“Who, that fuggin’ nobody?

—“That fuggin’ nobody........was John Wick!
Old 08-05-2019, 7:17 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewpolar View Post
I remember being distinctly told in my CCW class that the LTC was not valid in a State building. The question came up from a State worker. Was the information in the class wrong?

Wouldn’t be the first time bad info was given in a CCW class, won’t be the last. CA gun laws are too convoluted and change too frequently.

Old 08-07-2019, 9:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewpolar View Post

The state has a rather extensive "Workplace Violence" program based on the Labor Code. The policies are binding on state employees and usually ban firearms from the workplace. (Although the policies also cite the prohibitions on firearms under PEN 171b, the policies I've read conveniently omit the CCW exemption. This includes the CalHR official guideline, Page 6). This isn't new; it's been going for at least a decade.

As an employee, that policy is binding as a consideration of employment, is included in labor agreements, and carrying can be the basis for personnel action including dismissal.

As a citizen, you can carry under license, but you can also be asked to leave. If you don't leave, you'll get called in as a trespasser. Or, if you are spotted by someone who calls in "person with gun", LEO will arrive really quickly. The CHP responds to security calls at state buildings.
They will be unhappy.
They will be under pressure to overtly protect the state employee workplace.
They will take you and your gun.
They will notify your IA.
Old 08-07-2019, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

1) why do you think you need to? A CHP office is probably a VERY safe place. 2) Even if you can, this is one of those "what you can do" and "what you should do" are probably very different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
It's okay as long as you draw your weapon as you enter and wave it around in the air so they see it, and yell, "I've got a gun!" so they understand what your are showing them.
Dont forget to wear a GoPro for that one... I wanna see!

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 08-07-2019 at 7:22 PM..
Old 08-08-2019, 3:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
1) why do you think you need to? A CHP office is probably a VERY safe place. 2) Even if you can, this is one of those "what you can do" and "what you should do" are probably very different things.

Dont forget to wear a GoPro for that one... I wanna see!
Also, a "selfie-stick". That way we can see the expression on HIS face and he can stream live...(for a short while)....
Old 08-10-2019, 6:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
FALSE

OP you don't have to go through that nonsense, just open carry an AR in the office, "it will announce itself."

If Ponch or Jon get all hinky, just inform them that you know that it's not a Police Station. Remind them that CHP means "Cant Handle Police work."

Be sure to report back.
Old 08-10-2019, 6:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimvh2 View Post

Whenever I start feeling down on the police, like after a bad shooting, I just watch something like this, or a few episodes of COPS, and I feel all better.

The guys in that video are perfect idiots, the police were models of restraint.

What complete idiots.