Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-01-2019, 7:54 AM

Default Annealing

Annealing helps prevent the neck from becoming brittle and extends the life of the brass. Do you anneal every reload or every x times a cartridge is reloaded? Which method of annealing is preferred? Is the induction method ultimately the best answer if cost is not considered? Is annealing worth the time and effort?
Old 07-01-2019, 8:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Annealing is worth the effort.
Try 20 pieces. The drill and socket method with a torch.
Then decide how much you want.to spend..
Old 07-01-2019, 8:13 AM

I have this one:

http://www.mikesreloadingbench.com/mrb2018_006.htm

If you are reloading range pick-up brass, don't bother with annealing: you most likely have more than enough brass to lose/discard, and you won't see enough improvement in accuracy to make it worth the investment in money and time.

If you are reloading single-headstamp, weight-sorted or single-lot brass multiple (like 5+ times) for a precision rifle, then it is worth annealing the brass.

Not only does it extend the life of the case neck, it restores a consistent neck tension, assuming the annealing is done correctly and consistently. If you over-anneal some and under-anneal others, it's worse than not annealing at all, accuracy-wise, because you will get inconsistent neck tension.

If a rifle chamber's neck diameter is more than .004" over the loaded cartridge neck diameter, I would anneal after every firing.
Old 07-01-2019, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykan View Post
I have this one:

http://www.mikesreloadingbench.com/mrb2018_006.htm

If you are reloading range pick-up brass, don't bother with annealing: you most likely have more than enough brass to lose/discard, and you won't see enough improvement in accuracy to make it worth the investment in money and time.

If you are reloading single-headstamp, weight-sorted or single-lot brass multiple (like 5+ times) for a precision rifle, then it is worth annealing the brass.

Not only does it extend the life of the case neck, it restores a consistent neck tension, assuming the annealing is done correctly and consistently. If you over-anneal some and under-anneal others, it's worse than not annealing at all, accuracy-wise, because you will get inconsistent neck tension.

If a rifle chamber's neck diameter is more than .004" over the loaded cartridge neck diameter, I would anneal after every firing.

Great information. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2019, 8:32 AM

The annealeez is what I have. The price is not bad for what you get. It’s a very nice easy to use unit.
Old 07-01-2019, 3:03 PM

Any opinions on salt bath annealing?
Old 07-01-2019, 3:10 PM

Default Devil on one shoulder; angel on the other

Had a long talk with Brian over at Orange County Reloading. I've got this awful perfectionist bend and a lot of times I wish I didn't. I think I'm going to go that route.
Old 07-01-2019, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodeer View Post
Cool concept, but automated feed is the way to go.
Old 07-09-2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtlaw View Post
Annealing helps prevent the neck from becoming brittle and extends the life of the brass. Do you anneal every reload or every x times a cartridge is reloaded? Which method of annealing is preferred? Is the induction method ultimately the best answer if cost is not considered? Is annealing worth the time and effort?
Yes. If you do a more consistent job in your annealing it can also, improve accuracy. I anneal every 5 firings for all rifle brass, and every other time for .50 BMG (Just because the cases cost too must to have them crack on me).

I prefer salt bath annealing because it isn't $1,000 to tool up, and it's just as consistent.

Ultimately, induction is the best to my knowledge.

Annealing is worth the time and effort. I've done the torch method, but you can get into salt bath annealing for as cheap as $100. If you spend ~$240, you can make yourself a PID controller, which will monitor and control you pot's temperature automatically. Very convenient. See here for how to make PID controller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGOqMyx5kv4
Old 07-10-2019, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodeer View Post
If you haven't, go to AMP's website and read their article on salt bath annealing. You'll find it under Media||Articles. Their 3-part series on "Annealing Under the Microscope" has good info as well.