Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-06-2019, 9:24 PM

Default Stopped for speeding while carrying

Got pulled over by a LA County Sheriff on my way back from lunch today (55 in a 40 zone I thought was a 45 zone). Handed him my CDL and my CCW permit and he - wait for it - did precisely nothing. Handed my permit back without a word and proceeded to write me a ticket and send me on my way.

What a pleasant surprise that was. Bravo LASD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2019, 9:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Why was this a surprise? Carrying with a valid CCW permit is legal.

Old 06-06-2019, 9:52 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

LAPD probably would have been a different story. If your IA requires notice of LE contact, don’t forget to do it.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was hoping he let you off with a warning.
2.5" Smith & Wesson Model 66
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Colt Series 70 1911
Sig Sauer West German P228
Old 06-06-2019, 10:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
Why was this a surprise? Carrying with a valid CCW permit is legal.
This. People always seem to think tat LA or SF cops are going to freak out because you have a CCW...
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 06-07-2019, 4:51 AM

I would’ve demanded he cuff me and do a field strip of my weapon on the side of the road. No exceptions.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:32 AM

As far as notifying the officer, he did that. He handed him his CCW license. No issue there as the OP complied.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:52 AM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by phdo View Post
I was hoping he let you off with a warning.
I know you probably just joking

I've never anticipated NOT getting a ticket just because I have a CCW if I have broken the Law ... and will gladly accept a ticket if warranted.

In 18 years of CCW, I've been stopped 4 times. Three times I showed my permit with ID and of those 3 times I was not ticketed, even though Officer had me dead to rights. All three were either Mendocino or Sonoma County.

The ONE time I was stopped and ticketed was when I decided NOT to offer my CCW on ID request. And that decision was based on fact that I was in Santa Clara County which, as we all know, is extreme anti gun hostile Law Enforcement. They just a bunch'a whack job liberals in S.J. Police and S.C. Co Sheriff Dept anyhows ... so THE HALE WITH THEM ...!

Mendocino County does not require that we submit CCW on LE contact, but that Sheriff Allman suggests that we do submit on contact - the decision is ours.
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel
Old 06-07-2019, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZirconJohn View Post

Mendocino County does not require that we submit CCW on LE contact, but that Sheriff Allman suggests that we do submit on contact - the decision is ours.

San Diego County also does not require to inform but the Sheriff says for everyone’s safety, it is best to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 4:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sheriff's don't normally do traffic stops, at least here in SLO County.
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 06-07-2019, 6:57 PM
Rattlesnake Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
San Diego County also does not require to inform but the Sheriff says for everyone’s safety, it is best to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed - "when it's best to do so"

However, when in Santa Clara County and dealing with anti gun Santa Clara County SO and San Jose Police State - Both criminal Law Offices IMO.

I am born and raised in San Jose, I have family and friends live there. I feel sorry for them. And I feel sorry for anyone have to live with these two Law breaking liberal left masters of the little people they are sworn to serve and protect.

Where I live now - Mendocino County. Ukiah Police - Mendocino Sheriff Deptartment. I am on first name basis friends with Sheriff Allman, and Police Chief Wyatt. Not everyday personal friends, but business and professional friends. I have immense respect for these two Departments of Mendocino County - Real Law Enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
Where does it say that I said THE Sheriff does traffic stops? - Allow me to school you please ... The Sheriff is the Issuing Agency (IA) of CCW. The Sheriff indicates requirements of your CCW upon issuance. Now ... there are Deputies of the Sheriff Dept - The Deputies make the traffic stops and enforce IA Law and requirements as prescribed by the Sheriff.

I very rarely see Sheriff Tom Allman in uniform let alone at a traffic stop on the side of the road. And I do think that if I did ever see Sheriff Allman on a traffic stop on the side of the road, he'd probably be wearing Levi's, tennis shoes and a polo shirt with sunglasses driving an unmarked ... I'd probably stop and ask him if everything was okay And Tom would probably just say 'yaaaa ... I'm okay - how you doing today John?'
Old 06-07-2019, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
This. People always seem to think tat LA or SF cops are going to freak out because you have a CCW...
That's because some LEO's do freak out. Depends on the individual LEO.
Old 06-07-2019, 8:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Agreed - "when it's best to do so"

However, when in Santa Clara County and dealing with anti gun Santa Clara County SO and San Jose Police State - Both criminal Law Offices IMO.

I am born and raised in San Jose, I have family and friends live there. I feel sorry for them. And I feel sorry for anyone have to live with these two Law breaking liberal left masters of the little people they are sworn to serve and protect.

Where I live now - Mendocino County. Ukiah Police - Mendocino Sheriff Deptartment. I am on first name basis friends with Sheriff Allman, and Police Chief Wyatt. Not everyday personal friends, but business and professional friends. I have immense respect for these two Departments of Mendocino County - Real Law Enforcement.

Where does it say that I said THE Sheriff does traffic stops? - Allow me to school you please ... The Sheriff is the Issuing Agency (IA) of CCW. The Sheriff indicates requirements of your CCW upon issuance. Now ... there are Deputies of the Sheriff Dept - The Deputies make the traffic stops and enforce IA Law and requirements as prescribed by the Sheriff.

I very rarely see Sheriff Tom Allman in uniform let alone at a traffic stop on the side of the road. And I do think that if I did ever see Sheriff Allman on a traffic stop on the side of the road, he'd probably be wearing Levi's, tennis shoes and a polo shirt with sunglasses driving an unmarked ... I'd probably stop and ask him if everything was okay And Tom would probably just say 'yaaaa ... I'm okay - how you doing today John?'
I don't know what you're talking about and I don't think you do either.
I said sheriff's (deputies as they call themselves) rarely do traffic stops (that means for traffic violations) in SLO County. But Tom can do whatever he wants I suppose.
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 06-07-2019, 8:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
That's because some LEO's do freak out. Depends on the individual LEO.
How often does this happen? Do you have any statistics to support this?

Old 06-07-2019, 8:53 PM
Rattlesnake Hunter

Quote:
I don't know what you're talking about and I don't think you do either.
I said sheriff's (deputies as they call themselves) rarely do traffic stops (that means for traffic violations) in SLO County. But Tom can do whatever he wants I suppose.
Ya ... I don't know what I'm talking about I don't fall for adolescent trolling son ... weak try at best

Sheriff Deputies do traffic stops in Mendocino County - I've been on many'a ride-alongs with 3 different Deputy friends of mine. Just small talk, lunch and bull-sheeting most of the time ... but that can change real quick at times, but mostly nothing happening.

Okay ... your turn now ... try trolling me again see if I fall for it
Old 06-07-2019, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
In OC OCSD is hired to perform LEO duties for various cities so they do traffic stops.
Old 06-08-2019, 9:08 AM

Default Pulled over twice by San Mateo County Sheriff

Shortly after I got my CCW last year, I was pulled over twice by San Mateo County Sheriffs. Once for speeding and the other was for supposedly drifting several times out of my lane. The pullover for speeding was legitimate but the other was not. I think they were looking for DUI drivers since it was early in the morning. Both times I informed the Sheriff of my CCW, both times I was asked politely if I was carrying and where my firearm was located. Both times the Sheriff returned with my ID, CCW and registration, told me to be careful and to have a good night!
Old 06-11-2019, 8:28 PM

The usual CG sentiment regarding LEOs being ignorant of the law notwithstanding, I heard Officer Gregg (of Taofledermaus fame on YT) state on a podcast that "...contrary to popular belief, California law doesn't require CCW permit holders to inform law enforcement that they have a permit," but my IA (OCSD) does require it as part of their permit-related policy. I suppose there are IAs in the state that do not require it.

OCSD does traffic in Yorba Linda and in other cities where they are contracted. Even LASD does traffic sometimes. I was once ticketed by an LASD motor officer, who was using a LIDAR unit on a street which lacked a legit speed survey (i.e., illegally). I fought that and prevailed.

Freeways are usually regarded as CHP jurisdiction, but I've seen LASD use their flood light to warn a speeding motorist on a freeway to slow down. I figure they probably would have pulled that motorist over had the person not heeded the warning.
Old 06-12-2019, 8:08 AM

The vast majority of LE is pro CCW and pro 2a. Most traffic stops, the CCW is a non-issue. If I was fishing for something else, that is usually the end of the stop as I would now know they are not wanted or be on probation/parole. I also generally did not cite people with a CCW, but I did a couple times.

The only time I ever disarmed someone with a CCW was because I was doing a DUI investigation. I ended up arresting him for DUI and cut him a break on the carrying unlawfully (since he was intoxicated).

Unfortunately, not all cops are pro CCW. I have definitely heard stories and I have some LE friends that are definitely not pro 2a. They give LE a bad name in my opinion, as those are the encounters we hear about.

Utah CCW
Handgun 101
NRA Basic Pistol
Private Instruction

Classes are held statewide

www.whitesofeyes.com
(209) 330-3900
Old 06-12-2019, 8:41 AM
I need a LIFE!!

CHP in LA County over reacted when I gave them my LTC with my driver's license years ago. He spent a good 10 minutes on the radio, came back and asked me all kinds of questions on why I was carrying, what my need was, etc. and still wrote me a speeding ticket.

Santa Monica Police pulled me over and after I handed over my LTC and DL he took them back to his car, called in on the radio. He then came back out, gave me my DL and LTC back and told me, "Have a good day." I still don't know why I was pulled over.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 06-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Ya ... I don't know what I'm talking about I don't fall for adolescent trolling son ... weak try at best

Sheriff Deputies do traffic stops in Mendocino County - I've been on many'a ride-alongs with 3 different Deputy friends of mine. Just small talk, lunch and bull-sheeting most of the time ... but that can change real quick at times, but mostly nothing happening.

Okay ... your turn now ... try trolling me again see if I fall for it
When your response says you don't fall for trolling, and to try you again...you've already fallen for trolling. Crazy, right?

Except he's not trolling you.

He's just saying SLO county the deputies don't *normally* perform stops for moving violations...doesn't mean they can't/won't, it's just unusual when they do.

It's exactly the same in Kern County. The KCSO deputies tend to leave the routine traffic stops to CHP and municipal police departments. I don't recall ever seeing a County Mountie running a speed trap here.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Why do we "pick & choose" which laws we follow?
Gun laws, get all OCD about the nuances of spelling, grammar, intent, hidden agenda....
Traffic laws, not so much.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
They do here, on roadways and not highways.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
LAPD probably would have been a different story.
I agree. If you look at the way, and who LAPD hires, things may have gone south.
Old 06-17-2019, 4:57 PM