Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-21-2019, 3:02 PM

Default Camera options for shooting

I've been battling with finding a hat mounted camera that can handle competition shooting and operate properly. I've tried the go pro hero which does not like gunfire. The Mic will make a warping sound with gunshots. The only one that somewhat works is the contour roam 3 which handles the noise but once in awhile won't record any sound with some videos.
Has anyone had similar troubles/solutions? Does anyone know any good hat mounted cameras that can handle competition?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 3:34 PM

Maybe a separate camera and mic setup?
Old 05-21-2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpl1979 View Post
Maybe a separate camera and mic setup?
I hadn't thought of that but I wouldn't know what to get. It sounds like more of a hassle

Old 05-21-2019, 5:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Surf youtube and when you see a video you like, ask the guy that he used.
Old 05-21-2019, 6:24 PM

I use a ReplayXD Prime X mounted with a visor mount on my cap. The camera is 3oz and looks like a flashlight. There's an app for the camera so that you can level it before you start recording. The company that originally made the camera was bought out by someone else but it looks like they're not producing anything new. It seems that some companies are still selling them, probably just to get rid of inventory.
Old 05-21-2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvicta View Post
I use a ReplayXD Prime X mounted with a visor mount on my cap. The camera is 3oz and looks like a flashlight. There's an app for the camera so that you can level it before you start recording. The company that originally made the camera was bought out by someone else but it looks like they're not producing anything new. It seems that some companies are still selling them, probably just to get rid of inventory.
Thank you, I'll just have to do some research on it. Looks like it's gonna be a good $450 with the hat clip

Old 05-21-2019, 7:24 PM

I'm in the same boat and was thinking the latest generation of gopro, but this thread has made me think twice....

Can you go into more detail about how the gopro doesn't like the gunfire? How does the field of view look? It'd be nice to have a field of view that gets close to aim-down-sights, instead of looking over the gun.
Old 05-21-2019, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.tactacam.com/products/
Old 05-21-2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard View Post
I'm in the same boat and was thinking the latest generation of gopro, but this thread has made me think twice....

Can you go into more detail about how the gopro doesn't like the gunfire? How does the field of view look? It'd be nice to have a field of view that gets close to aim-down-sights, instead of looking over the gun.
It was the go pro hero 5 seesion to be precise. The sound and FOV were great. The app allows you to view/edit videos on your phone. However, the gunfire would make the mic peak with a sort of alien warping sound.
If you want a view down the sights you can try a chest mounting option which I know go pro has but I have no clue about other cameras. I've also seen camera glasses with bad reviews, and also rail mounts for cameras

Old 05-21-2019, 8:41 PM
Calguns Addict

For my range vlogs, my primary audio source is a Zoom H1 with a RODE SmartLav+ with adapter. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Tc-Jq3p54uzYPu

You don't want to use the GoPro for your primary audio source since as you mentioned, it clips easily. Most cameras have an automatic peaking setting to lower the volume if it detects audio peaks. Higher end cameras with the ability to manually control audio will help you mitigate this.

But for this scenario, getting a cheap standalone audio recorder should work for you. If you get a Zoom H1 or other Zoom standalone record, just use the onboard mics which are pretty decent and add the wind screen (dead cat). Sync the audio in post (I use PluralEyes, but you can do this by hand as long as you use a 'clapper' for a sync reference). Adjust the input levels accordingly.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 05-21-2019, 8:43 PM

Tape over the microphone?
Old 05-21-2019, 8:55 PM

My GoPro Session works great and I run it on my hat or ear pro.

Last edited by spfabrication; 05-21-2019 at 9:09 PM..
Old 05-21-2019, 8:59 PM

Default Camera options for shooting

I use a Contour camera. Itís has a picatinny mount that I use to attach to my AR and shotgun. I also have a mount for my ear muffs and hat.
Video is good. Sound seems fine for me.

http://contour.com/

Old 05-21-2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cip View Post
I use a Contour camera. Itís has a picatinny mount that I use to attach to my AR and shotgun. I also have a mount for my ear muffs and hat.

Which contour do you use? I have the roam 3 and it seems to choose which videos to record sound.

Old 05-21-2019, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spfabrication View Post
My GoPro Session works great and I run it on my hat or ear pro.
I guess certain go pros work fine. The hero 5 session is a definite no go for gunfire.

Old 05-22-2019, 7:11 AM

I still use a GoPro Hero 3+ will a rail mount. Iím no cinematographer but the audio quality has never bothered me. I have not used a hat/helmet mount so canít be of help there.
Old 05-22-2019, 7:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
For my range vlogs, my primary audio source is a Zoom H1 with a RODE SmartLav+ with adapter. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...Tc-Jq3p54uzYPu

You don't want to use the GoPro for your primary audio source since as you mentioned, it clips easily. Most cameras have an automatic peaking setting to lower the volume if it detects audio peaks. Higher end cameras with the ability to manually control audio will help you mitigate this.

But for this scenario, getting a cheap standalone audio recorder should work for you. If you get a Zoom H1 or other Zoom standalone record, just use the onboard mics which are pretty decent and add the wind screen (dead cat). Sync the audio in post (I use PluralEyes, but you can do this by hand as long as you use a 'clapper' for a sync reference). Adjust the input levels accordingly.
Yep - I was going to suggest the Zoom also. Amazing audio quality and very flexible mic/input options.
Just remember BAMN - there is no level too low for them to stoop!
Old 05-22-2019, 8:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I use a Canon DSRL and a tripod. I hate shaky videos, tired of MTV too.

The DSLR mic will overload like most. I use a Tascam DR-70D 4 track digital portable recorder with an external AKG 460B mic, it has a pad (usually not needed) and the DR-70D has a digital limiter to prevent overloads.

Press the tone sync and line it up in post for perfect HD video and 96k 24 bit digital sound.
Old 05-22-2019, 8:42 AM
Calguns Addict

DJI has a new action camera to compete with Hero 7. Has better image stability too.
Old 05-22-2019, 9:33 AM

I know what you're saying about the warping sound, I'd like to think of it as dubstep 😆. My brother has hero7 and I take his videos as 2nd person. It gunfire still kinna sounds like dubstep.

I used to mount a Contour on my ear protection before, 1st gen Countour I believe. Gunfire sounds as it is and always took the audio. I like thier form factor better the GoPro but they are outdated already.
Old 05-22-2019, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmo View Post
I know what you're saying about the warping sound, I'd like to think of it as dubstep ��. My brother has hero7 and I take his videos as 2nd person. It gunfire still kinna sounds like dubstep.

I used to mount a Contour on my ear protection before, 1st gen Countour I believe. Gunfire sounds as it is and always took the audio. I like thier form factor better the GoPro but they are outdated already.
I don't suppose you could link a youtube video of this weird sound? I found this and it seems fine
Old 05-22-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I don't suppose you could link a youtube video of this weird sound? I found this and it seems fine
The hero 5 session is MUCH worse than this one

Old 05-22-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I know what you're saying about the warping sound, I'd like to think of it as dubstep . My brother has hero7 and I take his videos as 2nd person. It gunfire still kinna sounds like dubstep.

My contour roam 3 was one of the new ones but now they have a new 4k camera. I might try it out but so far I haven't found any examples of its ability.

Old 05-22-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Yup its right there; a slight warping, dubstep'ish sound at the beginning of the gunfire. OP, That's what you're talking about ya?

Here is my brother at Magnus Cup. A hint of dubstep at the beginning of the gunfire.
https://www.facebook.com/jon.dator/v...type=3&theater

Here's a full on dubstep; my buddy shooting Open in Area1 a few years back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1hraAsoeWI

In contrast here's my old Contour. Shooting Open. Very loud but still, no 'dubstep'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTFlN-fVKoc

I don't mind the dubstep sound of GoPro. Actually I like it, but have moved away from 1st person cam to 2nd person phone vid.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Yup its right there; a slight warping, dubstep'ish sound at the beginning of the gunfire. OP, That's what you're talking about ya?

Here is my brother at Magnus Cup. A hint of dubstep at the beginning of the gunfire.

https://www.facebook.com/jon.dator/v...type=3&theater

Here's a full on dubstep; my buddy shooting Open in Area1 a few years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1hraAsoeWI

In contrast here's my old Contour. Shooting Open. Very loud but still, no 'dubstep'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTFlN-fVKoc

I don't mind the dubstep sound of GoPro. Actually I like it, but have moved away from 1st person cam to 2nd person phone vid.
Yup that's the warp sound but the hero 5 session is much MUCH worse. I would be happy with my contour roam 3 but it's a pain when some videos don't have sound. I don't see myself getting a bunch of stuff then editing videos later. I just want something simple that will fit on a hat, record without issues, and stay simple. I'm very grateful for all the suggestions. I'm just taking a lot of time to research each one

Old 05-23-2019, 11:04 AM

Ok, now i hear the difference. I'd call it "clipping" rather than dubstep, but i know what you're talking about.

Doesn't bother me. To each their own. Good luck in your search
Old 05-24-2019, 8:30 AM
I need a LIFE!!

A 140+ db gunshot will overload most cheap electret condenser mics in the cameras. An external mic must be used. Even then, the high SPL levels may also overload the mic preamps as they are not adjustable and rely on automatic gain circuits.

That DR-70D recorder I use will take those levels and give very clean gunshot sounds. My nephew uses one in Africa as a field recorder.
Old 05-24-2019, 8:32 AM
Banned

Take some inspiration from GoPro's own videos. You don't need audio when you can just overlay actual dubstep over it. Lol.

PS. You must be good looking and fit to do this.
Old 05-24-2019, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
A 140+ db gunshot will overload most cheap electret condenser mics in the cameras. An external mic must be used. Even then, the high SPL levels may also overload the mic preamps as they are not adjustable and rely on automatic gain circuits.

That DR-70D recorder I use will take those levels and give very clean gunshot sounds. My nephew uses one in Africa as a field recorder.
You sound knowledgeable on the subject. Would i be damaging the stock microphone in the gopro (or any other action cam for that matter) by exposing it to gunfire? Any cheap ways i can attenuate the sound levels?
Old 05-24-2019, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD338 View Post
Take some inspiration from GoPro's own videos. You don't need audio when you can just overlay actual dubstep over it. Lol.

PS. You must be good looking and fit to do this.
Honestly, i was thinking about dubbing Elton John - Saturday night's alright for fighting over the video. Got my inspiration from the final gunfight scene in Kingsman 2
Old 05-25-2019, 8:21 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
You sound knowledgeable on the subject. Would i be damaging the stock microphone in the gopro (or any other action cam for that matter) by exposing it to gunfire? Any cheap ways i can attenuate the sound levels?
Damage? Probably not. Dust is worse for those mic elements. Otherwise, distance is your friend. If you can inject an external mic with a built in pad, that may work. Otherwise you are subject to the automatic gain control circuits. Those run high gain until a loud sound is present. Then they turn down for just a moment. A double tap would be a good test, the second shot may sound cleaner after the AGC circuits attenuate.

Or do what I do, use pro audio gear.
Old 05-25-2019, 9:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cip View Post

I have an old contour and love it. I thought they went out of business? Glad to see they are still around.
Old 05-25-2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Damage? Probably not. Dust is worse for those mic elements. Otherwise, distance is your friend. If you can inject an external mic with a built in pad, that may work. Otherwise you are subject to the automatic gain control circuits. Those run high gain until a loud sound is present. Then they turn down for just a moment. A double tap would be a good test, the second shot may sound cleaner after the AGC circuits attenuate.

Or do what I do, use pro audio gear.
Thanks.

Not to hijack from the OP, but I'm not inclined to purchase an external mic. I'm not an audio-phile, just don't want to break my gopro microphone. Maybe I'll try taping cotton balls over the microphone ports.
Old 05-25-2019, 3:54 PM

I used to have a mobius action cam. It was great but it died.

I now use a Firefly Q6. stick some hook & loop on a belt clip and it tucks in neatly under the brim of your hat. The sound isn't as good as the mobius, but at least it isn't the "thwip" sound.

Old 05-25-2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

Not to hijack from the OP, but I'm not inclined to purchase an external mic. I'm not an audio-phile, just don't want to break my gopro microphone. Maybe I'll try taping cotton balls over the microphone ports.
I with you. I don't want a bunch of extra stuff, just a simple camera to turn on/off, charge, and download videos onto my PC or USB drive. Plus I'm not a editing genius

Old 05-25-2019, 4:42 PM
I have 1 Gunz
CGN Contributor

Not much of a choice when it comes to the hero 5 session. The sound levels get blown out easily when itís mounted for FPV. I just got used to layering music over it.

I like the small form factor and sound isnít a priority.