Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-13-2019, 7:27 PM

Default CZ 455 Range Report

A few months ago a friend of mine told me that their club at SLOSAhttps://cclrshooters.com will be doing rimfire matches soon.
That got my attention since this can be my introduction to PRS matches.
Anyway, here's the rifle.

CZ 455 Varmint in 22lr with the Manners Stock.
Area 419 30 MOA rail
Vortex Viper 3-15x44 FFP
Harris Bipod and a MidwayUSA rear bag

I decided to shoot different ammunition and see what subsonic ammo works best for my rifle and just see what i can buy. I went through brownells catalog and ordered a bunch and had my dealer order a few others. All had 40 grain projectiles except for the Winchester m22, and unfortunately the SK Standard didn't make it in time.
*Disclosure* I don't normally shoot for groups nor do I measure them so bear with me as I'm not an expert at this.
Also these are all 5 shot groups.
It was about 72 degrees with winds blowing left to right approximately 10 mph with gusts up to 14 mph.

I zeroed the rifle last week with CCI Standard and started with Cci standard just to confirm zero; top center target. The best Four would move on to 100 yards.

Results at 50 yards:

CCI standard velocity: 1/2"
Winchester m22: 1 7/8"
Aguila SuperExtra Subsonic: 7/8"
SK Rifle Match: 3/4"
SK Long Range Match: 1/2"
Lapua Center-X: 1/4"
Wolf Match: 3/4", second group 3/8"
Eley Subsonic: 2 1/4", without flier 1"
Federal Gold Match: 3/4"

I made a mistake with the ammo and switched the Federal Gold match with the Eley. I'm calling the bottom left shot of the Eley group a flier, so corrected it would have a 1" group. I also reshot the Wolf as I was a little disappointed especially since I had to buy a whole brick and not just a few boxes at a time (Center of bottom target). Yes Federal gold match group was the same as the Wolf, so maybe someone might say I need to reshoot, I'm not that worried as I only bought one box and Wolf match is a little easier to find.

Reshoot with Wolf

We move on to 100 Yards:
I wasn't expecting the CCI standard to outperform the others but it was worth a shot. I just used a free ballistics app and adjusted my MOA and shots were a little high. To be fair, I did not adjust my elevation after the first group of the shots.

Results

CCI Standard: 2 1/2" yikes
Lapua Center-X: 1 3/4"
Wolf Match: 7/8"
SK Long Range match: 3/4"

I was slightly disappointed at performance of the Center-X at 100 yards especially at how tight the group was at 50 yards. I might have to reshoot the Center-X but I did not have the time.
Wolf match did well and will probably continue to be my choice of ammunition, until the SK Long Range Match becomes more readily available.
Next time, hopefully I can shoot the Wolf, Center-X, and SK Long Range, and try for 150 yards.
Thanks for looking!
Old 05-14-2019, 1:21 AM

Thumbs up

Old 05-14-2019, 5:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Nice looking 455.

I have a 452 and 453 American, a 455 FS and 455 Lux and they pretty much duplicate what you found with the ammo. I recently changed my 455 FS barrel to a .17HMR and the Lux to a WMR, both less than 5 minute jobs. Shot them last week and they performed very nice.

Went shooting yesterday to try out my RWS sshp that I just purchased from SGAmmo and though I didn't shoot it thru my CZ's, I used the Ruger 10/22 that I recently put a Green Mountain barrel in, the RWS performed very nicely, esp. since I paid $252 for a case of it delivered. The Lapua Center X and Midas usually perform the best, but I only shoot it for show off purposes as it's quite $$$. During the recent CCI rebate period, a case of CCI sv could be had for as little as $160 delivered, if no tax. Me and my buddies really stocked up at that price. We shoot this one heavily every day, with the others just maybe 50 rounds. The Aquila can still be had at a very decent price too, but my 10/22's don't really like the stuff. Another fairly cheap sv is the Norma and Norma Match. Most of us found the Match not much better so we don't pay the extra for it. For a while last year it could be had for around $30 a brick. For all around shooting in both my 10/22's and CZ's, I like the SK Std+ and Rifle Match. Last June Graf Brothers had their 20th anniversary sale and had the Rifle Match on sale for $38 a brick. Bought two cases and told myself to make it last. The Std+ was bought around $40, with a lot of my stash around $48. These are all delivered prices. Probably won't see these prices again as most, but not all, folks are now charging tax, as you are aware.

If you didn't know, there's lots of CZ info in the top link below. The bottom link is where some ammo deals can be found. Thanks for the post and pics.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...splay.php?f=18

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...splay.php?f=31

PS: Many comp. shooters use a high magnification scope, in the 24x to 36x. It really helps old farts like me for 50, and my favorite distance, 75 yards.

Last edited by Calamity Sue; 05-14-2019 at 6:00 AM..
Old 05-14-2019, 5:12 PM

Thanks for the input!
I definitely ordered more CCI Standard just for the best bang for buck performance. I was shooting at a 3" steel target at 100 yards and it just made me smile all afternoon. I saw that TargetsportsUSA now has the SK long range match for $89.99 a brick. I'll probably check if the $30 difference compared to Wolf will be worth it at 150-200 Yards.
As for the scope, I have a 5-25 Viper gen 2 that I use on my 17 WSM. I'm not much of a scope guy so the 5-25 was my first "real" scope and it took me a lot of getting used to. I always end up shooting at 12x, so I figured a 3-15 would work well for me.
Thanks for the links too, I'll be the FNG on rimfirecentral.
Old 05-14-2019, 6:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongski View Post
Thanks for the input!
I definitely ordered more CCI Standard just for the best bang for buck performance. I was shooting at a 3" steel target at 100 yards and it just made me smile all afternoon. I saw that TargetsportsUSA now has the SK long range match for $89.99 a brick. I'll probably check if the $30 difference compared to Wolf will be worth it at 150-200 Yards.
As for the scope, I have a 5-25 Viper gen 2 that I use on my 17 WSM. I'm not much of a scope guy so the 5-25 was my first "real" scope and it took me a lot of getting used to. I always end up shooting at 12x, so I figured a 3-15 would work well for me.
Thanks for the links too, I'll be the FNG on rimfirecentral.
+1
Old 06-17-2019, 3:01 PM

come join us
https://practiscore.com/july-nrl22-r...ifier/register
CPR instructor
EMT-P
Old 06-18-2019, 1:24 PM

Nice rig.