Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 04-21-2019, 9:12 AM

Default Base, rings. Talk to me??

Savage 10 in .308. Viper pst gen 2. This thing will be long range only.

Iím thinking 1 piece 20moa base. I like the Nightforce 6 screw rings, with the bubble level, and ADI top ring half.

Thoughts, what yíall running, and opinions?
Old 04-21-2019, 9:43 AM

I found for myself that rings and bases with integrated levels are much less useful than separate level on the scope tube.

Letís assume you squared the scope reticle to the action. Then you performed tall target test and it turned out that you scope reticle is slightly canted relative to the base level. Now you have to loose the ring screws and rotate the scope, tighten them again and repeat the test.

Itís much easier to slightly rotate a separate anti-cant level fitted on your scope tube to make sure that reticle is squared to a true vertical, than rotating the whole scope.

As for the base - Iíd go with canted picatinny base attached to your long range rifle action permanently with precision machined rings holding the scope on it.

Rings are tube diameter specific, so if you will decide to go for 34mm tube scope from 30mm - you will have only to change the rings, but not the whole mount. Or if you will want to change the cant from 20 to 30 MOA - you will have to replace the base only, and reuse the same scope/rings setup

As for me personally - I have a different platform - RPR with stock 20 MOA base, Seekins precision machines high rings and Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 with Lonestar anti-cant level on it

Last edited by jStorm; 04-21-2019 at 10:11 AM..
Old 04-21-2019, 10:46 AM

You somewhat lost me on the level part. Iím not familiar with yíall target test. So I will have to educate myself a bit more. This is my first foray into all this in a serious manner.

I do plan on separate base with rings, so as pointed out, it is easier if I change setups.

I understand a separate level works better for you, and as you said, is easier, but other than having to loosen to adjust, is there any downfall to to it being on the ring?
Old 04-21-2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopro74 View Post
You somewhat lost me on the level part. Iím not familiar with yíall target test. So I will have to educate myself a bit more. This is my first foray into all this in a serious manner.
You can take a look at this video about tall target test, it's very educational

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Wf0Cuwwi8

Quote:

I understand a separate level works better for you, and as you said, is easier, but other than having to loosen to adjust, is there any downfall to to it being on the ring?
Apart from fact that you won't be able to rotate scope for tiny angle to fix alignment, yes there is another benefit of a separate level.You can see it with non-aiming eye while aiming.

I'm aiming with right eye, but I also keep my left eye open and I can see target, reticle and a bubble at a same time. After the final adjustment I don't have to lift my head to see the level on the upper part of the ring.

My setup looks similar to this one:

Last edited by jStorm; 04-21-2019 at 2:59 PM..
Old 04-21-2019, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

Donít get rings with a integrated bubble. If you want an built in bubble, get this rail.

https://www.google.com/search?q=remi...20with%20level

For rings, I personally do not like big bulky rings. Iíve used Leupold PRW rings on both of my rifles and they work great. Solid rings that arenít way over done.
Old 04-21-2019, 6:31 PM

jStorm, hadnít considered that. I like that setup, I may look further into something like that. What about angle to target? I donít plan on always being on level ground.
Old 04-21-2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
What about angle to target? I donít plan on always being on level ground.
I donít have anything on my rifle to measure the slope angle, but there are a number of range finders with built in slope angle feature.

Or if youíre looking for a budget solution like I do - you can use the StrelokPro app (ballistics calculator) which can use your smartphone camera and accelerometer to calculate the slope angle to the target you point camera at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2019, 9:03 PM

audiopro74, I found a great video which probably contains answers all your questions about optics leveling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgTv4WBsBrA

Author talks about importance of squaring optics to the rifle vs squaring optics to the true verticale. Also about pros and cons of tube mounted levels vs gun/ring mounted levels.

Another benefit of tube mounted level is that you won't have to ever take it off or re-adjust even if you transfer the scope from one rifle to another, since the level is squared with scope's reticle, regardless of where and how you mount that scope
Old 04-25-2019, 10:04 PM

Great video. Very similar to one that I found on the hide googling around today. Essentially they all do the same thing, it just comes down to ease of setup, and ability to see it behind the gun.

Itís boggling to the mind, the amount of info out there. I canít wait to get everything together, and get out and start stretching it out. Push myself.

I think Iíve settled on a Farrell one piece 20 moa, steel base. Not sure on rings yet, but I did find some steel leaupolds that I like, however, I like the idea of a matched pair. So weíll have to see.

Thank you to everyone that has shared knowledge, and experience. I appreciate it a lot, and keep it coming. See yíall on the long course soon!!
Old 04-26-2019, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jStorm View Post

My 2 cents:

Do NOT get rings or scope bases that have gadgets thinking they will help you shoot better.

Said mostly by Storm
1. You can't see either the one on the rail or the one on top the scope cap while on the scope.

2. You are concerned about the reticle not the rail or rings.
OK my thing:\
I think the NF ring mounted level is just more than stupid.. Look at the image.. Imagine peering up slightly to adjust/check elevation... NO PROBLEM in the image.. Now put a stupid level on top that scope cap.. great.. Now the thing you use always and is the most important is obscured by something that hardly matters.

Levels are only a training aid.. if the shooter is using it more than occasionally they need to fix the rifle fit and learn NPA for whatever position they are using.

ACI is the same.. training aid you be super hard pressed to find any range that is going to give you a cosine of .98 (>10į) or lower cosine number.. The ACIs aren't even graduated much finer. Even then you need some distance for that to matter.. 500y * .98 = 490y for me that's .1mil difference or if you're a linear on target thinker 1.8" - not much in the scheme of things. So that tiny adjustment is with a bit over a 10į up/down incline... Now, if you are shooting 2x further that same 10į looks really high because it needs to be up/down the mountain 2x as much.. I'd just practice a bit looking at distance, guessing the angle and using the phone to verify. It doesn't take long, we all know what 45į is (by the way almost impossible to shoot unless on a tripod or standing), cut that in half is easy, do it again and you have the major numbers covered.

Phones, PLRF will all provide you the adjusted drop or raw angle if you want to go that route..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-04-26 at 8.23.47 AM.jpg (7.1 KB, 63 views)

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.

Last edited by diver160651; 04-26-2019 at 7:42 AM..
Old 04-26-2019, 7:31 AM
Calguns Addict

American Rifle Company M10 rings. I'm a huge fan of them. I have both the M10 rings and M10 QD-L mount.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations