Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 01-01-2016, 1:40 PM
Veteran Member

Default 1911 builders lowers and kit.

OK, I really did not want to thread jack another post so I started one of my own. I'm looking at the 1911builders 80% Steel with checked grips. I noticed they also had a full build kit available and wanted to know is it a good kit to buy? I noticed a lot buy items from Brownells so where do folks lie on 1911builders quality? Again, this will be my first ever endeavor into building a handgun. I will take it slow but want to produce a quality gun. Any input is appreciated.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel ---->http://www.youtube.com/user/2A4USA
Old 01-01-2016, 6:16 PM

Saw your post on moisin's thread..sorry I have not used or heard of any one using their kit. I say if you got some gunsmithing abilities and majority of the proper tools with a lot of patience and elbow grease why not go and get the best/better parts from a known manufacturer (like wilsons) for your build? Or if you're not so confident look into sarco parts kits for your first build then go all out on your next. Just a thought..if you do go with theirs let us know how it turns out.

* have you tried emailing them to ask who sources their kits or if they're produce in house?

Last edited by Kmai24; 01-01-2016 at 6:19 PM..
Old 01-01-2016, 7:01 PM

I have never used their parts so No opinion on that. There was another thread that said Maverick Arms had the same 1911 builder frames, WITH a .250 radius cut. Also the parts kits they have were said to be top quality.
1911Builders are a sponsor of the site, so going with the Builders is never a bad idea. But Maverick Arms might be worth a call monday morning.
http://www.maverickarms.org

Please report the news if you go with either of those kits. There appears to be little info on them. Although 1911Builders are MiM, while Maverick Arms reportedly is not.

Last edited by nagzul; 01-01-2016 at 7:07 PM..
Old 01-01-2016, 7:17 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagzul View Post
I have never used their parts so No opinion on that. There was another thread that said Maverick Arms had the same 1911 builder frames, WITH a .250 radius cut. Also the parts kits they have were said to be top quality.
1911Builders are a sponsor of the site, so going with the Builders is never a bad idea. But Maverick Arms might be worth a call monday morning.
http://www.maverickarms.org

Please report the news if you go with either of those kits. There appears to be little info on them. Although 1911Builders are MiM, while Maverick Arms reportedly is not.
Sorry I haven't replied on mine. I have not used the kit, as I want to select the parts I want. A friend of mine did order a commander kit and built one up. It worked fine.

The 1911 builders frames and ones offered by Maverick seem to be identical. Both will accept .250 radius safeties. Maverick just says that up front, and 1911 builders can be confusing because of their aluminum frames saying they need .220.

Buying a kit may be more advantageous if yu want to do less fitting. Assuming their barrels are drop in, bushings fitted, etc.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the input. When I get a chance I will call. I may go with Maverick to make things simpler. I have never built one and this will be a big step in learning gunsmithing. I have tools from my carrier (but will get new files and such) and loads of time and patience.

Old 01-03-2016, 4:10 PM

I just finished building a 1911 builders frame and slide and did purchase the parts kit but i was not happy with the quality of small parts. This was my first build and if i had done more research before i impulsed bought the entire kit i would have just purchased all Wilson parts in the beginning because that's what I ended up using in the end. With that said, the parts they offer are not in any way bad, I just wanted to build a very high end piece.

So if you want to compare those cast or MIM parts to others you would buy i would say they are good.
Old 01-13-2016, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like I'm going for the Mavrick lower w/ checkerd front/back strap. Slide & barrel and most of the rest will be Wilson. I'd rather take longer buying better quality parts so I end up with a nicer gun.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

Old 01-13-2016, 9:11 PM
Veteran Member

If I may offer a suggestion on some parts...

If you are getting frame and slide in carbon steel, try to get all the rest of the parts in carbon steel. Likewise, if frame and slide are stainless, keep everything stainless, you'll find that come refinishing time, it'll be less of a headache unless you just plan on applying polymer coatings on it.

With regards to barrels, you may find better barrels at cheaper prices than Wilson. Kart (carbon steel), KKM (stainless), Schuemann, Bar-Sto comes to mind but are just a few possibilities. I personally like KKM because they're great barrels, and easily ordered through their own website.

Brownells is a great place to find most of what you need.