Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2015, 8:32 AM

Default Awkward situation and range help

Hello all.
So right to the chase:
I live in San Francisco and don't have a car, I depend solely on public transport.

I've recently began putting together an AR.
I now realize I'm now extending my travel time on public transit from 1.5 hours to 2-3 hours if I want to shoot rifle, that's fine, I'll make it an excursion.

I initially looked at San Leandro Rifle range, they seem pretty close, and without much walking. Although I do have to buy soft tip ammo just for them, since it looks like they don't allow fmj's.

United Sportsmen Inc has their rifle/pistol range closed until further notice.

That leaves me with Richmond Rod & Gun Club. My main question is do they have a public standing rifle range? I see from their picture that the 100yard is bench, and I'm new to rifle shooting, so I don't know the etiquette to standing in a setup with benches.

Anyone have any advice or tips on ranges? I am beginning want a car more and more...or just move out of this city/state.
Old 10-17-2015, 9:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Please tell me you aren't seriously considering walking from the BART station to the Richmond Rod and Gun Club with a cased rifle? If you are save yourself some time and just walk through Hunter's Point with the rifle, the ambulance ride will be shorter.

The neighborhoods you have to go through if you take public transit are not the best. N. Richmond has a well deserved reputation, most people avoid it.

There are other options that will be better and more accessible, San Leandro you could probably get a cab, I'm not sure about pubic transit near the range. You could also go out to Dublin, and I hate recommending them due to the issues I have read about, but gun's fishing and other stuff is a better option than taking your life in your hands walking through N. Richmond.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

^^^This sounds like smart advise.
Old 10-17-2015, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5Ret View Post
Please tell me you aren't seriously considering walking from the BART station to the Richmond Rod and Gun Club with a cased rifle? If you are save yourself some time and just walk through Hunter's Point with the rifle, the ambulance ride will be shorter.

The neighborhoods you have to go through if you take public transit are not the best. N. Richmond has a well deserved reputation, most people avoid it.

There are other options that will be better and more accessible, San Leandro you could probably get a cab, I'm not sure about pubic transit near the range. You could also go out to Dublin, and I hate recommending them due to the issues I have read about, but gun's fishing and other stuff is a better option than taking your life in your hands walking through N. Richmond.
thank you for the advice. I'll scratch that off unless I get a ride.
Also, it seems that dublin gunsfishing&otherstuff you mentioned is very easy to get to. And judging from the loads of yelp reviews, they have a lot of issues. I'll go and look it over.
Thanks again.

Last edited by OnionRings; 10-17-2015 at 1:48 PM..
Old 10-17-2015, 3:40 PM
Veteran Member

I believe San Leandro allows FMJs now because of some range improvements. I'm pretty sure I saw that on their Facebook page. You might check it out.

That being said I'm not sure if they allow standing at this point or not. They really want to restrict the angles so things don't go over the berm.

Chabot might possibly be doable with a cab from the Castro Valley BART station but I have zero idea what that would run. They're very friendly to position shooting though. You can shoot alongside the bench or you can pull it entirely behind the line to get rid of it, your choice.
Old 10-19-2015, 7:08 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Closest to you in SF is coyote point ( http://www.coyotepointrpc.org/ ), you can shoot AR at 100 yards mon/wed/fri night. I'd personally break AR down to upper and lower in non tactical backpack, then maybe Caltrain with a bike to San Mateo, then bike to/from the range.
Old 10-19-2015, 7:13 PM

Btw, maybe also option to ferry to larkspur, then cab/bike/bus to bullseye San Rafael- I think they allow AR but with their Frangible ammo.
Old 10-19-2015, 8:28 PM

What part of San Francisco do you live in?

Consider this:

1. BART to Millbrae
2. Uber from BART to Coyote Point Shooting Range

Reverse to go home.

Last edited by bigfoot; 10-19-2015 at 8:31 PM..
Old 10-19-2015, 8:30 PM

Also: keep it low profile in the Uber. Theoretically they don't allow guns, but what they don't know won't hurt them.

Here's a good low pro case: Blackhawk! Sportster Modular Weapons Case
Old 10-19-2015, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

Will it be okay carrying/transporting rifle in SF using public transportation ? I mean won't you got hassle from SF Leo ?
Old 10-19-2015, 8:47 PM

There's no policy against carrying unloaded firearms in rifle sleeves or pistol cases on MUNI or BART. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-19-2015, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
There's no policy against carrying unloaded firearms in rifle sleeves or pistol cases on MUNI or BART. I wouldn't worry about it.
Just because there is no policy I wouldn't say don't worry about it. You don't have violate a law or any policy to get harassed ( or taken at gunpoint) when it comes to firearms. Personally I would not walk down pretty much any street in this so called state, much less SF with a case that even remotely looks like it might contain a firearm.

Last edited by StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca; 10-19-2015 at 9:30 PM..
Old 10-19-2015, 9:02 PM
Señor Member

Yup.
Ordinarily, I'd say "You need your own vehicle"
But in this case, I'll say "You really need to reconsider where you have decided to live"

Seriously.
A good number of people in that city would, if they could, push a button that would cause all firearms to vanish from the planet, and they won't think twice about calling the cops on anything that remotely looks like a gun case.

If you insist, plaster "Fender" and band stickers on the case and MAYBE they'll think it's a guitar and let you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 10-19-2015, 9:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Get as close as you can to wherever using public transit.
Uber or left from there.

Or

Make friends with another like minded individual who owns a car!

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 10-19-2015, 9:19 PM

Guitar case

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2015, 9:21 PM

An AR is an easy rifle to transport. Take off the upper and throw it all in a backpack.
Old 10-19-2015, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

Op, $20. Youre welcome.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-acoustic-guitar-gig-bag?cntry=us&source=3WWMWXGP&gclid=CLKbgdum0MgCFcV lfgodc4kBbw&kwid=productads-plaid^80557608267-sku^483283000000000@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^m-adid^51870555867

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2015, 9:44 PM
Veteran Member

At least take an uber! Or better yet get the zipcar. You have to apply and wait for the key card but its always there when you need it.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:15 PM

OP is trying to figure out how to have a good time, guys. Way to go ruining it by speculating he'll be harassed or shot.

Now that someone else has gotten the hand-wringing out of the way...Be smart, keep it low key, stay within the boundaries of the law, you'll be totally fine. And don't forget to enjoy yourself. Coyote Point is a great range with nice people. It's kind of like shooting through a mail slot, but it grows on you.

Eventually you'll want to make it to Chabot, which is even better. Anyway, seriously, let me know what part of town you're in--I'm out by the beach. I've got a car and can PM you next time I go.
Old 10-20-2015, 2:59 PM

actually, I've taken my 20" barreled shotgun to the range a few times on public transit. Unloaded and locked in a hardcase AND slipped into a musical instrument soft case a few times (I think the double case made it weigh 2x more). An AR would be easier as others have said since I can easily just take the upper off. Been looking at a backpack option since single strap kills the shoulders.

I'm probably going to give that Guns Fishing and Things a visit since it's just one (long) bart ride and a short 10 minute walk to get to in Dublin, and they appear to allow rifles in their indoor. They're pricey though and it looks like a 25 yard range. As for their yelp reviews, well, it seems most of the complaint is aimed towards their retail side and not much negative complaint are about their range side.

I've already sent San Leandro range an e-mail about their policy on fmj's, but if I really need to, I'll pick up some soft points to zero my AR.

As for Coyote Point, they're pm only to the public, right? Hell, if I did have a car, I'd join one of these clubs and volunteer but it's pretty hard to do so with public trans going south.

Last edited by OnionRings; 10-20-2015 at 3:01 PM..
Old 10-20-2015, 3:14 PM

Just use zipcar or get around when you want to go shooting, it will be safer and more convenient.
Old 10-20-2015, 4:32 PM

OP,

I too live in San Francisco. I too don't have a car. I too bring my AR15 and other firearms to the range to shoot on a regular basis. You have nothing to worry about.

I take BART.
I take MUNI.
I take Caltrain.
I take the bus.
I take Uber.

You'll be fine. The other people on this forum just like to worry and pretend the world is ending.

Here are the rules/laws:

1. Handguns need to be unloaded and in a locked container.

2. Long guns need to be unloaded and, if in a container made for a firearm, the container doesn't need to be locked. If the container is not made for a firearm, it needs to be locked. BUT... I lock all my cases regardless.

You are legally allowed to transport in the above fashion on BART and on the public buses.

I've been to San Leandro, USI, Richmond, and I think one other I can't remember. USI is the quickest and easiest to get to. But they are currently shut down. What I usually do is either walk or take a cab/uber to the BART station in SF. Then take BART to North Concord/Martinez. Then another Uber or cab to the range. It's not that expensive. And it's easy.

For Richmond, you need to take a cab from the BART station to the range. And it takes a lot longer.

I've literally walked RIGHT BY BART POLICE with my AR15 in a green SERT rifle case, made eye contact with them, and they haven't even blinked. That's not to say at some point a cop will stop me. But it hasn't happened yet in 3 years. And I know the law. And I know my rights.

I've started shooting out to 1,000 yards. So I go to SAC Valley now. And in that case, I rent a car.

If you want a lower profile, then yeah, just take the upper/lower apart and use a backpack. Whatever you're comfortable with.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 10-20-2015 at 4:36 PM..
Old 10-25-2015, 8:56 AM

Can also consider getaround.com or zipcar. I've seen Getaround whole day options for ~$40 or $7/hr, not bad if combining some other activities.
Old 10-25-2015, 9:06 AM

OP, Id recommend renting a car, and getting something like ZipCar. You arent paying insurance, maintenance, registration, or payments. You can afford to rent something. If you cant afford to rent something, I would reevaluate getting into shooting, as it seems to be out of your budget.

The idea of using public transportation in San Fran given the massively insane anti-gun sentiment there indicates to me you may have a disconnect with reality.

Hertz will pick you up, and return you home when you are done renting.

Rates are about $20/day

Old 10-25-2015, 9:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Car Rental - San Francisco - $12 a day. Rent a car and visit some good ranges.

http://www.kayak.com/Cheap-San-Franc...13852.cars.ksp
Old 10-25-2015, 9:55 AM

Break it down and wrap it in towel and use a tennis bag for transport. Discreet and easy.
Old 10-25-2015, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romstAR View Post
Break it down and wrap it in towel and use a tennis bag for transport. Discreet and easy.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/884...4RMaAmij8P8HAQ
Old 10-25-2015, 1:46 PM

I hope we don't see you on the news soon.
Old 10-25-2015, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romstAR View Post

This advice and the stuff about throwing it in guitar cases and backpacks is forgetting that he’ll then have to find a route out of town that doesn’t pass within 1,000 feet of a school.

I live just outside of the 1,000 foot radius of a school. If I lived any closer, it would be illegal to put my long guns in the trunk of my car without having them in a locked container first, because I have to cross a sidewalk to get there.

My advice is, never go anywhere without it being in a locked container of some kind, unless you have a CCW permit. You might get pulled over for a tail light on a street within 1,000 feet of a school, and if the officer feels inclined to refer it to the Feds . . . .
Old 10-31-2015, 5:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
OP,

I too live in San Francisco. I too don't have a car. I too bring my AR15 and other firearms to the range to shoot on a regular basis. You have nothing to worry about.

I take BART.
I take MUNI.
I take Caltrain.
I take the bus.
I take Uber.

You'll be fine. The other people on this forum just like to worry and pretend the world is ending.

Here are the rules/laws:

1. Handguns need to be unloaded and in a locked container.

2. Long guns need to be unloaded and, if in a container made for a firearm, the container doesn't need to be locked. If the container is not made for a firearm, it needs to be locked. BUT... I lock all my cases regardless.

You are legally allowed to transport in the above fashion on BART and on the public buses.

I've been to San Leandro, USI, Richmond, and I think one other I can't remember. USI is the quickest and easiest to get to. But they are currently shut down. What I usually do is either walk or take a cab/uber to the BART station in SF. Then take BART to North Concord/Martinez. Then another Uber or cab to the range. It's not that expensive. And it's easy.

For Richmond, you need to take a cab from the BART station to the range. And it takes a lot longer.

I've literally walked RIGHT BY BART POLICE with my AR15 in a green SERT rifle case, made eye contact with them, and they haven't even blinked. That's not to say at some point a cop will stop me. But it hasn't happened yet in 3 years. And I know the law. And I know my rights.

I've started shooting out to 1,000 yards. So I go to SAC Valley now. And in that case, I rent a car.

If you want a lower profile, then yeah, just take the upper/lower apart and use a backpack. Whatever you're comfortable with.
Best answer yet!
Old 10-31-2015, 9:31 PM

All this talk about public gun transport, how many bullets and magazines are you bringing? They may outweigh the whole ar. Plus there are potentially other accessories you will need.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Answer: Girlfriend with car.
Old 11-02-2015, 5:26 AM

That's why you use a small luggage lock to lock the zippers together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubscouter View Post
This advice and the stuff about throwing it in guitar cases and backpacks is forgetting that he’ll then have to find a route out of town that doesn’t pass within 1,000 feet of a school.

I live just outside of the 1,000 foot radius of a school. If I lived any closer, it would be illegal to put my long guns in the trunk of my car without having them in a locked container first, because I have to cross a sidewalk to get there.

My advice is, never go anywhere without it being in a locked container of some kind, unless you have a CCW permit. You might get pulled over for a tail light on a street within 1,000 feet of a school, and if the officer feels inclined to refer it to the Feds . . . .
Old 11-03-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnionRings View Post
That leaves me with Richmond Rod & Gun Club. My main question is do they have a public standing rifle range? I see from their picture that the 100yard is bench, and I'm new to rifle shooting, so I don't know the etiquette to standing in a setup with benches.
Besides everything else already said: RRGC only allows bench shooting on the 100y rifle range that is open to the public. The 200y rifle range is members only, and only open limited times, but they allow any positional shooting. It's not hard to become a member, but I have been told that USI is easier to get to by public transportation.
Old 11-03-2015, 1:22 PM
The Kilted One
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMW View Post
Besides everything else already said: RRGC only allows bench shooting on the 100y rifle range that is open to the public. The 200y rifle range is members only, and only open limited times, but they allow any positional shooting. It's not hard to become a member, but I have been told that USI is easier to get to by public transportation.
Close but not quite.

You can shoot prone, kneeling, sitting or standing on the 100yd line.

There are two spots (1 and 13) that are available for kneeling or prone. If you don't want to bring a shooting mat there is one available to borrow in the office.

A spotting scope can be rented for $1 so you don't have to bring one.

Also, the targets can be placed at 50 or 100yds.

Becoming a member is easy. Get to know someone who is already a member who will sponsor you. Pay the $60/initiation fee and pro-rated $50/yr membership fee (I think it's $100 total this month), next month it'll be cheaper.
Old 11-21-2015, 6:26 AM

I really dislike Richmond range. You can only put up one target on your board at a time, dead center, because they're afraid people will shoot the target hanger. And it takes forever to get a lane because all the "old timers" like to set up their guns on the bench and then just stand around for hours, talking. Instead of shooting. If you want to hang around and shoot the ****, go to a bar or something. But I've literally stood there for 2 hours waiting for a shooting lane while people just sat there in lawn chairs doing nothing.

SAC Valley is the best range in the whole area. But you need a car to get there.
Old 11-21-2015, 6:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I can't believe how that city has managed to make itself what it is.
Old 12-29-2015, 4:32 AM

Well.
Progress report, since I've been pretty busy.
Just recently gotten my AR done.

I swung by that Guns Fishing and Other Stuff in Dublin.
A relatively easy to get to indoor that allows rifles.
Closest, safest-without-getting-mugged since it's a 7 minute walk from the BART station.
It does cost a good pretty penny, but I'll see to renting a car soon to go out to a better range.

As for how I transport my stuff,
I pretty much have a hardcase that I lock up, then slip on a soft instrument case. It's kind of sad and funny, but it works. Gun unloaded, of course. I also bring a backpack to haul everything else. It's pretty heavy, but after rangetime, everything lightens up.
Been looking at one of the takedown soft cases or just find a tennis racket bag and some foam that have lockable zippers.

I do wish USI a speedy recovery on their current difficulty, but at the moment, I don't really have optics or anything on my rifle so it isn't a big rush for me to go.
Thanks to everyone for all the input and advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey_Tango View Post
I can't believe how that city has managed to make itself what it is.
I wasn't too happy with the recent candidates for the local office elections in this city. But I wasn't surprised by it either. At the very least, Mirkarimi is out, but Hennessy isn't really that much better.

Last edited by OnionRings; 12-29-2015 at 4:39 AM..
Old 12-30-2015, 5:51 PM

San Leandro allows FMJ. I shoot there frequently. In fact, I was just there on Monday with my daughter. They made improvements on the berm the middle of this year. That is when they changed the FMJ restriction.
Old 01-02-2016, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi View Post
San Leandro allows FMJ. I shoot there frequently. In fact, I was just there on Monday with my daughter. They made improvements on the berm the middle of this year. That is when they changed the FMJ restriction.
ok, thanks for the heads up. I'll check them out.