Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-21-2019, 6:57 PM

Default .223 lead free hunting bullet around 70 grains for reloading

Any luck anyone? Still lead all over but can't find a good lead free hunting projectile.
Old 07-21-2019, 7:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The Barnes TSX is available in 55 grains, 62 grains and 70 grains. The 70 grain bullet requires an 8" twist or faster, the 62 grain requires a 9" twist but the 55 grains will work in up to a 12" twist. These are all hunting bullets not varmint bullets.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 07-21-2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
The Barnes TSX is available in 55 grains, 62 grains and 70 grains. The 70 grain bullet requires an 8" twist or faster, the 62 grain requires a 9" twist but the 55 grains will work in up to a 12" twist. These are all hunting bullets not varmint bullets.
This is good info. I wasn't aware the TSX was all copper but we down South evaded this as long as possible. Thank you sir.
Old 07-21-2019, 9:42 PM
Veteran Member

I can say the 62 TSX and 55 TTSX work pretty well for game animals.
Old 07-22-2019, 2:41 PM

What are you hunting? If it's just coyotes you might want to look into the Lehigh Controlled Chaos. They have shot very well and have the suggested load data right on their website. Midway almost always has them on sale, not to mention constant free shipping over $49. A good friend, and member on here, has had dead in their tracks results with the 62 & 55gr. Still waiting to see how the 45 & 38gr. They are also very user friendly, ie. easy to find a good shooting load for.
Old 07-25-2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisley View Post
What are you hunting? If it's just coyotes you might want to look into the Lehigh Controlled Chaos. They have shot very well and have the suggested load data right on their website. Midway almost always has them on sale, not to mention constant free shipping over $49. A good friend, and member on here, has had dead in their tracks results with the 62 & 55gr. Still waiting to see how the 45 & 38gr. They are also very user friendly, ie. easy to find a good shooting load for.
This will be for hunting these tiny desert deer and the wife's gun so I went with the 70 gr GMX and will be using the Barnes data to ladder up.
Old 07-25-2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGRO View Post
This will be for hunting these tiny desert deer and the wife's gun so I went with the 70 gr GMX and will be using the Barnes data to ladder up.

You might want to look into these also.

https://makerbullets.com/proddetail.php?prod=22470HV

Do a little Google search, these Maker bullets are unbelievable. I prefer a frangible bullet like Lehigh for small stuff, but picked some of these up for the 264LBC & 458 SOCOM. Also bought some 70gr to try in the AR9.

These have three long slits in them to guarantee expansion, unlike others. Very nice to deal with, & will do custom orders from what I understand.
Old 07-25-2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
You might want to look into these also.

https://makerbullets.com/proddetail.php?prod=22470HV

Do a little Google search, these Maker bullets are unbelievable. I prefer a frangible bullet like Lehigh for small stuff, but picked some of these up for the 264LBC & 458 SOCOM. Also bought some 70gr to try in the AR9.

These have three long slits in them to guarantee expansion, unlike others. Very nice to deal with, & will do custom orders from what I understand.
Thanks for that link. I'm in hyper overdrive right now trying to catch up with these BS new laws. I have to slug a bore of a PSL, come up with loads for about 15 calibers all copper. Life got in the way and everything got delayed.

Good thing I love reloading
Old 08-02-2019, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGGRO View Post
Have not used the GMX, but the Barnes TTSX like a good jump. Barnes recommends a starting seat depth of .050 off the lands.

Currently I load the TTSX projectiles for .223 , .243, & .270. All using a seat depth of .050 off the lands, with excellent results! Push them fast!
Old 08-03-2019, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Not yet certified and as such, illegal.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/...tion/Certified