Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 07-13-2013, 3:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

New article on a SBA rag on how tough the Sheriff is, or dishonest.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 10-03-2013, 5:58 PM

The link to the Santa Barbara good cause statements is broken. Does anyone have these saved as a file they can share?
Old 10-03-2013, 6:04 PM

A female officer is looking to unseat the wretched Sheriff Bill Brown. It would do to find out her feelings about issuing CCW permits before the elections next year.

Although, it could be argued that even a baked potato would be more likely to approve permits that Bill Brown.
Old 11-17-2013, 2:16 AM

Sgt. Sandra Brown of the SBSO is going to be running against Bill Brown next year for Sheriff. I haven't contacted her regarding her stance on the 2A & LTCs but will do so very soon. I'm just glad Bill Brown will not run unopposed this next election.

Here is here Campaign Website if you wish to contact her
http://sandraforsheriff.com/
Old 01-10-2014, 8:55 AM

Hello everyone I felt that I needed a answer on the whole ccw permit in Santa Barbara county so I went ahead and sent Sandra Brown a email regarding the issue here is what I wrote

I would like to know Sandra Brown's view on permitting citizens of Santa Barbara County CCW permits? I myself am a long time member of the NRA and CAL Guns as well as many other gun organizations in the state of California. I know in the past that Sheriff Bill Brown had gotten a A plus rating from the NRA and used it to his advantage to win the election by lying to legal gun owners and the NRA. I'm not the only one in Santa Barbara county worried about this topic as I have read in many Calgun forums online. There is a increasing danger out there for the average person, people getting stabbed, mugged and or killed. We can't always rely on Law Enforcement to respond in time as they can't always be there at our sides. I myself have a family and worry about there safety on a daily bases. I do own firearms and keep them locked when not being used and have one for home defense, but what about public defense? Look at the city of Chicago they are ranked as one of the most dangerous places to live in the United States and they have just recently allowed legal and responsible gun owners to get CCW permits. There are proven facts that places were citizens are allowed to have CCW'S crime is lower, makes you kind of think why cause bad guys support gun bans to law abiding citizens. CCW permits shouldn't just be for the elite and big campaign donors, They should be for those who are responsible and legal gun owners. I live in the city of Santa Barbara on the upper west side of town I found out a few weeks ago that my neighbor has been charged with 3 counts of rape and I have known him for many years and it scares me cause I have 2 daughters of my own. Crimes are on the rise in Santa Barbara county everything from drugs to homicides. I love Santa Barbara county and have lived here for almost 30 years. This is my question and many others want to know the same as me. What is Sandra Brown's view and will she support Legal gun owners CCW permits?
Old 01-10-2014, 9:10 AM

Tag...

I'd like to know as well!
Old 01-13-2014, 12:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefranco805 View Post
Hello everyone I felt that I needed a answer on the whole ccw permit in Santa Barbara county so I went ahead and sent Sandra Brown a email regarding the issue here is what I wrote

I would like to know Sandra Brown's view on permitting citizens of Santa Barbara County CCW permits? I myself am a long time member of the NRA and CAL Guns as well as many other gun organizations in the state of California. I know in the past that Sheriff Bill Brown had gotten a A plus rating from the NRA and used it to his advantage to win the election by lying to legal gun owners and the NRA. I'm not the only one in Santa Barbara county worried about this topic as I have read in many Calgun forums online. There is a increasing danger out there for the average person, people getting stabbed, mugged and or killed. We can't always rely on Law Enforcement to respond in time as they can't always be there at our sides. I myself have a family and worry about there safety on a daily bases. I do own firearms and keep them locked when not being used and have one for home defense, but what about public defense? Look at the city of Chicago they are ranked as one of the most dangerous places to live in the United States and they have just recently allowed legal and responsible gun owners to get CCW permits. There are proven facts that places were citizens are allowed to have CCW'S crime is lower, makes you kind of think why cause bad guys support gun bans to law abiding citizens. CCW permits shouldn't just be for the elite and big campaign donors, They should be for those who are responsible and legal gun owners. I live in the city of Santa Barbara on the upper west side of town I found out a few weeks ago that my neighbor has been charged with 3 counts of rape and I have known him for many years and it scares me cause I have 2 daughters of my own. Crimes are on the rise in Santa Barbara county everything from drugs to homicides. I love Santa Barbara county and have lived here for almost 30 years. This is my question and many others want to know the same as me. What is Sandra Brown's view and will she support Legal gun owners CCW permits?
A discussion re. sheriff's candidate Sandra Brown has started in the CA Political Activism forum. Plz add your info and her reply there.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=878409

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 02-15-2014, 4:43 PM

Anyone have a PDF for SB county paperwork??
Old 02-22-2014, 1:39 PM

I live within the city limits of Goleta and I just emailed the Chief of Police what the application process is. I referenced the Peruta case in my email.....I am curious to see what happens.
Old 02-22-2014, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Dave View Post
I live within the city limits of Goleta and I just emailed the Chief of Police what the application process is. I referenced the Peruta case in my email.....I am curious to see what happens.
Please update us if you get a response, I called my local PD and the lady on the phone don't know what going on and suggested to email the question to the chief of police.

Bill: Pie Mei taught you the five-point-palm exploding heart technique?
Beatrix: Off course he did.
Bill: Why didn't you tell me?
Beatrix: I don't know, because I'm a bad person.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:28 PM

OK, I got a response to my email today. Here it is:

As many of you already know, the Ninth Circuit Court has recently held in a 2-1 decision that the "good cause" portion of the California CCW law is unconstitutional. As of this writing (2-14-14), this area of the law is unsettled and appeals are possible. Obviously, when this is totally resolved, Sheriff Brown will update our department policies and procedures to and the information attached to this email may be substantially different. To that end, I wanted to send you the information as it stands today so you are aware of the process we presently have in place. Please feel free to contact me by telephone or email if you have additional questions. --Sgt. McCammon

--- Original Message ---

Thank you for taking the time to contact our agency. Sheriff Brown takes the issuance of concealed carry (CCW) licensing very seriously. Sheriff Brown personally reviews and evaluates each CCW application. Sheriff Brown supports the 2nd amendment to the United States Constitution (Right to Keep and Bear Arms). However, there are three levels of law that come into play in this subject matter; federal, state and local law. The current federal interpretation of the second amendment pertains to firearms ownership and leaves "carry" laws up to the individual states. The State of California has three laws that prohibit generalized, concealed and/ or loaded carry of a firearm, unless one of the exemptions specified within the law is present.
* Section 26350 of the California Penal code - Makes it unlawful to openly carry an unloaded handgun on your person and/ or in your vehicle.
* Section 25400 of the California Penal code - Makes it unlawful to possess a concealed firearm on your person and/ or in your vehicle.
* Section 25850 of the California Penal code - Makes it unlawful to carry a loaded firearm on one's person or in a vehicle while in any public place, on any public street, or in any place where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm.
Unless a specific exemption is present the above noted laws are applicable. Examples of such exemptions include but are not limited to; the possession of a CCW permit or while participating in target shooting activities at an established shooting range. For a detailed list of exemptions, please refer to the California Penal code and/ or seek the advice of a competent lawyer.

----------

This brings us to the subject of the issuance of concealed carry (CCW) permits: Section 26150 through 26225 of the California Penal Code (State Law) addresses the issuance of CCW permits. Section 26150 PC indicates the county sheriff "may" issue a CCW if the applicant is of "good moral character" AND shows "good cause" exists for the issuance of the permit. I have highlighted "may", "good moral character" and "good cause" to bring your attention to them, as they are generally the limiting factors in the issuance of concealed carry permits in the State of California.

Many other states have "shall" issue laws relating to the issuance of concealed carry permits (examples: Colorado, Utah and Florida), but that is not the case in California. California law requires that CCW applicants establish they are of "good moral character" and show "good cause" exists for the issuance of a CCW license. Furthermore, California law leaves the ultimate decision of CCW issuance to each individual Sheriff ("may" issue). As result of this decision making "ability", Sheriff Brown incurs potential liability for each concealed carry license he issues.

To that end:
Sheriff Brown only issues CCW permits when the applicant is able to clearly show Sheriff Brown that they are of "good moral character" and that "good cause" is present, requiring the issuance of a concealed weapons license. In general, Sheriff Brown finds "good cause" to be present under the following circumstances:
1. Vocational need: The applicant's job, or business requires that he/ she have the ability to possess a loaded and concealed firearm, or otherwise poses a threat to society as a whole if the applicant does not have this ability. Examples of this include, but are not limited to private investigators and licensed firearms dealers.
2. The applicant is experiencing a present and credible danger to their life or the lives of their family members.
Although these are the two general circumstances in which it is likely Sheriff Brown would issue a CCW, any person wishing to do so, may submit a CCW application for Sheriff Brown's review, following the application process outlined within the attached instructions document. As required by law, the Sheriff's Office only accepts the standardized DOJ CCW application form that is attached to this email. Please carefully read and follow the instructions document included within this email, as it is important that you follow our procedures when submitting the application. Once the application is received, it and any other supporting materials you decide to submit will be provided to Sheriff Brown for his review.

I am including several resources and documents for your consideration. These include the standard DOJ CCW application and information relating to the SBSO policy and procedures relating to CCW licenses. I am also including hyperlinks to the CA DOJ website and to the NRA website, both of which contain a great deal of information relating to this subject.
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/
http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact me directly via email, or by telephone.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:45 AM

Any updates in SB County?
Old 08-26-2014, 11:59 AM

I have applied for a permit in Santa Barbara despite Sheriff Brown still holding office and the pending outcome of the Peruta case.

Although I have as clean a record as the Pope, I would expect it to be rejected for the sheriff's arbitrary and capricious position on what is a 'good cause.' I will keep the forum updated as I slowly am trundled through the 'system' that the local sheriff continues to expose us to despite his overwhelming position that only guns shall be found on his deputies, and no one else (essentially turning Santa Barbara county into a gun-free area--aside from those CCW carriers from other counties who happen to be visiting in SB county).

I have submitted the requisite paperwork, to include references (which the sheriff asked for) and had my date with the LiveScan machine on 21 Aug 2014. They are awaiting the 'all clear' from Justice and the FBI.

Dan
Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 PM

With respect to Sandra Brown running against Sheriff Bill Brown in the last election:

Despite an increase in homicides just before the election, Sheriff Bill Brown easily won reelection. Whether the Peruta decision will ultimately change the way Brown thinks is anyone's guess. Brown also wants the public to think that he would be held personally responsible if he issues a LTC and that person later has a gun infraction. (As we all know, this is patently false, but it is his written philosophy).

Dan
Old 06-22-2015, 5:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Looks like there's still nothing on the Santa Barbara Co SO's website re. CCWs:
http://www.sbsheriff.org/

Old 03-20-2016, 11:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strykeback View Post
I'm going to re apply in Santa Maria. Should be interesting with all the murders and gang crime now targeting everyone, self defense of one's self and family should be a good cause.
Quote:
Might as well go thru the process of being shot down to have the option to threaten a lawsuit if something should happen because I couldn't have a firearm. The sheriff's department laughed at me a couple years ago and said even if peruta passed it would be years of lawsuits but they'd hold onto the application indefinitely for me...
Instead of wasting your time, money and effort on a futile endeavor by applying to Santa Maria PD, why don't you do what Fjold did in Lompoc and get your city council to replace your current anti CCW CoP Ralph Martin with one who will readily issue CCWs? Fjold said he's be willing to help others do what it took him 5 years to do. The longer you wait to begin, the longer you'll be without a CCW.

Looking at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_...r_registration
I see that Lompoc is 38% Dem to 36% Repub whereas Santa Maria is 40% Dem to 33% Repub, so while Dems have a greater advantage than in Lompoc, it should still be doable.

For some ideas, go thru:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1172570

You can see how LA gunnies are organizing at the city level to do this using Facebook groups pages.

http://cityofsantamaria.org/city-gov...olice-services

RALPH MARTIN
Chief of Police

City Phone: (805) 928-3781 extension 2272
City Fax: (805) 922-0877
1111 W. Betteravia Road

Last edited by Paladin; 03-20-2016 at 5:44 PM..
Old 03-24-2016, 8:19 PM

Damn two years later and the sheriff wont obey the law.
Old 03-25-2016, 3:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: In rebel held territory. Long live the Confederacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Instead of wasting your time, money and effort on a futile endeavor by applying to Santa Maria PD, why don't you do what Fjold did in Lompoc and get your city council to replace your current anti CCW CoP Ralph Martin with one who will readily issue CCWs? Fjold said he's be willing to help others do what it took him 5 years to do. The longer you wait to begin, the longer you'll be without a CCW.

Looking at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_...r_registration
I see that Lompoc is 38% Dem to 36% Repub whereas Santa Maria is 40% Dem to 33% Repub, so while Dems have a greater advantage than in Lompoc, it should still be doable.

For some ideas, go thru:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1172570

You can see how LA gunnies are organizing at the city level to do this using Facebook groups pages.

http://cityofsantamaria.org/city-gov...olice-services

RALPH MARTIN
Chief of Police

1111 W. Betteravia Road
Or better yet just move to a CCW friendly county!
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!
Old 07-18-2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Or better yet just move to a CCW friendly STATE!
Fixed it for you...
Old 07-31-2016, 8:55 PM

Has anyone here actually talked to Sheriff Brown regarding to his opinion of CCW? Does anyone here know his opinions of gun ownership in the county?
Old 01-03-2018, 7:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy01 View Post
With respect to Sandra Brown running against Sheriff Bill Brown in the last election:

Despite an increase in homicides just before the election, Sheriff Bill Brown easily won reelection. Whether the Peruta decision will ultimately change the way Brown thinks is anyone's guess. Brown also wants the public to think that he would be held personally responsible if he issues a LTC and that person later has a gun infraction. (As we all know, this is patently false, but it is his written philosophy).

Dan
Another 4 years later and another sheriffs' election coming up.... Any contenders stepping up to challenge Sheriff Brown in Santa Barbara county?

Has anyone applied/renewed with Santa Barbara SO lately? If so, how'd it go? What was the experience like?

Has anyone applied/renewed with Santa Maria PD lately? If so, how'd it go? What was the experience like?

Last edited by Paladin; 01-03-2018 at 7:46 AM..
Old 01-09-2018, 8:40 PM

Its not obvious (likely on purpose) but on their redesigned website, the SBSO now has info for applying for CCW posted, unfortunately they likely haven't changed their non-issue stance.

https://www.sbsheriff.org/command-an...tandards-unit/
Old 01-10-2018, 1:04 PM
Calguns Addict

What I wrote in the Sonoma thread also applies to Santa Barbara folks:

Quote:
You Sonoma folk have got to tell the sheriff candidates that you were extremely vulnerable when you had to suddenly flee in your vehicles with all of your most valuable possessions. In such situations, living in temporary quarters or hotels/motels, you need a CCW so that you could defend yourselves, your family from those who would steal your property.

Last edited by Paladin; 09-25-2018 at 6:12 PM..
Old 04-20-2018, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Another 4 years later and another sheriffs' election coming up.... Any contenders stepping up to challenge Sheriff Brown in Santa Barbara county?
For another thread in another CGN forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceBV View Post
... Don't know how true your statement is, but I know quite a few deputies that are backing Holmstead, (like 3/4th's). I have a close family member that works for SBCO sheriffs dept. they want Brown gone. Been asking him about Holmstead and CCW's, but he works out of a different office. April 26th 7:00 pm, all three candidates will be at the board of supervisors meeting room in Santa Maria for questions from the public. Hope I can make it and ask directly.

Old 09-24-2018, 4:59 PM
Veteran Member

I am a current 3x CCW holder in Orange County, how is the Santa Barbara County issuance?
Old 09-25-2018, 6:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcurlksm View Post
I am a current 3x CCW holder in Orange County, how is the Santa Barbara County issuance?
This map should answer your question. If you have very strong Good Cause (e.g., police reports about and restraining orders against a stalker; carry at least thousands (preferably tens of thousands) of dollars of cash or other valuables regularly as part of your business), then I'd give it a try. If I'm reading things right, it will cost you only $113 to find out if your Good Cause is sufficient. https://santabarbaraca.permitium.com/ccw/start

Last edited by Paladin; 09-25-2018 at 6:20 PM..
Old 12-20-2018, 6:27 PM
Calguns Addict

(If you want something done right.... )

I'm pulling this over from the SLO Co thread where, for some reason, Strykeback posted it.

Quote:
Since this forum is more active than Santa Barbara county though we are neighbors...
The SB thread is dead because no one posts in it. You're not posting in it because it is dead. See the "chicken and egg" problem?

If you post this potentially good news over there, more Santa Barbara CGNers will be encouraged (vs SLO CGNers in this thread), and esp Santa Maria CGNers who will apply.

Quote:
I'm being told to apply to Santa Maria PD by officers as the new chief is very ccw friendly. I'm preparing statements now.

That sounds like great news! I just hope it is true. Santa Maria is the most populous city in Santa Barbara Co and has a population of ~110,000 out of a total for SB Co of ~425,000. IOW, if true, ~1/4th of SB Co residents now have a chance for a CCW.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria,_California
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_...ty,_California

Just looking over the PD's website briefly, I couldn't find any info re. CCWs on it on their FAQs page, Programs & Services page or Hot Topics
https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...sked-questions
https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...grams-services
https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...ces/hot-topics

ETA: I did a little searching and found:

Quote:
Records Bureau

The Records Bureau, a vital component of the Police Department, provides assistance to the public. Hours are: 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, closed Sundays and holidays. Records' personnel are the initial contact with our residents. They assist residents in obtaining information, direct them to available resources within the department and refer them to the appropriate city agencies and services. This includes providing fingerprinting services, furnishing copies of crime and traffic reports, processing permits to carry concealed weapons and conducting computer searches. In addition, Records registers sex, narcotic and arson offenders residing within the City of Santa Maria.
From: https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...pport-division CCW info is pretty much hidden (I added the bolding), with no linked CCW policy, nor state DOJ application.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-20-2018 at 7:45 PM..
Old 12-20-2018, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswenk View Post
I recently requested information on getting a CCW in Santa Barbara county, here is the reply I got. Sheriff Brown is not a friend to the 2nd Amendment and his policy is not to issue CCWs.

Mr. Swenk,
This is some information ....

To that end:
As a general rule, Sheriff Brown (and most other Sheriff's in California) only issues CCW permits under the following circumstances:
The applicant's job, or business requires that he/ she have the ability to possess a loaded and concealed firearm, or otherwise poses a threat to society as a whole if the applicant does not have this ability. Examples of this are be private investigators and licensed firearms dealers.
The applicant is in present and credible danger to their life or the lives of their family members.

If you have any questions about this, please feel free to contact me directly via email, or by telephone. - Craig
Sergeant Craig Bonner
Santa Barbara Sheriff's Department
Office of Professional Standards
(805) 681-4292
LOL! What a load of BS! It was BS back in 2010 when he wrote it and it is even more BS if they still claim that in 2018.

ETA: Looks like Brown cut out the BS about "most" CA sheriffs being as restrictive as he.

But Brown keeps in the BS about being civilly liable for issuing a CCW that results in a bad shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally Dave View Post
OK, I got a response to my email today. Here it is:

... Furthermore, California law leaves the ultimate decision of CCW issuance to each individual Sheriff ("may" issue). As result of this decision making "ability", Sheriff Brown incurs potential liability for each concealed carry license he issues.

To that end:
Sheriff Brown only issues CCW permits when the applicant is able to clearly show Sheriff Brown that they are of "good moral character" and that "good cause" is present, requiring the issuance of a concealed weapons license. In general, Sheriff Brown finds "good cause" to be present under the following circumstances:
1. Vocational need: The applicant's job, or business requires that he/ she have the ability to possess a loaded and concealed firearm, or otherwise poses a threat to society as a whole if the applicant does not have this ability. Examples of this include, but are not limited to private investigators and licensed firearms dealers.
2. The applicant is experiencing a present and credible danger to their life or the lives of their family members.

Last edited by Paladin; 12-20-2018 at 7:43 PM..
Old 12-20-2018, 7:42 PM
Calguns Addict

I just reviewed all 3 pages of posts. (Yet again, I don't even live in Santa Barbara Co. and won't be benefited by this work but do it for the cause....)

I read in another thread that the City of Lompoc's PD readily issues CCWs, that Fjold was the CGN member behind pushing them to do this (via pressure from their City Council, IIRC), yet did not see a post about it in this thread or in its OP. If it is true that Lompoc PD readily issues CCWs, that deserves mention in the OP since Lompoc is the 3rd most populous city in Santa Barbara Co (behind only the cities of Santa Maria and Santa Barbara). If both Santa Maria and Lompoc readily issue CCWs, that's 1/3rd of the entire county's population! (total co pop: 424,000)

Quote:
I'm going to re apply in Santa Maria. Should be interesting with all the murders and gang crime now targeting everyone, self defense of one's self and family should be a good cause.
Strykeback, did you apply with Santa Maria PD when you posted this 2.5 years ago? If so, how'd it turn out? If not, will you be applying now given your claim that Santa Maria PD readily issues CCWs?

Last edited by Paladin; 12-20-2018 at 8:05 PM..
Old 12-20-2018, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Lompoc PD CCW info

This is all I found on the Lompoc PD website re. CCWs.

Quote:
Concealed Weapon Policy and Application

Please note: Links provided on this page are only provided as resources of general interest. The City of Lompoc makes no endorsement of any website or resource listed and is not responsible for the accuracy of any information presented.

Application
California Firearms Laws Summary
From: https://www.cityoflompoc.com/governm...nd-application

It only has links to the standard CA DOJ app and to a 2013 state AG document (Kammie) re. state gun laws. There's no info re. the Chief's CCW policy or GC standard.

Old 12-20-2018, 8:05 PM

Quote:
I just reviewed all 3 pages of posts. (Yet again, I don't even live in Santa Barbara Co. and won't be benefited by this work but do it for the cause....)

I read in another thread that the City of Lompoc's PD readily issues CCWs, that Fjold was the CGN member behind pushing them to do this (via pressure from their City Council, IIRC), yet did not see a post about it in this thread or in its OP. If it is true that Lompoc PD readily issues CCWs, that deserves mention in the OP since Lompoc is the 3rd most populous city in Santa Barbara Co (behind only the cities of Santa Maria and Santa Barbara).

Strykeback, did you apply with Santa Maria PD when you posted this 2.5 years ago? If so, how'd it turn out? If not, will you be applying now given your claim that Santa Maria PD readily issues CCWs?
I did not apply back then as I was one street over out of city jurisdiction and would have been sheriff's department which when I called was a complete joke and even told unless I was writing out a large campaign contribution check then to wait for hell to freeze over.

Once the holiday craziness is over at work and home I'm going to the Santa Maria PD to discuss it with them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2018, 10:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm being told to apply to Santa Maria PD by officers as the new chief is very ccw friendly. I'm preparing statements now.
Who is "the new chief"? When did they take over? I thought Hansen was the old chief. His photo and info are currently on their homepage.

Quote:
PHIL HANSEN
Chief of Police

1111 W. Betteravia Road

EDUCATION & EMPLOYMENT

M. L. University of Southern California
B.S. California State University, Northridge
Chief of Police, City of Santa Maria
Police Commander, City of Santa Maria
Captain, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
Lieutenant, Sergeant & Deputy Sheriff, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department

PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS

Director Emeritus, National Tactical Officer’s Association
California Association of Tactical Officers
California Police Chief’s Association

PERSONAL

Married for 42 years with two adult children
Member of First Presbyterian Church, SLO
Scuba diver, distance swimmer, dog lover and poor golfer
From: https://www.cityofsantamaria.org/cit...olice-services

Last edited by Paladin; 12-20-2018 at 10:24 PM..
Old 12-21-2018, 6:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
This is all I found on the Lompoc PD website re. CCWs.

From: https://www.cityoflompoc.com/governm...nd-application

It only has links to the standard CA DOJ app and to a 2013 state AG document (Kammie) re. state gun laws. There's no info re. the Chief's CCW policy or GC standard.
Even though I worked with the Lompoc City officials starting in 2011 on this, once the city policy written and in effect I haven't really kept up on how it was implemented. From what I understand now, the GC requirement is pretty rigorous and very few LTCs have actually been issued by the Lompoc C.O.P.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 12-21-2018, 7:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
Even though I worked with the Lompoc City officials starting in 2011 on this, once the city policy written and in effect I haven't really kept up on how it was implemented. From what I understand now, the GC requirement is pretty rigorous and very few LTCs have actually been issued by the Lompoc C.O.P.
Well, that sucks. Seems like your efforts were wasted....

Hopefully, others can chip in re. Santa Maria PD and the news there will be better.

Old 12-23-2018, 8:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Well, that sucks. Seems like your efforts were wasted....

Hopefully, others can chip in re. Santa Maria PD and the news there will be better.
I wouldn't call it wasted, as it becomes more normal in the town, maybe the next C.O.P. will be more on our side since the policy is already in place and there already a few more people with LTCs. But, more importantly there is a city in Santa Barbara County that is no longer under Sheriff Brown's control. That is now spreading since Santa Maria is is now about to, or is issuing LTCs.

You don't win the World Series because you get grand slams every game. You lead off with singles and doubles and create your offense, one hitter at a time over the entire season.

Old 07-20-2019, 3:38 PM

Disappointing to read all this in here over the years. Unless I have $10k to throw Brown’s way, no permit is being issued..
Meanwhile the counties above and below Santa Barbara are issuing.
Curious if anyone here has tried applying for a carry permit in Santa Barbara in the last year?
Old 07-20-2019, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S45 View Post
Disappointing to read all this in here over the years. Unless I have $10k to throw Brown’s way, no permit is being issued..

Meanwhile the counties above and below Santa Barbara are issuing.

Curious if anyone here has tried applying for a carry permit in Santa Barbara in the last year?
I'm hearing it's almost worth trying again in Santa Maria, but I have not. Last conversation with the sheriff's licensing unit out of Santa Barbara told me that unless I was willing to write Brown a large campaign contribution than I shouldn't even bother. (Yeah I wish I was recording that conversation).

Old 07-21-2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
I'm hearing it's almost worth trying again in Santa Maria, but I have not. Last conversation with the sheriff's licensing unit out of Santa Barbara told me that unless I was willing to write Brown a large campaign contribution than I shouldn't even bother. (Yeah I wish I was recording that conversation).

Yeah I wish you recorded that too...
So then excuse my ignorance, but as a resident in Santa Barbara city limits, would I even be able to apply for a ccw at the Santa Maria sheriff’s office? Or would they just tell me to go to Santa Barbara sheriff’s office.
Old 07-21-2019, 7:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S45 View Post
Yeah I wish you recorded that too...
So then excuse my ignorance, but as a resident in Santa Barbara city limits, would I even be able to apply for a ccw at the Santa Maria sheriff’s office? Or would they just tell me to go to Santa Barbara sheriff’s office.
You must be a resident of the City of Santa Maria to apply there.

Old 07-21-2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
You must be a resident of the City of Santa Maria to apply there.
Ah, thanks for the clarification.