Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-14-2019, 8:12 PM

Default Savage B22 FV-First Impression/Range Report

Picked up my new Savage B22 FV on Saturday. 21" Heavy Barrel .22LR .

https://savagearms.com/content?p=fir...ummary&s=70201

Took it home, and gave it a good cleaning. Fit and finish was excellent. The stock....it's plastic, wasn't expecting much and it didn't deliver much. Ergonomics are good, not much flex but barrel is not free floated at all. Down the line I will probably be replacing it or atleast free floating it with some modification. The trigger, all I can say is wow. Not my first accutrigger, but this one feels amazing. Don't have a trigger scale but probably 1.5-2lb and smooth as silk. No creep, just a clean break.

Dressed it up with a Bushnell Rimfire 6-18x40, vortex rings, and a cheap UTG bipod.

Got to the range Sunday morning, boresighted at 25yds visually, set the scope to middle of target, loaded up some aguila blue/white box, pulled the trigger and was surprised at my POI, almost perfect. Continued and shot 4 more for a 5 round group.

Ok, I just went from 6 to midnight. I was impressed. Pretty windy out there. Steady 5mph with gusts up to maybe 10mph and shifting directions. Anyways, tried a handful of different ammo at 25yds.

Winchester American Target

Federal Auto Match

CCI Standard

Aguila Blue/White

Threw another 5 of Aguila Blue at my sighter target

Moved the target out to 50yds and ran some more

Wolf Match

Federal Automatch

Aguila Blue/White

Aguila Red/Black

CCI Standard

Rifle doesn't seem to like the CCI Standard. Was somewhat surprised. I pulled my share of shots, these were all my groups, nothing cherry picked. Overall I'm somewhat impressed with this rifle. I'de like to see what it could do after the barrel is free floated. Zero malfunctions of any kind, including any of the ammo shot. Was a great day at the range and looking forward to putting this little .22lr through it's paces.
Old 07-19-2019, 8:25 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm not surprised at your results. Savage makes some wonderful budget rimfires.

My little Mk2 FVSR w/16" bbl is lights out accurate with Aguila subsonic. It has been my "go to" 22lr ammo for some years now.

The plastic stocks suck arse, but they are serviceable until you select something with a LOP made for someone other than an Oompa Loompa. Great kid's starter sized rifle too.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-21-2019, 3:44 PM

That's some nice shooting. I am not a fan of plastic stocks: I prefer wood. It just feels nicer. You might be able to find a wood or carbon fiber stock and free float the barrel.

I have a Savage Model 10, .223 with 22" free floated barrel and the Accutrigger. I agree about the trigger; no creep, and nice break. Mine measured 2.8 lbs out of the box. The rifle is a tack driver when I do my part at 100 meters. It sports a Leupold 4.5 x14, 40mm scope.

Savage makes a really nice rifle at a good price point.
-P