Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-09-2019, 6:46 PM
General Kronstadt's Avatar
General Kronstadt General Kronstadt is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Contra Costa and Placer Counties
Posts: 345
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default Need help on 9x18 makarov loading, thoughts, recipes, advice

Hello,

Just starting to reload and putting together my set up. Before I buy materials I wanted to hear from you all about what has worked for you in terms of brass, powder, primers, bullets, and so on.

Feel free to respond with info or links or recipes and experiences.

Also, is cutting 9x19 down the best way to go? Thanks folks. I appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2019, 7:03 PM
Divernhunter Divernhunter is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Denair, Ca
Posts: 7,818
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Buy new brass at Starline Brass. Best way to go.
Do NOT try and use 9mmLuger data
__________________
A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2019, 7:16 PM
Grendel Guy Grendel Guy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 123
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divernhunter View Post
Buy new brass at Starline Brass. Best way to go.
Do NOT try and use 9mmLuger data
This and use the proper projectiles, not the 9mm parabellum ones (.355 nom. dia for the parabellum vs..363 for the Mak).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2019, 7:20 PM
General Kronstadt's Avatar
General Kronstadt General Kronstadt is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Contra Costa and Placer Counties
Posts: 345
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Thanks. All helpful info.

Where is a good place to find deals on starliner brass?

M
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2019, 7:44 PM
Bumslie's Avatar
Bumslie Bumslie is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PRK Socal
Posts: 5,214
iTrader: 51 / 100%
Default

Ive cut down 9mm brass.

Use either nickle cases or somehow mark your brass to make sure you can find the cut down ones.

I used missouri bullet company lead bullets for my mak and they work great.

Here's a decent video that may help you out should you decide to trim brass

Hope this helps



Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
NRA Life Member
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-09-2019, 7:55 PM
General Kronstadt's Avatar
General Kronstadt General Kronstadt is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Contra Costa and Placer Counties
Posts: 345
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumslie View Post
Ive cut down 9mm brass.

Use either nickle cases or somehow mark your brass to make sure you can find the cut down ones.

I used missouri bullet company lead bullets for my mak and they work great.

Here's a decent video that may help you out should you decide to trim brass

Hope this helps



Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That's great. Where's a good place to get Missouri bullets? I cant figure out their website.

Currently I have a few copper plated lead bullets from Berry's as there was a deal from a calgunner. But I'm open to anything that works.

Whats your go to plinking powder?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2019, 8:02 PM
Bumslie's Avatar
Bumslie Bumslie is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: PRK Socal
Posts: 5,214
iTrader: 51 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kronstadt View Post
That's great. Where's a good place to get Missouri bullets? I cant figure out their website.



Currently I have a few copper plated lead bullets from Berry's as there was a deal from a calgunner. But I'm open to anything that works.



Whats your go to plinking powder?
This will bring you to the mak bullets


http://missouribullet.com/results.ph...5&secondary=28


Use promo code for 5% off.

THR-Original


I'd have to find my notes but I did a big run with win 231

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
NRA Life Member
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, and common sense. Some overly sensitive "men" will be offended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I love you! (some Homo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I am a Gay muslim sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
OP you are an uninformed tool.
Go Broncos!
Go Kings Go!

Last edited by Bumslie; 07-09-2019 at 8:04 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:27 PM
hambam105 hambam105 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

https://youtu.be/_yrmgh3SToE

In 1 out of 4 visits to the local gun shows, I see brand name jacketed bullets selling for ~nickel a piece because no one wants them.

Box of five hundred cast .363 bullets sell for cheap cheap cheap.
Mail order places almost always have .363 bullets kicking around
the shop they'ed be glad to get rid of. Just have to ask.

Carry a micrometer so you can measure bullet diameter just to be sure.
Small pistol primer...Bullseye, w231, HP-38 all work fine.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2019, 11:55 PM
General Kronstadt's Avatar
General Kronstadt General Kronstadt is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Contra Costa and Placer Counties
Posts: 345
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Thanks.
Appreciate it. I'll be reloading next week or so. Excited to put everything together.

M
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:07 AM
Divernhunter Divernhunter is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Denair, Ca
Posts: 7,818
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

Buy from Starline direct. Best prices and they include shipping.
__________________
A 30cal will reach out and touch them. A 50cal will kick their butt.
NRA Life Member, NRA certified RSO & Basic Pistol Instructor, Hunter, shooter, reloader
SCI, Manteca Sportsmen Club, Coalinga Rifle Club, Escalon Sportsmans Club & NAHA Member, Madison Society member
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 AM
'ol shooter's Avatar
'ol shooter 'ol shooter is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,497
iTrader: 88 / 100%
Default

You can buy Starline in quantities of 100 or 500 from Midway. If you are good with buying 500, Starline direct is the ticket.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...mm-9mm-makarov

Starline's website is down for maintenance, call them directly to order.

800-280-6660
__________________

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-10-2019, 11:50 AM
kramynot kramynot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 168
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Been loading 9mak for a while. I cut down 9mm Luger cases using a little harbor freight chop saw and mark up the base of the case with a Dremel so I don't mix them up. For the bullet I cast my own from wheel weights using the Lee bullet mold. Any of the day powders will work. I'm currently using Accurate#5 because I have a bunch of it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-10-2019, 8:59 PM
hambam105 hambam105 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Buying 9Mak brass, new from Starline? Heck. That is cheating.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-11-2019, 12:28 PM
General Kronstadt's Avatar
General Kronstadt General Kronstadt is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Contra Costa and Placer Counties
Posts: 345
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

I've never cast before, is it a lot of work?

This is all helpful. I was gifted W231, so I'll use that up but I've heard AA 2, 5, 7; hodgen HP38; unique, and bullseye all work great too.

I have a few hundred 9x18 bass saved up, but I want to try sizing down Luger brass at some point too.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-11-2019, 12:57 PM
kramynot kramynot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 168
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

I've been casting for years and I'm still learning and improving. Lots of good info on castboolits.com. Basically you heat up the lead in your pot, pour into the mold, drop it from the mold and let it cool, then lube and you're ready to load it. If you get a good rhythm going and you have a 4 or 6 cavity mold, you can really crank out the bullets. Just like the rest of the reloading hobby, the difficulty really depends on what level of accuracy you're looking for. For me, I am really not that picky with handgun ammo, particularly for old C&R's: Mak, Tok, etc and revolvers. Since I'm only shooting around 10 yards I'll load and shoot some pretty ugly bullets that I cast. For rifles, such as my Swede Mausers, its a different story and I'm more picky. I'll toss more back into the pot and cast them again.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-12-2019, 2:41 AM
hambam105 hambam105 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,913
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Make sure your Mak brass is boxer primed. Starline brass no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-12-2019, 10:33 AM
bruce381 bruce381 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Millbrae, CA
Posts: 1,802
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

""I've heard AA 2, 5, 7; hodgen HP38; unique, and bullseye all work great too.""

if you are new to this sounds like it look up the type powder by mfg and see what if any loads they have for a mak.

AA 5 and 7 will not work well they are to slow so is unique the others are fine.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-12-2019, 12:53 PM
sudo's Avatar
sudo sudo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sunnyvale
Posts: 171
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

I agree about using a fast powder; you don't get much dwell time with straight blowback actions, especially if you're using old recoil springs. IMR Target and Bullseye work great for me. I've been trying to find a good load with Alliant Sport Pistol but I keep getting some powder blowback in my face.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-12-2019, 3:26 PM
General Kronstadt's Avatar
General Kronstadt General Kronstadt is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Contra Costa and Placer Counties
Posts: 345
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Okay, good to know.

Any thoughts or recipes re: w231?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-12-2019, 4:54 PM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 46,469
iTrader: 100 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambam105 View Post
In 1 out of 4 visits to the local gun shows, I see brand name jacketed bullets selling for ~nickel a piece because no one wants them.
I got 10 boxes of Hornady XTP's for $40 for that reason.
I am stocked with Makarov bullets for life...
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-12-2019, 5:00 PM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 46,469
iTrader: 100 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kronstadt View Post
Okay, good to know.

Any thoughts or recipes re: w231?
This is not tested data, but here is what Quickload predicts:

Code:
Cartridge          : 9 mm Makarov
Bullet             : .363, 95, Hornady HP/XTP Mak 36500
Useable Case Capaci: 8.616 grain H2O = 0.559 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 0.984 inch = 24.99 mm
Barrel Length      : 3.7 inch = 93.5 mm
Powder             : Winchester 231

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 6.254% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step    Fill. Charge   Vel.  Energy   Pmax   Pmuz  Prop.Burnt B_Time
 %       %    Grains   fps   ft.lbs    psi    psi      %        ms

-62.5   25     1.50    433      40    4189    935     56.5    1.001
-56.3   29     1.75    495      52    4901   1166     61.1    0.895
-50.0   33     2.00    555      65    5705   1416     65.5    0.813
-43.8   37     2.25    614      80    6599   1684     69.8    0.746
-37.5   42     2.50    673      95    7641   1964     73.9    0.689
-31.3   46     2.75    731     113    8848   2254     77.7    0.641
-25.0   50     3.00    788     131   10221   2549     81.2    0.598
-18.8   54     3.25    844     150   11764   2847     84.4    0.561
-12.5   58     3.50    899     171   13486   3145     87.3    0.527
-06.3   62     3.75    954     192   15395   3438     89.9    0.497
+00.0   67     4.00   1008     214   17502   3725     92.2    0.469
+06.3   71     4.25   1061     237   19820   4002     94.2    0.444  ! Near Maximum !
+12.5   75     4.50   1113     261   22363   4266     95.9    0.422  ! Near Maximum !
+18.8   79     4.75   1164     286   25148   4516     97.3    0.399  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+25.0   83     5.00   1214     311   28194   4749     98.4    0.378  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+31.3   87     5.25   1264     337   31521   4963     99.2    0.358  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:
+Ba     67     4.00   1059     237   20192   3844     97.3    0.442  ! Near Maximum !
Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:
-Ba     67     4.00    946     189   14908   3482     84.7    0.505
Code:
Cartridge          : 9 mm Makarov
Bullet             : .365,  95, LEE 365-95-1R
Useable Case Capaci: 8.388 grain H2O = 0.545 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 0.984 inch = 24.99 mm
Barrel Length      : 3.7 inch = 93.5 mm
Powder             : Winchester 231

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 2.439% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step    Fill. Charge   Vel.  Energy   Pmax   Pmuz  Prop.Burnt B_Time
 %       %    Grains   fps   ft.lbs    psi    psi      %        ms

-24.4   53     3.10    806     137   10009   2629     81.3    0.614
-22.0   55     3.20    829     145   10655   2750     82.7    0.597
-19.5   56     3.30    852     153   11331   2872     84.0    0.580
-17.1   58     3.40    874     161   12036   2993     85.3    0.565
-14.6   60     3.50    897     170   12773   3114     86.5    0.548
-12.2   61     3.60    919     178   13541   3234     87.7    0.533
-09.8   63     3.70    942     187   14342   3353     88.8    0.518
-07.3   65     3.80    964     196   15175   3471     89.9    0.503
-04.9   67     3.90    986     205   16043   3588     90.9    0.490
-02.4   68     4.00   1008     214   16946   3702     91.8    0.477
+00.0   70     4.10   1030     224   17884   3816     92.7    0.465
+02.4   72     4.20   1051     233   18860   3927     93.5    0.453
+04.9   73     4.30   1073     243   19873   4037     94.3    0.441  ! Near Maximum !
+07.3   75     4.40   1094     253   20926   4143     95.0    0.431  ! Near Maximum !
+09.8   77     4.50   1115     262   22019   4248     95.7    0.420  ! Near Maximum !
+12.2   79     4.60   1136     272   23154   4350     96.3    0.411  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:
+Ba     70     4.10   1083     247   20889   3928     97.6    0.432  ! Near Maximum !
Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:
-Ba     70     4.10    965     196   14972   3571     85.1    0.505
__________________
Randall Rausch

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 07-12-2019 at 5:07 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-12-2019, 6:58 PM
General Kronstadt's Avatar
General Kronstadt General Kronstadt is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Contra Costa and Placer Counties
Posts: 345
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
This is not tested data, but here is what Quickload predicts:

Code:
Cartridge          : 9 mm Makarov
Bullet             : .363, 95, Hornady HP/XTP Mak 36500
Useable Case Capaci: 8.616 grain H2O = 0.559 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 0.984 inch = 24.99 mm
Barrel Length      : 3.7 inch = 93.5 mm
Powder             : Winchester 231

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 6.254% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step    Fill. Charge   Vel.  Energy   Pmax   Pmuz  Prop.Burnt B_Time
 %       %    Grains   fps   ft.lbs    psi    psi      %        ms

-62.5   25     1.50    433      40    4189    935     56.5    1.001
-56.3   29     1.75    495      52    4901   1166     61.1    0.895
-50.0   33     2.00    555      65    5705   1416     65.5    0.813
-43.8   37     2.25    614      80    6599   1684     69.8    0.746
-37.5   42     2.50    673      95    7641   1964     73.9    0.689
-31.3   46     2.75    731     113    8848   2254     77.7    0.641
-25.0   50     3.00    788     131   10221   2549     81.2    0.598
-18.8   54     3.25    844     150   11764   2847     84.4    0.561
-12.5   58     3.50    899     171   13486   3145     87.3    0.527
-06.3   62     3.75    954     192   15395   3438     89.9    0.497
+00.0   67     4.00   1008     214   17502   3725     92.2    0.469
+06.3   71     4.25   1061     237   19820   4002     94.2    0.444  ! Near Maximum !
+12.5   75     4.50   1113     261   22363   4266     95.9    0.422  ! Near Maximum !
+18.8   79     4.75   1164     286   25148   4516     97.3    0.399  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+25.0   83     5.00   1214     311   28194   4749     98.4    0.378  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!
+31.3   87     5.25   1264     337   31521   4963     99.2    0.358  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:
+Ba     67     4.00   1059     237   20192   3844     97.3    0.442  ! Near Maximum !
Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:
-Ba     67     4.00    946     189   14908   3482     84.7    0.505
Code:
Cartridge          : 9 mm Makarov
Bullet             : .365,  95, LEE 365-95-1R
Useable Case Capaci: 8.388 grain H2O = 0.545 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 0.984 inch = 24.99 mm
Barrel Length      : 3.7 inch = 93.5 mm
Powder             : Winchester 231

Predicted data by increasing and decreasing the given charge,
incremented in steps of 2.439% of nominal charge.
CAUTION: Figures exceed maximum and minimum recommended loads !

Step    Fill. Charge   Vel.  Energy   Pmax   Pmuz  Prop.Burnt B_Time
 %       %    Grains   fps   ft.lbs    psi    psi      %        ms

-24.4   53     3.10    806     137   10009   2629     81.3    0.614
-22.0   55     3.20    829     145   10655   2750     82.7    0.597
-19.5   56     3.30    852     153   11331   2872     84.0    0.580
-17.1   58     3.40    874     161   12036   2993     85.3    0.565
-14.6   60     3.50    897     170   12773   3114     86.5    0.548
-12.2   61     3.60    919     178   13541   3234     87.7    0.533
-09.8   63     3.70    942     187   14342   3353     88.8    0.518
-07.3   65     3.80    964     196   15175   3471     89.9    0.503
-04.9   67     3.90    986     205   16043   3588     90.9    0.490
-02.4   68     4.00   1008     214   16946   3702     91.8    0.477
+00.0   70     4.10   1030     224   17884   3816     92.7    0.465
+02.4   72     4.20   1051     233   18860   3927     93.5    0.453
+04.9   73     4.30   1073     243   19873   4037     94.3    0.441  ! Near Maximum !
+07.3   75     4.40   1094     253   20926   4143     95.0    0.431  ! Near Maximum !
+09.8   77     4.50   1115     262   22019   4248     95.7    0.420  ! Near Maximum !
+12.2   79     4.60   1136     272   23154   4350     96.3    0.411  !DANGEROUS LOAD-DO NOT USE!

Results caused by ± 10% powder lot-to-lot burning rate variation using nominal charge
Data for burning rate increased by 10% relative to nominal value:
+Ba     70     4.10   1083     247   20889   3928     97.6    0.432  ! Near Maximum !
Data for burning rate decreased by 10% relative to nominal value:
-Ba     70     4.10    965     196   14972   3571     85.1    0.505
Whoa. I hadn't heard of quick load, this is cool. Thanks.

I've been hunting for some hornady hp bullets. That's a great deal.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-15-2019, 10:50 AM
General Kronstadt's Avatar
General Kronstadt General Kronstadt is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Contra Costa and Placer Counties
Posts: 345
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Can you use fired 9mm ultra for makarov?

I just was given a ton of brass, but its mostly 9mm police/ultra. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but he only has a makarov, so he was shooting those. Seems dangerous.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-15-2019, 11:01 AM
justMike justMike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 343
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kronstadt View Post
Can you use fired 9mm ultra for makarov?

I just was given a ton of brass, but its mostly 9mm police/ultra. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, but he only has a makarov, so he was shooting those. Seems dangerous.
The Ultra brass should be expanded somewhat now, the work is partly done, try loading a few and see how the work out. I would definitely give them a go were I in your situation. Just my opinion / take.

BTW, what is the size of the case head, .394 like the Luger/Mak, or .374 as on the .380 Auto? Either one 'should' work.

Last edited by justMike; 07-15-2019 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 AM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 46,469
iTrader: 100 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justMike View Post
what is the size of the case head, .394 like the Luger/Mak, or .374 as on the .380 Auto?
It's around 0.394" like a 9x19.
The case is straight wall instead of tapered like a 9x19.
__________________
Randall Rausch

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-15-2019, 2:37 PM
justMike justMike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 343
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It's around 0.394" like a 9x19.
The case is straight wall instead of tapered like a 9x19.
Randall, thanks. I've never seen the 9x18 Ultra in the flesh. Doubt it's straight walled from the factory, but sure would be after being shot in a Makarov.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-15-2019, 3:29 PM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 46,469
iTrader: 100 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justMike View Post
Randall, thanks. I've never seen the 9x18 Ultra in the flesh. Doubt it's straight walled from the factory, but sure would be after being shot in a Makarov.
oh, I was talking about Makarov.
I'm not familiar with Ultra.

I did find this though:



From that, the Ultra appears to be more like a 380 than a Makarov.
__________________
Randall Rausch

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-15-2019, 4:57 PM
General Kronstadt's Avatar
General Kronstadt General Kronstadt is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Contra Costa and Placer Counties
Posts: 345
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

I'll separate them out. Maybe measure a few to see. But rather would have makarov brass, of course n
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-15-2019, 5:05 PM
bruce381 bruce381 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Millbrae, CA
Posts: 1,802
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramynot View Post
I've been casting for years and I'm still learning and improving. Lots of good info on castboolits.com. Basically you heat up the lead in your pot, pour into the mold, drop it from the mold and let it cool, then lube and you're ready to load it. If you get a good rhythm going and you have a 4 or 6 cavity mold, you can really crank out the bullets. Just like the rest of the reloading hobby, the difficulty really depends on what level of accuracy you're looking for. For me, I am really not that picky with handgun ammo, particularly for old C&R's: Mak, Tok, etc and revolvers. Since I'm only shooting around 10 yards I'll load and shoot some pretty ugly bullets that I cast. For rifles, such as my Swede Mausers, its a different story and I'm more picky. I'll toss more back into the pot and cast them again.
Dude life to short to shoot winkled bullets one work "run hotter"
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-15-2019, 5:44 PM
justMike justMike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 343
iTrader: 31 / 100%
Default

So the Ultra is a .380 ACP Long Good to know. Yes, that is a straight walled case. Probably would work, but not ideal. You would need the smaller shell holder too, it is shared with the .223 Rem. Mak supplies come up in the CG Marketplace from time to time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:13 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.