Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-16-2019, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasej805 View Post
interview seemed to go well, My interviewer was Joe and he was a really cool guy. Said to look for a letter in 2-4 weeks with the decision. He was roasting me on that fact I got a curfew ticket when I was 16, thought it was funny.
That's cool. The vibe I got from them was that they really WANT to issue and they'd have to have a good reason not to.
Ventura, CA
Old 04-16-2019, 8:28 AM

Important note for RENEWAL applicants:

The application states that you must submit between 120 and 90 days from your expiration.

I called this morning, because I'm a little late (we bought and sold a house last month) and they said that the 120-90 day thing is just a guideline.

Worst case your permit will lapse and you won't be able to carry for a week or two.

They will not usually make you fully re-apply, despite that the application form says they can do that.

Thought some of you might find some comfort in this. I'll be dropping off on Friday.
Ventura, CA
Old 04-16-2019, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMoose View Post
Important note for RENEWAL applicants:

The application states that you must submit between 120 and 90 days from your expiration.

I called this morning, because I'm a little late (we bought and sold a house last month) and they said that the 120-90 day thing is just a guideline.

Worst case your permit will lapse and you won't be able to carry for a week or two.

They will not usually make you fully re-apply, despite that the application form says they can do that.

Thought some of you might find some comfort in this. I'll be dropping off on Friday.
Good to know. Mine expired in Aug of this year. This will be my first time renewing. Is there a specific form I have to fill out?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2019, 10:01 AM

Yes. Its just the standard application form that you filled out the first time
Old 04-27-2019, 7:58 PM

Angry

I was denied on my initial CCW application, and it was a shock. Still is.

I was totally honest in my application. I was totally honest in my interview. I don't claim to be a saint, but I sure as hell am not "lacking good moral character"...

The interviewer brought up a police report from a few years ago at my residence. My spouse was growing marijuana in the backyard in compliance with CA medical marijuana law. A few plants were stolen. My spouse reported it to the police. I gave the interviewer the details. He asked about my marijuana usage, and I reported truthfully that I don't smoke, and I have never smoked.

I felt so confident after the interview that I almost booked my CCW training.

I received a courtesy call a few days before I received the letter, to tell me that my application had been denied. The caller was professional. He didn't know the reason why my application had been denied. I asked questions, and he speculated that it was likely related to the marijuana, since it is still a federal crime.

I called the number on the letter and received a call back from the Sheriff's office about a week later, which I really appreciated. The Captain was very professional. I asked questions, and he also speculated that it was related to the marijuana since it is still a federal crime, and he didn't see anything else noteworthy in my packet. I asked whether I should bother applying for a CCW as long as my spouse uses or grows marijuana, and he said No.

So there it is. As best I can tell, I was denied a CCW for my spouse's marijuana use. That sucks. I guess I will reapply when the federal government removes marijuana from the list of controlled substances. Fingers crossed, soon.

And in the meantime, I'm interested to find out if anybody thinks I'm lacking good moral character for being married to somebody who uses marijuana...
Old 04-29-2019, 12:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug111 View Post
And in the meantime, I'm interested to find out if anybody thinks I'm lacking good moral character for being married to somebody who uses marijuana...
In this case our opinions of your moral character don't matter, only the Sheriffs does.

The morals clause is completely subjective and is the other big hurdle that we all face when applying for a CCW, after Good Cause. Its also a catchall for anything the Sheriff or department may simply dislike.

Sorry that this happened to you....
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 04-29-2019, 12:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Picked up my renewed license last week.

Timeline:

Drop Off App: 7 Jan

Phone Interview: 6 Feb

Letter Date: 6 March

Class: 30 March

Pickup HC: 25 April

Tha lag between class and pickup was my choice. I was out of town on business for 3 weeks.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love. -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

Old 04-29-2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Picked up my renewed license last week.

Timeline:

Drop Off App: 7 Jan

Phone Interview: 6 Feb

Letter Date: 6 March

Class: 30 March

Pickup HC: 25 April

Tha lag between class and pickup was my choice. I was out of town on business for 3 weeks.
Ill have to renew mine in a few months. Is it the same 8 hour class to qualify like the first time?

Old 04-30-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulb View Post
Ill have to renew mine in a few months. Is it the same 8 hour class to qualify like the first time?

Yes
Ventura, CA
Old 04-30-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug111 View Post
I was denied on my initial CCW application, and it was a shock. Still is.

I was totally honest in my application. I was totally honest in my interview. I don't claim to be a saint, but I sure as hell am not "lacking good moral character"...

The interviewer brought up a police report from a few years ago at my residence. My spouse was growing marijuana in the backyard in compliance with CA medical marijuana law. A few plants were stolen. My spouse reported it to the police. I gave the interviewer the details. He asked about my marijuana usage, and I reported truthfully that I don't smoke, and I have never smoked.

I felt so confident after the interview that I almost booked my CCW training.

I received a courtesy call a few days before I received the letter, to tell me that my application had been denied. The caller was professional. He didn't know the reason why my application had been denied. I asked questions, and he speculated that it was likely related to the marijuana, since it is still a federal crime.

I called the number on the letter and received a call back from the Sheriff's office about a week later, which I really appreciated. The Captain was very professional. I asked questions, and he also speculated that it was related to the marijuana since it is still a federal crime, and he didn't see anything else noteworthy in my packet. I asked whether I should bother applying for a CCW as long as my spouse uses or grows marijuana, and he said No.

So there it is. As best I can tell, I was denied a CCW for my spouse's marijuana use. That sucks. I guess I will reapply when the federal government removes marijuana from the list of controlled substances. Fingers crossed, soon.

That's a strange position to be in but the outcome is not surprising. By issuing a license to you they are endorsing your character and rolling the dice that your license won't be used to cause harm. I'm sure they have an internal standard of some sort and I'm sure it excludes practically anything associated with drugs. I imagine that isn't a variable they want to try to calculate for.
Ventura, CA
Old 04-30-2019, 2:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raulb View Post

My first class was a 16 hour course. The last 2 renewals have be about 8 hours or so. Probably depends greatly on the instructor.

Old 06-12-2019, 4:38 PM

Default YEW!

2/25/19 - Turned in app

2/27/19 - Live Scan Submitted

4/10/19 - Sheriff Called to Schedule Interview

4/15/19 - In Person Interview

6/12/19 - Approval Letter Received
Old 07-02-2019, 5:27 PM

Default First time Ventura County Renewal questions

This will be my first time renewing and I have a couple questions...

1. Is it the same process as getting it the first time? Interview and such?

2. When I first applied it was because I was thinking of driving for Uber. Since that isn't happening I'm stating the reason I want a CCW is "Self Defense". Do you think this is a good reason?? Should I add "Second Amendment" also? I'm squeaky clean.

3. Anything else I should keep in mind...other than the 120-90 day thing? I am adding a G26 to my list which brings it to 3 pistols.

Thanks in advance!
Tommy

PS - I didn't want to hijack another thread, so I'm starting this one.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:47 PM

Default Ventura/California is a scam!

I applied for a CCW in Ventura and was declined.

My investigator was a joke - recommending I be denied for arrests, but no charges, that happened over a decade ago.

It took four months from application to denial and was out the livescan and application fees.

I move out of state, and do the same background checks as California and get a CCW permit in three weeks at half the cost, plus no requirement for CCW training/live fire.

I'm sure I could've wasted more time and money to appeal it and get a permit, but that's what California wants you to do - spend more money to line people's pockets.

Good luck, Californians!
Old 07-15-2019, 9:32 AM

Bump
Old 07-15-2019, 10:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnielsen2 View Post
This will be my first time renewing and I have a couple questions...

1. Is it the same process as getting it the first time? Interview and such?

2. When I first applied it was because I was thinking of driving for Uber. Since that isn't happening I'm stating the reason I want a CCW is "Self Defense". Do you think this is a good reason?? Should I add "Second Amendment" also? I'm squeaky clean.

3. Anything else I should keep in mind...other than the 120-90 day thing? I am adding a G26 to my list which brings it to 3 pistols.

Thanks in advance!
Tommy

PS - I didn't want to hijack another thread, so I'm starting this one.
1) Same process, the interview will be by phone, not in person.

2) Don't embellish. All they require is Self Defense or Personal Protection. Anything else starts making it harder on them and you. Keep it simple, they like simple.

3) Nothing off the top of my head. Just completed mine in April. No hiccups or irregularities with the new Sherriff. He's maintained the same policy. Keep in mind they only accept applications on Mondays and Fridays at specific times. The web sight has all the info you need.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:21 AM

Thank you, sir!!
Old 07-29-2019, 6:27 PM

Hey guys, I was curious about something. It's been a few years since I've been in Ventura County as I moved out of state so don't know how things are anymore and all the various laws seem even more confusing than before.

Would it be legal for a VCSO CWP holder to bring a firearm into the Gilroy Garlic Festival? Assuming the people missed the carrier during their metal detector search. Or does the local park law take precedence: https://www.codepublishing.com/CA/Gi.../Gilroy18.html Section 18.5 paragraph (i)
Old 07-30-2019, 11:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by irx View Post
Hey guys, I was curious about something. It's been a few years since I've been in Ventura County as I moved out of state so don't know how things are anymore and all the various laws seem even more confusing than before.

Would it be legal for a VCSO CWP holder to bring a firearm into the Gilroy Garlic Festival? Assuming the people missed the carrier during their metal detector search. Or does the local park law take precedence: https://www.codepublishing.com/CA/Gi.../Gilroy18.html Section 18.5 paragraph (i)
As far as I know, VCSD requires you to abide by all local laws and ordinances regardless of where you are. I see no exemptions in there for CCW holders, so I would think it would be illegal to do so.

Old 08-03-2019, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnersm8 View Post
I applied for a CCW in Ventura and was declined.

My investigator was a joke - recommending I be denied for arrests, but no charges, that happened over a decade ago.

It took four months from application to denial and was out the livescan and application fees.

I move out of state, and do the same background checks as California and get a CCW permit in three weeks at half the cost, plus no requirement for CCW training/live fire.

I'm sure I could've wasted more time and money to appeal it and get a permit, but that's what California wants you to do - spend more money to line people's pockets.

Good luck, Californians!

After reading the application process, its a matter of public record. Your application is public record, if they issue you a license, they could be judged by the public for issuing a license to someone who has been arrested multiple times, but has had the charges dropped, hence the denied for moral character. The integrity of the department would be called into question if you used a weapon, especially if it wasnt justified.

I had heard the same applies to police officers and their personal history statements during the hiring process. If they are caught lying they are immediately dismissed from The hiring process. Same reason as above, if ever called into court to give any testimony they would immediately be identified as a known liar that the department hired and anything they say could be a lie, hurting the integrity of the department.

Stick to the out of state permits, itll all change someday.
Old 08-06-2019, 4:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by irx View Post

In retrospect this is certainly an interesting question!