Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-04-2019, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

Default Recent renewal reveals interesting factoid in Orange County CCW

On a recent renewal of my CCW, I asked the person processing my permit how many guns is the most guns that has ever been processed for a CCW in Orange County.

Her answer: She said she is not sure which one is the most, but the most she has processed herself was 21 guns.

Now which one of you gun nuts puts 21 pistols on a CCW Permit.

Just thinking about the process of qualifying all those guns gives me a headache. Seriously?

Is it your way to stick it to the oppressors? You are retired, have a lot of time, money and guns. You have really bad OCD. What is it???

Reveal yourself and tell us what you are thinking.

Post pics too
Old 06-04-2019, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I think most of us here would do something like that if our IAs allowed it. I'm only allowed 3 but believe me I would add A LOT more if given the opportunity. One for summer at the beach, one for summer in the desert, one for driving, etc .etc.

21 handguns is a good start to most CGNers.
Old 06-04-2019, 3:45 PM

I think it's no ones business how many weapons another person feels comfortable with on their permit. I have a multitude of calibers, sizes and weights that are on my permits and I practice and carry what I feel like on a given day or event. If you can only be proficient with one weapon then maybe you should stick to just one.
Old 06-04-2019, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
I think it's no ones business how many weapons another person feels comfortable with on their permit. I have a multitude of calibers, sizes and weights that are on my permits and I practice and carry what I feel like on a given day or event. If you can only be proficient with one weapon then maybe you should stick to just one.
So, was it you? lol
Old 06-04-2019, 4:39 PM

I have 6 and I think that’s enough for me. In reality, 5 of those are ones I would actually carry. From those, 4 are in my rotation. I started with 2 on my permit but then bought and added others as I try to fit my wardrobe and weather. If 21 is what one feels they need, then so be it. Just sucks to requalify with all of them 2 years later.
Old 06-04-2019, 4:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Maybe the person wanted all their handguns on their license so they could carry whatever they wanted at any given time!
Riverside County allows 6 on the license and I have 5 on mine. I carry one of them 80% of the time and one of them less then 5% of the time. The others are backups or winter weather carry. To each their own I guess, lol.
Old 06-04-2019, 5:36 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder if the person just listed all their guns so they don't have to deal with the locked/unloaded transport laws. Because ostensibly, if they're headed to the range, they could just throw all their guns in their range bag and chuck it in the front seat with them, and say that they're CCWing all of them for convenient transport.
Old 06-04-2019, 5:42 PM

I thought was going to be about how many of you drop your guns in the toilet
Old 06-04-2019, 5:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vino68 View Post
I thought was going to be about how many of you drop your guns in the toilet
I saw that post lmao
Old 06-04-2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post
On a recent renewal of my CCW, I asked the person processing my permit how many guns is the most guns that has ever been processed for a CCW in Orange County.

Her answer: She said she is not sure which one is the most, but the most she has processed herself was 21 guns.

Just thinking about the process of qualifying all those guns gives me a headache. Seriously?

Is it your way to stick it to the oppressors? You are retired, have a lot of time, money and guns. You have really bad OCD. What is it???

Post pics too
I had about 40 at one time and could carry any of them.
Old 06-04-2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:
[...]
Having a gun on your permit basically gives you an exemption to the transportation laws, no?

At least one CCW instructor I know has many guns on his permit. Maybe he's the one with 21, I have no idea, but as an instructor, presumably he would have many opportunities to qualify at his convenience, so it might not be as huge an impediment as it might seem at first glance. But that was the rationale, even if you don't plan to carry a particular weapon, having it on your permit means you can toss it in an unlocked range bag like back in the day and live, if only in one small respect, as though you were in a free state.
Old 06-04-2019, 6:53 PM

I have 7 on my permit and really only carry two. Does it matter why I put so many on there? Because I can! How’s that for an answer? LOL
Old 06-04-2019, 9:48 PM

No, it wasn't me. I have 4 on my permit and I may add another Glock, but that will be about it.
Old 06-04-2019, 9:55 PM

Keep in mind this could have been a custodial or judicial permit.

Voting "Yes" on a California bond measure is like giving a degenerate gambler more money because he says he has the game figured out....

John 14:6
Old 06-05-2019, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
I wonder if the person just listed all their guns so they don't have to deal with the locked/unloaded transport laws. Because ostensibly, if they're headed to the range, they could just throw all their guns in their range bag and chuck it in the front seat with them, and say that they're CCWing all of them for convenient transport.
^^^ This. Four of the guns I have on my permit are for convenience when going to the range. Not for carrying.
Old 06-05-2019, 8:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

While I am not mister 21, I have many of my guns on the permit to address both weather and clothing choices, but also for transportation convenience...

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Old 06-05-2019, 8:46 AM
Veteran Member

If we are transporting firearms, shouldn't they be locked and unloaded anyway, regardless of whether they are on the CCW or not?

Now I hope nobody gets offended by that question. It's just a question. Its (still) a free country and you can do whatever you want.

For the sake of discussion: I can put all my xx number guns in the CCW for "transport convenience," (which I have considered) but the monumental hassle to put it all on the permit, have to update it periodically as I buy/sell guns, and then do it all all over again every 2 years does not seem to be so convenient any more. Like everyone else I wish we were like the free states that issue you a permit and you can use whatever pistol you want for a CCW... instead of all the crap we have to go through in Cali.

Why would I go through all that, if I lock them in the vehicle anyway, especially because I have rifles too that always need to be locked. I think about what if I get into an accident or whatever unknown... basically a line of thought that follows preparation for unknown risks, no different than the logic of why I have a CCW to begin with.

I have 7 on my permit. When I go to the range, the one thats on me is obviously not locked, but anything else is locked elsewhere in the vehicle, regardless if its on my permit or not.

Last edited by caliberetta; 06-05-2019 at 8:54 AM..
Old 06-06-2019, 5:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If we are transporting firearms, shouldn't they be locked and unloaded anyway, regardless of whether they are on the CCW or not?

Now I hope nobody gets offended by that question. It's just a question. Its (still) a free country and you can do whatever you want...
When I go to a competition or range for practice my guns are in their case and then placed in the range bag. I just don't want to deal with padlocking them. I have an SUV so even if they are in the back it is not considered a trunk so they'd have to be locked if not on permit.
Old 06-06-2019, 6:16 AM

Quote:

Post pics too
This guy

or maybe her?
Old 06-06-2019, 6:20 AM

Like others have said... I maxed out my list so that when traveling to the range I don’t have to put a lock on the case, and I can transport a magazine inside the gun. Saves room in the case with 5-6 less mags floating around.

I can also carry a larger USP 45 in a backpack or OWB while camping, whereas I wouldn’t try to carry on body.
Old 06-06-2019, 7:08 AM

I'm still waiting for my appointment, but I'd probably only put 2 or 3 at the most. To each their own though.... if the dude has that much time & money to burn, more power to him.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have 6 on mine.......I figured I'd put on every pistol (that's registered to me )that I might remotely, ever consider carrying. I have many more but none that I was willing to register just to be able to carry.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:47 AM

In Kern we can only list 10 guns, at my renewal class yesterday the instructor was asked what the average he sees, he answered 4-7 guns. I qualified with 4, although I usually carry the same two 99% of the time.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

While 21 guns on the ccw permit seems excessive to most of us - many of us are currently limited to three but could easily justify more than three.

Right now I have :
Ruger SR40c - very compact and easy to live with - it's become my primary.
CZ 75b40c - I love the CZ platform, and mags are compatible with my KelTek Sub2K
Ruger XD9 Service - too large for standard ccw but it is our MAG standard pistol, so should be on there for SHTF purposes - yes you can still get popped for "technical" violations during SHTF.

I could easily justify:
Ruger Redhawk 44 mag - I've actually had this on the permit before... not for day to day in the streets, but out in the back woods camping for predator defense and concealed so as not to "trigger" any granonla munchers who decide to make trouble by summoning rangers.

Duplicate SR40c - cuz I really love this particular gun for carry and wouldn't want to be without it if something happened to the one I have now.

Glock 19 - for mag compatiblity with Ruger PCC9 rifle (truck gun)

I'd have a hard time identifying anything else in my particular sphere that would warrant being on the permit - others needs may vary.
Old 06-17-2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
According to my instructor, that's not the case. He carries 1 gun on him, and the rest of the guns are in the trunk. It might be hard to argue in court that someone carries 5 or 6 concealed firearms when driving their car, whether they are on the permit or not. This is where concealed carry and transport enter the twighlightzone . . .
Old 06-17-2019, 2:50 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm stuck with three, and I would rather that number be higher. But it's a small local miracle I even have a CCW.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 06-19-2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnWnMe View Post
I think most of us here would do something like that if our IAs allowed it. I'm only allowed 3 but believe me I would add A LOT more if given the opportunity. One for summer at the beach, one for summer in the desert, one for driving, etc .etc.

21 handguns is a good start to most CGNers.
At the chance of sparking off an explosive debate.....one could argue that a glock would fulfill all of those needs ::: plugs ears:::
Old 06-20-2019, 8:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_sighs View Post
At the chance of sparking off an explosive debate.....one could argue that a glock would fulfill all of those needs ::: plugs ears:::

Fair enough, a Glock for the beach, a Glock for the desert, a Glock for driving ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2019, 11:07 AM

Yesterday when I was approved and picked up my card I was told I could have unlimited guns on my ccw, and that was for orange county