Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-31-2019, 12:15 PM

Default Mag adapter for dedicated .22 upper?

I'm sitting in a parking lot bored and doing this on my phone, so apparently I can't use the search function to look for other thread titles like this.

Can someone recommend an adapter to put in my lower so that I can have a bolt hold open feature while using 22 long rifle mags in my dedicated upper?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2019, 1:51 PM

Bonnie Packer mag adapter

This will allow usage of S&W 15-22 mags and will have last round bolt hold open

ARFrog
Old 05-31-2019, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFrog View Post
Bonnie Packer mag adapter

This will allow usage of S&W 15-22 mags and will have last round bolt hold open
Thanks for the tip!

I checked Redi-Mag.com and Brownell's, but neither have any in stock, so I called the manufacturer and found that they are backordered right now with a several week backlog. Oh well.
Old 06-03-2019, 1:35 PM

Better mag adapters are great with the SW Mags. SW mags are great too.

I cannot believe there is a shortage going on with these right now. Must be a big run on .22 stuff now that prices of the ammo are cheap. Here is a Boonie in stock in Great Britain if you need one bad enough,LOL
https://riflemags.co.uk/better-mag-s...r-for-ar15-22/
Old 06-03-2019, 1:43 PM

I tried the Better mag adapter a few years back but could not get it to fit in three different lowers. They wanted to refund my purchase but Id already dremeled and sanded it down to hell.

If youre willing to dedicate a lower this is the best system:

https://arcatch22.com/
Old 06-04-2019, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghideon View Post
I tried the Better mag adapter a few years back but could not get it to fit in three different lowers. They wanted to refund my purchase but Id already dremeled and sanded it down to hell.

If youre willing to dedicate a lower this is the best system:

https://arcatch22.com/
Interesting. Looks like the ARCatch22 might work for me also. Just swapping out the bolt release lever is like a one or two minute job at the most - no prob.

Here's another question for anyone with experience.......

Seems like either the Boonie Packer or the ARCatch22 is designed to work with S&W 15-22 mags. I don't have S&W 15-22 mags, I have Black Dog mags. (I'll have to check and see which Gen they are).

Also seems like the two listed mods are designed to work with the CMMG upper or at least the CMMG bolt. I don't know if they'll work with my PSA upper/bolt, but I know my Black Dog mags work with my upper.

Anyone here combined either mod with a PSA upper? How'd it work?
Old 06-04-2019, 10:15 AM

I just looked at the arcatch22 website info (magazine compatibility) and it doesn't work with any generation Black Dog mags.

Registration is the first step towards confiscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
Hunt them with Rottweilers and shotguns. Drive them underground into the sewers.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post
Interesting. Looks like the ARCatch22 might work for me also. Just swapping out the bolt release lever is like a one or two minute job at the most - no prob.

Seems like either the Boonie Packer or the ARCatch22 is designed to work with S&W 15-22 mags. I don't have S&W 15-22 mags, I have Black Dog mags. (I'll have to check and see which Gen they are).

Also seems like the two listed mods are designed to work with the CMMG upper or at least the CMMG bolt. I don't know if they'll work with my PSA upper/bolt, but I know my Black Dog mags work with my upper.

OP, I run the Boonie Packer adapter with S&W M&P 15-22 mags on a PSA AR-22 upper and I really like and recommend it! It has been a solid platform for me, runs great and the last round bolt hold open is a plus. My only other suggestion for the S&W M&P 15-22 mags would be to get a McFadden Lightnin' Grip Loader with the proper adapter:

https://www.mcfaden.com/McFadden-Mac...der-s/1828.htm

It makes loading sooooooooooooooo much easier! (Note to self: don't load so fast that you jam it. Also, if you picked up mags during Freedom week, load a couple light to keep the top of the mag from splitting while speed loading )

ARFrog

Last edited by ARFrog; 06-04-2019 at 2:58 PM..
Old 06-04-2019, 12:30 PM

also wondering if this arcatch22 will work on my older DPMS M4 22lr as sold by Midway (no longer selling it)....
Old 06-04-2019, 3:52 PM

I would use the web page to contact them. Judging by the website I would be surprised if it wasnt supported.
Old 06-05-2019, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I tried the ARCatch22 but switched to the Better-Mag. It works perfectly in my dedicated rimfire AR with S&W mags. No pin to drive if you want to switch back to centerfire, just remove the adapter.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrider View Post

According to the website, the AR CATCH22 is compatible with "Palmetto Sate Armory (PSA) .22Ir upper receivers and bolts."
Old 06-09-2019, 2:28 PM

ARcatch22.....Don't know about the bolt hold open latch , I have it and not installed it yet , and the ARcatch22 S&W mag spacer , tried it with the S&W mags and they lock in place and feed fine (unfired so far), no last round hold open with out the latch but the spacer seems to work ok...so now I can use my Black Dog mags and snap in the spacer and use my S&W 15-22 mags also..on a DPMS 22lr upper (sold by Midway) I'll try the bolt hold open later and report back.
20190609_151121.jpg

Last edited by green grunt; 06-09-2019 at 3:00 PM..