Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 03-22-2015, 3:32 PM

Grover Beach resident here. I'd love to get my training in and apply but from what ive heard its basically a waste of money. Personal Protection doesnt justify issuance. My buddies dad is a Veteran and they have deined him three times.
Old 03-23-2015, 5:32 PM

if anyone with a ccw in this county has any "tips" on being accepted id much enjoy them
Old 03-25-2015, 7:13 PM

Live in an unincorporated area where you can claim increased response times. Or tell them you like to fly your hawk around on private property. Either seems to work.
Old 03-26-2015, 4:30 PM

well **** I live in the city and don't own a hawk... how much does a hawk go for these days? altho im sure theres some law agaisnt me owning one
Old 04-05-2015, 2:07 PM

When I met with the under-sheriff, the one thing he seemed to like on my application was that I owned a rental property and handle large sums of cash when collecting first+last months rent. All the other stuff about self defense he didn't care for. The people in the permit office are really nice and I'm sure treating them fairly might go a long ways too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2015, 2:18 PM

Has anyone had a recent experience applying for a CCW in SLO County? They just switched over from the Sheriff's Office processing all applications to each police department issuing CCWs.
Old 05-29-2015, 3:06 PM

Yeah good luck with that. Will only be worse now since it's a city employee rather then someone elected by the people
Old 06-01-2015, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloGuns View Post
Has anyone had a recent experience applying for a CCW in SLO County? They just switched over from the Sheriff's Office processing all applications to each police department issuing CCWs.
This is illegal. If the sheriff issues period (and he's required to), while he may refer you to the local department he cannot require it. See Lu v. Baca.
Old 06-01-2015, 4:32 PM

If I sponsor a draw Muhammad cartoon contest, can I claim ISIS is coming?
Old 06-01-2015, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
This is illegal. If the sheriff issues period (and he's required to), while he may refer you to the local department he cannot require it. See Lu v. Baca.
It's been a while since I read it, bit I think the sheriff can require you to be rejected by city first
Old 06-01-2015, 4:36 PM

Pretty sure he was referring to the latest bill being pushed thru that makes the ccw issuer person a city employee and off the shoulders of an elected official. Thr they could bounce the lawsuit of non issuance back and forth indefinitrly.
Old 07-13-2015, 8:43 PM

Anything new for San Luis Obispo County?
All these comments are old.
Range Master folks told me getting your CCW using Self-Defense was "NO PROBLEM". Apply at the City first, "NO PROBLEM", but if turned down go to the County Sheriff and "NO PROBLEM".
A lot of "NO PROBLEMS" were being bandied about.
Any recent information, expensive and time consuming for a turn down.
Old 07-13-2015, 8:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeshan View Post
Anything new for San Luis Obispo County?
All these comments are old.

Range Master folks told me getting your CCW using Self-Defense was "NO PROBLEM"

^^^^FAIL!^^^^

. Apply at the City first, "NO PROBLEM", but if turned down go to the County Sheriff and "NO PROBLEM".
A lot of "NO PROBLEMS" were being bandied about.
Any recent information, expensive and time consuming for a turn down.
This is all you need to know about RangeMasters.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:02 PM

Hey they might be a little pricey at times but the majority of the guys there are good people. There are much worse FFL options in the area then them.
Old 07-14-2015, 2:00 PM

Default I LIKE'M TOO

Not trying to make them out to be bad guys, I do business their whenever I can. Trying to find out if getting my CCW is really possible. Anyone recently gotten a CCW from SLO City or County?
Old 07-14-2015, 2:14 PM

Sorry Mike, the comment was directed at Ford8N... I know that using the reason of wanting it for outdoor activities that are far away from reasonable police response times is a good reason with them.
Old 07-14-2015, 7:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, if you SLO folks want some ideas re. trying to increase issuance of CCWs you should ck out the posts I made on 7/11 & 7/13 starting with:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...0#post16593010

There didn't seem to be much interest expressed by Sonoma folks, but if you guys are hungry for CCWs, those posts are a good start. Just modify/adapt them to your county.

JMHO

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 07-14-2015 at 7:55 PM..
Old 11-15-2015, 8:37 AM
Veteran Member

I do payroll for a migrant labor force of about 1000. Because of how spread out the workers live (Fresno county, to Monterey county, down to Santa Barbara county) I have to deliver payroll to the foreman on remote ranches sometimes where they are working. Because we are only a payroll service and I dont know the workers personally, I think it would be a good idea to be armed. I drive around sometimes with as must as a half million in payroll during harvest and as little as $100,000 per week in my truck. These crews out number me 20 to 1 and know that im the money man. If the payroll were to ever be stolen from me, these guys would be able to cash these checks faster than we could put a stop payment on them due to the sheer number of checks.
Do you think this scenario would warrant a CCW in SLO county? And, do you think this is enough to get one here?
***FS Long Slide CZ75 SA***

Last edited by offrdmania; 11-15-2015 at 8:40 AM..
Old 11-15-2015, 8:43 AM

If you reside in SLO that should be an easy cause for sure. I know a couple guys that own markets or businesses in SLO and Paso Robles and got their ccw without even a second guess.
Old 11-15-2015, 8:44 AM

If you live in fresno or Kern county you don't even need the money issue as a reason. Just call the SLO sheriff office and let us know what thry said.
Old 12-01-2015, 5:49 AM
Veteran Member

Im in SLO county.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:25 AM

Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-02-2015, 9:39 AM
Veteran Member

I need to do research, im not even sure where to start. Is there a checklist of steps to take and how to fill everything out correctly and in what order to do things so that there isnt any unnecessary delay?
Old 12-02-2015, 9:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Exclamation Is there a checklist of steps to take...

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post

I need to do research, im not even sure where to start.

Is there a checklist of steps to take and how to fill everything out correctly and in what order to do things so that there isnt any unnecessary delay?
Sart here:

http://new.slosheriff.org/images/cms...CCW%202015.pdf
Old 12-03-2015, 8:06 PM

Quote:
I need to do research, im not even sure where to start. Is there a checklist of steps to take and how to fill everything out correctly and in what order to do things so that there isnt any unnecessary delay?
The sheriff's application is linked above. If you live in an incorporated city you are going to need to apply with that city's PD first. It's not the law, but the sheriff is going to make you apply with the PD before he will consider an application. If you live in unincorporated territory just start with the sheriff.
Old 12-13-2015, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Im out in the un-incorporated country. I printed the app and filled it out. Im just waiting on the character letters from friends and coworkers
Old 12-14-2015, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

The app has been turned in to the SLO sheriffs office. Keeping my fingers crossed. Anyone know how long they took to hear back from the sheriffs office once it has been turned in?
Old 12-20-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
The app has been turned in to the SLO sheriffs office. Keeping my fingers crossed. Anyone know how long they took to hear back from the sheriffs office once it has been turned in?
What did you say for your "cause" if you don't mind me asking? I live in Paso city but for work I go to strangers houses far out in the boonies often with no cell phone coverage. Anyone think this would justify good cause?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member

I carry large sums of payroll dollars

Sent from my iPhone while ruling the Internet, perched on my porcelain thrown
Old 01-05-2016, 8:34 PM

I'm wondering if the new SLOPD chief coming from Arizona and espousing to care about people's constitutional rights is finally going to mean CCWs for the city of SLO.
Old 01-07-2016, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Well, it looks like carrying a large sum of payroll is just cause for issuing a CCW permit. 15 days from when I turned in the app to receiving the letter. Thats quick in my book. Im off to schedule my firearms training class. I edited out some personal info since this is a public forum.

Last edited by offrdmania; 01-07-2016 at 11:22 AM..
Old 01-07-2016, 3:28 PM

Wow that was quick! Congrats on your pre approval. You are a very select few in this county.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:10 AM

Congrats! Hopefully PERUTA passes for the rest of us lowly 2a advocates

Old 01-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm wondering if the new SLOPD chief coming from Arizona and espousing to care about people's constitutional rights is finally going to mean CCWs for the city of SLO.
When did Chief Deanna Cantrell take office?
Deanna Cantrell, Police Chief 805-781-7256 DCantrell@slocity.org
From: http://www.slocity.org/government/de...ement-contacts

As you can see, their FAQs page has applying for a CCW as their top question.
http://www.slocity.org/government/de...ent/faq-police

Unfortunately, their CCW "procedure" document (embedded link on the FAQs page), does not give any information re. what qualifies as GC, or what standard they use to determine sufficient GC. Since that is decided during "Phase One" of the application process, you might want to contact the Administrative Captain who makes that decision:
Keith Storton, Administrative Police Captain 805-781-7118 kstorton@slocity.org

Also unfortunately, in "Phase two" they require a $150 psychological evaluation by a Dr. Katz in Ventura. Fortunately, that expense in time, money and effort is only AFTER they've accepted your GC.

Be sure to let us know what you find out!

ETA: Looks like the new Chief took office on Jan 4th and will be officially sworn in on Jan 19th (http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/lo...e50530245.html). IMO, I'd wait a month or, preferably, two before contacting the PD re. the chief's GC standard. ETA2: Per my post #276 below, seems like it would be best to contact her ASAP re. CCWs. One good bit of info is that she started her LE career just when AZ went from No Issue to Shall Issue, so I'm sure it was a big deal waiting to see what would happen, how the public would behave, when allowed to CC (blood in the streets fighting over parking spaces, high noon shootouts after fender-benders). Remember, back in '93, the nation had a LOT LESS experience w/Shall Issue than in 2016.

If Chief Cantrell does liberalize CCW issuance, that would be a MAJOR win for folks in SLO Co since 1/6th of the county's population lives in SLO city.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-08-2016 at 5:42 PM..
Old 01-08-2016, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
When did Chief Deanna Cantrell take office?
This week...
Old 01-08-2016, 5:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation residents of The City of SLO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post

ETA: Looks like the new Chief took office on Jan 4th and will be officially sworn in on Jan 19th (http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/lo...e50530245.html). IMO, I'd wait a month or, preferably, two before contacting the PD re. the chief's GC standard. Like it or not, CCWs are usually a low priority for CA chiefs/sheriffs. One good bit of info is that she started her LE career just when AZ went from No Issue to Shall Issue, so I'm sure it was a big deal waiting to see what would happen, how the public would behave, when allowed to CC (blood in the streets fighting over parking spaces, high noon shootouts after fender-benders). Remember, back in '93, the nation had a LOT LESS experience w/Shall Issue than in 2016.

If Chief Cantrell does liberalize CCW issuance, that would be a MAJOR win for folks in SLO Co since 1/6th of the county's population lives in SLO city.

I should have also pointed out that AZ has been Con Carry for the past 5 years, so she should really not be afraid of law-abiding citizens CCWing.

She said she is not coming into the department with a list of predetermined initiatives or priorities, but would rather spend the first weeks listening to staff, residents and city management and getting a sense of local culture.

<snip>

However, Cantrell, who said she is a scholar of the U.S. Constitution and an advocate for the protection of civil rights, said a department under her watch will treat the homeless with dignity and equality.

<snip>

As such, she said that as chief, she will work to be as transparent as possible and keep communication flowing from the agency to the public.

Can you always point fingers at officers? No. Should you be able to ask questions of your police? Absolutely. And you should expect answers, she said.

<snip>

Especially in these first weeks in a new community, she said she looks forward to meeting as many residents as possible.

Im a social butterfly. I hope people feel free to come up and strike up a conversation with me, Cantrell said. I truly like different perspectives thats what makes this all work.
(emphasis added)

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/lo...e52878190.html

Quote:
If you do talk w/her, do NOT come off as all "conservative": she was chairwoman of Mesa PD's "Diversity Team" and the article says she moved to SLO with her "spouse" and their 3 dogs.... Yeah, that's "code." And when liberals use the term "civil rights," they often do not include the 2nd A RKBA. She might care more about the Lawrence decision than the Heller and McDonald decisions....

So, SLO city residents should contact her ASAP 2nd A RKBA & CCWs. Stick to those and you should be safe. But even there, do not assume she'll be for accepting SD = GC.

Let us know what you find out.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-08-2016 at 5:45 PM..
Old 01-09-2016, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Well, it looks like carrying a large sum of payroll is just cause for issuing a CCW permit. 15 days from when I turned in the app to receiving the letter. Thats quick in my book. Im off to schedule my firearms training class. I edited out some personal info since this is a public forum.

Can you keep us updated on what it cost to do the whole process? I'm just curious thanks!

Old 01-09-2016, 6:53 AM
Veteran Member

The training and certification is going to be $200. Not sure yet what the fee will be with the sheriffs office. I'll update once I go into my interview

Sent from my iPhone while ruling the Internet, perched on my porcelain thrown
Old 01-09-2016, 8:26 AM

Why would they be sending you to ventura for a psych test? They have no one in their county?
Old 01-18-2016, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

It will be a little bit, just found out training and certification will be the first week of February. Im waiting for the more in depth training coarse. The one at Range masters is pretty basic but more expensive