Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 8:30 AM

Default Oakland = Robbery capital of America

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...206663091.html

i'm guessing a lot of you have heard about Oakland being the robbery capital of the good ol' USA.

Let's say this is the scenario: There are barely any Oakland police, you have a family, and there have been a few armed robberies around you; do you think this would be enough "good cause" for getting a CCW?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:01 AM

Moving away from Oakland seems to be the better solution.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. -B.F.
Old 05-09-2013, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary1911 View Post
Moving away from Oakland seems to be the better solution.
Seconded. Many of my friends comment that its entirely safe to go through Oakland but ive never been and i would hate to get lost anywhere in the city. It may be playing into the stereo type but it has this reputation for a reason.

As to the OP, the Sheriff's office typically hands out the CCW permits but if they are like San Mateo County ... they won't accept any reason.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 AM

maybe i should have made it clear that moving out of oakland is not an option at the moment.

so now that that's clear, do you think that the reason said above is good cause? Ive heard it is fairly hard to get a CCW permit in Alameda county.

does anyone know someone in oakland that has successfully gotten a CCW permit?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
do you think that the reason said above is good cause?
I think it is, but the people who give permits don't.

I lived in Oakland for a long time, and worked all over town (twenty years ago). There are streets there now that when you turn into them, that ominous movie music starts. The police have given up and are going through the motions. I don't blame them.
Old 05-10-2013, 4:53 PM

Stay out of east Oakland......don't go on any late night/ early morning strolls down dark ally's in downtown, and you might end up not becoming a statistic...

Old 05-10-2013, 7:09 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockwood2988 View Post
Stay out of east Oakland......don't go on any late night/ early morning strolls down dark ally's in downtown, and you will end up becoming a statistic...

Fixed it for ya!!!

Auto-Ordnance 1911-A1 .45 ACP
Česká Zbrojovka CZ-75 SP-01 Tactical 9mm
Heckler & Koch VP9 9mm
Kimber 1911 "Raptor II" .45 ACP
Remington 870 Tactical Express 12gauge
Sig Sauer P226 MK25 Navy 9mm
Springfield Armory 1911 "MC Operator" .45 ACP
Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm
Old 05-10-2013, 7:43 PM

Unfortunately, no. Not good cause "enough" at this time. You would be no different than any other citizen in the city.
Old 05-10-2013, 8:32 PM

That's pretty generic, I think it may take more than that.

I spend several days a month in Oakland and often walk while I'm there. In many neighborhoods that's not a problem and I've never had the slightest issue.

There are of course a few parts of Oakland that aren't so nice. One rainy late night last year we were driving back from an event and crossed a part of town I don't usually get to. All the streetlights were out, there was no one on the streets, and there was a wrecked car spun out and abandoned in the middle of the street. Was for sure in full pay attention mode right about then. I rarely see cops in Oakland, and certainly there were none around that night. I have made it a point to avoid that particular few blocks since then.

Ironically I just got back from Oakland last night, and here on the usually nice safe north coast the place is currently crawling with cops looking for a triple murderer. Remember, many bad guys can drive and they can go anywhere.
Old 05-10-2013, 8:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ask their Chief of Police if he thinks it's a good cause statement... but ask him quick, they're on their third one this week.
http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-...artment/nXnbn/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
A week ago Congress was asking Tide to change their pod designs so teenagers would stop eating them.

Now this week the media thinks teenagers should determine gun control laws.
Old 05-11-2013, 6:34 AM

My family has owned a business in North Oakland for 60 years. Yes 60. I'm the 3rd generation. Two months ago we were robbed by three guys at gun point. The guy who was on me had a glock with a 30 round mag stuck to my head on the floor. From what my dad says these are deff some of, if not the worst times he's seen in Oakland. It was bad in the 80's, but I really feel the crimes are much more brazen and careless now. This new young generation is the cause of it. ZERO regaurd for life or respect. All I can say after all this is thankfully everyone was ok and unharmed. Everything else is replaceable. I will say the next time around things will go differently and hopefully the fellows wearing ski masks wont leave in the condition they did last time...

Ps- I'm sure the guy with the glock had a ccw to carry it and I'm sure the magazine was a pre-ban legal mag. Yea right...we all know how that goes
Old 05-11-2013, 7:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Molto....glad you are safe. This one turned out ok.

To the OP, definitely try your hand at a CCW....

In the mean time, decide if you want to be judged by 12 or carried by six. I'm sure the criminals have no problem making that decision (obviously).

"I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry.

Our Founders Views Regarding the 2nd Amendment - Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Old 05-11-2013, 8:37 AM

Molto,

Glad your okay! It shows the sign of the times are changing from when a handshake was serious business to the complete lack of respect for everything these kids have now.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:07 PM

I guess I'll take a shot and see what happens. Been living in Oakland for 5 years now and, except for the last few months, it's generally been fine.

There've been like 4 or so armed robberies in my area the past couple months. One of the victims was held at gun point while holding her baby. Cowards.

Wouldn't want myself and my family to be put in a situation where we couldn't protect ourselves due to the lack of OPD.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockwood2988 View Post
Stay out of east Oakland......don't go on any late night/ early morning strolls down dark ally's in downtown, and you might end up not becoming a statistic...

Some of us don't have a choice. I have been on call and had to go to Oakland between 10PM and 2AM, prime crime hours. Once I pulled up on International Blvd and the criminals were scouting my truck right there with me still inside. I called the customer and said he better let me in the gate because I was not leaving my truck with over 30k of tools and meeters inside parked out there.

My own safety did come to mind also. Being a white guy in the Fruitvale at 1 AM and having a group of more than 10 guys ask what I am doing there is not fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 05-11-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltoMario View Post
My family has owned a business in North Oakland for 60 years. Yes 60. I'm the 3rd generation. Two months ago we were robbed by three guys at gun point. The guy who was on me had a glock with a 30 round mag stuck to my head on the floor. From what my dad says these are deff some of, if not the worst times he's seen in Oakland. It was bad in the 80's, but I really feel the crimes are much more brazen and careless now. This new young generation is the cause of it. ZERO regaurd for life or respect. All I can say after all this is thankfully everyone was ok and unharmed. Everything else is replaceable. I will say the next time around things will go differently and hopefully the fellows wearing ski masks wont leave in the condition they did last time...

Ps- I'm sure the guy with the glock had a ccw to carry it and I'm sure the magazine was a pre-ban legal mag. Yea right...we all know how that goes

glad to hear everyone is ok and no one got hurt.

its like i tell people who want to ban guns...... the bad guys dont go "hey, we gonna do drive by in 11 days....we better go to the gun store and dros our guns today to start our 10 day wait"
Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabe View Post
Let's say this is the scenario: There are barely any Oakland police, you have a family, and there have been a few armed robberies around you; do you think this would be enough "good cause" for getting a CCW?
If it were up to me CA should just be a shall issue state. It is the county sheriff who signs off on your CCW permit. Generally Alameda County is more like No Issue. I can't find the page where I found the statistics but IIRC in any given year there is only an average of 105 individuals in the whole (Alameda) County with a CCW permit. My guess is they're all LEOS, judges, politicians, celebrities.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I agree that these are some pretty dark times for the good people of Oakland. I had a friend tell me that on his street most all of the homes and neighbors have had some kind of theft or robbery, and this is a well known "good" area of Oakland. Violence is up, and so long as the trend like this continues, it will as well.

Bottom line is that the people of Oakland are bearing the fruit of many years of mismanagement. Yes, the downturn in the economy will be pointed to, but the reality is that the city mismanagement by the people they have been voting into leadership positions has driven the law abiding people into despair and danger. Still yet, the people of Oakland whom pay the taxes and lose their freedoms have not yet gotten angry enough and still let the big mouth types run their city into the ground.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 05-14-2013, 7:13 AM

So I of course saw that article and posted it on facebook. Got no attention.

This article a week earlier, however: Oakland, the most exciting city in America got tons of praise. I think its a bunch of crap personally.

Between the robbery, no ccw, we cant get ammo shipped here, cops are few and far between, Oakland aint that appealing these days. But dont tell that to the young tech money that works in SF while they live here and drive up prices.

I planned a longer rant, but the coffee hasnt kicked in yet. Maybe later.

Perhaps I should move to Idaho. I like it there...
Old 05-14-2013, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandScottie View Post
So I of course saw that article and posted it on facebook. Got no attention.

This article a week earlier, however: Oakland, the most exciting city in America got tons of praise. I think its a bunch of crap personally.

Between the robbery, no ccw, we cant get ammo shipped here, cops are few and far between, Oakland aint that appealing these days. But dont tell that to the young tech money that works in SF while they live here and drive up prices.

I planned a longer rant, but the coffee hasnt kicked in yet. Maybe later.

Perhaps I should move to Idaho. I like it there...
It's a bummer man. People being robbed by shotgun half a block away from each other. the guys rob one lady, drive up half a block to rob another, and probably kept going because they could. no cops are gonna respond quick enough anyway. at least give people a chance to defend themselves with a CCW should something go wrong.

cowards robbing people instead of earning their keep and little rich kids moving in from SF and driving up rent. that "exciting cities" article is even more BS because Milwaukee sucks, haha.
Old 05-14-2013, 3:17 PM

+1 what adrenaline said, judged by 12 or carried by 6, make your choice. Only person you can count on defending you and yours is you. Good luck to those that think the police will protect you.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 PM

Oakland Gun Bill Would Give Violence-Plagued City Ability To Write Own Gun Laws

Sigh, probably the last thing I should be reading before bed. All I see here is writing new complicated gun laws so law abiding citizens have a harder time protecting themselves, and have to jump through even more hoops - as if alameda county wasnt bad enough.

No where do I see why criminals are suddenly going to start following gun regulations.

It sucks. I really liked Oakland. Time to start looking elsewhere.
Old 05-22-2013, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandScottie View Post
Oakland Gun Bill Would Give Violence-Plagued City Ability To Write Own Gun Laws

Sigh, probably the last thing I should be reading before bed. All I see here is writing new complicated gun laws so law abiding citizens have a harder time protecting themselves, and have to jump through even more hoops - as if alameda county wasnt bad enough.

No where do I see why criminals are suddenly going to start following gun regulations.

It sucks. I really liked Oakland. Time to start looking elsewhere.
what a bunch of horse****! they need to fxckin understand that the criminals guns are not legit guns that were purchased through a local gun store!

Oakland is so fxcked and good luck depending on the pd if there even is any patroling.
Old 05-24-2013, 7:24 AM

680 officers employed in the City of Oakland, I just saw a news report that a city in Canada with roughly the the same size city has almost twice the amount of officers. Communities need to band together and REALLY start a neighborhood watch system. Not one of those rinky dink communities that keep their mouths shut. Also most cities in the east bay need to watch their budget and the communities need to know what EXACTLY their money is being spent on. Good luck getting a ccw in alameda county...contra costa is worse...I inquired about it a few months back.
Old 05-24-2013, 9:15 AM

Wow.

And I thought Stockton was worst. Hopefully, nature will correct itself in this part of town.

Wild west still exist.

Old 05-24-2013, 9:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltoMario View Post

This example is why I will not give up my guns, I will not comply with any registration of guns or any unjust gun laws. The criminals don't care, they have fully autos and 100 round drums, so why should I disarm my self or tell any government official what kinds of firearms I may or may not own?
Old 05-28-2013, 9:12 AM

Default Not even close

Quote:

i'm guessing a lot of you have heard about Oakland being the robbery capital of the good ol' USA.

You are better off owning a business that requires you to regularly carry a lot of cash or some other expensive commodity.
Old 05-28-2013, 9:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

According to the benevolent masters in Scaramento, there is no such thing as a good cause.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM

http://archive.oaklandlocal.com/arti...utside-oakland

interesting article.
Old 05-28-2013, 6:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I grew up in Oakland, was a paramedic in Oakland for 21 yrs and still work there today. There is no safe area there. None, period. Those people will cut your throat just the same as look at you. Avoid surface streets at all costs when passing through there. I drive fast through there to the secured area where I work. Do not stop for gas there, snacks or anything. Montclair District is ok, but I avoid that as well. Remember that thugs go to nice areas to steal nice things. So do not assume you are safe in some trendy area like Rockridge or Jack London Square. And for heavens sake do not ever get caught there or go there after dark. No matter what. You have no idea the stuff I saw in my years of service there as a medic. Its not trendy, its not a revival area, its not safe. Especially for single women!!

A freak without instruction, is headed for self destruction!!!

Buy 'em cheap, stack 'em deep!!

"Your government's the gangster, so cut the crap!!!" Chuck D.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:25 AM
CGN Contributor

Default Robbed 5/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
I grew up in Oakland, was a paramedic in Oakland for 21 yrs and still work there today. There is no safe area there. None, period. Those people will cut your throat just the same as look at you. Avoid surface streets at all costs when passing through there. I drive fast through there to the secured area where I work. Do not stop for gas there, snacks or anything. Montclair District is ok, but I avoid that as well. Remember that thugs go to nice areas to steal nice things. So do not assume you are safe in some trendy area like Rockridge or Jack London Square. And for heavens sake do not ever get caught there or go there after dark. No matter what. You have no idea the stuff I saw in my years of service there as a medic. Its not trendy, its not a revival area, its not safe. Especially for single women!!
I was robbed on 5/4.
Talking to a friend's neighbor.
Went back across the street. Two guys walk by, then turn with Glocks drawn.

Broad daylight. They ran around the corner and jumped into a waiting car.
No CCW's in Alameda County.

I grew up in that neighborhood in East Oakland and still have a house there. It's taken most of the month to get my life back in order; credit cards, ATM cards, medical cards, etc.

I hate to say it, I was happy when OPD lit up one of three suspects yesterday......

Last edited by e90bmw; 05-30-2013 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 05-30-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bmw View Post
I was robbed on 5/4.
Talking to a friend's neighbor.
Went back across the street. Two guys walk by, then turn with Glocks drawn.

Broad daylight. They ran around the corner and jumped into a waiting car.
No CCW's in Alameda County.

I grew up in that neighborhood in East Oakland and still have a house there. It's taken most of the month to get my life back in order; credit cards, ATM cards, medical cards, etc.

I hate to say it, I was happy when OPD lit up one of three suspects yesterday......
I couldn't agree more brother. Two days ago two guys fired 10 shots injuring 1 person in the leg over by the greek orthodox. They robbed him and took his wallet and cell phone. WTF is wrong with these people. Shooting someone over a wallet and cellphone. Who the f*ck even carries cash in their wallets anymore?!

I watch the news every morning now after being Robbed in Oakland in Feb of this year. I was glad to see they lit up that guy on the East Side after they ran because of having a stolen firearm. It always amazes me that the public would get pissed about this. Here three guys ran from OPD after OPD tried pulling them over for a stolen firearm and one ends up shot and the public gets pissed off...I don't think anyone with any common sense would feel upset about that.

After everything Ive been through in the last few months it irritates me more and more to see these Animals running around like its the wild F*ckin west. And yes they act just like freaking animals. Im not sure whats gonna fix it or make it stop, but something obviously needs to happen when a city has a shootings and murders nearly every night...The City of Oakland is just to poorly managed and ran. They are all crooks and the city is broke. They don't have the recourses to make changes happen.

PS-I appreciate the comments guys. We all need to stick together and try and make things right. Like I said everyone was fine and thats what matters. Everything else is replaceable

Last edited by MoltoMario; 05-30-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Old 05-30-2013, 1:32 PM

It sucks that this has been happening a lot more in broad daylight nowadays. It's starting to become more and more obvious that there aren't many cops around, or they wont respond quick enough if at all.

When you can't stand outside of your home and have a conversation with a neighbor, for fear of being robbed, thats bull****.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:55 PM

On Father's Day, two or three years ago, I was walking to MacArthur BART at 9 AM. It was a Sunday and as I turned the corner off of 40th into the BART entrance, I saw two teenagers about fifty feet away from me (where the Emery-Go-Round stop is) pull a .38 on a guy sitting on a bench to rob him for his phone. Naturally, when he looked up to see a gun in his face he lurched backwards, startling the gunman, who then jerked the trigger, firing one shot. Fortunately, he didn't hit anyone and the two of them immediately ran off. This type of brazen, daylight criminal activity is happening more and more often. I live in Piedmont and at least three robberies involving near-fatal shootings that occured a few blocks from my home immediately come to mind, at least two of which were in broad daylight. There's also been a recent string of crazy home invasions during the day in the Montclair district. Even the "safe" parts of Oakland are not as safe as they'd have us think...
Old 06-04-2013, 11:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetyme View Post
You are better off owning a business that requires you to regularly carry a lot of cash or some other expensive commodity.
its funny that if you were in a more liberally issuing county having to travel to oakland frequently would be good cause
Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
its funny that if you were in a more liberally issuing county having to travel to oakland frequently would be good cause
haha, this is both funny and sad
Old 06-05-2013, 7:32 PM

I was robbed once in front of my home in 2008. Some guys nearly sneaked in my sister's home in 2009 (my niece yelled out when she heard these guys' conversation, and they ran off). Then, a shot-fired incident took place near my home few months ago. My relatives are quite panic, and I decieded I will give these guys some 357 magnum rounds if they break in my home.

Last edited by stevenkong1976; 06-05-2013 at 7:33 PM.. Reason: Correct typo
Old 06-05-2013, 7:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This isn't news and has been hashed out here, but the local news lines the other day put out that armed robbery, burglary, and etc are all way ticking up and that city leaders all around are now clearly blaming California's Realignment law. The release of so many prisoners at once, with the typical recidivism rates inherent, are pressing communities.

Now you take a place like Oakland, already way strained to do any police work, and you have more bad on top of bad. My friend was joking with me the other day who lives in Oakland, that it used to be not long ago you called 911 and Oakland PD asks if anyone is shot. Now you call 911 and they ask, how bad are they shot?

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 06-05-2013, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPimping View Post
For AMR? When did you leave? I was there from 2007-2012

Last edited by Arkangel86; 06-05-2013 at 9:46 PM..
Old 06-19-2013, 12:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I worked for AMR from 1994 to 2000. North district.