Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 08-02-2013, 2:44 PM

Default Collapsable or Straight Stick?

I carry a 26" Peace Keeper RCB which I love. Ive been carrying it for a couple years, havent used it yet but I know its there and I feel confident with its use. But........ lately I've been thinking maybe I wanna change to a good quality cocobolo straight stick. No real reason, just a thought thats popped in my head.

Should I keep the Peace Keeper, upgrade to a 29" peace keeper or go to the straight stick? Pros? Cons? The only reason I can think to keep the collapsable is that I never use it so why change it.
Old 08-02-2013, 5:25 PM

I'm not LEO but I'm bored so I'll offer my $.02 worth. If you are used to the collapsible why change? I would think that the straight stick would just be one more thing that you would have to think about getting each time you get out of your vehicle whereas the RCB is probably already on your belt. If it's been a couple of years and you haven't had to use it I think you would probably be more likely to leave the straight stick behind after a while. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-02-2013, 5:52 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedrek View Post
I'm not LEO but I'm bored so I'll offer my $.02 worth. If you are used to the collapsible why change? I would think that the straight stick would just be one more thing that you would have to think about getting each time you get out of your vehicle whereas the RCB is probably already on your belt. If it's been a couple of years and you haven't had to use it I think you would probably be more likely to leave the straight stick behind after a while. Just my thoughts.
THEY SUCK.....
Old 08-02-2013, 5:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Most agencies I know of including me carry both a collapsable and a straight stick. Collapsable is carried on the belt and always there when something goes bad, the straight stick is kept in the car and I only pull it out on times when I think I am going to need it i.e. a bar fight etc. So I if your agency allows I would carry both
Old 08-02-2013, 6:24 PM
Calguns Addict

It has been awhile since I carried either, but when the collapsible batons came out I thought it was a good idea, right up until the first fight in the local biker bar. Turns out that it was a bit difficult to deploy in close quarters, and pretty much useless for jabs. Switched back to the 29" purple heart that night. It isn't as hard to drive with it on you as most people think. It takes some getting used to but it isn't hard. I'm 6'4" and had no problems.
Old 08-02-2013, 7:18 PM

Carried a PR-24 back in the days they were in style, went back to my blond straight stick and used that through 10 years of motors. I've been in an investigative unit since '98 so I keep an ASP in the car...although the old baton and it's bigger brother, the straight riot baton, are in the trunk with all the tactical gear.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:55 AM

I too have been contemplating the same thing as the OP however my 26 inch RCB rattles a lot when I walk or do anything. It's almost like a obnoxious clicking noise... That's the reason I'm thinking of switching to the straight stick. OP are you having any rattling noises from your baton?

I have been looking at these straight stick batons online. http://www.ninjanatewoodworking.com/...014-p-164.html
Old 08-03-2013, 7:13 AM

Default baton

I carry issued collasible on my belt as required but have my expensive straight stick in the car at all times. I take it out when I believe I may need it. I think its appearence on occasions is more effective than the little collasible.
Old 08-03-2013, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner336 View Post
I carry issued collasible on my belt as required but have my expensive straight stick in the car at all times. I take it out when I believe I may need it. I think its appearence on occasions is more effective than the little collasible.
About sums it up
Old 08-03-2013, 11:15 AM

gunner336 has the solution......

slightly off topic.........

I carried a collapsible baton in my last years before retirement. I ate lunch at my desk and my hands were a little greasy. One of our my sworn staff asked how the baton is deployed (it was laying on my desk). Like an idiot I "flicked" it open and promptly launched it and punched a hole in my office wall.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post

I carried a collapsible baton in my last years before retirement. I ate lunch at my desk and my hands were a little greasy. One of our my sworn staff asked how the baton is deployed (it was laying on my desk). Like an idiot I "flicked" it open and promptly launched it and punched a hole in my office wall.
That must have been a "That guy" story for awhile. That's pretty awesome.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:

impact weapon "desk pop"?
Old 08-03-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro6golf View Post
I carry a 26" Peace Keeper RCB which I love. Ive been carrying it for a couple years, havent used it yet but I know its there and I feel confident with its use. But........ lately I've been thinking maybe I wanna change to a good quality cocobolo straight stick. No real reason, just a thought thats popped in my head.

Should I keep the Peace Keeper, upgrade to a 29" peace keeper or go to the straight stick? Pros? Cons? The only reason I can think to keep the collapsable is that I never use it so why change it.
1. have you had a situation where form factor (expandable vs one piece, or any other difference in features) was an issue?

2. have you had a situation where reach factor (26" vs 29") was an issue?

IMO, impact weapon training (e.g. FMA, DBMA, etal) is more important than the impact weapon itself (or which kind/model impact weapon you carry)
Old 08-04-2013, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelx View Post
1. have you had a situation where form factor (expandable vs one piece, or any other difference in features) was an issue?

2. have you had a situation where reach factor (26" vs 29") was an issue?

IMO, impact weapon training (e.g. FMA, DBMA, etal) is more important than the impact weapon itself (or which kind/model impact weapon you carry)
No I havent. I work for a fairly busy dept and havent even pulled it out yet and have only pulled my Taser a handfull of times. Im more of a hands on guy.

As far as the rattle noise. It rattles a bit but I just force it into its holder more with a bit of a twist and it secures it fairly well.
Old 08-04-2013, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
The Monadnock baton with the tacky rubber grip is the way to go. No rattling noise, easy to deploy, and it has a button to close it rather than pounding it against the ground. Therefore it won't collapse if you jab someone with it.
I hated mine with a passion. I've seen so man fail. They don't feeling earl as balanced as my 29" dymondwood. The straight stick has its disadvantages too. It is something you need to train yourself to grab everytime you get out. They swing around a bit. When you are in a foot pursuit, it needs to be carried so you don't lose it; which usually turns out to be a good thing at the end of the foot pursuit. When it comes time to actually use the baton, there is not a single disadvantage to using the 29" dymondwood. They are extremely dense and feel 10x better than any extendable.
Old 08-04-2013, 8:20 AM

Like above, ASP on the belt and a straight stick in the car. A baton ring is always on the belt. With this set up, you always have an baton with you without juggling another thing getting out of the car. You also can rapidly upgrade when you are going to a "known' issue where a baton is likely needed.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:

I had a PC 832 class and we were doing baton training with the PR-24 and That was the most frightening class I've ever had. There were batons flying all over the place.
Old 08-04-2013, 1:10 PM

I prefer my straight stick.

I have deployed a Monadnock colapsable, ASP collapsable and the RCB collapsable. I've broken or bent them all.
Old 08-05-2013, 3:37 AM
Veteran Member

I've broken a Monadnock by... opening it. It was likely already damaged, but it closed normally prior to the final time I opened it. Fortunately I didn't have to use it when I opened it the last time (suspect gave up at that point) as I'm not sure whether it would have partially collapsed, stayed fully extended, or what.
Old 08-05-2013, 2:51 PM
In Memoriam

I carried an asp on my belt for years, but department policy required the PR-24 to be available in the car.

They have different applications, so comparing the two can be awkward.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Shotgun Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
DOJ Certified Instructor
Old 08-08-2013, 4:32 PM

Keep the collapsible on your belt and straight stick in the trunk.
Old 08-08-2013, 5:20 PM

Im gonna go with Center x's suggestion and keep the straight stick on my patrol bag in the front seat.
Old 08-08-2013, 6:13 PM

Default 26 inch straight stick

"There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory."

- The Preacher
Old 08-10-2013, 5:40 PM

Some Cops have a different point of view.

Even before collapsibles, I had no problem taking my 29" Koga with me every time I get out of the car. Like posted above, a good 29" straight stick, on your belt or in your hands, is easily recognized and helps obtain cooperation. These batons prevent fights, and if you have to use one - they work much better than a 26"er or the collapsibles.

A good straight stick simply works too well not to have. Get the standard diameter, not the skinny stick. And get one with some heft to it, not some stick made of balsa wood type light weight stuff.

If someone tells you it is too heavy or too much trouble, just smile and walk away. (I mean come on, a guy wants to be a Cop and yet is complaining about this baton? Shake the cobwebs out of your head and resume thinking. Odds are most of us need to lose more weight from our guts than this stick weighs.)

This fad of collapsibles has confused a lot of folks. They can work as yawara sticks.

smiles
Old 08-10-2013, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
The Monadnock baton with the tacky rubber grip is the way to go. No rattling noise, easy to deploy, and it has a button to close it rather than pounding it against the ground. Therefore it won't collapse if you jab someone with it.
We're issued those now, and I prefer the ASP. That is my preference since I have deployed and used it. I guess for me it's the comfort factor
Old 08-18-2013, 10:54 PM

I keep the ASP on my bike patrol rig and carry the straight stick on patrol. It's more cumbersome, but far more effective. I carry an Ironwood 24" stick. It's very dense.
http://shop.arizonaironwood.com/The-...illy-IWBLY.htm
Old 08-18-2013, 11:48 PM

straight stick the asp isnt worth **** in a bar fight with some big dudes
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 AM

Ive used my asp a couple times to break out windows but that's about all they're good for. The first time I was involved in a fight with a suspect, the asp bent and was rendered inoperable. If you want ultimate deterrence, go with the biggest club you can find to bring into the fight.
Old 08-21-2013, 9:45 AM

29" RCB on the belt.

29" Dymondwood in the car for blasters, eh I mean calls where I may need it.
Old 08-21-2013, 9:52 AM
Veteran Member

My agency issues Collapsable ASP batons... We are also only allowed carry Collapsable models as that is what our instructors train. If we want anything better than an ASP (which is pretty much anything other than an ASP) we have to buy it. Most officers don't wanna shell out the money for RCB Peacekeepers.
Old 08-21-2013, 2:39 PM

If you can get a group buy together, Peacekeeper may be able to help you out on price - shoot them an email or give them a call...
Old 08-21-2013, 6:22 PM

When I am in uniform, I still carry good old PR-24. Solid Aluminum body with the side handle. Nothing can beat that in my opinion.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Banned

Train with both,including grappling and controlling tecniques,dont just learn the stick well,but what the rest of your body is doing.Control the mind=Control the body=Control the stick=Control the lawbreaker.Train both,carry both,release the one you know you can use best.You'll get that calm feeling with the right one you are holding,you'll doubt yourself and the weapon and swing it around listlessly with the secondary stick.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master-Blaster View Post
Train with both,including grappling and controlling tecniques,dont just learn the stick well,but what the rest of your body is doing.Control the mind=Control the body=Control the stick=Control the lawbreaker.Train both,carry both,release the one you know you can use best.You'll get that calm feeling with the right one you are holding,you'll doubt yourself and the weapon and swing it around listlessly with the secondary stick.
Good point. Im going to get a good quality cocobolo straight baton and use that. I like my RCB but it doesnt beat a good 29" er
Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 PM

IMO, there isn't "THAT" much difference in performance between a same length RCB and straight stick. There would be more difference found in/gained by improving one's own abilities/proficiency.

Give someone like for example Eric Knaus (founding Dog Brothers member "Top Dog") a lightweight rattan stick or a cheapy airweight no-name brand expandable and he will Still be able to kick some serious ash!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WoMgotN90I

I've been training in FMA since 88 - highly recommend it.
Old 08-24-2013, 3:14 PM
Banned

Petro,glad i could help.
Samuelx,alot of what i say is specifically from martial arts,i even dabbled in Filipino arts,and relative interchangeability of principles,be they thought patterns or hand movements do come off as similar,just the particulars differ.Let me know if you ever wanna get together sometime,i could use a refresher course and i have armed and unarmed stuff of my own for weeks.Both can benefit from crosstraining partners.To oversimplify it,because to me it is ALL just training...firearms,physical training,research when you are too sore from everything else,hell cooking and Asian calligraphy to me are also serious,110% effort endeavors.
Old 08-24-2013, 4:08 PM

Hey MB, I think it would be great to train together! Calligraphy and cooking too? You're a renaissance man! PM me with your work email and I'll email you from mine...
Old 08-24-2013, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin101677 View Post
Most agencies I know of including me carry both a collapsable and a straight stick. Collapsable is carried on the belt and always there when something goes bad, the straight stick is kept in the car and I only pull it out on times when I think I am going to need it i.e. a bar fight etc. So I if your agency allows I would carry both
I carried a straight stick and used to leave it in the car all the time. Then the one time I really needed it, it was sitting jammed into the seat where I normally put it at. After that incident, my stick went with me everywhere. Vehicle stops, cold calls, taking code, didn't matter. When the agency I worked for started adopting the ASP, I stuck with my stick. That piece of wood saved my *** more than once.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdib870 View Post
straight stick the asp isnt worth **** in a bar fight with some big dudes
Yep, I deployed my ASP against a big Samoan guy that was high on PCP. The ASP did not have enough weight behind it to do any real damage. I switched to a Winchester after that incident, but always carried a straight stick in the car.
Old 08-25-2013, 2:31 PM

Big Samoan guy high on PCP??? You could probably hit him with a TRUCK and he wouldn't feel it...