Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 05-23-2019, 2:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Shotgun fitting

Anyone in southern California do a thorough gun fitting?
Old 05-23-2019, 2:12 PM

We can discuss this at clinic Saturday as well.
Old 05-23-2019, 2:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 395dog View Post
Anyone in southern California do a thorough gun fitting?
What kind of gun are you shooting, and how long have you been shooting it?

Make sure your gun mount and stance are correct, before you move onto gun fit. Most guns can be fit reasonable close with an adjustable comb, and either lengthening or shortening the length of pull.

To answer your question, yes Bill Skinner or Bob Day know what they're doing.
Old 05-23-2019, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperjohn View Post
We can discuss this at clinic Saturday as well.
To elaborate, you will get instruction on your mount, stance, and a gun fit check. More likely you will have your comb raised and perhaps cast out. Then you will get instruction on your hold point, look point, break point, and leads.

Perhaps you will start out with one eye open, both eyes open, discuss soft focus, hard focus, and so on. You may have to deal with an eye dominance issue which they may catch.

All of this comes into play when actually breaking clays. When it works then shoot doubles. The group learning works well because you can learn from other shooter's issues Not a bad deal for $30 for up to three experts working with you.

MidLife - "Just look at the bird. And swing smoothly to the shot. "

CaptainDick - " Faster! Faster! Faster! Don't think!
Old 05-23-2019, 4:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
To elaborate, you will get instruction on your mount, stance, and a gun fit check. More likely you will have your comb raised and perhaps cast out. Then you will get instruction on your hold point, look point, break point, and leads.

Perhaps you will start out with one eye open, both eyes open, discuss soft focus, hard focus, and so on. You may have to deal with an eye dominance issue which they may catch.

All of this comes into play when actually breaking clays. When it works then shoot doubles. The group learning works well because you can learn from other shooter's issues Not a bad deal for $30 for up to three experts working with you.
I concur!
Old 05-23-2019, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Keep in mind, if you're a beginner your mount and stance are going to evolve over time. As they change, so does your gun fit.
Old 05-23-2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Keep in mind, if you're a beginner your mount and stance are going to evolve over time. As they change, so does your gun fit.
How so?

Old 05-23-2019, 6:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
How so?
Umm, because most beginners gun mount and stance sucks. You think you can show someone how to mount a gun one time, and they'll have it perfected?
Old 05-23-2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Umm, because most beginners gun mount and stance sucks. You think you can show someone how to mount a gun one time, and they'll have it perfected?
Nope, you are right. That is why I return to the SoCal clinics. My gun fit has not changed since they corrected it the first year I started shooting clays. They caught me early enough to correct a whole host of problems. TrapperJohn coached me on optics and provided me with prescription shooting glasses twice.

I think the OP should get advise from the clinic instructors before anything else.

Old 05-23-2019, 6:22 PM

Don't worry - 395dog has been to the clinic several times, so he knows the value. That he's thinking about gun fit is a good sign.
Old 05-24-2019, 6:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Don't worry - 395dog has been to the clinic several times, so he knows the value. That he's thinking about gun fit is a good sign.
I'm confused. If you fit guns to people at the clinic, and you only need to show somebody once how to properly stand and mount the gun, shouldn't his gun already fit?
Old 05-24-2019, 7:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
What kind of gun are you shooting, and how long have you been shooting it?

Make sure your gun mount and stance are correct, before you move onto gun fit. Most guns can be fit reasonable close with an adjustable comb, and either lengthening or shortening the length of pull.
Quote:
I'm confused. If you fit guns to people at the clinic, and you only need to show somebody once how to properly stand and mount the gun, shouldn't his gun already fit?
You answered your own question previously. Refinement.
Old 05-24-2019, 8:51 AM

Ysr - I never said once fit, all is good forever. Just the opposite, if you have seen other recent posts of mine on the topic.

You are confusing my posts with others’.
Old 05-24-2019, 9:02 AM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

My issue with fit, is people seem to have different ideas on how to fit the gun. I have been to 3 different clinics with different instructors and also the guys at Pacific Sporting Arms who sold me the gun. Ok, so the guys at PSA had a goal...sell me a gun, but I walked out of there confident on my fit. Then I took a clinic in N. Cal and was told, all was good. Then I took one organized here and they added a inch or little more of foam to the top and a 1/2" to the left of the comb. I shot pretty well that day but back at my local range, no better than before. I then took a clinic at my local range and off came all that tape and foam and 1/4" pad from Berreta went on.

It seems to be whatever the fitter likes more than a science. I am getting more comfortable and getting better the more I shoot and my gun mount is getting more consistent, this season I will even try without the 1/4" pad and back to bare stock. I do want to put a adjustable comb, just not found someone I trust to cut up my Caesar Guerini yet, I wanted to do it before this season's trap league and I messed up, now I doubt I have the time to get it done. I know gun fit is important, don't get me wrong, but I think a consistent gun mount (which fit helps with) is more important.

Last edited by mikeyr; 05-24-2019 at 9:04 AM..
Old 05-24-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
I do want to put a adjustable comb, just not found someone I trust to cut up my Caesar Guerini yet, I wanted to do it before this season's trap league and I messed up, now I doubt I have the time to get it done. I know gun fit is important, don't get me wrong, but I think a consistent gun mount (which fit helps with) is more important.
Trap season eh?

Here ya go. This guy is proof that any gun can be fitted. And look, no front bead. Brad, is that you?

My technique? Bottom of the pupil resting and centered on the rib. I periodically check this in the mirror. Then adjust maybe 1/8" depending on how the gun shoots. Short barrels shoot high for me. Long barrels shoot flatter. Remingtons seem to shoot low. Whatever the case I can't see the target if the gun is blocking my view.

Old 05-24-2019, 1:27 PM

Yeah, except even after all that high rib nonsense, the gun still doesn’t fit him well or properly. Head down and eyes canted so much is very poor.
Old 05-24-2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah, except even after all that high rib nonsense, the gun still doesn’t fit him well or properly. Head down and eyes canted so much is very poor.
Yeah. He needs to attend a clinic.

Old 05-24-2019, 2:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Nothing personnel against anyone here but are we just trying to shoot a little better or going for the Olympics? You can take as many clinics as you want, and fit your gun til hell freezes over. It's still basic, mount the gun and lead the bird!!! you will hit birds. LOL
Old 05-24-2019, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whutsup40 View Post
Nothing personnel against anyone here but are we just trying to shoot a little better or going for the Olympics? You can take as many clinics as you want, and fit your gun til hell freezes over. It's still basic, mount the gun and lead the bird!!! you will hit birds. LOL
I will? Yeehaa!!!! The holy grail of testimony. I've been doing it all wrong!

Actually I had never fired a shotgun until I received my AARP card other than scout camp. So I had no clue what I was doing. My BIL let me borrow his A5 at first then took it away from me because I was so bad. But yeah learn the mount and stance first, then move on to fit your gun. The "Z" system is what I rely on.

Lately I fit my own guns with a methodical system of unbroken birds. Even that Rem 1100 is zeroed in pretty good.

Old 05-24-2019, 3:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecalguns View Post
You answered your own question previously. Refinement.
Exactly, that's why I recommend new shooters not spend 3, 4, or 5 grand on a custom fitted stock.
Old 05-24-2019, 3:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ysr - I never said once fit, all is good forever. Just the opposite, if you have seen other recent posts of mine on the topic.

You are confusing my posts with others’.
Hence my first statement in your post, "I'm confused. "
Old 05-24-2019, 3:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I spent the whole day at the range, what did I miss?

Old 05-24-2019, 3:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

And I fully understand a new shooter coming into the sport needing some guidance and direction and help with shotgun choice! by far i'm no professional, But I see far to many people really over thinking this game, where it becomes a burden and not as much fun. It really is a game and a mental game at that.
Old 05-24-2019, 3:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

did you miss any birds today ysr? lol if you had fun then you didn't miss anything!!
Old 05-24-2019, 5:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
My issue with fit, is people seem to have different ideas on how to fit the gun. I have been to 3 different clinics with different instructors and also the guys at Pacific Sporting Arms who sold me the gun. Ok, so the guys at PSA had a goal...sell me a gun, but I walked out of there confident on my fit. Then I took a clinic in N. Cal and was told, all was good. Then I took one organized here and they added a inch or little more of foam to the top and a 1/2" to the left of the comb. I shot pretty well that day but back at my local range, no better than before. I then took a clinic at my local range and off came all that tape and foam and 1/4" pad from Berreta went on.

It seems to be whatever the fitter likes more than a science. I am getting more comfortable and getting better the more I shoot and my gun mount is getting more consistent, this season I will even try without the 1/4" pad and back to bare stock. I do want to put a adjustable comb, just not found someone I trust to cut up my Caesar Guerini yet, I wanted to do it before this season's trap league and I messed up, now I doubt I have the time to get it done. I know gun fit is important, don't get me wrong, but I think a consistent gun mount (which fit helps with) is more important.
NOT LEGAL ADVICE !!

When most people talk about gun fit, they're talking about getting your dominant eye in line with the barrel. Not off to the left, not off to the right, slightly above the barrel axis.

Either your eye is, or it isn't.

If different fitters are coming up with vastly different settings, it's probably your mount that's changing. A test fitters use is, close your eyes, and mount your gun.

Is your eye in the correct place?

The biggest mistake I see new shooters make is, they mount the gun to their shoulder, not their cheek. Where the gun falls on your shoulder is less important than where the gun falls on your cheek.

The last, and most important aspect of gunfit is, are you breaking targets? And I'm not talking about targets at 15 or 20 yards, I'm taking about 40 or 50 yards.

If you can break targets at 40 or 50 yards, your gunfit is probably pretty close.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Trap season eh?

Here ya go. This guy is proof that any gun can be fitted. And look, no front bead. Brad, is that you?
Not sure about his gun, but shout out this American who built a trap range in his backyard! #GODBLESSAMERICA
Old 05-24-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
did you miss any birds today ysr? lol if you had fun then you didn't miss anything!!
Old 05-25-2019, 9:47 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My take on gum fit.
Both eyes level, beads lined up and very slightly above the rib. The most comfortable way of doing this will be your mount. The way you stand will affect your gun mount.
You have tasted different opinions on gun mount. I think with that info you should be able to draw your own conclusions after more trigger time.
I don't think there's a fit all style for gun mount!