Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2013, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynknockout View Post
Hello all, I'm new to this website and pretty new to shooting save for the M16 A-2 Service Rifle I qualled with annually in the Marine Corps for 10 years. What will this meeting on Wednesday at Iron Sights consist of exactly?

It sounds like people are linking up to go shooting and purchasing some great stuff to support the efforts of Calguns, but I thought I read something about a lounge area. Will there be discussions of any type? Like maybe how to actually purchase an XDm in California without acquiring a felony in the process lol?
There is a lot of great information on this site on how to get off roster handguns legally. You may want to look into what is called the single shot exemption and go from there. If you head to the handgun forum there is a sticky with lots of information on it. Welcome to CGN.
Old 06-23-2013, 9:14 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
What will this meeting on Wednesday at Iron Sights consist of exactly?

It sounds like people are linking up to go shooting and purchasing some great stuff to support the efforts of Calguns, but I thought I read something about a lounge area. Will there be discussions of any type?
Usually a brief intro to Calguns/CGSSA for new people, some talk on current issues/Calguns flyers and then people hit the range and some hang out and talk firearms. No set/forced agenda for the night. Stick around for what you're interested in and leave when you want. They're open until 10. Usually someone can answer your questions or point you to where on the forums you can find into.
Welcome aboard!
Old 06-24-2013, 5:15 PM
CGSSA Associate

bump for Wed.
Old 06-24-2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenosAce View Post
Ah got ya. The price is kind of high for this hobby/sport. If you wanna shoot a shotgun, I can bring mine and let you run her on the range. If you get just enough money to cover your range fee, I will bring some of my spare shells for you.

This is a meet and shoot. We will meet at the lounge and usually a little about what is going on politically and you could pick others brains about any questions you have. Hoss and the others that run this do a great job. Then after some talking, we go shoot. But I will be on the bench this month which will kill me.

By the way welcome both of you to calguns.
Sorry if I replied to your reply wrong XenosAce; not really experienced with forums. Sounds great; I'm familiar with Iron Sights but have no knowledge of where the lounge is. I gather I can talk to Natalie or somebody there and they can direct me where to go. Thanks for the information
Old 06-24-2013, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manpants View Post
There is a lot of great information on this site on how to get off roster handguns legally. You may want to look into what is called the single shot exemption and go from there. If you head to the handgun forum there is a sticky with lots of information on it. Welcome to CGN.
Thanks for the info Manpants. I read it but have to admit I am still a bit confused. I'm going to throw myself under the bus and admit I don't know a whole lot about guns and their terminology. Especially with California's gun laws, things can get really confusing but I'm taking the time to research and ask questions - which will be a great benefit for this Wednesday's meeting.

You experienced gun guys can be quite intimidating at times lol. I've been to a few gun stores and most of the workers are so serious that I'm reluctant to ask questions some times. But back to your suggestions, I'm looking heavily into the SSE primarily for the fact to show others that you can still get what you want if you stay within the current laws, do research, and get with educated individuals who can provide some know how.
Old 06-24-2013, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss_hk View Post
Usually a brief intro to Calguns/CGSSA for new people, some talk on current issues/Calguns flyers and then people hit the range and some hang out and talk firearms. No set/forced agenda for the night. Stick around for what you're interested in and leave when you want. They're open until 10. Usually someone can answer your questions or point you to where on the forums you can find into.
Welcome aboard!
You all have me motivated; I'm going... I don't care what my wife says lol I've been getting more and more into guns and she is getting a little frustrated with my new hobby. I'm working her a little at a time though, she used to like to shoot years back but now that we have kids - she is totally against it and paranoid thanks to the news and irresponsible gun owners.

I would love to talk firearms or at least listen. I don't want to be laughed at for being asked if I'm interested in a collapsible stock and then replying back "no, I am interested in the ones that are adjustable"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Britain View Post
Well the main reason being I'm only 16. It's rather difficult to convince someone to go and shoot with me, with all the costs and rentals 'n stuff.
Captain Britain, if your 5 minutes away, I'm going to guess we are in the same vicinity; somewhere near Foussat or Bennet area? I have no problem going with you as well as sharing the little bit of rounds I have so long as you do have your parents permission (not to make you sound young, but I don't need your parents going upside my head for letting you shoot if they aren't in agreement young'n I will be bringing a .40 S&W 410S and an H&K AR 416 .22 LR. I have about 100 rounds for the S&W and zero rounds for the H&K LOL - last time I went, Iron Sights sold me two boxes which I hope to obtain again. I need to break the new H&K in as best as I can. I have the targets covered also; you just need to find your way in and it looks like you would be able to shoot a variety of weapons between XenosAce and myself (can you say hook up anyone, lol?)
Old 06-24-2013, 8:31 PM

Quote:

I would love to talk firearms or at least listen. I don't want to be laughed at for being asked if I'm interested in a collapsible stock and then replying back "no, I am interested in the ones that are adjustable"

Captain Britain, if your 5 minutes away, I'm going to guess we are in the same vicinity; somewhere near Foussat or Bennet area? I have no problem going with you as well as sharing the little bit of rounds I have so long as you do have your parents permission (not to make you sound young, but I don't need your parents going upside my head for letting you shoot if they aren't in agreement young'n I will be bringing a .40 S&W 410S and an H&K AR 416 .22 LR. I have about 100 rounds for the S&W and zero rounds for the H&K LOL - last time I went, Iron Sights sold me two boxes which I hope to obtain again. I need to break the new H&K in as best as I can. I have the targets covered also; you just need to find your way in and it looks like you would be able to shoot a variety of weapons between XenosAce and myself (can you say hook up anyone, lol?)
Don't worry about asking questions, most people are happy to share knowledge when someone is eager to learn.

If you can't get any .22 let me know, I will bring some extra to share.... if I get home from work in time tomorrow I will try to whip up some more .40 to bring also.
Old 06-24-2013, 8:57 PM
CGSSA Associate

There's a lot of info out there, and you can get plenty of help at these meets. If not by personal experience, at least you will get info on where on Calguns to look/ask questions. We've got some helpful flyers and other handouts that talk about if a "rifle" is legal by CA standards and info on current CA proposed or "in-motion" legislation.
Old 06-24-2013, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info Manpants. I read it but have to admit I am still a bit confused. I'm going to throw myself under the bus and admit I don't know a whole lot about guns and their terminology. Especially with California's gun laws, things can get really confusing but I'm taking the time to research and ask questions - which will be a great benefit for this Wednesday's meeting.

You experienced gun guys can be quite intimidating at times lol. I've been to a few gun stores and most of the workers are so serious that I'm reluctant to ask questions some times. But back to your suggestions, I'm looking heavily into the SSE primarily for the fact to show others that you can still get what you want if you stay within the current laws, do research, and get with educated individuals who can provide some know how.
No worries. Just keep at it. After a while it "makes sense". Takes time when things are so twisted and bass ackwards in Cali.

Last edited by Manpants; 06-25-2013 at 6:00 AM.. Reason: !
Old 06-24-2013, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sorry if I replied to your reply wrong XenosAce; not really experienced with forums. Sounds great; I'm familiar with Iron Sights but have no knowledge of where the lounge is. I gather I can talk to Natalie or somebody there and they can direct me where to go. Thanks for the information
I do apologize brother. The lounge, if it can be called that, is the room they have. Come Wednesday just look for the group of people who look like they are on the net. My first time, like you, didn't know where to go except by seeing a group of guys talking. So you will definitely be there?

"Yo buddy, you still alive?" -Larry "Pixy" Foulke

Quote:
Originally Posted by FremontJames View Post
XenosAce, San Diego's finest drunk wrasslin' tranny 'snatchin security guard.
Old 06-25-2013, 7:07 AM

Ill bring a brick of 22. Help break in that hk
Old 06-25-2013, 7:46 AM
CGSSA Associate

Look for the room with the Calguns banner. It's more of a classroom than a lounge, but who's complaining?

Old 06-25-2013, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Hoss_hk, man with all the answers Did you have to use this picture? I looked sexier in the other one :P

Quote:
Old 06-25-2013, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlyps2 View Post
Don't worry about asking questions, most people are happy to share knowledge when someone is eager to learn.

If you can't get any .22 let me know, I will bring some extra to share.... if I get home from work in time tomorrow I will try to whip up some more .40 to bring also.
Thanks chknlyps2, good to know. I am eager, probably making up for lost time lol. I think the threat I'm hearing of having our 2nd Amendment taken away from us is putting a spark up my *** Also thanks for the gracious sharing of your ammo but I couldn't do that as I know how hard it is to come across right now.
Old 06-25-2013, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknlyps2 View Post

That's too kind of you chknlyps2 but I couldn't accept that knowing how hard ammo is to come by nowadays. Thank you so much for your unselfhishness; that is a rare quality these days.

Quote:
There's a lot of info out there, and you can get plenty of help at these meets. If not by personal experience, at least you will get info on where on Calguns to look/ask questions. We've got some helpful flyers and other handouts that talk about if a "rifle" is legal by CA standards and info on current CA proposed or "in-motion" legislation.
Awesome news to know Hoss, especially for us new guys. Sounds like a meeting of value and opportunity that I don't want to miss.
Old 06-25-2013, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manpants View Post
No worries. Just keep at it. After a while it "makes sense". Takes time when things are so twisted and bass ackwards in Cali.
I hear that Manpants; one of my only drawbacks with California (besides the occasional earthquakes)
Old 06-25-2013, 6:09 PM

Quote:
I do apologize brother. The lounge, if it can be called that, is the room they have. Come Wednesday just look for the group of people who look like they are on the net. My first time, like you, didn't know where to go except by seeing a group of guys talking. So you will definitely be there?
I'm in there like swimwear Xeno, thanks for the information. I found Parris Island 10 years back so I just might be able to find this room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglemonkee View Post
Ill bring a brick of 22. Help break in that hk
Your too kind gigglemonkee; we need more like you. I can't accept though as I know you all probably have been lined up at some point waiting for ammo. Hopefully Iron Sights still has the two boxes of 50 rounds for sale available tomorrow.

My apologies everyone for not utilizing the mult-quote function. I tried it several times but didn't get it right until now. Here's to learning new things!
Old 06-25-2013, 6:55 PM

Quote:
I'm in there like swimwear Xeno, thanks for the information. I found Parris Island 10 years back so I just might be able to find this room.

Your too kind gigglemonkee; we need more like you. I can't accept though as I know you all probably have been lined up at some point waiting for ammo. Hopefully Iron Sights still has the two boxes of 50 rounds for sale available tomorrow.

My apologies everyone for not utilizing the mult-quote function. I tried it several times but didn't get it right until now. Here's to learning new things!
don't worry about it, i sold most of my 22s and got a bunch of bricks before the whole panic and really only shoot 9 and 40 now. i got a good 20k rounds around here. actually found a case of federal when cleaning out my garage.
Old 06-25-2013, 8:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So you are a marine? And I have not heard that saying before. I like it

Quote:
Old 06-25-2013, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglemonkee View Post
don't worry about it, i sold most of my 22s and got a bunch of bricks before the whole panic and really only shoot 9 and 40 now. i got a good 20k rounds around here. actually found a case of federal when cleaning out my garage.
Now that's what I call stocking gigglemonkee. That's really nice of you; thanks a lot... the HK might just get broke in after all

Quote:
So you are a marine? And I have not heard that saying before. I like it
Correction Xeno... I am a Marine lol.
Old 06-25-2013, 9:04 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
I hear that Manpants; one of my only drawbacks with California (besides the occasional earthquakes)
what earthquakes?
Old 06-25-2013, 9:21 PM

Quote:
I am a Marine

No..."Marine" is spelled H-O-T.

BK
Old 06-25-2013, 9:22 PM

Quote:
what earthquakes?
Exactly... I'd come back from PT with my students or come back from Chow and people would ask "did you feel that earthquake"? and I replied back "what earthquakes" lol.

I did however finally see one about 2 years ago when I noticed I was watching my entire wall mounted tv shift considerably from side to side. That was the one that rocked Mexico a couple of years back and the after shock hit us.

Hoss, if you don't mind... can you add my name to the list for people attending tomorrow's event? I'm definitely attending and do appreciate all the info thus far.
Old 06-25-2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
No..."Marine" is spelled H-O-T.

BK
LOL, I hate to say it but some are N-O-T. I just got out myself and had a few "mongaoloids" check in to my unit... lord forgive me that's bad... but Slaw from the Goonies is not hot.
Old 06-25-2013, 9:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Correction Xeno... I am a Marine lol.
Apologies. I usually get it right. I blame the hydrocodone, has been causing to slip up.

Quote:
Old 06-25-2013, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Apologies. I usually get it right. I blame the hydrocodone, has been causing to slip up.
I'm just being silly Xeno... but Marine looks so much more better than marine. Hydrocodene, you in pain brother? Hope all is well or as well as it can be.
Old 06-25-2013, 9:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I'm just being silly Xeno... but Marine looks so much more better than marine. Hydrocodene, you in pain brother? Hope all is well or as well as it can be.
Recovering from a surgery and well... doc said I can not shoot (or anything strenuous). So besides my own pride being hurt, I think I will live.

Quote:
Old 06-26-2013, 9:31 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Exactly... I'd come back from PT with my students or come back from Chow and people would ask "did you feel that earthquake"? and I replied back "what earthquakes" lol.

I did however finally see one about 2 years ago when I noticed I was watching my entire wall mounted tv shift considerably from side to side. That was the one that rocked Mexico a couple of years back and the after shock hit us.

Hoss, if you don't mind... can you add my name to the list for people attending tomorrow's event? I'm definitely attending and do appreciate all the info thus far.
I was in the Loma Prieta (SF Bay area) quake in 1989 and Northridge (LA) in 1994. Those were earthquakes.
You've been on the list for 2 days. See you there!
Old 06-26-2013, 1:01 PM

If you guys do not mind a newbie coming along I would be interested in coming to this event. I have a M&P 45 I have been wanting to break in for some time now and would appreciate any help/advice on the subject.
Old 06-26-2013, 1:39 PM

Barring catastrophic injury, zombies, or Fringe event that jacks with space/time, I will be there.
“Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.”

Hunter S. Thompson
The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales From a Strange Time
Old 06-26-2013, 2:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Chris61 View Post
If you guys do not mind a newbie coming along I would be interested in coming to this event. I have a M&P 45 I have been wanting to break in for some time now and would appreciate any help/advice on the subject.
Put a hundred or so rounds down the barrel.
Then clean, inspect, lubricate.....and then go shoot few hundred more with the knowledge you have a great pistol.

I'm considering the M&P in 9mm...because I don't have enough guns in 9mm.
Old 06-26-2013, 3:38 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Chris61 View Post
See you there!
Old 06-26-2013, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddh View Post
I'm considering the M&P in 9mm...because I don't have enough guns in 9mm.
You should get one in .357sig

Quote:
Old 06-26-2013, 9:00 PM

Nice meeting you all; had a great time even though somehow the Brooklyn guy ended up on the opposite lane areas (things that make you go hmmm). Will definitely be at the next Iron Sights meet.

Todd, thanks for the grip tips; they definitely worked. I will practice more like that and will definitely see you at Iron Sights next Thursday if your still going. Hoss, Xeno, GiggleMonkee, and Chknlypse, thanks for all the information.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nice meeting you all; had a great time even though somehow the Brooklyn guy ended up on the opposite lane areas (things that make you go hmmm). Will definitely be at the next Iron Sights meet.

Todd, thanks for the grip tips; they definitely worked. I will practice more like that and will definitely see you at Iron Sights next Thursday if your still going. Hoss, Xeno, GiggleMonkee, and Chknlypse, thanks for all the information.
It was great meeting you too knockout. Last meet a guy and I got stuck on the wrong side of the wall if you as well. It happens unfortunately. Just gotta see what everyone brought and try to blend in with them.

On another note. I WAS FINALLY NOT THE YOUNGEST ONE THERE! Thanks to the other youngsters who came. Finally did not feel like the odd person out by being under drinking age (or pistol purchasing for the non drinkers).

Quote:
Old 06-26-2013, 10:46 PM

Man, I had a blast.... nice meeting all of you! I cant wait to do it again.
Old 06-27-2013, 6:54 AM

got stuck at work, maybe next time (gotta pay the bills)
Old 06-27-2013, 7:22 AM

Just want to say thank you for a great time last night, I look forward to seeing the photos that were being taken. Also a very big thank you to Todd, the information you gave me was invaluable.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:27 PM
CGSSA Associate

It was good to meet everyone (and see the regulars) last night. Thanks to Todd for food (again). Sorry I didn't get a pic of everyone- we had a great group last night. A couple juniors, several women shooters, some new-to-Calguns members, and even a C3 rep drove 80 minutes from up north to join us. Look forward to the next one!

Old 06-27-2013, 5:03 PM
Banned

Another successful Cal-guns meet and greet.

Thanks to everyone for a good time.