Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 03-07-2020, 3:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Optic reticle choice for bergara 308?

So I’ve never got into bolt actions or any real long range shooting. Going to purchase a bergara HMR B-14 in 308. Planning to get a vortex viper pst gen 2 scope, probably 3-15. When looking at these scopes I’m getting a little overwhelmed with the reticle options and ffp vs sfp. Looking for opinions on what’s the best option for my use.

Main use will just be shooting steel at my club, have targets up to 900 yards. Not planning to compete or anything just want a rifle that can make some accurate shots at 400 yards and further. I have zero experience with long range reticles, have only used 3x scopes on AR/AK’s. Don’t want recommendations for other rounds, I want 308 because I don’t want to add another caliber. Thanks

Last edited by D.A.V.I.D.; 03-07-2020 at 3:29 PM..
Old 03-07-2020, 3:38 PM
Veteran Member

I'm fairly new to much of this, though i've been reading quite a few books on subjects concerning the practical rifle and long range rifle sport. There are pluses and minuses to each type of reticle and format.

Many still favor MOA based scopes in some venues and find it quite easy to use as the adjustments are a bit narrower and the units are easily translated in inches.

That said, it seems that many in the PRS have transitioned to MIL MIL FFP scopes. That's what i've been using of late. I find it very easy to understand and manipulate..The reticle scale in an FFP reticle stays consistent throughout magnification but as a result it enlarges proportionately with increased magnification.

i'm sure you could do very well with both formats.

What i probably wouldn't advocate is a scope that uses a mixed platform....too many conversions for my brain.

Last edited by mtenenhaus; 03-07-2020 at 3:42 PM..
Old 03-07-2020, 3:47 PM
Mountain Picker
CGN Contributor

Read this CalGuns thread about MOA vs. Mil. The thread will help eliminate your confusion.

Sounds like a nice rifle and scope combo that should serve you well. Be sure to get good quality mounts and rings.
-P
Old 03-07-2020, 4:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you are shooting at set ranges the focal plane doesn't make a lot of difference. I like the SFP for known distance shooting because I don't like the way the reticle enlarges and hides so much of the center of the target on FFP.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 03-07-2020, 4:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjold View Post
If you are shooting at set ranges the focal plane doesn't make a lot of difference. I like the SFP for known distance shooting because I don't like the way the reticle enlarges and hides so much of the center of the target on FFP.
^^^^^^^^^^ -> This!

FFP scopes aren't necessary for target shooting. If you know the distance, you can get a scope with exposed turrets and dial in the correction, or you can get a marked reticle (BDC or MOA/MIL) and learn the holdovers. My fancy reticles are all MOA to help with ranging varmints, predators and game, but I'm pretty sure I could have just as easily gotten used to MIL scopes.
Old 03-07-2020, 4:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.V.I.D. View Post
So I’ve never got into bolt actions or any real long range shooting. Going to purchase a bergara HMR B-14 in 308. Planning to get a vortex viper pst gen 2 scope, probably 3-15. When looking at these scopes I’m getting a little overwhelmed with the reticle options and ffp vs sfp. Looking for opinions on what’s the best option for my use.

Main use will just be shooting steel at my club, have targets up to 900 yards. Not planning to compete or anything just want a rifle that can make some accurate shots at 400 yards and further. I have zero experience with long range reticles, have only used 3x scopes on AR/AK’s. Don’t want recommendations for other rounds, I want 308 because I don’t want to add another caliber. Thanks
Don't overthink it. Just get the Vortex Viper 5-25 FFP in MRAD reticle or Athlon ETR 4.5-30 FFP MIL. Both are around the same price and will serve you well. If you were to jump a bit in price I'd recommend the Razor gen 2.
Old 03-07-2020, 4:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackEllis View Post
^^^^^^^^^^ -> This!

FFP scopes aren't necessary for target shooting. If you know the distance, you can get a scope with exposed turrets and dial in the correction, or you can get a marked reticle (BDC or MOA/MIL) and learn the holdovers. My fancy reticles are all MOA to help with ranging varmints, predators and game, but I'm pretty sure I could have just as easily gotten used to MIL scopes.
Right, and he doesn't even need a milling reticle. Probably the simpler the better because that Vortex has exposed turrets for dialing.
Old 03-07-2020, 5:38 PM

Do you have a budget?
Nikon is closing out their line of scope, so there are some deal to be had. Those black fx are almost half off or so at euro optics. Read some reviews on the web. But they are first focal plane and I also don’t like them as the reticle gets Too big.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Nikon-BLAC...FFP-16514.aspx

I just bought my second one of these after the First one was beyond my expectations. Don’t need more than 12x for 400 yards. I think they also have 4-16
https://www.eurooptic.com/Nikon-M-TA...RAD-16520.aspx

Last edited by FishnHunt; 03-07-2020 at 5:46 PM..
Old 03-08-2020, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

In the Vortex PSTll, get the EBR-7C. Either in MOA or MRAD(MIL) in FFP. This scope will get you where you want to go. Don't buy a SFP scope.

You will have a learning curve to go through. Find a mentor to help you understand long range shooting, how to make a ballistic range/ dope card, how to dial the turrets and how the reticle works with all of those hashes. Don't be afraid of the EBR-7C reticle. It works really well when you learn to use it.

For shooting steel, FFP has it's advantages if you decide to use hold overs instead of dialing. In a SFP scope you have to be up to full magnification to use a holdover. SFP scopes have their uses. I prefer SFP scopes when hunting.

You only need to decide MOA or MRAD. I prefer MRAD due to its adjustments being in tenths (think dimes 10=1) where MOA adjustments are in quarters (.25 4=1). Both are very useable. Just be sure the reticle and turrets are both the same. Most scopes today have matching turrets and reticles. Years ago, there were a few scopes that were not matching and this causes the user to have to convert MOA to MILS (MRAD) making thing more complicated.

Many people buy a scope without understanding the long range game and will purchase a scope finding out later they made a mistake and will eventually buy another scope that is better suited.

Everyone has an opinion. Take all of these opinions here and make decision. I Made my purchasing mistakes along the way.

I've been doing this for a long time.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:27 AM
Calguns Addict

If your brand new and young enough that you might transition to prs match shooting get a ffp now and learn how to use it.
If you think you might transition into any other form of competition get a sfp as that is what everyone else is using.
You didn't mention hunting so a used Nightforce NXS or Benchrest in 12-42 variable power runs around $1000. Hunting rifles need a lower low power setting for a large field of view and acquiring of the target.
Gong hitting scopes don't need a low initial power setting.
In the old days most scopes had 3-4 times magnification multiplier's so a 3 on the low end gave you 9 or 12 power on the high end and good clarity.
With today's better scopes they can now use 10x multiplication so 3-30 4-40 and 8-80 scopes are now possible but they also run $3000 if you want one you can still see through.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 03-08-2020, 11:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHT762 View Post
In the Vortex PSTll, get the EBR-7C. Either in MOA or MRAD(MIL) in FFP. This scope will get you where you want to go. Don't buy a SFP scope.

You will have a learning curve to go through. Find a mentor to help you understand long range shooting, how to make a ballistic range/ dope card, how to dial the turrets and how the reticle works with all of those hashes. Don't be afraid of the EBR-7C reticle. It works really well when you learn to use it.

For shooting steel, FFP has it's advantages if you decide to use hold overs instead of dialing. In a SFP scope you have to be up to full magnification to use a holdover. SFP scopes have their uses. I prefer SFP scopes when hunting.

You only need to decide MOA or MRAD. I prefer MRAD due to its adjustments being in tenths (think dimes 10=1) where MOA adjustments are in quarters (.25 4=1). Both are very useable. Just be sure the reticle and turrets are both the same. Most scopes today have matching turrets and reticles. Years ago, there were a few scopes that were not matching and this causes the user to have to convert MOA to MILS (MRAD) making thing more complicated.

Many people buy a scope without understanding the long range game and will purchase a scope finding out later they made a mistake and will eventually buy another scope that is better suited.

Everyone has an opinion. Take all of these opinions here and make decision. I Made my purchasing mistakes along the way.

I've been doing this for a long time.
This is pretty much where I’m at, just needs to decide moa or MRAD. Think I’m probably going to get 5-25 since the price difference isn’t great. Don’t want to buy the 3-15 then regret it. Since I’m not re learning anything FFP seems to be the way to go especially since I get a little obsessive and might get really into it.
Old 03-08-2020, 7:00 PM

I didn’t read all the post nor the link I saw, so this might be redundant.
The days of reticle ranging, however a skill, is outdated. No need as we have much more accurate and faster laser rangefinders.
But....the reticle is a ruler. I get some people like sfp for various reasons but if you ever plan on holds at various ranges, using various forms of magnification, then FFP is the most useful. Mil vs moa is a personal choice. To that end, there are some tips and tricks that are mathematically easier to do with mils but again that’s shooter dependent and there’s always a way to convert it to moa. An example is wind dope. If you want to be able to do wind in your head, you can figure out your guns “mph” by looking for where you dope aligns, in my case, with a 6 mph wind. It would look like this:
6 mph wind
100- .1
300y .3
500y .5
600y .6
Now if it’s a 5 mph wind I know 500 is .4
7 mph it’s .6 etc.