Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-07-2012, 4:51 PM
1/2 BANNED
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
ASD, knows where to send his donations. It appears he d onated to the forum for being a great resource, and I expect him to do a little something for CGF too. When I helped it was for CGF.
Old 08-31-2012, 2:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
We are the most friendly in the Bay Area. Unfortunately that is not a very high bar to clear. As Wireless said, you do need elevated risk to be granted a license.
The bar is obviously very low, but the contrast between SMC and some of the outright-ban counties like SF and Alameda is still pretty stark. For the average person, it doesn't really make a difference, but for folks with elevated risk or exposure, the worst counties won't even give you the time of day -- at least SMC seems to issue to people with higher-than-average risk.
Old 09-18-2012, 9:55 AM

I have most of my CCW application filled out except page 13 where I need to articulate my reasons of good cause. Hopefully someone here can donate their free time to go over what I got and give me some pointers. I'm not the best when it comes with words. Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 1:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo95Max View Post
I have most of my CCW application filled out except page 13 where I need to articulate my reasons of good cause. Hopefully someone here can donate their free time to go over what I got and give me some pointers. I'm not the best when it comes with words. Thanks
I'm pretty sure the instructions say to fill out up to and including page 11, no further than that.

Include your good cause statement on a separate piece of paper.
Old 10-08-2012, 5:08 AM

Has anyone applying in San Mateo county been having problems getting scheduled for app drop-off or interviews, say within the last 3 weeks?

It looks like the previous person who handled that function (Tom Merson) is no longer with the SO and the new person is not, in several cases I know of, not returning calls, scheduling interviews/fingerprinting, etc.

I have heard other grumblings as well. Hoping someone has some information, as I'm trying to walk a couple of people through the process. Not sure if this is a transitional-institutional 'hiccup', or if something else is afoot.
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 10-08-2012, 3:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardm View Post
Has anyone applying in San Mateo county been having problems getting scheduled for app drop-off or interviews, say within the last 3 weeks?
It looks like the previous person who handled that function (Tom Merson) is no longer with the SO and the new person is not, in several cases I know of, not returning calls, scheduling interviews/fingerprinting, etc.
I have heard other grumblings as well. Hoping someone has some information, as I'm trying to walk a couple of people through the process. Not sure if this is a transitional-institutional 'hiccup', or if something else is afoot.
Even with Tom around, it seemed like getting an interview ranged from a few days to over a month, so I doubt it will get any better with him gone...
Old 10-08-2012, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post
Even with Tom around, it seemed like getting an interview ranged from a few days to over a month, so I doubt it will get any better with him gone...
In Tom's defense (not that I owe him one), he was part-time and only in the office 2 or 3 days per week.

His replacement is a sworn sergeant, though I don't know yet if he is a reserve or a regular F/T person. I'm wondering if there has been a shift in the internal policies at the SMCSO or if we're just dealing with 'takeover lag'.

I guess I'll start working the phones this week and see what I can come up with.
More regimes have been brought, piecemeal, to their knees by what was once called “Irish Democracy”—the silent, dogged resistance, withdrawal, and truculence of millions of ordinary people—than by revolutionary vanguards or rioting mobs.
Old 10-18-2012, 5:39 PM

Here is the situation .. I live in DC and Work in Burlingame .. usually work till 9 to 10 pm and carry around 7k once a week .. good clause?

I should have applied for CCW when I lived in Sacto but I moved 3 years ago ..

Any suggestions? Please help. Thank you.

“Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed.” — Lt. Gen. “Chesty” Puller

“A ship without Marines is no ship of war at all.” — Adm.David Dixon Porter, U.S. Navy, 1864
Old 10-18-2012, 5:46 PM

By the way, would it help if I inform the SO that I was in the USMC and went through POST Reserve Level II Class right after 9/11? I can probably get character references from a few retired cops, active duty cops, and may be a judge (If she stills remember me) LOL

“Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed.” — Lt. Gen. “Chesty” Puller

“A ship without Marines is no ship of war at all.” — Adm.David Dixon Porter, U.S. Navy, 1864
Old 10-18-2012, 10:10 PM

Do you think that "The East Palo Alto Police Department's complete inability to control or contain the violence in my neighborhood" would constitute good cause? Honestly that's all I have outside of "The Second Amendment guarentees that my right to keep an bear arms shall not be infringed"?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member

Powerkruat: From what I understand that won't work too well... but you can always try.

I'm in the same boat you are, just waiting for progress and donating money to CGF when I can.

Bhliu11: if you have written proof of carrying large sums of money often then you should try.

Last edited by unusedusername; 10-18-2012 at 11:17 PM..
Old 10-19-2012, 2:39 PM
CGN Contributor

You need to rephrase this in a way that it directly impacts your safety. For example: did you every walked near your home and was threatened or was in a situation that caused you to believe that you are in danger? You need to describe those situations. Did you ever filed a complaint with the police about violence or break in? Those are all good causes, but they have to be your personal experiences.

Do not talk down at the police. Remember that you are asking _them_ to give you something they don't have to. On the contrary, be supportive of their effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerkraut View Post
Do you think that "The East Palo Alto Police Department's complete inability to control or contain the violence in my neighborhood" would constitute good cause? Honestly that's all I have outside of "The Second Amendment guarentees that my right to keep an bear arms shall not be infringed"?
Old 10-19-2012, 2:46 PM

Does that mean I need to get a letter from the Boss saying I carry $$? He is anti gun LOL

Old 10-22-2012, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHLiu11 View Post
Does that mean I need to get a letter from the Boss saying I carry $$? He is anti gun LOL
AFAIK, if you use work in your good cause, they will contact your employer.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Think of it this way - heightened cause implies heightened risk. So ask: why are you at any greater risk of having violence visited upon you, compared to Joe Random? If you can articulate facts and circumstances that put you at some enhanced risk, you have determined your enhanced good cause.
Just to lighten the mood here, I'd say this; "I really rub people the wrong way, people just want to beat the crap out of me because I'm a bit a jerk, so I'm at heightened risk of having violence visited upon me. By the way, did you gain some weight?"
Old 12-05-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Just to lighten the mood here, I'd say this; "I really rub people the wrong way, people just want to beat the crap out of me because I'm a bit a jerk, so I'm at heightened risk of having violence visited upon me. By the way, did you gain some weight?"
LOL.

I should have added to examine your daily life activities. What seems mundane to you may be good cause to the Sheriff. To some extent, finding good cause for SMCSO to accept is more a mental exercise than anything else. I'm not saying to spin a tale out of whole cloth, mind you.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
How about, "I need to defend myself from rabid raccoons and jackrabbits the size of small dogs that frequent the parking lot of my office building when I leave late at night"? Because that's pretty much all I've got. That, and the damn Canada geese all over Redwood Shores.

Almost makes me wish my life were ever-so-slightly more in danger on a regular basis than it actually is. Almost. Maybe I should get a job at an Apple store around the time their next big iProduct comes out

Statements I make on this forum should not be construed as giving legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Last edited by kf6tac; 12-12-2012 at 11:49 PM..
Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 AM

Is there anybody I can PM about my circumstances, to see if it might be "good enough" for San Mateo county?
Old 12-14-2012, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batstrider View Post
Is there anybody I can PM about my circumstances, to see if it might be "good enough" for San Mateo county?
Gene
Old 12-14-2012, 9:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batstrider View Post
If its better that "self defense" I'd spend the $95 to find out
Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

So i'm ready to apply for a CCW, should I just fill out the form based on my good cause? Or do we have any Known Accepted Good Cause Statements available yet?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud99 View Post
So i'm ready to apply for a CCW, should I just fill out the form based on my good cause? Or do we have any Known Accepted Good Cause Statements available yet?
Your GC will have to be 1) legitimate and 2) stand on its own.

It is not a boilerplate exercise with Sheriff Munks, but he's reasonable. So, give it a shot.

NB: due to some recent personnel changes at SMCSO things *may* be backlogged a bit more than usual according to my sources. Nothing major, but a couple months ago apps were slow in being accepted, calls not returned, etc.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Make Calguns Great Again
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Your GC will have to be 1) legitimate and 2) stand on its own.

It is not a boilerplate exercise with Sheriff Munks, but he's reasonable. So, give it a shot.

NB: due to some recent personnel changes at SMCSO things *may* be backlogged a bit more than usual according to my sources. Nothing major, but a couple months ago apps were slow in being accepted, calls not returned, etc.
I have a few potential qualifying factors, so I think I have a fair chance of being accepted, depending on how I choose to present these factors.

Regardless of result, i'm ok with dumping money down the drain to give it a shot.
Old 02-08-2013, 5:17 PM

Hi all, I'm new to this Forum, so forgive me if I say anything stupid. I'm a San Mateo County resident (Redwood City), and have been my entire life with the exception of one year in Emeryville.

I have been a handgun owner for a while now and feel comfortable enough with my handgun to carry it. I am asking for some opinions on here because I can not contact the Sheriff's office about it because of a close relationship with the person I would normally ask (who is very anti-gun), and because I've not forums much other information on it in forums.

I own an audio business and run sound for events. I regularly tow a trailer with about half a million dollars worth of gear in it with a truck that has my company name including advertising equipment for concerts, events, etc. on the side of it. I also work alone, and am loading my trailer late at night for over an hour leaving it open, and have had equipment stolen from an event site twice. Now I think I would have "Good Cause" for Sheriff Munks, but I've also seen plenty that around here that the expectation of victimization is not considered "good cause". Now I don't have a bag full of money that I carry around, but what's in my equipment trailer is my life and career, and I consider it more valuable to me than a bag of money.

I would love to get some outside opinions on the relationship between "expectation of victimization" and "protecting large sums of valuable equipment" with regard to San Mateo County's CCW's.

I very much appreciate any input or response on here, and any outside information I get I'll happily share here!!
Old 02-09-2013, 6:08 AM
CGN Contributor

While I am not the one to decide, I think you have a "good cause". I recommend you write a letter, listing every case of theft from your trailer including police case number (you did call them to report, right?). List any case were there was a "strange" activity that might have lead to a "dangerous" one, even if it didn't. Explain why it is important that you keep doing this job. List your gun training and qualification. Tell them how you are a long time, good, contributing resident of San Mateo CO. Call the Sheriff office and ask to speak to the person handling LTC permits. Be patient and polite. My experience is that they want to help you. Do keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundENGR View Post
Hi all, I'm new to this Forum, so forgive me if I say anything stupid. I'm a San Mateo County resident (Redwood City), and have been my entire life with the exception of one year in Emeryville.

I have been a handgun owner for a while now and feel comfortable enough with my handgun to carry it. I am asking for some opinions on here because I can not contact the Sheriff's office about it because of a close relationship with the person I would normally ask (who is very anti-gun), and because I've not forums much other information on it in forums.

I own an audio business and run sound for events. I regularly tow a trailer with about half a million dollars worth of gear in it with a truck that has my company name including advertising equipment for concerts, events, etc. on the side of it. I also work alone, and am loading my trailer late at night for over an hour leaving it open, and have had equipment stolen from an event site twice. Now I think I would have "Good Cause" for Sheriff Munks, but I've also seen plenty that around here that the expectation of victimization is not considered "good cause". Now I don't have a bag full of money that I carry around, but what's in my equipment trailer is my life and career, and I consider it more valuable to me than a bag of money.

I would love to get some outside opinions on the relationship between "expectation of victimization" and "protecting large sums of valuable equipment" with regard to San Mateo County's CCW's.

I very much appreciate any input or response on here, and any outside information I get I'll happily share here!!
Old 02-09-2013, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhu View Post
While I am not the one to decide, I think you have a "good cause". I recommend you write a letter, listing every case of theft from your trailer including police case number (you did call them to report, right?). List any case were there was a "strange" activity that might have lead to a "dangerous" one, even if it didn't. Explain why it is important that you keep doing this job. List your gun training and qualification. Tell them how you are a long time, good, contributing resident of San Mateo CO. Call the Sheriff office and ask to speak to the person handling LTC permits. Be patient and polite. My experience is that they want to help you. Do keep us posted.
While I believe the current sheriff is better than the previous who I had the experience applying for CCW, theft in my opinion is not a good cause. I think you have good cause but you need to articulate writing your good cause that focus on threat to yourself. Good luck
Old 02-10-2013, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gose View Post
AFAIK, if you use work in your good cause, they will contact your employer.
Can anyone confirm this? What does the call entail?

I have to imagine that anything besides a verification of employment would be a violation of your personal privacy.

TIA
Old 02-12-2013, 2:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEU_SOC View Post
Can anyone confirm this? What does the call entail?
I have to imagine that anything besides a verification of employment would be a violation of your personal privacy.
TIA
From the form...

Quote:
I understand that I am obligated to be complete and truthful in providing information on this application. I understand that all of the information disclosed by me in this application may be subject to public disclosure.
and

Quote:
The licensee authorizes the licensing agency to investigate, as they deem necessary, the licensee's record and character to ascertain any and all information which may concern his/her qualifications and justification to be issued a license to carry a concealed weapon and release said agency of any and all liability arising out of such investigation.
So if youre worried about privacy, you probably shouldnt apply.
Old 02-14-2013, 7:24 PM

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I guess Python2's response is what I'm after. Speaking on the matter of theft, no it does not put my life in danger (well, it hasn't), but I do, however, live off of what is in my trailer, and off of what has been stolen (and yes both incidents have police reports). As a startup business, things that have been stolen from me are my livelihood and loosing them means not paying bills and rent, so that makes me biased when it comes to the matter of whether or not it's "good cause" (hence asking for other opinions!).

The "good cause" part though I think may be offset a little by the "moral character" side. Throughout my life I've regularly helped the sheriff's office with various efforts, volunteered my time with them providing services that helped them find criminals, etc., and even have a commendation from the the last sheriff. I think based on this I am still going to apply, though it may not be for a few months (waiting until the shop I go to get's that new S&W Shield that I've been wanting to try out), but if I do I will absolutely tell you all about the process and outcome, and include as much detail as I can in hopes that it will help others.

Thanks again for the comments, I REALLY appreciate it!!
Old 02-14-2013, 7:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. I guess Python2's response is what I'm after. Speaking on the matter of theft, no it does not put my life in danger (well, it hasn't), but I do, however, live off of what is in my trailer, and off of what has been stolen (and yes both incidents have police reports). As a startup business, things that have been stolen from me are my livelihood and loosing them means not paying bills and rent, so that makes me biased when it comes to the matter of whether or not it's "good cause" (hence asking for other opinions!).

The "good cause" part though I think may be offset a little by the "moral character" side. Throughout my life I've regularly helped the sheriff's office with various efforts, volunteered my time with them providing services that helped them find criminals, etc., and even have a commendation from the the last sheriff. I think based on this I am still going to apply, though it may not be for a few months (waiting until the shop I go to get's that new S&W Shield that I've been wanting to try out), but if I do I will absolutely tell you all about the process and outcome, and include as much detail as I can in hopes that it will help others.

If you don't have a hard core threat with stuff that won't hurt to be stolen or insured you will not get a license, right now anyway. You need to articulate a real need.
Old 02-14-2013, 7:48 PM
CGN Contributor

Theft can easily lead to violence and violence is a good cause. My suggestion is to go ahead and apply with all your good causes and all your good background. And as far as the S&W Shield goes it will be there long before your range date. Unless of course I get to the store first :-)
Old 02-14-2013, 7:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Theft can easily lead to violence and violence is a good cause. My suggestion is to go ahead and apply with all your good causes and all your good background. And as far as the S&W Shield goes it will be there long before your range date. Unless of course I get to the store first :-)
Please! This Sheriff wants more than this.
Old 02-14-2013, 8:11 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Please! This Sheriff wants more than this.
I am not sure where you got this information, but my experience was different.
Old 02-14-2013, 8:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I am not sure where you got this information, but my experience was different.
Look at some of my posts above regarding successful apps. Many have asked me to help and their good causes were rejected as i told them it would be. They are looking for hard core reasons now. They are going in and out like the tide for good cause right now under the political climate.
Old 02-14-2013, 9:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

The purpose of the carry permit is not to prevent theft. The purpose of the carry permit is that in case you come across the thieves, thieves who go for high price scores may be tempted to murder you.
Old 02-17-2013, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Just massage it a little bit and with the connections you mention I think you have a good chance. Certainly worth applying.

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 05-02-2013, 8:34 PM

I've done my 16 hr ccw class recently and I've clicked the link in the first post with San Mateo County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms and found the link dead.

Is there a new link? I've been searching via google on it and can't seem to pin point exact site. Even tried going through SMC website. Any help would be very useful!

Another thing, if you do carry, what do you carry?

Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm
Glock 27 9mm LWD barrel

Looking for holsters, mag carriers, & tacticool gear? Check out
Off The Grid Concepts
Old 05-03-2013, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchung139 View Post
I've done my 16 hr ccw class recently and I've clicked the link in the first post with San Mateo County CCW Policy, Guidelines and Forms and found the link dead.

Is there a new link? I've been searching via google on it and can't seem to pin point exact site. Even tried going through SMC website. Any help would be very useful!

Another thing, if you do carry, what do you carry?
This form will do (and the exemplar is useful to review).

http://calgunsfoundation.org/wp-cont...p_Fillable.pdf

Other than that form, you'll need to call the SO and make an appointment. Unless personnel have changed, Veronica Ruiz (who I believe is not in the office on Friday) is the person to speak with re: scheduling and specific questions. She's a very nice lady.
Old 05-04-2013, 7:16 PM

Quote:
This form will do (and the exemplar is useful to review).

http://calgunsfoundation.org/wp-cont...p_Fillable.pdf

Other than that form, you'll need to call the SO and make an appointment. Unless personnel have changed, Veronica Ruiz (who I believe is not in the office on Friday) is the person to speak with re: scheduling and specific questions. She's a very nice lady.
Thank you very much edwardm! If I can't contact the SO, I'll just have my neighbor, who's a Sheriff LT, try to help me get a hold of him, plus help me out on my app.

Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm
Glock 27 9mm LWD barrel

Looking for holsters, mag carriers, & tacticool gear? Check out
Off The Grid Concepts
Old 05-05-2013, 5:49 PM

To all of you that wish to carry conceald, just join the pd like i did.