Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 02-04-2012, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

OK, shooters...yet another multigun practice has passed.

We are having a very nice turn-out's lately, and today we had about 20 shooters show-up.

First-off, I'd like to give a big thumb's-up to the shooters who showed-up early to give me a hand in the stage construction. (Kudos, shooters).

I arrived at 0715 to open the range and put up the range flag. But upon entering the bay, I found that it was totally trashed, and stuff was all over the place. It took me over an hour just to take everything down and start assembling the stage from scratch. That was when the first shooters started to show-up and give me a hand. (Thanks Julio for being the first one there). After that, the rest of y'all started trickling in, and the extra muscle was really appreciated. (Clearing out the stage, and then dragging out the barracades/Texas Star/Polish Plate Rack on my own, left me wanting more help).

Let me goat trail for a moment, and let you into my mind for a moment.

I am really pleased to see how some of y'all have grown. Specifically in regards to stage building. I have a burden for teaching. (Give a person a fish, and you've fed him for a day. TEACH a person to fish, and you've fed him for a lifetime). And it makes my heart soar to see some of y'all getting the hang of what I am doing. You are retaining the shooting distances to steel targets, understanding the concepts of why the stage is supposed to be designed a certain way, and understanding the reasoning behind the way I build stages. (Every section of my stage is designed for the shooter to work on something new, and I am always talking to y'all as I build it so you understand this as well). Some of you guys are not newbies any longer...but Grasshoppers. (Students). Y'all are starting to understand why I do what I do when I design stages...and when asked to do something, you already know what to do, and how to properly build it. And when you "do" ask for my help, it is not for anything major, but for little specifics in how I want it set-up.

Kudos, shooters. Y'all are the newer generation of multigunners!!! (Pat yourselves on the back).

I also wanted to thank you for helping in tearing everything down when the practice was over. For one person it would have been a BEAR of a job. But with all of y'all, it was nary but a 5-minute job. This is an EXCEPTIONAL example to all the other shooters in the club. The Multigun Clan comes in, does their thing, and then CLEANS-UP after themselves. No one can say we go there, hog a bay all to ourselves, and then leave a mess. This will ensure we shed a good light on the Multigun Clan, and it will also ensure we always have a place on this range to practice what we love to do. Which in turn will yield great dividends in our individual skills when we actually compete in multigun matches.

OK...enough about y'alls stanky booties!!

Like I was saying when I was so rudely interrupted...you guys are doing good. But with every pro, there is a con. There was a small "brain flatulence" today, which caused a shooter to be DQ'd. (Said shooter and infraction need not be mentioned). I cannot overemphasize SAFETY, folks.

SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY!

When I say, "Police yourselves"...that is exactly what I mean.

Long story short - I petitioned during todays multigun committee meeting, the gods listened, and we now have an extra RRGC RO during every 1st Saturday's multigun practice to help watch the staging and pre-load areas. (Which is great).

OK...enough psycho-babbling. Thanks again for a safe and productive multigun practice. See y'all next month. And stay tuned to this thread for reminders.

In Christ: Raymond

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 02-04-2012 at 6:52 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondMillbrae View Post
Hey shooters,

But let me end with a very importand note: YOU MUST BE CLASSIFIED IN ONE OF THE ACTION SHOOTING DISCIPLINES, OR BE AN ORIENTATION CLASS GRADUATE IN ORDER TO SHOOT...PERIOD. No exceptions!

So I have been wanting to get into some sort of 3 gun or comp matches and these seem to be just what i am looking for. Question is where do i get classified or get an orientation class so I can start doing these? I live about an hour north of sacramento so the closer the better but if i have to ill drive to the bay area. Thanks for all the help in advanced, cant wait to start!!

-Kyle
Old 02-09-2012, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Hey shooters,

But let me end with a very importand note: YOU MUST BE CLASSIFIED IN ONE OF THE ACTION SHOOTING DISCIPLINES, OR BE AN ORIENTATION CLASS GRADUATE IN ORDER TO SHOOT...PERIOD. No exceptions!

So I have been wanting to get into some sort of 3 gun or comp matches and these seem to be just what i am looking for. Question is where do i get classified or get an orientation class so I can start doing these? I live about an hour north of sacramento so the closer the better but if i have to ill drive to the bay area. Thanks for all the help in advanced, cant wait to start!!

-Kyle
Old 02-09-2012, 1:36 AM
Veteran Member

Kyle, look at the other post entitled "SAFE MULTIGUNNER CLASS".

I teach the class at Richmond, and the next class is this Saturday.

Call me in tbe late afternoons, or nites...I work graveyard.

415 377.8042
Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 AM

Thanks Raymond!! I wont be able to make it to this saturdays class but ill try to make it to next months class for sure!! The next class next month for multi-gun is march 3rd correct? or the 17th? also for my AR do i have to use a BB and a 10 round mag or can I run my 30rd mags and no bullet button? Along the same lines can I use larger magazines for my handgun. Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by bigkyle72; 02-09-2012 at 10:19 AM..
Old 02-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

You can bring anything that is CA legal and division appropriate.
Old 02-09-2012, 3:01 PM
Veteran Member

Kyle,

you have my cell phone. Call me, and all your questions will be answered.

Cell phone is much easier than "Calgun-Phone-Tag".

March is fine.

Old 02-09-2012, 7:47 PM

Does anyone offer something like this is Southern California?
Old 02-10-2012, 5:23 PM

Just an FYI notice to everyone, RRGC multi-gun competitor safety requirements have been slightly revised recently.

Details are available at www.richmondhotshots.com
Old 02-27-2012, 8:13 AM
Veteran Member

Multigun practice this coming first Saturday in March.

Time to oil the long guns, and work on your different long gun disciplines.

There is a multigun match coming April 22nd at the RRGC, so be ready. No excuses. Thats what pravtice is for.

Old 03-02-2012, 1:40 PM

What's the action club's current policy on shotgun "pre-staging" during a match?
Old 03-02-2012, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseless View Post
What's the action club's current policy on shotgun "pre-staging" during a match?
What do you mean by "pre-staging". We have many matches where guns are "staged", meaning they are placed in a specified location and condition as part of the COF.
Old 03-02-2012, 4:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseless View Post
There will ne a shotgun preload table on the bay. Shooters can - under RO supervision - preload their magazine tubes. The shotguns will then be left on the preload table with chamber empty, chamber flag in place, and safety ON.

Under RO supervision, this will greatly increase the shooting rotation.

Old 03-02-2012, 4:34 PM
Veteran Member

Todd is correct.

We are speaking of tbe PRELOAD TABLE. Once the shooter is up to shoot, the second firearm will be PRESTAGED at another position somewhere on the course of fire. (Thete eill also be an ABANDONING POSITION somewhere along the course).

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 03-02-2012 at 4:37 PM..
Old 03-02-2012, 5:33 PM

Thanks for the update.
Old 03-04-2012, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

Good turnout of shooters this Saturday.

We were all safe, and everything ran smoothly.

I also had a sit-down with the club VP, and we discussed usage of bay 5 for our multigun practice. Bay 5 was previously off-limits due to "No Steel" on the bay. But we decided that shotgun on poppers was OK, and posed no threat to the overhead power lines.

Needless to say, we now have the "Go Ahead" to run the multigun practice on bay 5. So see y'all on bay 5 next month.

I also want to thank the shooters for arriving early and helping me to set-up the stage. I have a serious case of golfers elbow, and the elbow was SCREAMING all day. (Even when I set-up a pistol stage after the multigun practice). And thank you also for helping me to tear everything down when completed.

Y'all are setting a good example to all the other shooters sharing the bays. Kudos.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 PM

Ray, thanks for hosting this again!

Quote:
Good turnout of shooters this Saturday.

We were all safe, and everything ran smoothly.

I also had a sit-down with the club VP, and we discussed usage of bay 5 for our multigun practice. Bay 5 was previously off-limits due to "No Steel" on the bay. But we decided that shotgun on poppers was OK, and posed no threat to the overhead power lines.

Needless to say, we now have the "Go Ahead" to run the multigun practice on bay 5. So see y'all on bay 5 next month.

I also want to thank the shooters for arriving early and helping me to set-up the stage. I have a serious case of golfers elbow, and the elbow was SCREAMING all day. (Even when I set-up a pistol stage after the multigun practice). And thank you also for helping me to tear everything down when completed.

Y'all are setting a good example to all the other shooters sharing the bays. Kudos.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Old 04-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member

Had a good multigun practice today.

I was going on 2 hours of sleep, so I was pretty tired.

We built two nice stages today. (Thanks to all the shooters who came early to help with the build)!! I wanted to give you guys a chance to practice a few different things. Things which y'all have not done before, but will definitely see in future multigun matches. So today y'all had a chance to try:

Rooftop shooting
Opening a port with a shotgun
Shooting shotgun while moving
Forced shotgun reload practice
Engaging shotgun clays on a swinger
Thirty-five yard freestyle rifle shooting
Running up stairs and hosing close range targets with your rifle

All in all, it was very good practice for the shooters. I let you run the course a few times, and then gave you tips after y'all made your mistakes. This is the best way to see the contrast/benefit of the tips...or another way to say it, the error of your original ways. Ha ha ha. It paid-off, as everyone was faster at days end.

We had two DQ's today (both 180 violations), but they were IMMEDIATELY caught, and the shooters learned a valuable lesson. (Nothing beats a lesson learned by being DQ'd)!

Dan C also dropped-in, and he shared some really good tips to the guys. Thanks, Dan!

You guys are getting better and better. And like I have said before, these practices are to prepare you for the actual multigun matches. And the next multigun match is April 22nd.

Y'all need to be there. No excuses!

Once again, thanks again, shooters. It was a good day.

In Christ: Raymnd

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 04-07-2012 at 11:45 PM..
Old 04-09-2012, 6:27 PM

Thanks again Raymond! It was a fun shoot on Saturday! Both stages presented some challenges which made it very interesting!

-

Old 04-30-2012, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

OK, shooters...it's that time again.

There will be a multigun practice stage this Saturday, the 5th of May. (Cinco de Mayo).

Practice starts at 0930 hours...but if you can arrive early to help set-up, it would be mucho appreciated.

Multigun practice will be on bay 5.

See y'all there.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 04-30-2012 at 7:38 PM..
Old 04-30-2012, 7:35 PM

Quote:
OK, shooters...it's that time again.

There will be a multigun practice stage this Saturday, the 2nd of May.

Practice starts at 0930 hours...but if you can arrive early to help set-up, it would be mucho appreciated.

Multigun practice will be on bay 5.

See y'all there.

Sat is the 5th so people don't get confused
Old 04-30-2012, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALI SHOT DOC View Post
Sat is the 5th so people don't get confused
Woops...corrected.

I was looking at the June calendar.

Thanks.

Old 05-05-2012, 4:59 PM
Veteran Member

The multigun practice has come and gone. Another successful practice!

We had close to 20 shooters show-up today. It was 16 shotgun poppers and pipes (strategically placed around barrels and obstacles), and 9 metric targets for rifle. (Some freestyle, some through low ports, and one on the very fringe of the fault line).

All in all, the folks that are faithful in coming, are the ones that are improving the most. I swear, the difference between taking the intro MG class, and "now"...is pretty drastic. Kudos, shooters!!

No DQ's today, and faster and faster times. Today we went over the "Time Plus" scoring and rules. Not an in-depth class, but a cursory overview so everyone understood what it was, and how to play this specific game.

I like it when shooters learn something new. And I especially like the fellowship that some of us are establishing. Kewl beans.

Anyhoo...thanks for the help setting-up and tearing-down, shooters. Y'all are a great example to the other pistolero's on the range. I have heard many good things about how we (the multigun Clan) leave everything clean, organized, and maintain our range equipment. Kudos to y'all.

Lord willing, I will see you at the next MG match, or on the first Saturday of next month.

Old 05-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

As a point of curiosity...

Are most of the rifles that show up on match day featureless AR's built on off-list lowers? Or fixed 10-round magazine AR's with guys changing mags every 10 rounds? Or full-featured "registered assault weapons" with 30 or 60 round magazines?
Old 05-06-2012, 8:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post

Are most of the rifles that show up on match day featureless AR's built on off-list lowers? Or fixed 10-round magazine AR's with guys changing mags every 10 rounds? Or full-featured "registered assault weapons" with 30 or 60 round magazines?
Everything is compliant with state laws.

Solar Tactical grips are used, bullet-buttons are in place, or USI stocks are attached.

FYI, I do not feel too comfortable with these types of questions being asked online. There are a lot of anti-gunners perusing the web looking to "snare" folks for this kind of stuff, or looking to entrap clubs.

Suffice it to say, everything is CA compliant.

If you are interested in multigunning, check my other post on the INTRO TO MULTIGUNNING CLASS. (Click on link). The next class will be held on the 2nd week of June.

Old 05-06-2012, 1:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I never asked if anything was compliant or not. I asked what kind show up the most.
Old 05-06-2012, 4:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

If you want a specific percentage for each...umm...I am not a statistician, so I cannot help you there. But it sounds like you are interested. Call me, lets touch bases, and I can get you started in the multigun world...if you are interested.

Last edited by RaymondMillbrae; 05-06-2012 at 4:22 PM..
Old 05-08-2012, 3:31 PM

Per Request from a fellow shooter, here are some videos from last weekend's practice. If you would like me to shoot video of your run or use the camera for a run, let me know. I'd be more than happy to help.

-gary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y410tsJ7RaM

http://youtu.be/AZinSmAUt1U

http://youtu.be/w_xOQA5647Y
Old 05-08-2012, 3:41 PM
Veteran Member

Cool videos.

Here is an alternate way to post them.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

If you want a specific percentage for each...umm...I am not a statistician, so I cannot help you there. But it sounds like you are interested. Call me, lets touch bases, and I can get you started in the multigun world...if you are interested.

>sigh< You've got this thing about making up questions that I never asked. I write "most", you read "specific percentage".

Maybe someone else would care to answer.
Old 05-09-2012, 3:25 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
>sigh< You've got this thing about making up questions that I never asked. I write "most", you read "specific percentage".

Maybe someone else would care to answer.
Sounds likke you are interested in multigunning.

C'mon down someday and introduce yourself. We are always open on Saturdays for the regular pistol practice, and also every 1st Saturday of the month for multigun practice. (Once you have taken the pistol or multigun intro course).

All your questions will be answered by very compitent multigunners, national level multigunners, and world class multigunners. We have one of the best competition clubs in the nation, both for pistol and multigun.

Some of the latter folks are sponsored by well-known firearms and accessories manufacturers...and others travel the world for competition. Some you may see regularly on Top Shot or 3-Gun Nation. (Television programs).

Come down and introduce yourself.

Old 05-09-2012, 4:33 AM
In Memoriam

Sigstoker, I would of answered you the same way Raymond did. You asked, are most....?
To me, that is asking what percentage. It is hard to tell at a match what people are shooting. I only have time to stay with my squad, so I do not know what the other 80% of the shooters are using, and there is a real mix at any match. U-15 stocks, fin grips, Monster Man grip, Hammerhead, bullet buttons, Rad locks, Prince Buttons, and RAWs or Mini 14's, Kel-Tec's. I find it impolite to ask about shooters rifle configurations unless there is a specific part of their rifle I am interested in. Also all these AR's look alike in a rack to me. A good guess as to what are shooters using, is 1/3 RAWS, 1/3 Featureless, 1/3 Bullet Buttons.

Last edited by 3GunFunShooter; 05-09-2012 at 4:56 AM..
Old 05-18-2012, 3:57 PM
CGN Contributor

this looks fun.. and I have talked to a guy, Matt, about this before.. is he one of the trainers? lol
I will try this soon..
Old 05-18-2012, 7:05 PM
Veteran Member

Smurfette,

The next INTRO TO MULTIGUN CLASS will be on the 2nd week of June.

Contact me if you are interested in getting into multigunning.

By the way...no Matt here. Im the head honcho for multigunning classes or practice. (And a few of the multigun matches).

415 377.8042

Old 05-18-2012, 8:03 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Smurfette,

Contact me if you are interested in getting into multigunning.

By the way...no Matt here. Im the head honcho for multigunning classes or practice. (And a few of the multigun matches).

415 377.8042

I will go to a range on 6/2 or 6/3 because my AR 15 gets out of jail on the 29th haha
I'm a beginner shooter tho.. started shooting last July and I don't go to ranges that often.. just think I improved on shooting manual trap... I suck at shooting pistol... 7-yard kindergarten shooter >< will I be learning anything in the multogunning class? that's why I planned to master the basics of shooting shotguns, pistols and ARs first... any suggestion?
Old 05-18-2012, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfette View Post
I will go to a range on 6/2 or 6/3 because my AR 15 gets out of jail on the 29th haha
I'm a beginner shooter tho.. started shooting last July and I don't go to ranges that often.. just think I improved on shooting manual trap... I suck at shooting pistol... 7-yard kindergarten shooter >< will I be learning anything in the multogunning class? that's why I planned to master the basics of shooting shotguns, pistols and ARs first... any suggestion?
You need to sign-up for the INTRO TO MULTIGUNNING CLASS in order to practice at our range. There will be a multigun practice on the first Saturday if you want to come watch. (Bring eye's and ears).

The class will be on the second week of June, and there is still room if you are interested in participating.

The class covers all the fundamentals of range safety and the multigun rules.

CLICK HERE for more info.

See you at the range.

Old 05-18-2012, 9:10 PM
CGN Contributor

Thanks! I will sigh up after I try my AR first. I haven't touched it yet haha
Old 06-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

All right, shooters...

it's that time of month again.

Multigun practice Saturday, June 2nd, bay 5.

See y'all there!!

Old 06-02-2012, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Smurfette,

When will the next class be for multigun? The calendar doesn't seem to differentiate the two safe handgun classes.