Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > Bay Area Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2015, 6:26 PM

Default BLM 101! Help/ Advice

So I live in SF and been interested in going out to some of the BLM spots. Can someone recommend a place close to me? How far (hourly)of a drive is it? Any things I need before I do anything? Or if someone can show a FNG how it's done and have me tag along on a trip would be ideal. Thanks for any help!
Old 11-22-2015, 9:36 PM

I'm in San Jose and would like to know myself...

Quote:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
Old 11-23-2015, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

Conceptually it's pretty straightforward. People make it sound mysterious but it really isn't.

You pick a park (more on that later), hit the website for that BLM territory and make sure you understand the rules, like no shooting across a road or near a structure. You drive there. You pick an area with a good backstop, which really means you're going to shoot up against a hill. You set up your target stands. You shoot some stuff. You clean up everything including brass. You clean up the stuff the idiots that shot before you didn't clean up. Plan on bringing extra trash bags. Then you go home.

OK, if you shoot longer distances you might need to figure out a good spot, but most people blast away up close and you just need a chunk of hillside to catch the results. You just drive around until you find a safe spot that isn't being used already.

In terms of which park, I don't know which one's closest to you guys but Tumney Hills and Panoche, and Williams Hill would all be of potential interest, all in the Hollister BLM area.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister.html
Old 11-23-2015, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
Conceptually it's pretty straightforward. People make it sound mysterious but it really isn't.

You pick a park (more on that later), hit the website for that BLM territory and make sure you understand the rules, like no shooting across a road or near a structure. You drive there. You pick an area with a good backstop, which really means you're going to shoot up against a hill. You set up your target stands. You shoot some stuff. You clean up everything including brass. You clean up the stuff the idiots that shot before you didn't clean up. Plan on bringing extra trash bags. Then you go home.

OK, if you shoot longer distances you might need to figure out a good spot, but most people blast away up close and you just need a chunk of hillside to catch the results. You just drive around until you find a safe spot that isn't being used already.

In terms of which park, I don't know which one's closest to you guys but Tumney Hills and Panoche, and Williams Hill would all be of potential interest, all in the Hollister BLM area.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister.html
That's a great run down! Can you expand a little more on the longer distance shooting? What would you suggest if for example I wanted to take shots at a 1,00yrds or more? As for mid to short range can I go all out and set up like action shooting type of course (i.e. 3 gun) or something? Do I/ can I use steel, or is it just paper? Can I also shoot clays? I assume as long as I leave the area the same way as I came it'll be ok right?
Old 11-23-2015, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatetheGr8 View Post
That's a great run down! Can you expand a little more on the longer distance shooting? What would you suggest if for example I wanted to take shots at a 1,00yrds or more? As for mid to short range can I go all out and set up like action shooting type of course (i.e. 3 gun) or something? Do I/ can I use steel, or is it just paper? Can I also shoot clays? I assume as long as I leave the area the same way as I came it'll be ok right?
I believe the goal is to leave the area cleaner than when you arrive.
Old 11-28-2015, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael0594 View Post
I believe the goal is to leave the area cleaner than when you arrive.
Of course! So I got the green light to set up some courses of sorts, am I right?
Old 11-30-2015, 4:03 PM
Veteran Member

I've set up el prez type things and I'll bring some MGM auto poppers as well. I don't know why you couldn't set up some walls/barricades if you had something portable.

Sometimes you'll find big areas covered with clay fragments. Biodegradable? Not in that environment. I'll collect up a lot of the unbroken ones to take home, and maybe shoot up a few lightly damaged ones, figuring it's a net positive. But I don't think it's the best area to bring clays to. It's a lot of hassle cleaning it all up.

re: 1,000 yards - I'm sure it's possible but it would require some research and you could get it all set up and somebody might start shooting pistol along your flight line and then what do you do? I know I was out there once when somebody was shooting around 500 yards and we negotiated what angle they'd be shooting at where it wouldn't impact me. (pun intended)
Old 12-01-2015, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

I haven't shot on BLM land all that often but had a BLM ranger show up one of the times. He wanted to make sure we weren't dumping garbage (or shooting at it). We were shooting steel, that was fine with him. There were some 30rd magazines out but not in use when he showed up and he was convinced using them was a felony, so we didn't for the rest of the day (he got the concept of featureless re: no BB but not that no BB means 30s are ok).
Old 12-01-2015, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Check the map in the sig link. A lot, but not all, BLM spots are listed (Pine trees indicate BLM). If anyone has more, let me know and I'll do map updates.
Old 12-01-2015, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
Check the map in the sig link. A lot, but not all, BLM spots are listed (Pine trees indicate BLM). If anyone has more, let me know and I'll do map updates.
Awesome! Can you add the link on a post?
Old 12-01-2015, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljay View Post
I've set up el prez type things and I'll bring some MGM auto poppers as well. I don't know why you couldn't set up some walls/barricades if you had something portable.

Sometimes you'll find big areas covered with clay fragments. Biodegradable? Not in that environment. I'll collect up a lot of the unbroken ones to take home, and maybe shoot up a few lightly damaged ones, figuring it's a net positive. But I don't think it's the best area to bring clays to. It's a lot of hassle cleaning it all up.

re: 1,000 yards - I'm sure it's possible but it would require some research and you could get it all set up and somebody might start shooting pistol along your flight line and then what do you do? I know I was out there once when somebody was shooting around 500 yards and we negotiated what angle they'd be shooting at where it wouldn't impact me. (pun intended)
That's great! I'm sure as long that the fundamental rule is to leave the area the way you came, or cleaner! Set up a collapsible barricade/ wall that fits in a suv/truck sounds like I'm gtg! As for a 1,000yrds it only seems doable on the right circumstances and the right negotiation agreements. Thanks for your help!
Old 12-01-2015, 2:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Awesome! Can you add the link on a post?
sure

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kXIerPvCa1tk
Old 12-02-2015, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
SWEET! Thanks!!
Old 12-09-2015, 8:50 AM

We go up to Cedar Roughs a bunch, near Lake berryessa, bring all our targets and steel in, pack everything out. There's a great little spot we found with a perfect back stop. I can let you know the next time we go up.

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Old 12-09-2015, 7:53 PM

I agree with the notion of cleaning up after yourself, especially for those that decided to leave it a mess. We don't want to give the antis more ammo (pun intended) by leaving brass and garbage so that they can close it down.

I posted on another thread that we spent about 45 minutes cleaning up our mess and those left by shooters before us. Good thing there was 9 of us. Otherwise, it would've taken longer. What irritated me was the fact that they shot using steel casing. You've got to be the laziest person for not picking that up. All you need is a magnet and them suckers will easily be collected.

Also, we saw tons of clay. Whether they're biodegradable or not, it looked like crap.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2015, 7:58 PM

Not all BLM is open for target. Also be sure you confirm the area is not closed for fire danger. Many of So Cal BLM is closed for that reason. Do not get caught shooting in a closed area.
Old 12-09-2015, 8:51 PM
Clean Cut American Kid 🇺🇸
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So I live in SF and been interested in going out to some of the BLM spots. Can someone recommend a place close to me? How far (hourly)of a drive is it? Any things I need before I do anything? Or if someone can show a FNG how it's done and have me tag along on a trip would be ideal. Thanks for any help!
Things to bring besides what's been already mentioned? A fire extinguisher, no matter what season. And a good first aid kit with some basic knowledge of its use. Maybe take a class and learn some valuable skills.

Have fun and be safe.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:26 AM

i really want to go

need to plan a trip soon.

today would be a perfect day to be alone. Post storm weather keeps most people inside
Old 01-18-2016, 6:17 PM

Anybody know the closest BLM spot near San Francisco or somewhere down by Mountain View? Maybe somewhere close to Hayward would be nice to. Any help is much appreciated! Planning to go out soon with a bunch of buddies so it'll be fun and exciting!
Old 01-18-2016, 8:07 PM

See post #3.
Old 01-18-2016, 9:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Anybody know the closest BLM spot near San Francisco or somewhere down by Mountain View? Maybe somewhere close to Hayward would be nice to. Any help is much appreciated! Planning to go out soon with a bunch of buddies so it'll be fun and exciting!
You've gotta go South or East about 3 hours from SF. There's a map below
Old 01-22-2016, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeno View Post
See post #3.
I saw that but there's some that are not mentioned, or even mapped so I wanted to consider closer options. Also wanted to know if there were any closer than 3hrs drive ahaha basically a long shot but worth and attempt.
Old 01-22-2016, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

Well, basically we wouldn't be driving to those spots if there were good local alternatives. If you contact BLM you can find that they own land here and there but as noted above they don't necessarily allow target shooting, or maybe they allow it in one little area.
Old 02-05-2016, 9:46 PM

there's BLM land closer than we thought.
i have an iphone & recently purchased the public lands app for $3

it has an overlay mode, using it i found spots all over the bay & surrounding areas.

in Milpitas [in the foothills]

All around Berryessa

a lot of spots along Hwy 5 [crows landing, los banos, los gatos]

is everyone here always in a state of "what will they do to us next?" fear" - Me [1/14/16]

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
Old 02-05-2016, 9:53 PM

Subbed to this thread buddy- I need to take my Scar out somewhere longer than 100m..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2016, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMasterActual View Post
Subbed to this thread buddy- I need to take my Scar out somewhere longer than 100m..

Hey I'm with you to, since I picked up a "used" UNFIRED FDE 16 to go with my FDE 17.
Old 02-16-2016, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmere View Post

it has an overlay mode, using it i found spots all over the bay & surrounding areas.

All around Berryessa

Got some pics/ links?
Old 02-16-2016, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Hey I'm with you to, since I picked up a "used" UNFIRED FDE 16 to go with my FDE 17.

Pics or it didn't happen! I just picked up a MK12 Mod 1 last Friday. In search of a scope now

Old 02-16-2016, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Pics or it didn't happen! I just picked up a MK12 Mod 1 last Friday. In search of a scope now

16s is in jail till the 22nd ughh! While my 17s sitting in the safe, pics later today when I get home. Still waiting for my SE Seal order back in December.....2014. They messed up on my order so I sent it back no notice on eta. Received it December 2015 and sent it back early January this year hope it comes back soon! What scope you got on yours? Just found this pic in my photos on my phone it'll have to do go now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (16.7 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by NatetheGr8; 02-16-2016 at 6:41 AM..
Old 02-16-2016, 6:44 AM

Quote:
16s is in jail till the 22nd ughh! While my 17s sitting in the safe, pics later today when I get home. Still waiting for my SE Seal order back in December.....2014. They messed up on my order so I sent it back no notice on eta. Received it December 2015 and sent it back early January this year hope it comes back soon! What scope you got on yours?

Leupold Mk4 1.5-5 with the SPR Reticle. It's great glass but I have been thinking about swapping it to the Mod 1 and getting some Nightforce Glass for the 17s. Hopefully if I can swing it will have an ATACR F1 4-16.

Old 02-16-2016, 6:45 AM

As for the 16s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-16-2016, 6:47 AM

Quote:
As for the 16s

Is that a recessed BB? I've got a Raddlock on mine but I'm none too happy with it. (Who would be anyways?)

Old 02-16-2016, 6:50 AM

Receipt for the 16s is the only form of knowing it's mine!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (3.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-16-2016, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Is that a recessed BB? I've got a Raddlock on mine but I'm none too happy with it. (Who would be anyways?)

Yup bought another raddlock so I have some consistency between the 16 and my 17.
Old 02-16-2016, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Leupold Mk4 1.5-5 with the SPR Reticle. It's great glass but I have been thinking about swapping it to the Mod 1 and getting some Nightforce Glass for the 17s. Hopefully if I can swing it will have an ATACR F1 4-16.

That is sweet! I really only been using my 17 in a battle rifle role. Took it to a battle rifle class/course and some competitions but I do want some mag on it. Really close to buying an Elcan already the money is just burning a hole in my pocket. It's something that'll suit my role and needs. If I get a scope it'll be for the mk20.

Last edited by NatetheGr8; 02-16-2016 at 7:00 AM..
Old 02-17-2016, 9:29 AM

Quote:

All around Berryessa

My coworker told me that Tumey Hills is also a good spot! About a good hour and a half to, 2 hour drive!
Old 02-17-2016, 9:30 AM

Quote:

All around Berryessa

Can we get the app name?
Old 02-25-2016, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Can we get the app name?
+1

maybe a few screenshots or at least the app name so we can get some more info?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2016, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/maps/huntingmaps.html

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 02-26-2016, 3:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavvySlug9 View Post
+1

maybe a few screenshots or at least the app name so we can get some more info?

Thanks!
This is the only one I could find.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....uspubliclands

But read this:

Quote:
Kory White October 7, 2015
Don't waste your money This app is so inaccurate it will get you in trouble. The overlays show major ranches in my area as being on BLM land which are not. It also shows one of the most popular public lakes here as being on private land which is not so. Don't count on it in any way or you may find yourself with trespassing charges. I want my money back

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.