Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-21-2017, 3:31 PM

Default Safe won't open

I've a liberty safe with NON Electric mechinal dial , no problems there I turn the dial etc and the combo unlocks and then I turn the handle it's a 3ronged handle and it turns about half of it normal travels then the handle slips sometihing is binding up , the safe almost opens but liberty has the awesome slip clutch and the handle hits a rough spot you can feel it and the it slip and just tunes without opening and guess what the smallest amount of resistance in this motherf-er slips so now I can't open my safe

Going to call them Monday but I just wanted to see if anyone has any tips , I've had this safe for about two years and no problems until now

Thanks Will
Old 05-21-2017, 3:43 PM

Verify that the handle has been completely rotated in the open position before opening the door. Check the Allen set screw located on the front (center of handle under sticker) or side of the handle hub for tightness. Some safes are installed with a unique handle clutch mechanism. Improper personal storage or over tightening the door adjusting mechanism may cause the clutch to temporarily engage. Try pushing in on the door while pulling out and turning the handle. You may have to repeat this step several times until door is open.
Old 05-21-2017, 4:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If the handle spins then the clutch has been tripped. There's a bar that is designed to break when excessive force is used. Somebody tried to force it open. It's going to have to be drilled.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-21-2017, 4:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If something inside fell against the door, try opening it again and push the door in and try turning the handle.
Old 05-21-2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
If something inside fell against the door, try opening it again and push the door in and try turning the handle.
^^^

In this life you either push or get shoved.

Better to die on your feet then live on your knees.

For evil to succeed, all it takes is for good men to do nothing.
Old 05-21-2017, 5:48 PM

My buddy bought a safe, not a Liberty and within a month had that problem. I told him it was his young kids hanging on the handle. He did get the company to replace the door IW after a long fight about it. They insisted someone forced the handle. Definitely keep kids away, that handle is just begging them to hang on it.
Old 05-21-2017, 7:41 PM

If you sent the paperwork in when you bought it I think liberty will open it for free

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 8:32 PM

Quote:
If something inside fell against the door it would just rest against the door carpet.
The mechanism is sealed in the door.
Old 05-22-2017, 6:58 AM
Veteran Member

Youtube vids will show you how to get into it in 7 minutes.
Old 05-22-2017, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTE View Post
If something inside fell against the door it would just rest against the door carpet.
They are suggesting that something is leaning against the door, putting enough pressure on the lugs to prevent the handle from overcoming the resistance without slipping the clutch.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain..."
Roy Batty
Old 05-22-2017, 7:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Fine then put your shoulder against the door and see if it is wedged or not. My safe door rattles a bit.
Old 05-22-2017, 8:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Alot of people store ammo in the safe. If it fell, yes it would rest on the door lining. But it will put pressure on the door itself and in turn put pressure on the pins that keep the door closed. Some safes may have 8 or 10 pins to secure the door. Better safes have those locking pins all around the door. Not just on the open side of the door.
Old 05-22-2017, 8:53 AM
Calguns Addict

+1 on you tube for insight.
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 05-22-2017, 1:06 PM

Wink

It weird it almost opens the the dial clicks in and I turn the handle it moves about 3/4 through its normal,travel then th ehandle slips , so yes the clutch has slipped but I thought it reset but I guess I'm wrong door rattles it got lugs top bottom left and right side

Last edited by IRONWILL; 05-22-2017 at 1:10 PM..
Old 05-22-2017, 1:07 PM

I checked out you tube all I can find is vids Of your moms

Last edited by IRONWILL; 05-22-2017 at 2:45 PM..
Old 05-22-2017, 1:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONWILL View Post
It weird it almost opens the the dial clicks in and I turn the handle it moves about 3/4 through its normal,travel then th ehandle slips , so yes the clutch has slipped but I thought it reset but I guess I'm wrong door rattles it got lugs top bottom left and right side
If your door rattles, it is not binding the lugs.
Old 05-22-2017, 1:18 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
If the handle spins then the clutch has been tripped. There's a bar that is designed to break when excessive force is used. Somebody tried to force it open. It's going to have to be drilled.
What's odd is this happen once before and it opened I'm the only one that uses it and I don't have kid maybe some got inside my house but my alarm never went off and nothing is missing yep just check the wife is still here
Old 05-22-2017, 1:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I check out you tube all I can find is vids Of your moms
Say that to her face. https://youtu.be/v1yLj-esWRk
Old 05-22-2017, 3:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
What's odd is this happen once before and it opened I'm the only one that uses it and I don't have kid maybe some got inside my house but my alarm never went off and nothing is missing yep just check the wife is still here
Maybe you have a different clutch mechanism than I'm familiar with. Have you called Liberty?

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 05-22-2017, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Going to call them Monday but I just wanted to see if anyone has any tips , I've had this safe for about two years and no problems until now
Thanks Will
So did you call?
Old 05-22-2017, 4:07 PM

Smile

Quote:
Maybe you have a different clutch mechanism than I'm familiar with. Have you called Liberty?
Of course not lol I will tomorrow
Old 05-22-2017, 4:07 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless America View Post
Say that to her face. https://youtu.be/v1yLj-esWRk
Hahahah
Old 05-22-2017, 4:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Should have bought a Sturdy Safe.
Old 05-22-2017, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Alot of people store ammo in the safe. If it fell, yes it would rest on the door lining. But it will put pressure on the door itself and in turn put pressure on the pins that keep the door closed. Some safes may have 8 or 10 pins to secure the door. Better safes have those locking pins all around the door. Not just on the open side of the door.
Ok Ammo cans wedged against the door.
I could buy into that.

My Liberty and AMSEC both have 14 pins and you can still push the door in a bit.
Old 05-22-2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Ok Ammo cans wedged against the door.
I could buy into that.

My Liberty and AMSEC both have 14 pins and you can still push the door in a bit.
There is no mom in her just a **** load of guns and I guy on the right side my Barrett could of move but still it's so,close to opening and just as should unlock the handle slips
Old 05-22-2017, 10:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
There is no mom in her just a **** load of guns and I guy on the right side my Barrett could of move but still it's so,close to opening and just as should unlock the handle slips
Right before.rhe handle slips, start pounding on the door and say " let me in "
Old 05-22-2017, 10:06 PM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Just nedd some iron will. Or will and iron.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:08 PM

Push in on the door while turning handle
Old 05-23-2017, 7:31 AM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
Just nedd some iron will. Or will and iron.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read that bro.
Thanks
Old 05-23-2017, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa Defense View Post
Push in on the door while turning handle
Pushing alone, may not help.
Here is a way to determine if something fell against the door and is applying back pressure to the door, causing a bind in the bolts, therefore causing the clutch to engage.

Buy or borrow a pipe clamp set along with a 2, 3 or 4 foot piece of pipe (dependant on the depth of the safe), threaded on at least one end.
This is the type http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pony-Adju...-2PK/100132368

Put the clamp in the center left of the door (9 o'clock) and apply enough inward pressure to take any strain off the bolts. See it you can then fully retract the bolts without the clutch engaging. if so, take the clamp off and your in.

If this doesn't work, there are two other possible causes. Was there a towel or rag/cloth in there? fabric could have been caught at the edge when the bolts were thrown, and a bolt may have carried part of fabric in the bolt hole when you locked it last. Did you feel unusual resistance the last time you locked it? Use a heavy rubber mallet to pound around the perimeter of the door as you put pressure constant pressure on the handle. Not enough for the clutch to engage, but enough to slowly retract the bolts while pounding / working your way around the door.

Lastly, (worst case scenario) part of the internal mechanism came loose and one of the re-lockers fired..... either on the lock itself, or the bolt assembly. In other words, the safe thinks someone is trying to break into it. Re-lockers are designed to thwart a forced entry attack. Try the above fixes first. Failing that, PM me. I'll come back and post your options if you think the re-lockers are your problem
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice

Last edited by Southwest Chuck; 05-23-2017 at 8:49 AM..
Old 05-23-2017, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I missed this part. These symptoms are generally indicative of a re-locker being activated. It still could be one of the other problems though, so rule them out first. See what Liberty has to say and get back to us.

Good Luck
I am humbled at the efforts of so many Patriots on this and other forums, CGN, CGF, SAF, NRA, CRPF, MDS etc. etc. I am lucky to be living in an era of a new awakening of the American Spirit; One that embraces it's Constitutional History, and it's Founding Fathers vision, especially in an age of such uncertainty that we are now in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Go cheap you will always have cheap and if you sell, it will sell for even cheaper. Buy the best you can every time.
^^^ Wise Man. Take his advice
Old 05-23-2017, 9:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I checked out you tube all I can find is vids Of your moms

Haaahaaa! I love Calguns!

(And I have a great appreciation for YouTube.)
Old 05-23-2017, 8:06 PM

Liberty is send there local lock smith out fingers crosse and thanks for all the e help
Old 05-23-2017, 8:07 PM
Banned

I suggest you use some shaped charges to blow it open.
Old 05-23-2017, 8:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Liberty is send there local lock smith out fingers crosse and thanks for all the e help
Liberty guy will get it open one way or another...

iTrader Feedback Link
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1885547
Old 05-23-2017, 9:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bulletBarney View Post
Liberty guy will get it open one way or another...
OP can open it in a few minutes with a pry bar and an angle grinder.

Old 05-24-2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
OP can open it in a few minutes with a pry bar and an angle grinder.
That's how I got my ammo safe
The locksmith cut and drilled the living crap out of a mid grade safe to get it open after 3 hours...

I knew the GM and delivered the store a new safe and hauled the old one off to dispose of it.
After hours of bodywork and welding and a splash of color.....Whala.

Tilt your head a bit, Not sure why the pictures are sideways? they are straight in my gallery

I wish I could find the pictures of the Proudly made in America (weak penetrated welds) that let loose after 2 years of daily use.

Last edited by RTE; 11-20-2017 at 5:58 PM..
Old 05-24-2017, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is the spell check!
Old 05-24-2017, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by denpython View Post
Maybe it is the spell check!
Maybeso me peop le getflusterd anddon't proofreadthe ir post s.

Good luck OP.

Last edited by johnthomas; 05-24-2017 at 10:02 PM..
Old 05-24-2017, 10:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
Maybeso me peop le getflusterd anddon't proofreadthe ir post s.

Good luck OP.