Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 09-30-2020, 8:04 PM

Range Masters has the CCW range qualification requirements posted inside the range. They may also have a copy at the front counter.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:51 PM

The guy that does the training at Rangemasters is a retired cop from the central valley. He tweaks the qualification to make it a little more realistic/stressful. He has you moving before, during and after firing--nothing crazy, but it's not standing still at the line.

Even with that, as long as you're halfway competent, you'll pass. It really isn't that difficult.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Editor/Founder
RestrictedArms.com
Old 10-31-2020, 8:49 PM

Here is my experience with CCW process in SLO county.

TL;DR - It took me about 6 weeks, I think the sheriffs dept actively wants responsible CCW holders, and wants you to succeed. I would not recommend the class at RangeMasters.

Details:
* I'm a rural north county resident, in SLO county Sheriffs Dept jurisdiction. Not city. I've had a couple of minor traffic violations in the last few years, but no other major police interactions in my past.
* My good cause was related to my business(es), the hours, and locations where I work, the people I work with, and occasionally dealing with cash. That being said, I'm not anybody special, and while I was able to write a halfway decent good cause, I don't think I'm in the top tier of people with obvious strong cases of good cause.
* My 3 character reference letters were from a friend, a coworker, and a friend/coworker. One of which is someone I would consider to have a somewhat prominent (and good) reputation in the community. Not everyone was local to SLO county.
* They provisionally approved my application within a couple weeks, with zero phone, or in person contact. I can't imagine anything easier.
* I took my class at RangeMasters. I'll say that the class got the job done, but I was not impressed with the class. It was primarily a DVD video based class. In my opinion, the instructor (Ken) doesn't take the class seriously. Everybody in the class asked questions that were left unanswered, while the instructor took the opportunity to tell useless anecdotes about things completely unrelated to CCW rules, regulations, practicalities, etc. For example, we never once had a conversation about some of the intricacies about where you could carry and where you couldn't.
* The range qualification required hitting 19 of 23 rounds in the inner 2/3rds of a silhouette target. You shoot from 5,7.5, and 15 yards (total of 23, not 23 each). You shoot from your holster, standing still, in a line with other people qualifying. There were no "stresses" or anything funky for the qualification portion. I'd consider it a very easy qualification. You need to qualify with both guns, and I'd definitely recommend putting two guns on your permit.
* The interview with the Sheriffs Dept was pretty straight forward. It started with getting a full fingerprinting (all 10 fingers, both full hands, etc) for DOJ background check, and taking a mug shot (Which doesn't actually end up on your permit, FWIW). Then I sat down with the deputy who I'd describe as stern, not particularly "friendly", but helpful, and in my opinion, he wanted me to succeed. He quizzed me with a few scenarios, which frankly I got wrong in a few cases. He talked about a lot of the day to day details about carrying. Things like where you can carry, or not, holsters, carry methods, storing your gun, etc (all things that would have been nice to learn in the class). We talked about my good cause, which included a few more scenario "tests". I would say my interview performance was only a C+, or B-, but I passed. There were no tricks, and they never tried to tell me I failed to test my reaction, etc. It was all pretty normal.
* The DOJ background check took a week or so
* When you get your DOJ approval back, you have to pay your remaining $80 balance, then schedule an appt to go pickup your CCW card, which took about a week.
* All in all, the process took about 6 weeks, start to finish.
* IMO, the sheriffs dept want responsible CCW holders, and wants people to succeed with the process.

Last edited by md97; 10-31-2020 at 8:51 PM..
Old 11-24-2020, 2:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I spoke with the gal dealing w SLO CCWs and she said residents of those 7 cities that the SO requires to apply with their PD chief can apply with the sheriff after a denial and must include the letter of denial.

So don’t feel bad you get two chances for a CCW

SLOSO CCW Unit: 805-781-4575

ETA: No, I don’t live in SLO Co.

Last edited by Paladin; 02-17-2021 at 9:42 AM..
Old 12-15-2020, 2:07 PM

Bump... will be applying with Grover Beach, any tips?

Thanks!

Last edited by Moparmotel; 12-15-2020 at 5:09 PM..
Old 12-15-2020, 2:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just the usual: read all my posts in my CCW Application Advice thread pinned at the top of this subforum and the last couple pages of posts in this thread.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-16-2020, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmotel View Post
Bump... will be applying with Grover Beach, any tips?

Thanks!
Contact me to discuss.
CRPA Mag Must Retract Erroneous Bulletin Slamming Gun Trusts
Radio ads: http://Protect.FM
FREE training: http://guntrust.org
FREE design meeting: http://Protect.LIFE
Old 03-23-2021, 9:46 PM

Hey all, was hoping to get some insight into the new SLO PD Chief stance on CCW before I apply. I think I have a very solid GC related to my profession that would justify seeking standard unrestricted license, and previously carried in OC for about 5 years before moving here without any issues obviously. I know that they require everyone to go through PD, but I really don't like the idea for one having to pay all the money for PD which includes cost of a psych eval, just for them to deny in the end due to being strict and refer to SO, and for two that if I have a denial on my record it may hang me up if I go to some other county someday. Maybe they would approve me, but before I toss my hat in the ring, any insight on the PD Chief and current SO Sheriff and other cities and their PD issuance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by OCResident01; 03-23-2021 at 9:49 PM..
Old 04-17-2021, 6:55 PM

I may be relocating to nipomo next month. Lompoc police denied my ccw app Even tho I had a letter from my employer stating I carry 10k or more in cash. Will slo county sheriff issue for this cause?
Old 04-29-2021, 5:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba542009 View Post
I may be relocating to nipomo next month. Lompoc police denied my ccw app Even tho I had a letter from my employer stating I carry 10k or more in cash. Will slo county sheriff issue for this cause?
PD wont but the Sheriff probably will if there is a reason for danger. Just carrying cash isnt enough. You need to state that other employees know that you carry the cash or where you pick up or deliver the cash is a long response time for the Sheriff. There needs to be a reason for possible danger to yourself while carrying the cash.

Last edited by offrdmania; 04-29-2021 at 5:35 AM..
Old 04-29-2021, 3:42 PM

Is there a sheriff sub station in nipomo? I will be living on a acre parcel on outskirts of nipomo
Old 04-30-2021, 5:22 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For any who don’t know SCOTUS has taken a major gun rights case. It should be heard in the fall and decision released sometime before 2022 July 01. The case has to do with our Right to Bear Arms. More at: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1676407
Old 04-30-2021, 10:05 AM

Are you talking about the open carry case in New York?
Old 04-30-2021, 10:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba542009 View Post
Are you talking about the open carry case in New York?
New York? Yes
Open carry? No, concealed carry
Old 05-01-2021, 2:07 PM

Default Anyone in Atascadero with a CCW?

Hello everyone, I am a resident in Atascadero. I was wondering if anyone has had any success with the new chief coming in, I turn 21 in a year. I feel like I have "ok" good cause. I have a physical disability that will make it nearly impossible to flee from an attack, I usually work late at night, leaving around 12-1 AM, and there's usually homeless people and sketchy people around when I leave work, and I go shooting often on BLM lands, where I bring many rifles and pistols with me, and my spot has lots of teenagers there vandalizing the place, drinking and doing drugs. I was just wondering if anyone here had any experience with APD.

Thank you!
-Sam
Old 06-14-2021, 11:52 AM

I officially moved to nipomo 2 weeks ago what kind of good cause is required for slo county sheriff for ccw
Old 07-11-2021, 12:21 PM

Any word on the new SLO PD Chief's policy on CCW? Any SLO region county or city CCW news?
Old 10-03-2021, 8:23 PM

Bump... Any new news on CCW by SLOSO or SLOPD?
Old 10-17-2021, 9:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

In case some of you would rather wait for the courts than fight at the local level you may be waiting for years more… see https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...6#post26268406
Old 10-21-2021, 6:10 PM

"fight" at the local level... well I don't see much of a movement or community outcry over this matter here, as far as I can tell. In this county, the current sheriff defers to the local municipalities to issue and if they do not he will then allow you to apply with his agency and may issue. I'm kind of surprised that its not more of a green county up here to be honest considering it's quite rural in ways, pretty conservative, and the kinds of public safety issues that do exist here. At any rate, I'm still just trying to find out info about the local municipalities and their stances on issue, as we have some new chiefs. Personally, I'd rather not get a denial on my record and then have to go up to the sheriff for a "maybe" issue. Maybe that's their game plan.
Old 10-22-2021, 12:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

A denial for insufficient GC won’t hurt you in future applications.
Old 01-02-2022, 7:46 AM

Paso Robles Police Department has appointed Damien Nord as the new police chief. It appears he has previously served mostly in Kern County and is moving from Bakersfield. As a current resident of Paso Robles, I’m curious to know Nord’s stance on CCW issuance? Hoping that coming from Kern County he may be CCW friendly for general self defense or recreational.

I do not own my own business or have significant risk during work as I am a civil engineer. I am planning to submit on a recreational good cause of spending a lot of time alone hiking, backpacking, mountain biking, shooting/hunting, and riding motorcycles. These activities are often done in rural areas of Big Sur, Los Padres National Forest, and Carrizo Plain. During most of these activities, I am using thousands of dollars of gear that have a high resale value/demand and would put me at an elevated risk over the general public. Any feedback on if this type of good cause has been historically accepted by Paso Robles PD or the County Sheriff?
Old 01-21-2022, 7:52 PM

Hey all some great information thank you all so much!

Question: I have 2 good causes outlined. One around my job and one that’s more recreational.

Any recommendations on what our Sheriff takes more stock in? Anyone approved with more of a “I drive and hike all over Big Sur, slo county, Carrizo plains, rock front etc good cause?
Old 01-22-2022, 5:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ89 View Post
Hey all some great information thank you all so much!

Question: I have 2 good causes outlined. One around my job and one that’s more recreational.

Any recommendations on what our Sheriff takes more stock in? Anyone approved with more of a “I drive and hike all over Big Sur, slo county, Carrizo plains, rock front etc good cause?
Best to read through my CCW Application Advice thread pinned at the top of the forum too
Old 01-22-2022, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Best to read through my CCW Application Advice thread pinned at the top of the forum too
Have done and will search more, but I haven’t seen anything there about Ian Parkinson’s office approving CCWs for recreation.

All good…just wondered if anyone in the county had any experience with this good cause here in slo.
Old 01-22-2022, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Apologies, I get it now. Looking in the Light Green and Yellow areas. Sorry about that…
Old 01-22-2022, 7:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ89 View Post
Have done and will search more, but I haven’t seen anything there about Ian Parkinson’s office approving CCWs for recreation.

All good…just wondered if anyone in the county had any experience with this good cause here in slo.
I’m not in SLO, but … just go back through the last 3 years of this thread, from the start of his current term as sheriff (2019 Jan).

All CA sheriffs consider work related risks (which you face to get paid), stronger GC than recreational activities related risks (which choose to face, they’re optional).
Old 01-22-2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
I’m not in SLO, but … just go back through the last 3 years of this thread, from the start of his current term as sheriff (2019 Jan).

All CA sheriffs consider work related risks (which you face to get paid), stronger GC than recreational activities related risks (which choose to face, they’re optional).
Got it thanks!
Old 04-22-2022, 7:45 AM

I submitted my CCW application to the City of Paso Robles Police Department on February 6, 2022. I submitted a recreational good cause stating that I spend a lot of time in the Los Padres NF, Big Sur, Carizzo Plain, and other areas where there is limited to no cell phone service and long police response times, often with expensive camping, motorcycle, mountain bike, and hunting equipment and that I fear I will be targeted in order for these items to be stolen and my life endangered in the process. I also attached a few recent articles from the Paso Police Department and SLO Sheriff's office on the increase of break-ins and theft at popular trailheads in the County.

I received a denial for "insufficient good cause" on March 3, 2022. Luckily, they do not charge any fees for the initial submittal, so this was free to submit.

In the denial letter, they included the contact information for who at the Paso PD handles the CCW program, and I was thinking about calling to discuss my good cause statement and what good cause statements they have typically accepted in the past. I am also curious to know if they are following the NYRSPA v. Bruen and if they will be adjusting their good cause requirements based on this case opinion, or if they will wait for additional cases to be tried in CA first.
Old 04-22-2022, 8:46 AM
Veteran Member

Now that you've been denied by your local PD, you should resubmit your application to SLO county sheriff. Might have better luck there.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 04-22-2022, 2:26 PM

I would NOT mention the SCOTUS case. I would also include articles on increased animal attacks; they don't have to be local. I used (San Diego County) articles from all over the state.
Old 04-22-2022, 7:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

NYSRPA decision should be released within 10 weeks. I’d wait for that before making next move. JMO
Old 05-06-2022, 10:45 PM

Hey guys. Just joined the forum after creeping on google for about a year and doing some “reddit research”. I’d be surprised if someone on here didn’t recognize me (from arroyo grande) by my username, as everyone around here knows that I own a hybrid battery replacement business (which will remain nameless for the time being). I travel up and down the state of California and in all bordering states installing hybrid batteries for customers (Priuses, etc) and I go to many areas that aren’t the best.

I recently applied for my CCW after about a year of doing research and getting some range time. My best friend also received his CCW through the SD during the heart of COVID in about a month, so I said what the heck and I ended up applying Sunday evening. Here’s what I used and what I have going for me. I have also started the processes and have appointments scheduled for my next trips to Oregon and Washington. WA seems a bit easier for out of state stuff, but both are leaps and bounds easier than California (as none of you have to guess). Anyway, here’s what I did.

3 letters of recommendation all from law enforcement officers: 1 deputy sheriff (Santa Barbara county), 1 from Bakersfield PD and 1 retired CHP.

My “good cause” letter included the following reasoning:

- I am a business owner who is subject to carrying large amounts of physical cash between jobs. I also carry at any time between $10-50k worth of tools, diagnostic equipment, etc in my truck and trailer very often going between jobs. Often times I travel to inner cities with all that I listed above, and due to customer schedules, I am subject to early morning or late night battery installations in areas that one would not consider “safe” especially with what I carry in my truck and trailer. Being in my line of work, I am also dealing with a TON of catalytic converter theft possibilities, being that the prius is the number one stolen catalytic converter these days. Which brings me to my next and strongest point.

In early morning of July 6th of 2021 (got the date and time precisely from Santa Cruz PD) I was witness to a catalytic converter theft, which I attempted to start. That morning I was on my way to change out a customer battery early in the morning when I came across a prius pulled up next to another prius with hazard lights on. As I approached, noticed 2 men wearing COVID masks, saw a jack on the ground and a sawz-all and knew right away what was under way. I rolled down the window and yelled “HEY!” Followed by some expletives, and quickly drove away, calling 911. About 5 seconds after I drove away, I heard 3 gun shots. I reported exactly what happened to the dispatcher, and I met 2 officers roughy 5 minutes later, who came in lights and sirens on, due to it being a shots fired call. When they arrived, they asked me to identify that the catalytic converter had been stolen if I could, so I grabbed my flash light out of my tool bag, crawled on the ground and showed them the hole where it had been cut away. I also pointed out the 3 spent 9mm casings on the ground for the officers, as they finished writing their report. I took one of the officers cards and went about my day. Luckily, I mentioned to her I was eventually applying for my CCW, and she said she would vouch for me. I kept her badge number and name written down on my notes in my phone in case I lost the card.

I reached out to try to get a hold of her for a potential letter of recommendation, but didn’t get an answer. So I described the incident, said listed her name and badge number and wrote on the application to contact her or the department for verification.

I don’t know if a much stronger good cause than this along with the nature of my business, carrying cash and expensive equipment and the very possibility of this happening again being a very solid chance as my other mobile installers have seen these incidents happen in person as well.

I think I should be approved. At first, I thought being in my mid 20’s wouldn’t be great on an application, until my best friend, whom I live with, that is a year older than I am, got his. His reasonings and letters of recommendation were also weaker as well.

Only thing I am worried about is a few speeding tickets over the years. I’ve calmed down a lot, though. I don’t even drink alcohol, never tried it.

Anywho, wish me luck. I preemptively signed up for a CCW class, as I plan to do a few out of state CCW’s as well besides Oregon and Washington because I travel so much.

Wish me luck guys.
Old 05-06-2022, 11:22 PM

To clarify, my friend who received his and I live in rural Arroyo Grande. I guess it’s all somewhat rural. But we live off 227, and we found out it was sheriff jurisdiction when we started shooting on our property out here. Sheriffs have come out 3 different times (we call in to let them know we are shooting before they arrive). Every time they have been super cool, 1 dude even checked out what we were shooting and we started laughing about how stupid this state is with AR compliance rules.
Old 05-21-2022, 6:34 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFixPrius View Post
Hey guys. Just joined the forum after creeping on google for about a year and doing some “reddit research”. I’d be surprised if someone on here didn’t recognize me (from arroyo grande) by my username, as everyone around here knows that I own a hybrid battery replacement business (which will remain nameless for the time being). I travel up and down the state of California and in all bordering states installing hybrid batteries for customers (Priuses, etc) and I go to many areas that aren’t the best.

I recently applied for my CCW after about a year of doing research and getting some range time. My best friend also received his CCW through the SD during the heart of COVID in about a month, so I said what the heck and I ended up applying Sunday evening. Here’s what I used and what I have going for me. I have also started the processes and have appointments scheduled for my next trips to Oregon and Washington. WA seems a bit easier for out of state stuff, but both are leaps and bounds easier than California (as none of you have to guess). Anyway, here’s what I did.

3 letters of recommendation all from law enforcement officers: 1 deputy sheriff (Santa Barbara county), 1 from Bakersfield PD and 1 retired CHP.

My “good cause” letter included the following reasoning:

- I am a business owner who is subject to carrying large amounts of physical cash between jobs. I also carry at any time between $10-50k worth of tools, diagnostic equipment, etc in my truck and trailer very often going between jobs. Often times I travel to inner cities with all that I listed above, and due to customer schedules, I am subject to early morning or late night battery installations in areas that one would not consider “safe” especially with what I carry in my truck and trailer. Being in my line of work, I am also dealing with a TON of catalytic converter theft possibilities, being that the prius is the number one stolen catalytic converter these days. Which brings me to my next and strongest point.

In early morning of July 6th of 2021 (got the date and time precisely from Santa Cruz PD) I was witness to a catalytic converter theft, which I attempted to start. That morning I was on my way to change out a customer battery early in the morning when I came across a prius pulled up next to another prius with hazard lights on. As I approached, noticed 2 men wearing COVID masks, saw a jack on the ground and a sawz-all and knew right away what was under way. I rolled down the window and yelled “HEY!” Followed by some expletives, and quickly drove away, calling 911. About 5 seconds after I drove away, I heard 3 gun shots. I reported exactly what happened to the dispatcher, and I met 2 officers roughy 5 minutes later, who came in lights and sirens on, due to it being a shots fired call. When they arrived, they asked me to identify that the catalytic converter had been stolen if I could, so I grabbed my flash light out of my tool bag, crawled on the ground and showed them the hole where it had been cut away. I also pointed out the 3 spent 9mm casings on the ground for the officers, as they finished writing their report. I took one of the officers cards and went about my day. Luckily, I mentioned to her I was eventually applying for my CCW, and she said she would vouch for me. I kept her badge number and name written down on my notes in my phone in case I lost the card.

I reached out to try to get a hold of her for a potential letter of recommendation, but didn’t get an answer. So I described the incident, said listed her name and badge number and wrote on the application to contact her or the department for verification.

I don’t know if a much stronger good cause than this along with the nature of my business, carrying cash and expensive equipment and the very possibility of this happening again being a very solid chance as my other mobile installers have seen these incidents happen in person as well.

I think I should be approved. At first, I thought being in my mid 20’s wouldn’t be great on an application, until my best friend, whom I live with, that is a year older than I am, got his. His reasonings and letters of recommendation were also weaker as well.

Only thing I am worried about is a few speeding tickets over the years. I’ve calmed down a lot, though. I don’t even drink alcohol, never tried it.

Anywho, wish me luck. I preemptively signed up for a CCW class, as I plan to do a few out of state CCW’s as well besides Oregon and Washington because I travel so much.

Wish me luck guys.

That may not be enough because those situations you could walk away. The first rule of CCW carry is to not involve yourself unless you are directly involved. Observe and report, you are not law enforcement and doing so is the fastest way to lose your CCW license.
Old 05-21-2022, 6:42 AM
Veteran Member

That may not be enough OP. Those situations you could easily walk away. The first rule of CCW carry is that you are not law enforcement and are to only observe and report. Do not engage unless you are directly at harm. Engaging without being in direct harm is a quick way to lose your CCW.
Also, just having tools and cash isn’t enough, all can be replaced. They want to know where you could receive bodily harm. Is there a location that you frequent with a slow law enforcement arrival time, is there a reason why you or your family could be harmed where you couldn’t walk away? That’s what they want to know.
Old 05-21-2022, 9:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

IFixPrius newbie, welcome!

I just stopped in to say the US Supreme Court will decide a major case about bearing arms before July 4th. We expect to win it. If we do the need for Good Cause may be eliminated. So if you get denied before July 4th you should ask to appeal your denial or reapply ASAP.
Old 06-11-2022, 3:54 AM

Well, I was approved, with flying colors I might add (according to the easy results). They said it’s taking up to 8 weeks right now to get what they need from DOJ. Pretty lame, but I am glad that I am being granted a CCW.
Old 06-11-2022, 3:57 AM

Would also like to say that my CCW class was great and the instructor and his buddy who was helping out were way cool. Learned a lot.
Old 06-23-2022, 5:28 PM

Anyone know what Parkinson will do with the Supreme Court ruling?