Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 02-11-2014, 5:36 PM

Default Cow Mountain, Ukiah - Disgrace for gun owners

I went to Cow Mountain in Ukiah today for the first time. I must say the landscape and hills are very beautiful. I'm so glad that its owned by BLM and wont be developed. I arrived to the public shooting range (This is the only area the Ukiah office really wants people to fire there weapons) The shooting range is a total disgrace. I'm very upset that California gun owners would ever leave a place that is provided to us in such bad condition. Everywhere you look there are shotgun shells, brass and tons and tons of trash, beer cans, bottles, tvs computers, spray paint cans and mangled parts of steel. The BLM has also provided steel targets that were obviously destroyed by either AP rounds or shooting them way too close. The entire area is covered with trash and will require about a full size dump truck to remove all the debris.

I was hoping that anyone would be willing to assist in setting something up in terms of a range cleanup. I live about 2.5 hours away so I'm hoping there is someone more local that can take the lead. I picked up several bags full and hauled them out in my SUV but I don't think I even noticed a difference with only a few bags removed.

If we can get something set up we can try to get the BLM office to assist with a dumpster or maybe we can pile the debris in an area for them to pick up.

If anyone has a bulldozer or bob cat this is definitely the place that could use the donation of a day use of your equipment.

GPS Location: 39.133626,-123.100118

Post here or PM me for any more information you might need.

If you cant do anything as a group, please next time you are there bring a few trash bags to help pick up after other people who don't care enough to be responsible.

Photos from my last trip to Front Sight Click here.
I have a few Front Sight memberships and course certificates available if your interested. PM ME
Old 02-11-2014, 6:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Welcome to BLM reality. Cow Mountain has been an armpit forever. There were some folk here who worked with BLM to shut the range for the day, brought in a dumpster, etc.

If there is enough of us wanting to do a cleanup I don't mind doing the leg work with BLM.

I have in-laws in Ukiah and we could do a BBQ lunch or dinner afterwards at there place.
Old 02-11-2014, 7:29 PM

Like I said I'm 2.5 hours away but I'm definitely down for a return trip to help clean up, thanks for your interest also ShooterDK hopefully we can get some more people.

I read on another thread sometimes BLM hires inmate crews to clean up (Kind of interested because I'm sure there are some live rounds and usually felons cannot have possession of ammunition) Maybe a donation can be made to get one of these crews come out.

I think having a dumpster onsite and some signs might go a long aways at reminding people to clean up after themselves or even a sign that says to pile your junk here so its in one spot to clean up might help a little.

I have a few Front Sight memberships and course certificates available if your interested. PM ME
Old 02-12-2014, 8:56 AM

image.jpgI'm in town.. I been cleaning up at cow mountain every month for the last 3 years.. People laugh when they see me cleaning probably they thing I'm doing my DUI community service hahaha... But it's a mess every time ... I'm working at this sign hope it works it was a friend/calgunner idea..
Old 02-12-2014, 2:52 PM

We will have to make the signs out of ar500 everyone shoots everything up there, the benches you shoot from (Not a safe direction to shoot) also have tons of holes in them.

Old 02-12-2014, 3:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

its not pretty but at least all that junk wont end up in the pacific gyre
Old 02-12-2014, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo.45 View Post
Attachment 303180I'm in town.. I been cleaning up at cow mountain every month for the last 3 years.. People laugh when they see me cleaning probably they thing I'm doing my DUI community service hahaha... But it's a mess every time ... I'm working at this sign hope it works it was a friend/calgunner idea..
that's cool, I do the same thing when I go to IceHouse, the sad thing is that sign will be full of holes

so that play in this sport are just *** wipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
More what? More crazy?
You live in California. There's always more crazy. It's a renewable resource.
Old 02-12-2014, 4:40 PM

I love shooting at cow. It is always a mess! I always take my brass away with me (reload) and any others i find that I might be able to use when I leave. I also take away old shell hulls and other debris when I leave. I hate the trashy feel of it!

sent from a Galaxy near you.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiejoe577 View Post
We will have to make the signs out of ar500 everyone shoots everything up there, the benches you shoot from (Not a safe direction to shoot) also have tons of holes in them.
I'm afraid if I use ar500 steel someone will get shot ... Then it's going to be a real mess... I might put it right before the parking area ... Before I do that I'm contacting the BLM office..
Old 02-13-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq_wizzard View Post
that's cool, I do the same thing when I go to IceHouse, the sad thing is that sign will be full of holes

so that play in this sport are just *** wipes.
Doing that makes me feel that i care... It's not nice cleaning someone else mess... But someday someone it's going to stop and help out ..
Old 03-13-2014, 3:01 AM

So when are we gonna schedule an actual cleanup? Not just the bench area, but start on the range portion too?

15 guys with pickups, rakes and garbage bags can get a lot done in a few hours.

I'm in, so when is it?
Old 03-13-2014, 11:20 AM

I agree 9m62 ! Finally I get to hang those nice signs up.. I talked to Ukiah BLM Office they approve my signs ...they also send a volunteer form to join their rifle range volunteer group .. The signs been donated by 707 Decals & Signs from Santa Rosa great people, I'm up for a group clean up day let's put some dates up... Weekends are imposible to do.. Only if we can have the range shut down and have visitors to join.. Then we can have an tail gate picnic o something . Best time will be by April 15 . Ofter the date it gets too hot ... So we have so we have four weeks... If does not happend I'm up there every month. Ill do what a can ,

Last edited by polo.45; 03-13-2014 at 11:26 AM..
Old 03-13-2014, 11:26 AM

I shoot there nearly every Monday. I would love to join a cleanup. What's the rifle range volunteer group?
Old 03-13-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willu707 View Post
I shoot there nearly every Monday. I would love to join a cleanup. What's the rifle range volunteer group?
It's their own volunteer group... There is a form to fill up . you choose where you want volunteer ... then they train you for haz mat and hazardous materials ... That form says that wont make you a federal employe just a federal volunteer .. I got a copy of the form ....I don't think I want to be a federal volunteer so I haven't sent the form yet..
Old 03-15-2014, 9:33 AM

I'll be in Ukiah on the 28-30th of this month. I'd be happy to pitch in for a cleanup.
Old 03-15-2014, 9:53 AM
I need a LIFE!!

there is no haz mat up there other than a rattler and poison oak
Old 03-15-2014, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDK View Post
I'll be in Ukiah on the 28-30th of this month. I'd be happy to pitch in for a cleanup.
I was right ! Next wave Electrnonics..
Old 03-15-2014, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
there is no haz mat up there other than a rattler and poison oak
Poison oak lots of that...
Old 03-16-2014, 8:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo.45 View Post
I was right ! Next wave Electrnonics..
Well, hell... I'm half way to senility

Let me know about the 28th.
Old 03-16-2014, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDK View Post
Well, hell... I'm half way to senility

Let me know about the 28th.
I just was up there... Had fun with the family But it was imposible to clean ....just my own mess.. I won't be able to make it on the 28th but Monday the 31st ill be cleaning from the weekend mess...

Last edited by polo.45; 03-16-2014 at 8:06 PM..
Old 03-18-2014, 10:07 PM

I'd be willing to help. I just need a time and date. Subscribed to thread.

Sadly locals seem to use the BLM land as a dump, and ruin the experience. Once they setup their targets, they crack open the beers and go at it. Once they are done they leave. I've seen it happen many times.
Old 03-19-2014, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banditfromhell View Post
I'd be willing to help. I just need a time and date. Subscribed to thread.

Sadly locals seem to use the BLM land as a dump, and ruin the experience. Once they setup their targets, they crack open the beers and go at it. Once they are done they leave. I've seen it happen many times.
Bandit from hell thanks. ... For now 9m62 and I and couple of friends are heading up Monday the 31st ...I get off of work 3:30 .. i guess till dark... We can clean for a good 4 hours... April 6 and 7 cow mountain will be closed for motorbikes races .. And ofter that date I don't know my work schedule .. So Monday the 31st seems to be the best day for me ..same for 9m62.. Saturday and Sundays its pack imposible those days .. Monday will be perfect day right ofter the weekend . You are welcome to join... And you right about some locals... People from the Bay Area always clean their mess ...while some others think they pay taxes and thinks someone else have to clean their garbage.. People laugh of me in my face.. They think I'm doing my DUI community service... We'll. join us we need all the help we can get..

Last edited by polo.45; 03-19-2014 at 7:29 AM..
Old 03-19-2014, 9:52 PM

I have a M-F 9-5. I wouldn't be able to join. Generally speaking work for me is busiest on Mondays so I wouldn't be able to take off.

I have had a few laughs while my friends and I clean up. I normally ignore it. However if I see the vehicle has some local car dealership plates. I inform them that Ukiah Gun Club is about $100 something a year. If you want a free place to shoot. Pick up your mess. That normally shuts them up.
Old 03-23-2014, 9:31 PM

I went there today for the first time and saw how dirty this place was. My group cleaned up all our shells and debris that we brought.

If everyone cleans up there own mess we could get it to be cleaner.

I am in SF. I will be willing to join a clean up day
Old 03-27-2014, 1:47 PM

image.jpgClean up on the 31st will be postpone ... Reason: rain/muddy. Got the signs on my hands . Donated by 707 decals and signs.
Old 04-14-2014, 7:38 PM

anybody still interested in this clean up, let me know i'd be willing to help.
Old 04-17-2014, 9:31 AM

I been twice since my last post ... I'm usually up there on Mondays ... If you from the area y let you know next time am heading up...
Old 04-21-2014, 9:58 AM

image.jpg

Almost ready ... Getting a team ready...
Old 05-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

When you figure out a date, let me know. If it's one I can make it up, I'll come help out...along with lots of the 707 Sonoma County group most likely, as well.

Also, there's big plans in store for Cow Mountain shooting. I can't say what, but by the end of this calendar year, ya'll will be impressed, and happy.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
When you figure out a date, let me know. If it's one I can make it up, I'll come help out...along with lots of the 707 Sonoma County group most likely, as well.

Also, there's big plans in store for Cow Mountain shooting. I can't say what, but by the end of this calendar year, ya'll will be impressed, and happy.
I will spyder... This sign was Paul Redpatch idea..

Last edited by polo.45; 05-05-2014 at 9:49 AM..
Old 05-04-2014, 6:23 PM

I will also help if it's a date I can make.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:12 AM

Unfortunately I have to mostly agree with you. That place is usually a dump, TV's, washers, you name it. The last time I went to the cow range about 6 months ago the place was spotless, I was happily surprised and figured a group of Calguns finest must of just cleaned the place up, I figured it was the guys from the 707 Banter. That pisses me off that the place is back to its usual disgrace. Honestly, the last time I was there only 6 months ago it was obvious that some really good people spent a longtime cleaning-up the area, the ground had been raked clean. They had too of filled truck loads full of debris. What a shame, if you are gonna shoot on public land please leave the place clean, take more trash out then you bring-in if needed.

Last edited by North Bay Guy; 05-05-2014 at 12:16 AM..
Old 05-05-2014, 12:16 AM

I agree. Great place to shoot... we need to keep it clean.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:16 AM

Update on cow mountain : the 4x4 club of Ukiah is having the range closed on Saturday may 31 for clean up .. They are having a raffle ... They also have some sponsors / local gun shops and construction companies... If any one wants to join they will be serving lunch for all the volunteers... I also been there representing Calguns.net / cgssa.org I put up some nice signs.. I got pics.
Old 05-29-2014, 4:43 PM

Here are some pictures..image.jpg
Old 05-29-2014, 4:45 PM

image.jpg
Old 05-29-2014, 9:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

neat they put some cement blocks on that side those railroad tie steps are a deathtrap
Old 06-02-2014, 7:32 PM

6 dump runs later (and we could probably have filled another 4-5 trailers), the area was in a decent shape! We cleaned up all the way to the 400 yards gongs and man, was there some junk there... propane tanks, sewer manhole, etc.

Thanks to all the volunteers' hard work!!

KEEP IT CLEAN!!

Chris aka DADD (Dad Against Daughter Dating)
Old 06-02-2014, 7:56 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xof711 View Post

6 dump runs later (and we could probably have filled another 4-5 trailers), the area was in a decent shape! We cleaned up all the way to the 400 yards gongs and man, was there some junk there... propane tanks, sewer manhole, etc.

Thanks to all the volunteers' hard work!!

KEEP IT CLEAN!!

Chris aka DADD (Dad Against Daughter Dating)
Great job!!!! It looks so clean!
It's the cleanest I ever seen... Next month I'm trimming the branches on the road ... My time is so limited I do a little when I can.. But you guy are awesome ! What do think about the signs ?? I'm putting better ones soon .
Old 06-02-2014, 8:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

wow it looks great normally it looks like a commercial airlines tragedy i swear i see black boxes out there occasionally people bring some crazy stuff