Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Young Calgunners
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Young Calgunners This forum is for our younger members, the sons and daughters of Calgunners, younger guests and their parents.

Old 05-27-2010, 3:29 PM

My Daughter is 5 and she has been shooting for about a year. She has a single shot .22lr made by chipmunk. I've taught her to handle the rifle much like the Marine Corps teaches things, by saying what you are doing as you do it and doing it the same way every time. I always watch her like a hawk from an arm distance away but she is proving that she is going to be a capable and trustworthy shooter. There are other kids I've met that are much older but far less ready to learn to shoot, it's an individual thing.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:37 PM

Not 2 young in my opinion........ I was 6 when my Dad bought me my .22lr which i still have and I'm 30 now..
Old 05-31-2010, 4:54 PM
Banned

Too young???? Maybe under 10 years.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:38 AM

My son has been shooting since he was 7, he is 10 now. He pays attention and listens to my safety lessons. He new he had to demonstrate a certain level of maturity to get to handle weapons.
Old 06-02-2010, 7:14 PM

My kids started shooting guns at about 5 or 6. The chipmunk .22 quickly moved to larger calibers, and the 1911/45 is now the gun of choice.
They were taught well and now are avid shooters at 22 and 25 yrs old.
Guns have always been a part of their lives and have never caused a single problem.
One thing though, they never had a toy gun.
Only real, no toys makes it easier to understand.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Calguns Addict

My daughter started shooting firearms when she was 4.5 years old. By the time she was 5.5 she had her own 22rf rifle and pistol. By the time she was 8 she had her own centerfire rifle and pistol. Got her first shotgun when she was 12. She is 18 now and her boyfriend is jelous because she has more firearms than he does. She is an excellent shoot
She went hunting with me and helped to gut/skin out a deer when she was 10 and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Old 06-11-2010, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

I would depend on the child. Probably training should start when interest is shown. It is a big responsibility to shoot guns.
Old 07-01-2010, 6:33 PM

Default Best option and something to grow with that's cheap

Hi,
Get an S&W M&P 22lr it looks like an M-4 but shoots 22lr and its the perfect weapon to grow into. Have someone ELSE (NRA expert with the correct credentials) train your kid. Parents don't always make the best instructors. Good luck,
S East
Old 08-05-2010, 10:36 AM

I started when I was 4ish shooting .22's. I was so let down when I joined cub scouts and had to shoot those sissy bb guns. But at that early age my dad scared the crap outta my with his .44 mag, no way I was gonna touch that thing and get into trouble. With that one shot he taught me guns are not toys and you need to respect the power. Anyways now I'm in my twenties with my own, growing, collection and planning on becoming a gunsmith.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 AM

I had the opportunity to first handle a .45 pistol when I was around the age of 11 or 12 and had safety drilled into me numerous time before being allowed to fire a shot from it. Around that age also is when I started shooting .22 long rifles at Boy Scout summer camps. In addition to that my dad has a sizable collection of pistols and some rifles from his youth so gun safety has always been a well stressed and taught lesson when I was growing up.. It really depends on the individual child; they just have to have the patience and understanding that a firearm is a firearm, not a toy, and it needs to be respected in order to enjoy it without injury.

I think if you start stressing various things like gun safety and help show by example gun safety starting from a young age it shouldn't be too big a problem for a child to have his/her own .22 to shoot. Its always good to start learning those things at a young age from parents rather than at an older age from video games like Call of Duty or Counter-Strike.
Old 10-08-2010, 5:52 PM

i've seen some really young children.if you really wanted to start them out.law says you can start them out at age 3 i think
Old 01-25-2011, 2:13 PM

I started my son shooting at age 5. Now he's 12 and he has 2 rifles and a shotgun of his own. Now he is such a good shot it's unreal. I want to put him in a competition.
Old 02-25-2011, 2:24 PM

I started my daughter on her 5th bday with a single shot neon pink cricket 22lr. as long as they are attentive listen and respect what the weapons can do I see nothing wrong with it.
Old 02-25-2011, 3:00 PM

My Dad started taking me shooting in the FL Everglades (back when it was legal) when I was 5. I shot a .38 special snub nose, Ruger MkII .22 and a Browning HiPower 9mm. Everything was fine, except I would suggest talking about the slide action. The first time I held a semi-auto to shoot, I held it up to my eye, so I could use the sights like a rifle. Good thing my Dad had a fast reaction or my name may be one-eyed McGee. Another tip would be to always wear eye and ear protection, especially those ears since they are still developing. Okay and especially those eyes too... You know... one-eyed McGee...
Old 03-17-2011, 6:23 PM

Started both my son and daughter at about 5. They are 24 and 29 now, and still avid shooters. Can't wait to teach my grandkids.
Old 03-18-2011, 1:29 PM

I held off until the kids could recite the 4 weapons safety rules back to me verbatim.

Just got out last weekend, he's 9 and she's 10.