Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-27-2020, 6:24 AM
Veteran Member

Default 2020 AB-1602 Use of firearm insurance.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...01920200AB1602

Stops insurance from "covering a loss related to the use of a firearm",
insurance would only be able to cover damage to property.

Last edited by abinsinia; 05-27-2020 at 6:29 AM..
Old 05-27-2020, 6:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

In other words, if you carry for defense in California and this passes, talk to a WY attorney about putting any significant assets in a WY domestic asset protection trust.
Old 05-27-2020, 6:32 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like this was already posted on,

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...highlight=1602
Old 05-27-2020, 6:33 AM
Veteran Member

This is bull****. First they say you should be insured, then they say you can't. How ridiculous.
If Hell ever needed a operations manual all it would need is a copy of California's laws
Old 05-27-2020, 1:04 PM

So.. armed perp breaks in. I have to shoot him and he lives. I may wind up having to pay his medical bills? Under this bill my insurance wont cover it?
Old 05-27-2020, 1:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

They are trying to increase risk, cost and anything that prices people out of owning...

Aholes...
Old 05-27-2020, 2:02 PM

Death by a thousand cuts...again.
Old 05-27-2020, 2:34 PM

Note that this bill would ban any coverage for ANY firearms related injury, even negligence. They complain about the cost of paying the medical costs of persons injured by firearms, but then they turn around and purport to ban the medical payments provisions of my HO or auto policy from covering an injury due to a negligent discharge, or the liability portion from picking up the rest? This makes sense why, exactly? Oh, I get it, it is too risky to own a gun because of the potential liability, so people will give up their firearms. Um hmm. I wonder what "rational basis" supports this bill--on its face it doesn't have one. I wonder what the Calif Supreme court will think of it if it is enacted.
Old 05-27-2020, 5:46 PM

The insurance industry should slam this. If passed this will be a very slippery slope for their industry.
Old 05-27-2020, 5:57 PM
Veteran Member

LEO's & a bunch of other special groups exempt?

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!
Old 05-27-2020, 6:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGSDAD View Post
So.. armed perp breaks in. I have to shoot him and he lives. I may wind up having to pay his medical bills? Under this bill my insurance wont cover it?
Make sure to kill him....
Old 05-27-2020, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatchdog View Post
Make sure to kill him....

Stop the threat.
Old 05-27-2020, 7:15 PM
Veteran Member

As stated above, I bet leos and other "specials" will be exempt. Sucks. My move out of Ca. will come sooner than later.
Old 05-27-2020, 9:27 PM

If I have a right to keep and bear arms, I should have a right to insure myself should the unexpected happen...
Old 05-27-2020, 10:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This one will be dead on arrival; it's an attention seeker, and quite sure even the most illogical tyrant will see the stupidity of it. It would come back to haunt them should insurance not pay out on an obvious negligent act, and then the same could be applied to so many other products, machines, vehicles, and such.

Negligence is negligence, and if it's not illegal, this will get nowhere with the insurance industry or past anyone else - even with a Democrat's squirrel's sized brain, of course accept for the diptard that authored this nonsense.

For that matter; there are actually a lot of people in the insurance industry that are very 2nd Amendment/firearm collector/generally gun friendly AND conservative, so much so I would say a majority.

As it would also limit the entertainment industry in their unethical use of percussive/prop firearms to promote and glorify inappropriate firearm handling and gun violence it's also likely to die long before appropriations committee - (even though many now utilize CGI for simulating guns firing due to accidents on set).

This is one bill that the entertainment industry would not be able to be excepted.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp1 View Post
In other words, if you carry for defense in California and this passes, talk to a WY attorney about putting any significant assets in a WY domestic asset protection trust.
Asset protection is an important but complicated aspect of estate planning, and many options are available depending on your individual and family situation, and how serious you are: Nevada, other states (even right here in California), offshore, or a multi-jurisdictional hybrid approach.
CRPA Mag Must Retract Erroneous Bulletin Slamming Gun Trusts
Radio ads: http://Protect.FM
FREE training: http://guntrust.org
FREE design meeting: http://Protect.LIFE
Old 05-28-2020, 11:48 AM

My current understanding is this bill is not going to move in the legislature and is dead for now.

It is very bad public policy, the proposed bill was very poorly drafted, and the negative consequences from such a bill were significant.

This bill would have harmed responsible gun owners that spent substantial sums of money on insurance to protect themselves and third parties that might get injured due to negligence, and it would also have harmed legitimate victims of negligence by preventing them from obtaining compensation for injuries.

If someone is shot due to negligence it would be incredibly sad if they could not obtain compensation from the insurance pool for what are potentially very serious injuries. It would be a little like banning auto insurers from paying compensation to victims of drunk drivers. The difference is drunk driving is a choice people make, whereas accidental shootings are due to ordinary negligence not intentional conduct.

Last edited by Elgatodeacero; 05-28-2020 at 11:55 AM..
Old 05-28-2020, 12:20 PM

I can not think of any previous cases of a law being in place to prevent someone from purchasing insurance that a insurance company was willing to write. Passing such a law would set a dangerous precedent and if could be done for firearms what would be next.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmy View Post
They are trying to increase risk, cost and anything that prices people out of owning...

Aholes...

Pretty much sums up the whole ball of wax. Additional comment is adopted.
Old 05-28-2020, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dale View Post
I can not think of any previous cases of a law being in place to prevent someone from purchasing insurance that a insurance company was willing to write. Passing such a law would set a dangerous precedent and if could be done for firearms what would be next.
There is a ban, by statute, on any insurance company indemnifying anyone for intentionally wrongful conduct, and including punitive damages.(Which is of course why the prior bills that would have3 required mandatory gun owner liability policies of $1 million were so silly, since a) criminals won't buy such policies, and b) the carrier is prohibited from paying for injuries arising from intentional acts.)
Old 05-28-2020, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
There is a ban, by statute, on any insurance company indemnifying anyone for intentionally wrongful conduct, and including punitive damages.(Which is of course why the prior bills that would have3 required mandatory gun owner liability policies of $1 million were so silly, since a) criminals won't buy such policies, and b) the carrier is prohibited from paying for injuries arising from intentional acts.)

But when unintentional acts or even negligent acts get swept into the same game as intentional ones, then we have a problem. By in large insurance serves only to provide (1) a defense and (2) a deep pocket that will allow a case to be settled without bankrupting the targeted defendant.
Old 05-28-2020, 1:49 PM

While I somewhat agree with Dirtlaw’s comment, it goes deeper than a defendant avoiding bankruptcy.

The plain fact is that most people (99% or close to it) have zero or close to zero in assets in the context of a person being negligently injured in an accident/incident.

Without insurance (lots of people paying a small amount of money into a collective pool for everyone to potentially recover from) no one would ever be compensated for serious injuries resulting from negligent behavior. We all pay insurance premiums in the hope we never need to collect and in the hope we never momentarily act negligently and seriously injure someone else.

The entire purpose of insurance is to make sure injured people can be compensated for their losses to physical and mental health and do not become wards of the state (taxpayers).

If any of us were to accidentally injure another person with our car, with a gun, or any other tool or machine we would want to be able to look to our insurance company and say “I made a mistake, pay that person full and fair compensation.”

Insurance companies will try every trick and corny argument in the universe to avoid paying, but after they exhaust all other options or after a jury forces them to, they then pay the injured person.

How terrible it would be to hurt someone and ruin their health and body and have no way to compensate for it. I don’t like the cynical and evil practices of insurance companies but I think insurance as a concept is a good thing and part of what allows our complex society to function.
Old 05-28-2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruOil View Post
The statue you cite is not the same as a law that would prevent someone from purchasing coverage that is available. Also some insurance companies use the intentionals act as a excuse to deny claims they don't want to pay, for example you intentionally break a window to escape a burning building and I would bet no insurance co would deny replacing the window. but you shoot a home invader the insurance co will deny the claim even though you were not convicted of doing anything illegal.
Old 05-28-2020, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Dale View Post
The statue you cite is not the same as a law that would prevent someone from purchasing coverage that is available. Also some insurance companies use the intentionals act as a excuse to deny claims they don't want to pay, for example you intentionally break a window to escape a burning building and I would bet no insurance co would deny replacing the window. but you shoot a home invader the insurance co will deny the claim even though you were not convicted of doing anything illegal.
No, it does not prevent the purchase of insurance for negligently inflicted gun shot injuries, but that wasn't my point. The point was that the former proposed law requiring the purchase of mandatory liability insurance, since coverage is limited by statute to unintentional acts, would do very very little to reduce the state's cost of paying for gunshot injuries suffered by uninsured individuals, since the vast majority of injuries being treated are for excluded intentional acts. and this law would make it worse since not even negligent acts would be covered.