Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 05-26-2020, 9:37 AM

I think most of the Old originals like our Marlins were full choke. They never marked any I do not think. Mine cycles like butter on with the Remington Shells. Federals feed hard, but do, but they extract a little harder too. So I only shoot the Remingtons. Feeds and extracts smooth as glass with those. Some makers of 410 shells must size different than others I guess. It is not length issue between brands. It is the brass diameter at the base.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:18 AM

Echo, I know a couple of guys who can kill with a .410 at any range better than I can with a 12. Unfortunately most shooters are nowhere near that proficient; more unfortunately, I'm one of them.

Maybe with LOTS of clays practice and some native talent, more people can get to the situation where a .410 "will do it all." But I doubt it, given the pressures of the 21st C. on most peoples' time.

One bright spot is the availability of serious self-defence ammo for .410s. I'm not thrilled with the big .410 revolvers, but a .410 double or repeater loaded with Winchester 3" 000 buckshot shells or Brennecke 2 1/2" "Close Encounter" slugs is a formidable close range weapon(and when is self-defence a long range proposition?). And you can hunt with it, unlike most of the pistols.

And a .410 slug WILL kill a deer at woods/brush ranges, IF you took the time and money to figure out where it throws them at several different ranges.

The Brennecke slugs are actually quite accurate up to about 70 yards, the old Foster-type less so in most guns. But you need to figure out where they will go BEFORE you send them.

Some people even shoot turkeys with .410s and expensive tungsten matrix ammo!
Old 05-28-2020, 12:51 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a stable of shotguns, but I always wanted a classic English style SxS .410. Biggest problem was champagne tastes with a beer budget. On the GB auctions looking at a vintage Ithaca SxS .410, I ran across a Stephano Fausti DEA that the seller had mis-titled, and had a BIN price 2/3 less than it's worth. Almost broke my keyboard hitting the button!
First time I shot it, I thought something was wrong with it, because I couldn't hit anything! Chokes are both Xtra Full, and patterns so tight, it's like shooting a SxS rifle. Right when I got where I could make a head shot on a flush pheasant, Calif bans lead shot! Chokes are so tight, I'm afraid to put anything else through it.

Old 05-28-2020, 2:58 PM

FAusti shotguns are generally of pretty good quality, even the lowest grades. I visited their factory in 2014; very fun even if I didn't get to meet The Sisters!

Super tight chokes are common in European shotguns sold for European use. Not sure why, but all the used doubles I have bought that were originally sold in Europe had "full" and "fuller" chokes! This has something to do with what they hunt and how they hunt them, In Scandinavia,for example, their "big grouse" aren't as big as our turkeys, but they shoot them "on the sit" not "on the wing" like we do turkeys. So chokes are tight for that.

Find out if your barrels are chrome plated. If they aren't, you should probably get at least one of them rechoked more open. If they are, then you probably still should, but you'll have to find a 'smith that does chrome plated barrels and he will charge more for the work.

I use Ahlman's in MN for this (507) 685-4243; at least talk to their gunsmith about it. They usually will tell you the truth, whether you want to hear it or not! That's not so common, in my experience. Also ask him about chrome plate and steel shot.

Last edited by Mike Armstrong; 05-28-2020 at 3:00 PM..
Old 05-28-2020, 5:14 PM

I like that Ithaca. Even with the choke, it would be a fun little .410 anyway.
Old 05-28-2020, 8:24 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Armstrong View Post
FAusti shotguns are generally of pretty good quality, even the lowest grades. I visited their factory in 2014; very fun even if I didn't get to meet The Sisters!
You missed the best part then! I met them at the Vegas Shot Show with my BIL that knows the family. I couldn't understand much of what they were saying, but it didn't matter, because I wasn't paying attention anyhow. BTW...all three are dead on shots.
I looked into having the chokes opened, but they looked to be chromed, and my experience with opening up chromed bores hasn't been a favorable one. Talked it over with my BIL, and when I'm ready, he'll take it with him to Italy and have Fausti do the work and maybe make a 28ga set of bbls to go with it. All I have to do is win the lotto first.
Giovanna, Elena and Barbara. Stephano makes good looking shotguns too!