Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 05-06-2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie50 View Post
Well said sir.
We understand each other here. Without even having to explain our intentions. I've learned so much from the voices here and what I've learned I've actually taken it out into the real world and applied it to my life and took into account my own shortcomings. There's a lot of tranquility in prepping. There's only fear in panic. You all have taught me. So, thank you, thank you all.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2020, 9:31 PM
Veteran Member

Long time prepper here. Moved to isolated 800 acre ranch with 20 co owners few of which have a home here (6)

Learned a lot, things I took for granted have become problems to solve. Extreme weather, pump failures, security, etc.

But I've watched my wife embrace tjphe challenges and grow even more capable, her parents live adjacent in 1 bedroom apt in my workshop/barn and have become dependable allies.

We will survive and thrive. Next goats and chickens!
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 05-06-2020, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalkid View Post
I have had people tell me they panic shopped for a month. I haven't had anyone tell me they are planning to be more prepared in the future.
Yep. I'm making notes of the few things that caught me off guard. I started in '92 after the riots, and Katrina got me serious as a heart attack. I'd been reading the stuff coming out of Venezuela and using that to guide my preps. Not a lot surprised me, but there a few eye-openers and some close calls. I seemed to stay ahead of the curve but barely on a few items (a bread maker, and a bunch of yeast, for example). I was also way too low - scary low - on 9mm, so I won't let that happen again.

I'll be the first to say I never deliberately planned for an epidemic, and what a stupid, short-sighted mistake. I'm also proud to say my preps were 90% able to overlap. So I'm not going to say "Anyone who didn't see this coming..." But I will say anyone who didn't see SOMETHING coming needs to wake up.
Old 05-07-2020, 7:16 AM

Has anyone here successfully hunkered in through this whole pandemic? I don't think its logistically possible for most people to prep for a multi-month event. I have a few weeks worth of stuff for my immediate family but would never even attempt to prep for this long of an event as its just not feasible without owning a farm.
Old 05-16-2020, 7:45 AM

Default no

No I haven't but wouldn't have done so. It was intriguing that I started 2020 off with 3 weeks of no buying anything anywhere; it was more a mission to save a little money and do annual inventory. Sucked that a week later this whole thing became a "topic" and it caused me to go out and spend all that savings on stocking up again. I was no where near the end of anything at 3 weeks thankfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamVIP View Post
Has anyone here successfully hunkered in through this whole pandemic? I don't think its logistically possible for most people to prep for a multi-month event. I have a few weeks worth of stuff for my immediate family but would never even attempt to prep for this long of an event as its just not feasible without owning a farm.
Old 05-16-2020, 2:30 PM
Pew,pew.....PEW
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911.45_4Me View Post
People will forget as time goes by. They won't prepare. They will again wait till the last minute.

"Those who don't remember the past, Are doomed to repeat it"
This is what happens during hurricane season.

And hurricanes are pretty common.

But every time, there's panic buying by the masses.

The title is....."United States Marine".

Old 05-16-2020, 6:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

I am hoping to take advantage of the private party sell off after the dust settles.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:12 PM
Calguns Addict

MIA:
Dillon carbide .223 Dies, and other Dillon press-hardware
3M garage half-mask respirators
3M garage mask particulate filters (of any kind)
FoodSaver Jar adapters ($24ish, if you can find them, and on eBay for >$150+, per my search of sold items)
About half of everything I look for on Walmart's site is gone, food or preps related, bulk rice and beans mainly
Old 05-28-2020, 10:37 AM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The worst thing that happened during this "disaster" is that I gained a bunch of weight. I know this hurt a lot of folks really bad, but measured against "real" potential disasters, this is a lightweight disaster.

I fear that most non-preppers will think this is what a real disaster will look like. LOL

We never lost electricity, there is no widespread destruction, the medical system didn't collapse, there was no rioting or looting, the rule of law stayed in effect, very few people are hungry, the death count is relatively low, no infrastructure was destroyed, communications and freight distribution was maintained, production of essentials continued, our water and sewer plants continued to operate...

This is a nothing burger when it comes to real disasters.

I didn't really use any of my preps except my N95 masks and a few gloves. I saw this coming in February. Not wanting to use any of my freeze dried food I bought hundreds of cans of additional food to add to what I had in the first week of March. I even got free shipping.

Not knowing how long this was going to last, I bought an additional small chest freezer too, and filled it with Costco meat and cheese. I figured, if I'm going to die I want to eat well until I kick the bucket.

I tested my generator and put a new battery in it.

So far this is like a prepper test run...... In fact, if it keeps going like this, when it's over I'm going to donate a substantial amount of my canned goods to a charity.

Last edited by ScottsBad; 05-28-2020 at 10:59 AM..
Old 05-28-2020, 10:46 AM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
MIA:
Dillon carbide .223 Dies, and other Dillon press-hardware
3M garage half-mask respirators
3M garage mask particulate filters (of any kind)
FoodSaver Jar adapters ($24ish, if you can find them, and on eBay for >$150+, per my search of sold items)
About half of everything I look for on Walmart's site is gone, food or preps related, bulk rice and beans mainly
What? I was down at Costco and couple weeks ago and they had stacks different kinds of rice in 20 pound bags.

And I bought the two sizes of Food Saver jar adapters for like $25 on April 12. I just wanted to try them out.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-15-2020, 10:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Walmart and Amazon are selling out of bulk quick, even now... From the time you put something in your on-line cart to the time you complete the order stock can be sold out in the blink of a shopping cart.

Some foodsaver jar adapters with both large and regular mouth have a buy it now eBay price set at >$100...

Last edited by the86d; 06-15-2020 at 10:14 AM..
Old 06-16-2020, 8:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

I ordered the Foodsaver jar vacuum lids on Amazon for about $24. The order took 2 weeks to fill but they did come in.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melliw View Post
I ordered the Foodsaver jar vacuum lids on Amazon for about $24. The order took 2 weeks to fill but they did come in.
Hahaha, I am flipping those on eBay... :-)
Old 06-16-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870classic View Post
Good observation Harbormaster.

Sounds like a good plan to have people prepared... But, I have my doubts that the number will double. People have short memories and they could just as easily go back to the way things where in their lives before the pandemic and forget about preparing altogether. We will see.

Best regards,
870classic.

+1 after a few months, only a few will give this pandemic a second thought...
Old 06-16-2020, 1:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

I notice First Aid gear is still plentiful. Tells me most preppers are still just "guns & ammo" at this point.
Old 06-18-2020, 9:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
I notice First Aid gear is still plentiful. Tells me most preppers are still just "guns & ammo" at this point.
Amazon was out of Lysol, and most other benzalkonium chloride products, especially when .gov mandates for quarantine kicked in. Walmart wasn't shipping 20lb bags of rice to homes for a while at about the same time. Amazon still(last I checked) didn't have large bags of rice or beans, except from scalpers. I personally never bought a first aid kit, as I have plenty of things that are better than in a kit.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:47 AM

Default two part

There are two parts of the prepper onslaught; first a bunch of new preppers that want to accumulate prepper items because they got caught without TP and water a few months ago; and second a big group of retail opportunist that will be marketing to them.

Quote:
Old 06-18-2020, 1:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
I personally never bought a first aid kit, as I have plenty of things that are better than in a kit.
I just ordered some suspenders and shoulder pads from HSGI recently, and picked up a couple of smaller pressure bandages and vent seals - to round the order up for free shipping - something I often do with retailers who offer first aid gear.

Those sorta things OUGHTA be sold out, what with rioters attacking police, and the police resigning in large cities. HSGI, AR-500, & Amazon, among others, are fully stocked.

AS am I, but keeping such things updated, and rotating out old stock is important. Not everybody realizes that yet, I'm thinking...
Old 06-18-2020, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I just ordered some suspenders and shoulder pads from HSGI recently, and picked up a couple of smaller pressure bandages and vent seals - to round the order up for free shipping - something I often do with retailers who offer first aid gear.

Those sorta things OUGHTA be sold out, what with rioters attacking police, and the police resigning in large cities. HSGI, AR-500, & Amazon, among others, are fully stocked.

AS am I, but keeping such things updated, and rotating out old stock is important. Not everybody realizes that yet, I'm thinking...
I did, however get some sealed (but expired) nitrile and latex surgical gloves at the beginning of this for CHEAP... I haven't cracked any, but individually sealed in pairs.

Do nitrile or latex gloves in a cool/dry place, out of direct sunlight degrade much after expiry?

Last edited by the86d; 06-18-2020 at 3:54 PM..
Old 06-20-2020, 1:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I did, however get some sealed (but expired) nitrile and latex surgical gloves at the beginning of this for CHEAP... I haven't cracked any, but individually sealed in pairs.

Do nitrile or latex gloves in a cool/dry place, out of direct sunlight degrade much after expiry?
I cannot speak as to gloves. I am currently running through a box of 3M N95 masks I bought about 12 years ago. I bought them due to smoke from the fires caused by a freak lightning storm here in Nor Cal that summer.

I used a few of them that year, and the rest have been stored in the box, in a closet out of sunlight exposure. Even out of the sunlight, the latex straps on the masks have degraded and have become brittle.

They don't have much life expectancy when put into use. I carefully stretch the straps on a 'new' mask before use, but it doesn't take long before they snap.

When they break, it is always at the attachment point on the mask, so there is not really any way to tie them back together.

I think that it is exposure to air, rather than sunlight that has done them in. If your gloves are truly sealed from air exposure, they might have some use left in them.

Last edited by Dutch3; 06-20-2020 at 1:22 PM.. Reason: 'r'
Old 06-20-2020, 2:48 PM
Veteran Member

I got my start from my grandparents (who lived through the depression). Big garden, planting fruit trees, composting, frugality, eating leftovers and generally being miserly and wise with expenditures. Learning how to fix things was a big deal. Pretty basic stuff that everyone used to do when we were more agrarian.
Old 06-20-2020, 5:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

Quote:

UV light breaks down everything faster; keeping them cool, dry, and dark is best even for NEW ones. And expiration dates on NON-food items are usually FTC-mandated SELL-by dates - not necessarily, expiration dates.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 870classic View Post
Good observation Harbormaster.

Sounds like a good plan to have people prepared... But, I have my doubts that the number will double. People have short memories and they could just as easily go back to the way things where in their lives before the pandemic and forget about preparing altogether. We will see.

Best regards,
870classic.
unfortunately you are right. I have friends that just a couple months ago were freaking out and buying thousands of dollars worth of crap they didn't need or even know how to use. Now all of a sudden things are mildly settled down and some things have gotten back into order.

Now, they are selling off all the camping gear they didn't really need, nobody has any Real Food Supplies, toilet paper is starting to dwindle a couple months later, and cleaning supplies are still virtually gone.
Old 07-10-2020, 3:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Well, on the bright side, about 1/3 of the rice at my local grocery store is out. but they have 20lb, and 10lb bags of Jasmine and Calrose.
So at least there is THAT... Not that WE needed any in this house.

About $10 for the 10lb bag, and $14 for the 20lb bags, so that is pre-panic prices, at least...

Liquor is still on the shelves, so my area isn't REALLY paniced yet...

SH!oot, I got like $60 worth of sirloin for like $21 on sale today!!!
I am TRYING to go lower-carb. lately, but at least it's a start...
Old 07-10-2020, 3:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Red face

Quote:

When the smokes & booze are gone, it's gonna get REAL!!!
Old 07-11-2020, 4:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Mace Pepper Guns are sold out about everywhere...
AND I MEAN ABOUT EVERYWHERE.

You CAN get one of the few left for about $62-$89, if you Google a LOT and DIG DEEP, but that is about 2x+ the regular price... I just bought 2 more, but DANG.
Old 07-11-2020, 7:27 AM

Default liquor

There were some posts about a "run" on liquor in April I think but it never materialized. Its one of the items as a prepper I not only stocked up on (used to buy whatever was on sale at Costco when I went) but I had to admit I'm over stocked on it. I don't drink much. Last year about this time I bought over a dozen cheap flasks on amazon - think I got them for about 1.75 each. A girl / guest at my employ was having to return to Venezuela and I happened to see her with some liquor to which she said it was a valued bribe in Venezuela and she'd need it. I gave her the flasks and later learned they were a big hit. So I need to buy some more.

Quote:
Well, on the bright side, about 1/3 of the rice at my local grocery store is out. but they have 20lb, and 10lb bags of Jasmine and Calrose.
So at least there is THAT... Not that WE needed any in this house.

About $10 for the 10lb bag, and $14 for the 20lb bags, so that is pre-panic prices, at least...

SH!oot, I got like $60 worth of sirloin for like $21 on sale today!!!
I am TRYING to go lower-carb. lately, but at least it's a start...
Old 07-17-2020, 3:25 AM
Calguns Addict

LGS was selling Hornady 147GR JHP "XTP" 25rds @ 24.95/box, limit 2...
Old 07-22-2020, 6:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Regarding ammo...
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...5#post24564595

Last edited by the86d; 07-22-2020 at 7:59 PM..
Old 07-23-2020, 5:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

Quote:

I resemble that remark!

I think "panicked hoarders" ARE running amok these days, but not necessarily preppers, for one simple reason.

Pistol & rifle mags, are still PLENTIFUL.

I was in a local shop yesterday, and not only were mags in stock, they had a big box of NiB 30rd M2 PMags (no dust cover, BLK, windowless) for $10.99 ea.

In EVERY other panic since the early '90's at least, MAGS disappeared - often BEFORE the ammo did! Lots of NOOBS are out there buying guns & ammo, but they don't realize the necessity of pre-loaded mags at the ready, just yet.

The advantage of living in a free state - I'm sure the thought of a box of 200+ 30rd. PMags just lying there @ $11/ea. - NOT being sold - is mind-boggling in CA. I bought 7 more... because I could. When those start finally selling out, maybe some PREPPERS will be in the making...
Old 07-28-2020, 8:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I resemble that remark!

I think "panicked hoarders" ARE running amok these days, but not necessarily preppers, for one simple reason.

Pistol & rifle mags, are still PLENTIFUL.

I was in a local shop yesterday, and not only were mags in stock, they had a big box of NiB 30rd M2 PMags (no dust cover, BLK, windowless) for $10.99 ea.

In EVERY other panic since the early '90's at least, MAGS disappeared - often BEFORE the ammo did! Lots of NOOBS are out there buying guns & ammo, but they don't realize the necessity of pre-loaded mags at the ready, just yet.

The advantage of living in a free state - I'm sure the thought of a box of 200+ 30rd. PMags just lying there @ $11/ea. - NOT being sold - is mind-boggling in CA. I bought 7 more... because I could. When those start finally selling out, maybe some PREPPERS will be in the making...
I don't use many plastic-only lip-mags myself, but are right...
Old 07-29-2020, 5:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
I don't use many plastic-only lip-mags myself, but are right...

I used aluminum mags for 18+ years, before I got my first PMag in '08. That mag is STILL loaded - in one of these 20mm cans... somewhere... ready to go.

The dustcovers help, but the ones in my chest rig/belt/vests are uncovered and ready to go. PMags are made by mere mortals, and like everything else we make, they fail too... but I've yet to have one fail on me - EVEN after dropping a couple of loaded ones on the concrete pad at my range.

Mags are "consumable" however - JUST like ammo. .mil considers them "expendable," and if you buy one THINKING it'll last forever, you're more than likely gonna be disappointed someday. I've dinged plenty of aluminum mags beyond use as well.

NEVER tried HK steel mags, but every OTHER steel mag I've ever tried, has been junk. I hear the Korean knock-offs are actually pretty good, but I've never tried one of those either. And given the weight reduction of aluminum AND polymer, you'd hafta be a glutton for punishment - to WANT to lug around a bunch of them in your kit. More power to ya', if you CAN pull it off.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:01 AM

Hard to prep when they barely have enough to get through the day. Look at the food lines...(ie. with fancy cars using new phones and appliances)
Old 08-08-2020, 8:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Wow... AG going for about $32/ozt right now...
Maybe it IS getting deep...
Old 08-09-2020, 9:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I used aluminum mags for 18+ years, before I got my first PMag in '08. That mag is STILL loaded - in one of these 20mm cans... somewhere... ready to go.

The dustcovers help, but the ones in my chest rig/belt/vests are uncovered and ready to go. PMags are made by mere mortals, and like everything else we make, they fail too... but I've yet to have one fail on me - EVEN after dropping a couple of loaded ones on the concrete pad at my range.

Mags are "consumable" however - JUST like ammo. .mil considers them "expendable," and if you buy one THINKING it'll last forever, you're more than likely gonna be disappointed someday. I've dinged plenty of aluminum mags beyond use as well.

NEVER tried HK steel mags, but every OTHER steel mag I've ever tried, has been junk. I hear the Korean knock-offs are actually pretty good, but I've never tried one of those either. And given the weight reduction of aluminum AND polymer, you'd hafta be a glutton for punishment - to WANT to lug around a bunch of them in your kit. More power to ya', if you CAN pull it off.

HK steel magazines are anything but junk my brother. Heavy and expensive, yes. They are absolutely top notch stanag magazines though. If i could afford it that’s all i’d stockpile. As it is, I only have about a dozen of them. The rest of my mountain o mags are usgi aluminums and pmags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2020, 6:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxdiver View Post
HK steel magazines are anything but junk my brother. Heavy and expensive, yes. They are absolutely top notch stanag magazines though.

I've heard nothing but GOOD about them... aside from the heaviness. The very quality that MAKES them good (steel), is also their biggest drawback (heavy). On the other hand, I've broken aluminum mags - from Vietnam-era 20 rounders, to present-day 30 & 40 rounders - & the quality that makes them desirable - light weight - makes them easily bendable/breakable.

Magazines are a trade-off... which is ALSO why they're expendable. I don't WANNA break ANY of them (I save the guts by the way - as "rebuild" kits), but that also why I have over 500 mags. Breaking one, ten, even a HUNDRED... doesn't hurt me that badly.