Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-25-2020, 9:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Questions for Park Rangers

How are the state or federal park services handling the weakened economy; Furloughs, layoffs, all/none of the above?

Was it stable prior to COVID?

I'm not far from the Angeles National Forest HQ and would love to join the team. In your experience, are things too unpredictable at this time?
Old 05-27-2020, 2:16 PM

As I understand it, State Parks Rangers have been working. I did hear rumors the governor did propose a 10% pay cut for all state employees.
Old 05-27-2020, 3:17 PM

The 10% cuts for all state employees was proposed by Newsome. Several of the Parole Agents I work with are turning in their retirement papers before this kicks in. They said they’d have to work a couple years past when they were originally planning on retiring just to get to make up for the cut so it’s not worth it.
Old 05-28-2020, 6:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Newsome will have to get pass the state workers union. Union workers =votes
Old 05-28-2020, 3:02 PM

OP is asking about a federal job with the forest service.

John 14:6
Old 06-16-2020, 2:45 PM

Anecdotally, I can say that USFS Rangers and the concessionaires tasked with cleaning trailhead bathrooms are AWOL. Offices are empty. Some offices don't answer their phones. Emails are unanswered. Wilderness Permit system is stalled & getting no enforcement. In one case, the voice mail system gave me a number to call for permits but it's just the same phone number I was calling and the same number they're not answering. Trailhead bathrooms are a mess.

Mind you, this isn't every office. I called a different office the other day and, although they answered the phone, they were under the impression that all USFS campgrounds are closed & unoccupied. A friend had just been to the campground I asked them about and reported that it was so full of campers that he was going to head up early just to try to reserve a spot for the group. So that tells me that they're working but certainly not out in the field.

It's up to those who care about the woods to remind those who trash the place to Leave No Trace, keep mechanical transport out of the wilderness areas, clean up the campsites, politely remind folks about shooting rules, etc. It's just concerned citizens doing all the work in some places. There is almost no risk of COVID infection while outside in the woods. If they can't sit in the office & remind folks of their responsibilities to LNT, then they can at least get out with some gloves & trash bags & clean up a little.

Job-wise, who knows?

Last edited by CVShooter; 06-16-2020 at 2:53 PM..