Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALGUNS.NET > Announcements and Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Announcements and Suggestions This is a place for suggestions, news and updates about the site.

Old 03-09-2020, 8:23 PM

This needs to be addressed in the MarketPlace and probably made into a rule. There should be a time limit on how long your posting can stay active. If there is no activity from the user themselves on their listing for more than 120 hours, then that listing should be remove. This would help with all the clutter of listing that are being bumped up to the page 1, with no actual activity from OP since over 14+ days. If a user will be out of town, then it should be noted on post 1 for that listing.
Old 03-22-2020, 6:36 AM
Veteran Member

Recently several threads on a certain type of gun have been censored. Now I can understand you might want to censor some threads some of the time for specific reason. This is a gun forum, and talking about guns and the legal aspects surrounding those guns is an essential part of the discussion.

I think you could improve by letting people know what the issue is, are you being forced to censor, or are you censoring because the subject was uncomfortable in some way. Instead of silently censoring threads, just let people know what the issues are. Publish cease and desist requests for example.

If you want specifics on the thread ping me privately, I don't want this thread getting censored.
Old 03-22-2020, 8:18 AM

I second abinsinia’s comment. How about a little transparency here? Sure, it’s your forum and you can do what you want with it, but this is a forum dedicated to discussions about gun rights in California. Why are you censoring discussion about a gun made specifically for California? What is this, communist China? You may have a good reason which is fine, but the members of the forum deserve to know why.
Old 03-22-2020, 9:32 AM
Head Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
Recently several threads on a certain type of gun have been censored. Now I can understand you might want to censor some threads some of the time for specific reason. This is a gun forum, and talking about guns and the legal aspects surrounding those guns is an essential part of the discussion.

I think you could improve by letting people know what the issue is, are you being forced to censor, or are you censoring because the subject was uncomfortable in some way. Instead of silently censoring threads, just let people know what the issues are. Publish cease and desist requests for example.

If you want specifics on the thread ping me privately, I don't want this thread getting censored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebowser View Post
I second abinsinia’s comment. How about a little transparency here? Sure, it’s your forum and you can do what you want with it, but this is a forum dedicated to discussions about gun rights in California. Why are you censoring discussion about a gun made specifically for California? What is this, communist China? You may have a good reason which is fine, but the members of the forum deserve to know why.
I'm pretty sure I know which topic you are referring to.

I was asked directly by the party involved's legal counsel to remove those threads for the time being.

I wasn't told why and didn't ask, I'm not the client, however our long history with this law office and their history of successes means I trust they have a good reason.

Calguns is read by DoJ and others and we do not want to be responsible for causing things to go awry.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:08 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Location: 805, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips
Default Open Letter - how can we make Calguns.net better?

Commie mods!

Supressin’ my silencer rights!

Old 03-22-2020, 11:07 AM
RSG Minion, Senior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by readysetgo View Post
Commie mods!

Supressin’ my silencer rights!
Since when have you been suppressed around here?
Old 03-22-2020, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post

I was asked directly by the party involved's legal counsel to remove those threads for the time being.

I wasn't told why and didn't ask, I'm not the client, however our long history with this law office and their history of successes means I trust they have a good reason.

Calguns is read by DoJ and others and we do not want to be responsible for causing things to go awry.

So anything related to certain types of firearms will be censored, even if this legal council or client is/are not involved ? If you name the firearm in question then you also get censored?

Are the original threads coming back or gone forever ?
Old 03-22-2020, 2:22 PM
Head Janitor

Quote:
So anything related to certain types of firearms will be censored, even if this legal council or client is/are not involved ? If you name the firearm in question then you also get censored?

Are the original threads coming back or gone forever ?
Read this again, slowly...

Quote:

When legal counsel FOR THE PARTY INVOLVED says it will do no harm to this effort the threads will be restored.
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 03-22-2020, 3:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Read this again, slowly...
You seem angry .. I am not trying to anger anyone, I just want guidance on what will an won't get censored.

I'm assuming from what you have said that anyone who mentions anything related to the mystery topic will get censored.
Old 03-22-2020, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

Old 03-22-2020, 7:30 PM
RSG Minion, Senior

Quote:
You seem angry .. I am not trying to anger anyone, I just want guidance on what will an won't get censored.

I'm assuming from what you have said that anyone who mentions anything related to the mystery topic will get censored.
Post what you want and see what happens.

Unless you really overdo it, the worst you will get is a deleted thread and a temp. ban.

Proposing illegal acts such as booby-trapping your home will get deleted quickly enough, just be cautious in your wording.

There are no First Amendment rights here.

Be excellent to each other. Party on dudes.
Old 03-22-2020, 8:19 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alx_cee137 View Post
Understood on the freedom of purchase and sentiments. But to state that people are free to not buy anything they think is overpriced, is kind of an unfair statement to make. The only reason why is because as a law abiding gun owner community, we have allowed for privileged individuals to set such premiums so high and thus, makes it the norm to see these premiums. With everything in this state going up to ridiculous prices in comparison to our neighboring states, it is maybe time that individuals begin to make their sentiments heard and felt. And I would be MYOB, but I've had friends made such purchases only to see them reach more into their pockets to make up for state compliant magazines or some other bull reason.

Then again we have listings in this marketplace, where people are being ridiculed for setting a high price for a gun that is roster approved, but is a different frame color that is hard to come by. Yet, we don't see that when other users post these off roster handguns with the premium and they state that they will not come with magazines unless the buyer is LEO, well, LEO wouldn't be buying your premium taxed handgun because they themselves are privileged to purchase it on their own for way cheaper.

I'm not against a free market, but it would be more understandable and reasonable if the premiums were maybe a very low few hundreds. Not twice the MSRP for a used handgun that will not include any magazines.
I'd say get used to it.

If you're on a discussion forum with a decent for sale section, thread crapping will get you banned, for a bit or for a while. I'd count decent forums on ar15.com, the FAL Files, and Calguns, to a degree. Put yourself in the seller's place...you see more than a few comments noting that the gun sucks, is the wrong color, is too much money, you name it. How do you feel? Far better to stfu.

Here's arfcom's policy on thread craping...

"Absolutely no stomping on other peoples' posts! Do not remark in any way that would negatively impact the sale of someone's merchandise. Do not post comments, opinions or make low-ball offers in threads. This can result in your account being locked for 72 hours."

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

Last edited by -hanko; 03-22-2020 at 9:07 PM..
Old 03-22-2020, 8:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickjack View Post
I should be able to upload a pic directly from my iPhone or computer to a thread / post. We are still operating like it’s 2004 over here.
Last time I checked, Calguns is on version 3 of the forum software...current now is version 5.

No idea has to how much $$$ to get current.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

Old 03-22-2020, 8:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheellock View Post
In the WTS ads, why do many people remove the asking price after sold? I have been trying to figure a "reasonable" price for a pistol I am selling and have come across this a lot. It would be nice to see what people have actually paid to set the market. What are the thoughts?
I don't understand why removing price history is allowed. I've seen some say it's no one's business what someone paid...stupid, as prices are required in the for sale ad, and it's a public forum.

I like arfcom's rule on that...

"Do not delete ad text, including prices, or subject lines. Doing so may result in a temporary suspension from the site. Leaving the subject lines and prices intact allows others to search items out and gauge current market value."

Seems reasonable and logical to me.

Old 03-22-2020, 9:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Last time I checked, Calguns is on version 3 of the forum software...current now is version 5.

No idea has to how much $$$ to get current.
It isn't money.

Some bits of this installation are custom, and would have to be redone - if that's even possible.

Itrader seems not to have been ported up, at least in a way that preserves history.

It's a legacy system here, and choices on what pain and how much can be tolerated in changing versions or even the whole software used are difficult.

Kestryll has a thread on the issue someplace ... ah, here - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1440092 from April of 2018

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 03-22-2020 at 9:44 PM..
Old 03-22-2020, 10:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
It isn't money.

Some bits of this installation are custom, and would have to be redone - if that's even possible.

Itrader seems not to have been ported up, at least in a way that preserves history.

It's a legacy system here, and choices on what pain and how much can be tolerated in changing versions or even the whole software used are difficult.

Kestryll has a thread on the issue someplace ... ah, here - http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1440092 from April of 2018
Thanks for both what you do here, and your response this evening.

Old 03-24-2020, 8:37 PM

2020 election forum?
Old 03-25-2020, 5:33 PM
retired Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIFLERACK31 View Post
2020 election forum?
Election subforum

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 04-10-2020, 5:05 PM
RSG Minion, Senior

Beware of Buyer/Seller Stickies.

Is it possible to combine them into the same one across the sections of the Marketplace?

Maybe a link in the stickies to a master list?
Old 05-15-2020, 4:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thumbs up

New thread - NOT mine - that I recommend a "sticky!"

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1613065
Old 05-15-2020, 9:58 PM

I'd be nice to have an option to hide repeat images. When someone quotes a quote with images, they show up again in full size (unless they edit the quote ofc). Sometimes very few posts take up so much real estate all because people are quoting other who used images.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:12 PM

Location: Born on the Sacramento River. Raised by an a Alligator, sired by a Lion. Backbone o' barbed wire!!

I'd like a saved search notification for firearm buying,
Old 05-16-2020, 8:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourTINman View Post
I'd be nice to have an option to hide repeat images. When someone quotes a quote with images, they show up again in full size (unless they edit the quote ofc). Sometimes very few posts take up so much real estate all because people are quoting other who used images.
That's a waste of Calguns.net resources. All the idiot quoting has to do is delete the pictures from the response...maybe 30 seconds total.

Old 05-16-2020, 9:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

My comment here, as a lawyer for almost half a century, is that transparency is key. And, if the reason for an action is sound you do not fear exposure of the reasoning. So, unless games are being played (which may be OK if you are in a fray where other games are being played) disclosure of the issues at play would be helpful.
Old 05-16-2020, 9:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Move the paper clip icon to the left of the thread title.
Old 05-19-2020, 7:32 AM

I was wondering if it would be possible to have a separate thread for legal updates rather than combining them with discussions. Some of us just want to be able to quickly find updates to the many legal cases and challenges before the courts.

While there is also certainly a need for discussion, it becomes tedious to scroll through pages of the same five members constant arguments with each other to try and find updates to the cases. Member Paladin does an excellent job (along with a few others) of letting those of us less in the know, and less experienced in these matters, of filling people in, and does it simply and concisely, focusing on information.

Thanks for reading and considering the suggestion.
Old 05-26-2020, 1:28 PM

Can off roster handgun sales have its own forum? There seems to be tons of them in the for sale-handgun forum indicating that they have become more commonplace. I think it would cleanup the for sale-handgun forum, help gauge scarcity, and make it easier to browse overall.

Thank you
Old 05-26-2020, 7:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Exclamation

Can we mandate English, instead of "textspeak" in the Marketplace?

I click on a for sale thread where "Aimpoint (for example)" pops up, and there's a string of consonant-laden gibberish, that makes no sense whatsoever.
Old 05-27-2020, 4:54 AM

Under California 2nd Amendment political discussion I get this error message:

Error 500: Internal Server Error
The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

The problem is on the server side, not with your browser or the address. Most probably, a certain service (e.g., Tomcat engine) is down. Please contact your webmaster.
Old 05-27-2020, 8:17 AM
RSG Minion, Senior

Fixed? Opens for me.
Old 05-27-2020, 9:21 AM

No I still get the error message
Old 05-27-2020, 10:08 AM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

^^^

Old 05-27-2020, 12:26 PM

I am banned for changing my Amazon charity contributions?
Old 05-27-2020, 3:55 PM
RSG Minion, Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
I am banned for changing my Amazon charity contributions?
Only if you are sending them to Dems. (JK)

Maybe ask this question in the Technology forum, sound like a glitch.

After that, I suggest sending a PM to Kestryll. (Be a bit patient, he has been busy using the hammer.)

Good luck.
Old 05-27-2020, 4:16 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Under California 2nd Amendment political discussion I get this error message:

Error 500: Internal Server Error
The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

The problem is on the server side, not with your browser or the address. Most probably, a certain service (e.g., Tomcat engine) is down. Please contact your webmaster.
Another member reports the same, for the Handguns forum; dunno what's going on, but already referred to Mr K.

ETA 5-31 that member reports clearing cache in his browser fixed the problem.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 05-31-2020 at 8:31 AM..
Old 05-28-2020, 3:50 PM

A “like” button for quality posts would help make the content even better and encourage more quality content, because everyone likes to be liked.
Old 06-01-2020, 3:52 PM
Garv Overlord
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by octavecat View Post
you could ban people from being racist pieces of **** and saying things like "go back to africa" and making digs at asians all over the covid thread. that should not be allowed in these forums. you should have a code of conduct. we can disagree on politics or gun rights or whatever, but you're allowing this board to be overrun by white supremacists. i've done 3 FTF purchases from the marketplace this year and all 3 were non-white. it's just these jackasses ruining the message boards for everyone else by thinking this is a cool treehouse where they get to be racists. kick them out.
You should demand to speak to whoever is above the head mod!

Old 06-03-2020, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

I love the calguns community. Been around a while and have only ever had trouble with a few people.
I mostly only frequent the marketplace forums these days, but here are a few things I think would be beneficial.

I'd like to be able to privately mark/rate other members so I can keep track of who's trusted versus who seems sketchy, rude, or flaky.

I'd really like to have a 'don't show me this thread again' option. That way we don't have to scroll through page after page, re-reading all the old titles that are too far away, or are for things I'm just not interested in, or are being overvalued. I think this option would be helpful in all forums. Who wants to see the same post for months, if they are never going to be a part of it..?

Also would like to have all marketplace threads for members have to be approved by mods each time they FIRST post an ad in each respective sub forum.
I'm so tired of people not putting location in their title, much less not having it posted in the body of the OP.
Some don't list a price, we still have a lot of wtb ads being posted in sales forums, titles with "amp;" or whatever 10 times in a row because they tried to use the &, &, & they don't have a clue why it's not working...

Last edited by jlh95811; 06-03-2020 at 1:01 PM..
Old 06-03-2020, 8:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh95811 View Post
I love the calguns community. Been around a while and have only ever had trouble with a few people.

I mostly only frequent the marketplace forums these days, but here are a few things I think would be beneficial.

I'm so tired of people not putting location in their title, much less not having it posted in the body of the OP.

Some don't list a price, we still have a lot of wtb ads being posted in sales forums, titles with "amp;" or whatever 10 times in a row because they tried to use the &, &, & they don't have a clue why it's not working...
You can thank California's "schools"...pinnacles of education.

Old 06-06-2020, 5:05 PM

Default General EDC Discussion area (suggestion)

Just a suggestion...

Maybe it's somewhere and I'm just overlooking it on the site, but if not....

It would be nice if under the General Discussion area there were EDC specific general and sub-areas for example:

General EDC Discussion (and under that, the following):

EDC Pocket Knives Discussion
EDC Flashlights Discussion
EDC Pen Discussion
EDC Key Organizers Discussion
EDC Organizers Discussion
EDC Wallets Discusion
EDC Notepads Discussion

etc. or combine some like, EDC Pen / Notepad Discussion or EDC Keys & Wallet Discussions.

There are quite a few EDC threads spread out all over the site that can probably be combined into an EDC area.

Just my $0.02 cents.

https://cdn0.iconfinder.com/data/icons/flags-of-the-world-2/128/united-states-3-512.png

U.S. Army SGT 3ID 1st BN 30th IN Veteran DAV '84-'88 (Germany) | G43, P99C, PPS / PPQ M1 (Classic), HK P2000

War Is a Racket by Two-time Medal of Honor recipient, USMC MG Smedley Butler

Best Place to Retire