Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 06-24-2013, 5:25 PM

Default Any Fresno IDPA shooters?

Is there anyone here on calguns who shoots IDPA here in Fresno willing to help out a new shooter? I just have some basic questions on how to get started, equipment suggestions, and contact info for match cordinators. I have sent an email to the link provided on "the Ranges"website but haven't heard anything back yet.

I checked out a match at the Fresno rifle and pistol range this weekend and it was really cool, extreamly nice people but want to check out IDPA as well as USPDA matches.

Thanks

Last edited by imperials; 06-24-2013 at 5:45 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 6:56 PM

I can answer general IDPA questions not related to Fresno specifically. (though i did used to live there)
Competition is where you find out you're slow, can't see well, are not accurate, have poor gun handling, can't visualize, have equipment that doesn't work and either accept it OR DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
USPSA TY82278
IDPA A54426
Old 06-24-2013, 7:15 PM

I don't mean to thread jack but Im in the same boat. I would love to get into more of an aggressive shooting platform than just punching paper.
Old 06-24-2013, 7:26 PM

Been shooting it for about six months now and love it! Great practice way better than standing at the indoor range wasting bullets.....took third place overall last match and first in my division! you can learn a lot by looking at the IDPA web site and "you tube"....lost of good beginner info both places
Most of the further discussion beyond the clear concise answer is usually people just trying to convince others that the Penal Code/Case Law doesn't really apply because their uncle's friend's cousin's son-in-law works as a gardener for a retired judge from another state who might or might not have said he doesn't think it applies to a certain case that has absolutely nothing to do with the question the OP asked.
Old 06-24-2013, 7:52 PM

Hello! I shoot fresno Idpa and sometimes the uspsa matches. Email me for my number and I can get you in contact with the match director or we can shoot together.
I belong to The Fresno Range have been shooting for about 4 years mostly Fresno, Taft, and other fun and a couple bigger state matches. I'm also a certified IDPA safety officer and range SO. IDPa is really fun and easy to get into. You mostly need a belt, holster, three mags and mag carriers. One of the good things about Fresno right now is that there are ALOT of new shooters and you will be walked through the stages very patiently and with a lot of directions. The SOs are friendly and it's fun!

Db151_ca@yahoo.com

Btw! If you are in Fresno come to this... I'll be there with many other shooters and people interested about the threat on the 2nd amendment from Fresno area!

http://www.tugg.com/events/4542

Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire
Presented by Firearms Policy Coalition
Wednesday, June 26 7:30pm - 9:19pm
in Clovis, CA at Sierra Vista Cinemas 16 $12.00 General

Last edited by OliveCookieMonsta; 06-24-2013 at 8:01 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 9:45 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I've been reading the IDPA website for some info and watching some of the tips some guys posted on you tube.

I'm really trying to start off as basic as I could
Glock 19 no mods just better sights
Raven concealment holster/mag carriers
Wilderness instructors belt
5 magazines
I need a concealment garment still...
I have a dillon 650 so I would have to work up some ammo for this type of shooting.

Would you guys suggest just jumping into a match or watching a few to get a feel for it? I know have to do a qualifier first before starting?
Old 06-24-2013, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred1 View Post
I don't mean to thread jack but Im in the same boat. I would love to get into more of an aggressive shooting platform than just punching paper.
No worries, it looks like we are both ready to jump into the next level of shooting sports!!!
Old 06-24-2013, 10:12 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperials View Post
Would you guys suggest just jumping into a match or watching a few to get a feel for it? I know have to do a qualifier first before starting?
Ideally, I recommend taking some form of Intro to Competition class first. Not sure if they have anything in Fresno, but Sacramento puts one on.

If you want to come watch a serious competition, there is a regional championship this Sunday in Winton (just above Merced). There will be some top flight IDPA shooters competing in it.

http://safetyfirstshooting.org/html/ca_regional.html
Old 06-25-2013, 7:11 AM

I vote for jump into a local match. For your first match focus on being safe and listening to what you're told. Hopefully you like it!
Competition is where you find out you're slow, can't see well, are not accurate, have poor gun handling, can't visualize, have equipment that doesn't work and either accept it OR DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
USPSA TY82278
IDPA A54426
Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I'm really trying to start off as basic as I could
Glock 19 no mods just better sights
Raven concealment holster/mag carriers
Wilderness instructors belt
5 magazines
I need a concealment garment still...
I have a dillon 650 so I would have to work up some ammo for this type of shooting.
You have everything you need to get started, just throw on a unbuttoned work shirt for concealment

Quote:
I recommend just jumping in.

My local club (Sacto) holds Orientation classes several times a year and requires attendance before coming to a match. They cover all the commands, explains safety during a match and various IDPA shooting procedures...plus you get to shoot at least one stage with hints and critiques

You don't have to shoot a Classifier before your first match, but you will want to eventually so you're only competing with other shooters of your shill level

Last edited by 9mmepiphany; 06-25-2013 at 10:28 AM..
Old 06-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
If you want to come watch a serious competition, there is a regional championship this Sunday in Winton (just above Merced). There will be some top flight IDPA shooters competing in it.

http://safetyfirstshooting.org/html/ca_regional.html
This is a good match to come see how it is done. It is small enough to not be intimidating, the folks are friendly and there will be some top shooters there.

Gryff - Did you ever find a K-22?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatt View Post
I vote for jump into a local match. For your first match focus on being safe and listening to what you're told. Hopefully you like it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
I recommend just jumping in.
The only reason I disagree with this is because most new competitors have zero experience drawing from a holster, moving safely with a loaded firearm in your hand, or doing anything firearm-related while under pressure. Not to say that a person couldn't do it (I did), but it will make you a lot more comfortable if you get your initial experience in a controlled environment without an audience of experienced shooters.

If you are already comfortable working out of the holster, and moving with an instinctive sense of safety, then there is nothing wrong with jumping right in (if the range/club allows it). If you are going to just do it, and don't have a lot of holster experience, then I recommend spending 30-60 minutes practicing with an unloaded gun at home before showing up for the match.

Those of us who run clubs want you to come out, and want you to have fun. But everyone's safety is always our first priority. It will not endear the sport to you (or you to fellow shooters) if you are sent home early for dropping a gun or sweeping somebody with a loaded pistol. People don't realize that having that timer running behind you, as well as having an audience, creates a sense of pressure that most are unfamiliar with when handling a weapon. It's not a huge deal, but you'll be a lot more comfortable if safety in a dynamic environment is already second-nature to you.

If a class is not an option, then practice beforehand, come out, and then take your time during the match. Focus on slow, safe, and smooth rather than going fast.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:40 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Gryff - Did you ever find a K-22?
No. Too many things higher on the Wanted list and not enough funds. M&P Pro is the next acquisition.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No. Too many things higher on the Wanted list and not enough funds. M&P Pro is the next acquisition.
I'll talk to you in Winton on Sunday
Old 06-25-2013, 11:27 AM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
I'll talk to you in Winton on Sunday
I'll be in Bay 7 (Stages 8, 9, and 10).
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Oh good, I have questions about Stage 9 already
Old 06-25-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The only reason I disagree with this is because most new competitors have zero experience drawing from a holster, moving safely with a loaded firearm in your hand, or doing anything firearm-related while under pressure. Not to say that a person couldn't do it (I did), but it will make you a lot more comfortable if you get your initial experience in a controlled environment without an audience of experienced shooters.

If you are already comfortable working out of the holster, and moving with an instinctive sense of safety, then there is nothing wrong with jumping right in (if the range/club allows it). If you are going to just do it, and don't have a lot of holster experience, then I recommend spending 30-60 minutes practicing with an unloaded gun at home before showing up for the match.

Those of us who run clubs want you to come out, and want you to have fun. But everyone's safety is always our first priority. It will not endear the sport to you (or you to fellow shooters) if you are sent home early for dropping a gun or sweeping somebody with a loaded pistol. People don't realize that having that timer running behind you, as well as having an audience, creates a sense of pressure that most are unfamiliar with when handling a weapon. It's not a huge deal, but you'll be a lot more comfortable if safety in a dynamic environment is already second-nature to you.

If a class is not an option, then practice beforehand, come out, and then take your time during the match. Focus on slow, safe, and smooth rather than going fast.
This is very sound advice and completely agree with all that you are saying... Maybe I used the wrong adjective when I described myself as a "new shooter" maybe I should have used new to competitive shooting. Even with that said I would like to still take an intro course if possible to be familiar with the commands and procedures of IDPA so I don't look like a total newbe lol
Old 06-25-2013, 12:49 PM

With a competent SO and a shooter with no ego, ready to listen I think you can just jump right in. Gryff said he did, and I did to.

But I will agree with him that if a class is available beforehand, take it. But if not, don't hesitate to try it.

One thing I will try to push is that if you do like it, please join IDPA. There is a rule lots of clubs don't follow that you have to be an idpa member after one match and I think it is one that should be followed. So if you do like it and want to do more, please join the org, it's only $40.
USPSA TY82278
IDPA A54426
Old 06-29-2013, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Is there anyone here on calguns who shoots IDPA here in Fresno willing to help out a new shooter?
Show up early (6pm) at The Range on Friday July 12th for IDPA. The Match Coordinator will have a New Shooter meeting, explain all the rules and answer any questions you may have. You don't need a concealment garment starting out, but you should get something down the line. Everyone is really friendly and willing to help.

You will need about 100 rounds, but will shoot less than that. It sounds like you have everything as far as equipment goes. See you there!

NRA - Life Member | NRA Certified Instructor
SAF - Life Member | CRPA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
Old 07-07-2013, 5:17 PM
CGN Contributor

USPSA matches at the Fresno Rifle and Pistol club on the 2nd Sunday and the 4th Saturday of every month, shooting starts around 9:30 - 10:00 am. they are real friendly to new comers, come watch or come play its your choice.
Old 07-15-2013, 7:04 PM

Update:

I attended my first IDPA match last Friday. I had a great time. I was extremely impressed with how well the match was ran considering how many shooters there were.
The participants and SO's were very friendly and I felt very welcomed and I never felt judged or looked down upon because I was new. I feel there was a great diversity of shooters...young, old, male, female, and of all skill levels.

I would like to thank all in the thread who helped with all the great suggestions and info.

If your thinking of getting into IDPA... Stop thinking and just do it it!!!