Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-04-2019, 6:31 PM

Default Got my Marlin XT-22!

Let me start by saying I currently have three Marlin rifles in the safe, an 1894 in .44 mag, an 1894 Cowboy Limited in .357 mag, and a 795 (in .22lr obviously). Used to own a 39 TDS as well, but foolishly traded it away. Currently in the process of aquiring a 39a to replace the TDS, but that is a story for another time. All were made at the North Haven, Connecticut plant. Was mulling over a 925 when the Great .22lr Ammo Shortage Hit about ten years ago. No sense picking up another .22lr when I can barely feed the ones I already have.

Of course, the 925 has since been replaced with the XT-22. The 925 had a reputation for having a hit or miss trigger from the factory, with little in the way of aftermarket options should your 925 come with a sub-par trigger. The new XT-22 copies the Savage Accutrigger, which I suppose allows Marlin to feel okay about putting a good adjustable trigger on their .22lr bolt action rifles.

Anyways, now that .22lr is available again at a reasonable price, I decided to go ahead and pick up yet another bolt action .22 and I decided to give the new Freedom Group owned Marlin a chance so I ordered one from a local dealer. There are actually several options and combinations (plastic or hardwood stock, tube or detachable box magazine, stainless or blued, etc.) but I went with a blued finish, hardwood stock, detachable box magazine, and iron sights.

So I was able to pick up the rifle earlier today and give it a little bit of a closer look than I was able to in the shop. Fit and finish is very good for a budget rifle (it cost me $285 OTD). Bluing isn't as nice as my CZ 452, but much better than my Romanian M1969. Bolt cycles smoothly and locks up tightly.

The hardwood stock is plain but mostly well fitted. Sights look straight as far as I can tell. Alas, the tip of the forend is visibly asymmetrical and touches the barrel a bit on the right side, so it isn't free-floated. That's really the only complaint. I mean, I could nitpick and say the trigger has visible tool marks on the side of it, but that's about it.

I plan to shoot it with the iron sights this weekend and will probably put a 2-7x rimfire scope on it in the future. I tried taking a few picture but they all came out looking terrible so I won't bother to post them. The rifle ain't exactly a looker anyways. Hiwever, a good barrel and trigger are more important to me so I will be happy if it groups well.

BTW, I haven't exactly been following the goings-on at Marlin too closely of late and for some reason I was expecting my XT-22 to have been made in the new Kentucky plant. It isn't. It says "Huntsville AL" on it. Fine by me as long as it shoots well.

Anyone else have an XT-22 or one of the older 925's or even older 25's? How do you like it?
Old 02-11-2019, 7:37 PM

I was able to shoot the XT-22 this past weekend at ASR in Sylmar. It was mainly a function test with the iron sights so I was plinking at the pistol gallery with it. About 200 rounds of Federal Auto Match 40 grain LRN bulk pack ammo. 100% feeding, firing, and ejecting. I used the supplied 7-round magazine for 21 shots and although it worked fine, I liked using my 10-rounders better.

I brought two 10-round factory mags for my Marlin 795 along as well and those also worked perfectly. And they fit in the babyUPLULA mag loader better, which is why I used them for the rest of the afternoon. That's right, Marlin 795 mags work 100% in the Marlin XT-22! No last shot bolt hold open of course, but they insert, feed, and remove flawlessly. I think I will forego picking up spare 7-rounders and just get a few more 10-rounders as spare magazines. 7- rounders aren't flush-fitting so the shorter mags don't offer much advantage.

Didn't shoot any paper but the rifle was able to hit any and all of the various steel targets at 35 and 50 yards. At 100 yards I could only hit the big ones, mainly due to the poor sights. Trigger broke cleanly right out of the box and I never felt like it was hindering me so I probably will leave it alone. However, it is adjustable. So all in all, I am happy with it. No real warts on this rifle: it's reliable, it hits anything I can see out to 50 yards, and it doesn't cost a whole lot.

Obligatory bad picture of the action:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:39 PM

I have a tube fed xt22 and use it a lot for shooting cb shorts out of it. Only thing I did to it was change the factory sights to tech sights. Very accurate and very nice trigger.
Old 02-15-2019, 7:09 AM

Oh, cool! Even though it is an almost complete opposite of what I ended up with, I was seriously considering the XT-22 TSR (tube-fed, stainless steel, and synthetic stock). If they offered that configuration with a laminated stock I probably would have went with it

So the Tech Sight worked out well for you? I have one on my 795 but was worried that on the XT-22 the rear sight might be too far forward due to the mounting point. Would be nice to have a set of Tech Sights on a bolt-action 22
Old 02-15-2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle Bailey View Post
Oh, cool! Even though it is an almost complete opposite of what I ended up with, I was seriously considering the XT-22 TSR (tube-fed, stainless steel, and synthetic stock). If they offered that configuration with a laminated stock I probably would have went with it

So the Tech Sight worked out well for you? I have one on my 795 but was worried that on the XT-22 the rear sight might be too far forward due to the mounting point. Would be nice to have a set of Tech Sights on a bolt-action 22
On mine I pushed the factory rear sight out and the tech sight mounted to the top of the receiver where the bolt is at.
Old 02-16-2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_t0ny View Post
I have a tube fed xt22 and use it a lot for shooting cb shorts out of it. Only thing I did to it was change the factory sights to tech sights. Very accurate and very nice trigger.

I am considering the XT-22 TSR, any recommendations?
Old 02-17-2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usr1987 View Post
Go for it you wonít regret it. I bought the blued version instead of stainless because it was what they had at the shop and I was already had a dros going for another firearm, but the stainless finish does look nice. Not sure if itíll have any glare issues. I also bought replacement tech sights right off the bat because I did not like the factory iron sights. Other than that I might buy a replacement stock but for now itís good to go.
Old 02-19-2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usr1987 View Post
I have one, get it you wonít regret it. Only thing I did was change out the stock cause I like look of wood stock. Iíve shot 22 lr, shorts, longs no problem. Nothing beats filling it with 25 shorts and plinking away while guys keep having to reload their mags.
Old 02-20-2019, 1:50 AM

+2 on the xt-22... can't go wrong with it. I have the xt-22tr version which is the tube model and I love it. Enjoyed plus I have an few marlin myself big fan of that company