Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-08-2017, 9:34 AM

Default Match ammo. Target shooters..

I want to dust off the Remington 513-T I've had since I was 12 and see just what I can get out of it for accuracy. Back then we just shot what the club provided but there seems to be a lot of choices for more accurate "match grade" 22lr these days. The gun is 27" heavy barrel built for target shooting, built in 1962.

Ideas for most accurate ammo for the rifle? Seems some offerings from Eley have good feedback. Don't want to go broke but I'll spend $20+ on a box just to see what the gun will do. Thanks for any input.

Edit: Oh yeah, found some 22lr at the local walmart yesterday. Haven't seen any there literally for years. Limit 3 per customer but granny was along and seems she "needed" some too. Bagged 600 rds for a little over 0.07/per. to feed the rest of the 22 family.

Last edited by Grampz; 01-08-2017 at 9:40 AM..
Old 01-08-2017, 9:42 AM

Rimfirecentral.com has a wealth of info on 22LRs and ammo.

In addition to Eley, the SK Standard Plus is pretty good at about 12 cents a round or the SK Rifle Match.

And at a more reasonable price point a lot of guys say they get good results with CCI Standard Velocity (non mini-mags).
Old 01-08-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampz View Post
Ideas for most accurate ammo for the rifle? Seems some offerings from Eley have good feedback. Don't want to go broke but I'll spend $20+ on a box just to see what the gun will do. Thanks for any input.

I buy target ammo at 3 online sites, mainly based on a balance of price and shipping costs (low or flat rate shipping).
  • SG: Decent mid-grade target ammo (what I shoot), stocking generally their high end being things like Wolf Match Extra/SK Rifle Match.
  • Graf: Anything up to Tenex, higher price than other places, but below others when on sale (frequent sales on various ammo).
  • Selway: Similar selection to Graf, but lower regular pricing, and as I recall, low flat rate shipping.

If Selway had Tenex in stock, it would be under your price cap. Graf's has Tenex, but currently at $22, but they have Tenex Pistol on sale for $17, so if you dollar cost average by getting some of each, you'd be under your cap. Both Graf and SG would have R50/R100, Midas+, and Federal Ultra Match under your cap, for the higher end of the RWS, Lapua, and Federal lines.

Your rifle may actually prefer some of the mid-grade target/match ammos, but I wouldn't start below SK Standard +/Wolf Match Target, Eley Club, or maybe RWS Target, if you want to eliminate ammo variation as being the driving factor on consistent accuracy. You have plenty of choice between those bookends, like Center-X, which many folks have great results from. Basically any standard velocity under the Wolf/SK/Lapua (all same company), or Eley lines will be decent shooters.

Post some targets at some point. I'd love to see that that rifle will do too.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Wolf Match Target is astonishingly accurate. Best I've ever used and that was out of semi autos.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:29 AM

Thanks all! I ordered a sampling from Midway. 3 each variety from Eley and SK. When I get a chance to shoot them I'll post results. That was my second rifle growing up. First was a Rem single shot bolt gun and then the Matchmaster. Sold the SS to a friend in high school. Would be cool to still have that too. Aw well. I do have the Rem 33 that was my dad's first rifle. I'm sure he put a few critters in the stew pot with that back in the PA woods where he grew up. It needs some attention. It's had so many rounds through it it has some(maybe too much) wear on the bolt. Doesn't always fire unless you press forward on the bolt handle and it "spits" at you a little. Maybe just worn beyond redemption. Sure like to teach the grandkids on that but we have other 22s for that.
Old 01-08-2017, 3:53 PM

There are a lot better places to buy ammo than Midway, like $5 a box cheaper for good ammo like RWS-R50. Shop around and save
Old 01-08-2017, 4:07 PM
Calguns Addict

You will have to shoot an assortment of ammo to find out which brand and lot number works the best in your rifle..
Old 01-08-2017, 4:14 PM
Veteran Member

I went Distinguished Expert with mine, using Remington Thunderbolt. The rifle isn't too picky.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 01-08-2017, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrail View Post
And at a more reasonable price point a lot of guys say they get good results with CCI Standard Velocity (non mini-mags).
I tell most guys who want to experiment with shooting off the bench to try CCI SV first. Hard to beat at $10/100 and many find it's plenty good enough for their wants.

Wolf MT/SK S+ (same thing, different box) is often better in a particular gun but sometimes not by much. In my experience it shoots very well out of a wide variety of rifles.

You can pay 100% or more than the above brands cost, and might only gain 10% better groups based upon limitations of the rifle/optics/rest and the skill of the shooter.
Old 01-09-2017, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
You can pay 100% or more than the above brands cost, and might only gain 10% better groups based upon limitations of the rifle/optics/rest and the skill of the shooter.
I think that's because what you are paying for is consistency, not necessarily better groups. Better groups has to do with compatibilty of the ammo to the gun, plus consistency (if the shooter is constant).

CCI SV is my goto practice ammo, and it's very compatible with my gun; meaning it produces great groups. I was looking over old range targets, and I'd say I get about 4 or 5 sub 1/4" five shot groups (@50) during a range session, but not in a row. It, however, seems to be an ammo that responds well to sorting by weight (not rim thickness), which seems to indicate the charge and primer is fairly consistent.

Wolf Match Target/SK+ is more consistent in my gun, but the sub 1/4" groups are rare. I've tried Wolf Match Extra/SK Rifle Match, and got better consistency, but not smaller groups. I've also tried Tenex and R50 that some guys at the range gave me to try, and they were so consistent, they felt effortless to shoot sub 1/2", but I didn't try enough to see their full potential (and I'm glad, since I'd probably get spoiled).

GECO (RWS) Semi-Auto shoots best in my gun, as far as consistency and compatibility goes, and falls within my 12 cent per round pain point. So I have a ton of CCI SV and GECO for practice and attempting to shoot targets for groups. Eley Club does about the same as GECO, but costs more.

All of the ammo above will shoot consitently under 1/2" at 50 for my gun, but I seem switch back and forth between GECO and SK+ when shooting for groups, trying to balance between the consistency and accuracy trying to get the best 4 group average.

If the OP wants to save money, he could try the mid-grade of a particular line of ammo first to see what the gun likes, then step it up a couple of levels in that line to see that the gun can really do (across several groups); with the possible downside of getting hooked on ammo that's above what he might be comfortable paying for.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Some assorted grades of SV ammo here... they ship flat rate. 6 bricks ships for $10.

6 bricks of some of that match ammo is some serious dinero!

http://www.ammofast.com/collections/22lr?page=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 01-10-2017, 3:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Eley wins more Benchrest matches than all the other brands combined and it's not very close at that.
Zanders and Killough have the best prices.
You can send your gun to Dan Killough and for a modest fee he will take it next door to the Eley test facility and shoot 20 types of ammunition through it. Then after looking at the targets you can pick which ammo you want.
He will even set your tuner if you have one.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!