Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-01-2017, 1:23 AM

Default First firearm

Hello!

I'm a new member and I was looking at buying my first ever firearm. My parents are from the Philippines and had a rough upbringing with violence in their neighborhood so they didn't really see the allure of guns or anything, so I guess I'm getting a later start than some. Anyway, I've been researching and looking for .22 bolt action rifle. I was debating between the marlin XT22 and savage mark II. I'm also open to any other types that you guys may recommend. I'm a college student so I'm kind of on a budget, and while I realize this isn't the cheapest hobby, it's been something I've been wanting to get into for a long time. I want to get into hunting at some point in time so that's why I've kind of settled on a bolt action .22. I've been speaking with other individuals through other mediums but it never hurts to get a second opinion, heck, you guys are local enough so it's nice getting an opinion from people that know the rules and regulations of the state. Some of the guys I'm talking with about this are from pennysylvania or texas and those are totally different places in terms of regulations.

Anyway, thank you for your time, and Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2017, 2:34 AM

I don't have a bolt action .22 rifle - just a couple of different 10/22's and an old Marlin 60., but many here are CZ fans, as well as fans of other bolt actions, so you'll get some good advice here. Welcome to the forums! Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2017, 3:05 AM

for someone on a budget, I'd recommend shopping the secondary market..

you can find some great deals on nice older guns that will yield good performance..

gunbroker is a good source but due to shipping and higher transfer fees, might try local shops with used guns..

these are .22wmr but they were both excellent bargains and they both work great..

I prefer tube feeders in this type of rifle for the flat bottom with no protruding magazine..

good luck

Old 01-01-2017, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
I prefer tube feeders in this type of rifle for the flat bottom with no protruding magazine..
Plus with tube fed you can legally have more than 10-round capacity in a rim fire 22. The Marlin model 60 can be found for less than $200 used or on sale. Out of the box accuracy is good, however it is semi auto (not bolt action). That means you'll have to get used to having more fun shooting and spending on ammo.

Welcome, and mabuhay pare!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:14 AM

Savage bolt action. Inexpensive, accurate and safe as a bolt action rifle can be.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:52 AM

I second the Savage. I have a Mark II and like it. Put a Nikon scope on it for a little over a hundred and your good to go.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

10/22 has crazy aftermarket for when you wanna upgrade it down the road.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

These would be my top two picks for a bolt action 22.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/72778 What's cool about it, is you can load it with either 22 short or 22 long rifle

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...per+Mica+Stock What's cool about it, is it uses same magazines as the 10/22
Old 01-01-2017, 1:50 PM

Savage Mark II with a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire scope is all you need.
Old 01-01-2017, 2:28 PM
Veteran Member

You might also take a look at the Henry model H001. Its a very well built Lever gun. Like the bolt actions, you can also shot 22LR, 22Long and 22Short.

I think this is a very good beginner gun.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 01-01-2017, 7:12 PM

Thank you for all the responses! I've been looking around and so far I've found a store in Stockton, named KW-Defense. I'm located in San Leandro so anywhere in the area where you guys could recommend that is a reputable store, I'm more than open to suggestions. I go to school in Stockton so that's the only reason I thought about it. I've looked at the CZ but it's a bit higher priced than the Savage or the Marlin so I haven't really thought about it. If there is one that is pretty reasonably priced I would be willing to purchase it. The CZ-452 right?

Last edited by GoldShifter; 01-01-2017 at 7:17 PM..
Old 01-01-2017, 10:18 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor

I have a CZ 452. It's discontinued. The one in production is 455. The difference is that the 452 has sights, but 455 doesn't. It's about $100-150 higher than the XT-22, but quality is noticeably better. I sold the XT22 to get the CZ452.
Old 01-02-2017, 6:31 AM

If possible, try out different types of rifles. Bolt action, semi auto, lever gun; you may find you like something different than you think. No matter what, you will enjoy .22 shooting.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.
Old 01-02-2017, 6:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Savage or the Marlin would be a good choice. Think whatever you decide to buy it likely won't be your last rimfire rifle. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2017, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldShifter View Post
Thank you for all the responses! I've been looking around and so far I've found a store in Stockton, named KW-Defense. I'm located in San Leandro so anywhere in the area where you guys could recommend that is a reputable store, I'm more than open to suggestions. I go to school in Stockton so that's the only reason I thought about it. I've looked at the CZ but it's a bit higher priced than the Savage or the Marlin so I haven't really thought about it. If there is one that is pretty reasonably priced I would be willing to purchase it. The CZ-452 right?
I live in Stockton but my go to LGS is Elite Firearms in Manteca. I have purchased the majority of my firearms from them. The sales staff is very patient with inexperienced gun buyers and will spend time with you answer your questions. They would rather spend a couple of hours to find a firearm that will work for you than sell you something that you end up hating after shooting once or twice.

They are on the high end for transfer fees if you are having a gun shipped to them so I do not use them for that.

Another good LGS for you since you commute from San Leandro to Stockton for school is Tracy Rifle and Pistol in Tracy. Many people here have had great experience with them.

I cannot make a recommendation for a bolt action rifle. I own a couple of 10/22s, one is a home build, and one Henry lever action. I am not a fan of bolt action guns.

Whatever you decide on, just know it will not be your one and only gun. You are starting a lifelong addiction. Most of us started our addiction with a .22 rifle.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 01-02-2017, 7:16 PM

Mabuhey,

Look for a used bolt gun of any flavor for around a hunnerd bucks. Take someone with knowledge with you when shopping. Soon you'll be wanting a Mosin & an SKS.

Couple FFLs out my way have a fair selection of new & used .22s.

My pops and many relatives were in the 1st Filipino regiment during WWII. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 01-02-2017, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordupmybrotha View Post
I have a CZ 452. It's discontinued. The one in production is 455. The difference is that the 452 has sights, but 455 doesn't. It's about $100-150 higher than the XT-22, but quality is noticeably better. I sold the XT22 to get the CZ452.
They have 455s with irons on them. But I did hear they(CZ) cut some stuff off from the 452s to save costs with the 455.

edit: you can switch barrels on a 455 a lot easier.
Old 01-02-2017, 7:32 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varg Vikernes View Post
They have 455s with irons on them. But I did hear they(CZ) cut some stuff off from the 452s to save costs with the 455.

Both CZ 452 and 455 have different models, some with sights, some without.

The 455 is slightly different. The major difference is 452 has the traditional threaded receiver, whereas the 455 has a slip-fit. Makes 455 easier to manufacture but also easier to change barrels. I have a 452 in my safe but I have not noticed any difference in performance between them and the 455 at Appleseed.

To the OP, Marlin, Savage, and CZ all make outstanding bolt rimfires. Shoulder and see which fits you best, and rock on.

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 01-03-2017, 4:12 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varg Vikernes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
Both CZ 452 and 455 have different models, some with sights, some without.

The 455 is slightly different. The major difference is 452 has the traditional threaded receiver, whereas the 455 has a slip-fit. Makes 455 easier to manufacture but also easier to change barrels. I have a 452 in my safe but I have not noticed any difference in performance between them and the 455 at Appleseed.

To the OP, Marlin, Savage, and CZ all make outstanding bolt rimfires. Shoulder and see which fits you best, and rock on.

Correctomundo I was thinking of just the American and the Varmint models, but there are several others (Lux, FS, Scout, and Training) that have iron sights.
Old 01-03-2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
Savage bolt action. Inexpensive, accurate and safe as a bolt action rifle can be.
I love my Mark II FSS.
Old 01-03-2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldShifter View Post
Hello!

I'm a new member and I was looking at buying my first ever firearm. My parents are from the Philippines and had a rough upbringing with violence in their neighborhood so they didn't really see the allure of guns or anything, so I guess I'm getting a later start than some. Anyway, I've been researching and looking for .22 bolt action rifle. I was debating between the marlin XT22 and savage mark II. I'm also open to any other types that you guys may recommend. I'm a college student so I'm kind of on a budget, and while I realize this isn't the cheapest hobby, it's been something I've been wanting to get into for a long time. I want to get into hunting at some point in time so that's why I've kind of settled on a bolt action .22. I've been speaking with other individuals through other mediums but it never hurts to get a second opinion, heck, you guys are local enough so it's nice getting an opinion from people that know the rules and regulations of the state. Some of the guys I'm talking with about this are from pennysylvania or texas and those are totally different places in terms of regulations.

Anyway, thank you for your time, and Happy New Year!

Check out the new Savage B22s.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you as well GoldShifter.

Savage Arms Introduces New B-Series Bolt Action Rimfire Rifles

SUFFIELD, Connecticut - December 14, 2016 - Savage Arms is pleased to introduce ... new firearms with the B17, B22 and B22 Magnum bolt-action rimfire rifles.