Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-24-2016, 9:07 AM

Default 2017... Are Ruger Charger Pistol owners only options Register or send out of CA?

I get that the "Charger" owners group in CA is not huge, but wondering if anyone has worked through a practical solution to the new laws

Has anyone thought of a way to have a "fixed mag" on a 10/22 platform?
I know the HC Mags company makes the HC3R, but those are high capacity. I assume one crafty enough could mod one to only take 10 rnds, but you would have to take possession and modify it outside "enemy" lines. Are there any known bottom feed mags that are 10rnd that could be fixed?

I don't have a big beef against registering it, my ONLY gripe would be I couldn't pass it down the family tree. Thats BS for a range toy/plinker. If I had a full auto AK or a 50Cal I would get it, but this collateral damage crap is infuriating.

My current plan is to just register it, and over the next 10 years either keep my eye out for other innovations. I considered just fixing the mag and feeding it through the ejection port, but I still want to shoot this gun and enjoy it, so looking for practical solutions that dont destroy the usability... only hinder it a bit...

I guess I could always fix the mag and "de-register" it in the future?

Any charger owners have a different plan? Care to share?
Old 12-24-2016, 9:43 AM
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpyro View Post
the new laws don't include rimfires.
They do include rimfire pistols. Rimfire pistols are not exempt from AW laws, only rimfire long guns are exempt.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 12-24-2016, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

Follow the CA Handgun Ban. ID flowchart at the top. Here is a link for those not familiar with the Ruger.

http://www.ruger.com/products/22Charger/models.html

I'll wait for other to chime in who are more knowledgeable but I think you will have to register it.
Old 12-24-2016, 9:54 AM
retired Goon

AFAIK...

Currently, there is no practical fixed magazine option for the Ruger Charger that will be compliant under the new changes to the CA assault weapons laws.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 12-24-2016 at 10:08 AM..
Old 12-24-2016, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Those mags are cool!

You will need a way to make the magazine fixed. I'm not going to dig my 10/22 and mags out of the safe but maybe someone more creative than me can think of a way to make a fixed mag. Loading it through the ejection port would be a challenge. Maybe just load into the chamber and make a single shot.

Is there any way to make it a rifle? I don't see the laws in CA changing so even if you could make it a fixed mag and pass it on to your kids, it would be a single shot or difficult to load handgun.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

Barrel is 10"?

Maybe find a 6" shroud to permanently attach? Something like this, although I'm. It sure of the length on this shroud.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/ar-22-ser...ers/ar-22-sb-x
Old 12-24-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
Those mags are cool!

You will need a way to make the magazine fixed. I'm not going to dig my 10/22 and mags out of the safe but maybe someone more creative than me can think of a way to make a fixed mag. Loading it through the ejection port would be a challenge. Maybe just load into the chamber and make a single shot.

Is there any way to make it a rifle? I don't see the laws in CA changing so even if you could make it a fixed mag and pass it on to your kids, it would be a single shot or difficult to load handgun.
I currently have a "BB" on it now, so its not a far cry to permanently fix the mag, but at that point it would just be a single load through the ejection port.

Not interested in making it a 10/22, that is the whole appeal to this little guy. looks like I will be registering it next year, and looking for a decent "fixed mag" solution in the years to come to potentially "de-register"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATEWA View Post
Barrel is 10"?

Maybe find a 6" shroud to permanently attach? Something like this, although I'm. It sure of the length on this shroud.

http://www.tacticalsol.com/ar-22-ser...ers/ar-22-sb-x
I think you misunderstood my question, I am dealing with a ruger charger pistol, based off a ruger 10/22 rifle. not an AR platform.
At least once i register it I should be able to install a nice extra long mag release to make it alot more fun at the range...
Old 12-24-2016, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus924 View Post
I currently have a "BB" on it now, so its not a far cry to permanently fix the mag, but at that point it would just be a single load through the ejection port.

Not interested in making it a 10/22, that is the whole appeal to this little guy. looks like I will be registering it next year, and looking for a decent "fixed mag" solution in the years to come to potentially "de-register"

I think you misunderstood my question, I am dealing with a ruger charger pistol, based off a ruger 10/22 rifle. not an AR platform.
At least once i register it I should be able to install a nice extra long mag release to make it alot more fun at the range...
Yeah - I know you aren't trying to make an ar22. I was showing you the shroud in case you wanted to make it a rifle. Yeah, I'd probably register it and hopefully your kids move out of this state so you can give it to them.
Old 12-25-2016, 7:24 PM

I have been tossing around the idea of building a 10/22 Charger from an 80%. When I ran into this. It is still in production. It would just need an added spring to lock the bolt after charging.

I was speaking to a a gentleman named Andrew colossic@gmail.com

In my correspondence with him, I asked if this bolt lock could work to create a bolt action Ruger 10/22.

I got a few responses from him that shed a positive light
If anybody else is interested in this idea. I invite you to email him.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:48 AM

Any Interest?
Old 01-04-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex5626 View Post
I have been tossing around the idea of building a 10/22 Charger from an 80%. When I ran into this. It is still in production. It would just need an added spring to lock the bolt after charging.

I was speaking to a a gentleman named Andrew colossic@gmail.com

In my correspondence with him, I asked if this bolt lock could work to create a bolt action Ruger 10/22.

I got a few responses from him that shed a positive light
If anybody else is interested in this idea. I invite you to email him.

I was investigating this about a year ago when I was considering building a Charger from a 80% receiver. I was looking for a way to build it as a bolt action that I could readily convert to semiautomatic without too much trouble when I am able to move out of state in a few more years.

The issue I have with this bolt lock is that while it is installed, the user can readily select between bolt action or semi-auto. I do not want to risk my freedom in a legal battle that it is in fact a bolt action just because I chose to not unlock it so it can operate as a semi-auto.

Without a legal precedent, I am not willing to risk my freedom that once a SSE 2.0 handgun is manufactured that one can then change it to a semi-auto without violating the statutes on manufacturing an unsafe handgun.

I looked at several YouTube videos and other sites to see how it was constructed and I could not readily figure out a way to permanently engage the lock so it would only operate as a bolt action. If the lock was disabled, it operates as a semi-auto.

I am sure it could be done but I did not want to spend $85 on one to use as a prototype to play with. I would likely need a few to work out a solution that I would be comfortable with.

I am sure a solution can be engineered. The problem is there is not enough demand for anyone to design a product and bring it to market and make a profit. It is a niche market, the very small number of CA gun people that want a Charger and are willing to have a neutered bolt action version over the semi-auto version. Since under SSE 2.0, the firearm cannot start life as a semi-auto, that prevents buying a Charger and having this installed.

IIRC, one cannot buy a 10/22 receiver that has never been made into a complete firearm and then build it into a hand gun. So one has to start with an 80% and that option will become less palatable for many after this year.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 01-04-2017, 2:18 PM

i will just be registering mine, its a shame these are "assult" pistols and cant be sold off the shelf in CA, they are an absolute blast to plink with. Hit clays pretty reliably at 100yrds with green dot sight.
Old 01-04-2017, 2:22 PM

I guess you could buy a stock and a rifle length barrel?
Old 01-04-2017, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvigue View Post
I guess you could buy a stock and a rifle length barrel?
Although this may be true, it would ruin the weapon. I am not afraid to have a gun registered with the state, they already know what guns ive bought in the last few years... just prefer not to if there is a legal work-around without ruining the entire point of the firearm. If there wasnt a "cant pass it down to your kids" clause, id probably just register every AR and AK I own... thats a deal breaker. If I have to sell my $300 plinker out of state when im 70, thats ok. Hell, maybe by then my kids will be out of state and they can own it like a free citizen without any restrictions........