Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-03-2017, 9:57 AM

Default 22LR AR's

I have 2 AR's built up as dedicated .22lr with Taccom parts. The lowers are both mil spec AR15 builds with pistol grips and collapsible stocks.

Even though they are dedicated rimfire, there is the possibility for me to take one of my .556 AR uppers and attach it to one of these lowers. My .556 AR lowers are featureless.

My personal preference for shooting is by caliber so I most likely will not have the .22LR AR's out with my .556 AR's but I suppose there could be an issue of intent here?

I know it's far fetched but do any of you think this could lead to any problems?
Old 01-03-2017, 10:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Let's see what Kamala-toes regs say about it?
Old 01-04-2017, 2:17 PM

I will not comply with awb registration so I am selling off anything to do with 5.56/.223. Going to build another really nice 22 upper and call it a day. That way I don't have to worry about any constructive possession charges etc. I am going to cut a buffer in half and glue a pressure plug to the front of it so there is no question that my lowers will NOT function in 5.56/.223
Old 01-04-2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavid67 View Post
I have 2 AR's built up as dedicated .22lr with Taccom parts. The lowers are both mil spec AR15 builds with pistol grips and collapsible stocks.

Even though they are dedicated rimfire, there is the possibility for me to take one of my .556 AR uppers and attach it to one of these lowers. My .556 AR lowers are featureless.

My personal preference for shooting is by caliber so I most likely will not have the .22LR AR's out with my .556 AR's but I suppose there could be an issue of intent here?

I know it's far fetched but do any of you think this could lead to any problems?
Just like most forum visitors I have NO legal background, just offering my thoughts ...

If it were me, and all of the 223 uppers are ATTACHED to lowers that are featureless, I wouldn't worry.

If you had a 22lr AR and a complete centerfire upper receiver without a lower attached, I would say that is a no-no.

"constructive intent" has to have its limitations. owning a legal AR pistol, and legal AR Rifle would not land you in jail. If you swap uppers, however, your now committing a felony.

Parts are a bigger issue, complete firearms shouldn't be as much of a concern.

the old "I own a hacksaw and a rifle, is there intent for an SBR?" thought comes to mind.
I think it would be hard to be arrested on intent unless it was a real threat. like "John owns 4 AK47 rifles, and 4 boxes next to those rifles labeled 'Full Auto Kits'. The boxes contain parts to make an AK rifle operate in full auto"
In this scenario, John is probably getting locked up if his inventory is identified by authorities.

again, I have no legal proof of my thoughts, just how I see it...

Edit:
One thing I didn't see clarification on, your Upper is a 1:16 or similar "22lr" barrel, right? If it was just a conersion bolt in a 223 1:9 or 1:7 barrel with full gas system, i would see that as a problem..... (I have a conversion bolt that I have fun with, but only in compliant featureless or fixed mag rifles...)

Last edited by Maximus924; 01-04-2017 at 3:24 PM..