Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 2:18 PM

Two questions:

1. If I'm receiving death threats, will it improve my chances to get a LTC in LA County?
1a. If yes, anyone want to send me some death threats?

2. If someone hires me to be his or her bodyguard, will it improve my chances?
2a. If yes, would it suffice if I were to hire myself as my own bodyguard (of course, I would provide compensation and an employment contract)?

Just trying to think outside the box, maybe.
Old 01-25-2012, 2:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeenachGuy View Post
Two questions:

1. If I'm receiving death threats, will it improve my chances to get a LTC in LA County?
1a. If yes, anyone want to send me some death threats?

2. If someone hires me to be his or her bodyguard, will it improve my chances?
2a. If yes, would it suffice if I were to hire myself as my own bodyguard (of course, I would provide compensation and an employment contract)?

Just trying to think outside the box, maybe.
1. Not likely

2. Only if the person you are hired to protect submitted the proper bribe forms and was shown to be famous in need of protection.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

San Carlos, CA (March 9, 2012) – Continuing its Carry License Sunshine and Compliance Initiative, The Calguns Foundation (CGF) has filed a lawsuit today in Los Angeles Superior Court against Los Angeles Sheriff Leroy “Lee” Baca, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, and Los Angeles County. The case, entitled Jennifer Lu, et al. v. County of Los Angeles, et al., challenges the Sheriff’s ban on accepting and processing applications for carry licenses submitted by city residents.

The Calguns Foundation is joined in the lawsuit, by three individual plaintiffs.

“Sheriff Baca made the unfortunate decision to repeat historical failure,” noted CGF Chairman Gene Hoffman. “Apparently, the Sheriff and County do not feel bound to follow the precedent they set when the California Court of Appeals ruled against them in 1976. We look forward to refreshing their memory.”

In the case of Salute v. Pitchess, the Court held that “[i]t is the duty of the sheriff to make . . . an investigation and determination, on an individual basis, on every application” for a handgun carry license. Then-Los Angeles Sheriff Peter Pitchess had “a fixed policy of not granting applications . . . … except in a limited number of cases.”

California requires that people who desire to carry a handgun for self defense be licensed by the sheriff of the county in which they reside, or, at the applicants’ option, they can apply to their city’s chief of police. However, sheriffs cannot require applicants to first apply to and be denied by a city’s chief of police as a prerequisite to application.

“The State of California very intentionally established a standardized carry license framework: if you’re a sheriff, you have a duty to administer the carry license program for all residents of your county,” clarified Brandon Combs, an officer of CGF and director of the Carry License Initiative. “Sheriff Baca’s intent in enforcing these unlawful regulations is quite clear: make it as difficult as possible for law-abiding residents of Los Angeles County to defend their lives and those of their families. Not only does he treat some deserving applicants differently than others, he uses the rejections by cities’ chiefs of police - that his policy requires - as evidence against the applicants when they apply to him.”

“Jennifer Lu and the other plaintiffs have every reason to desire a handgun carry license, not the least of which is that it is their fundamental right under the Constitution as Federal courts in both West Virginia and Maryland ruled earlier this week,” said Jason Davis, attorney for the plaintiffs. “Sheriff Baca is circumventing state and constitutional law, and we’re confident that this case will bear that out.”

A copy of the complaint and case filings can be downloaded at http://bit.ly/lu_v_baca.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:15 AM

Hurray!
Old 03-10-2012, 5:04 PM
Banned

Well It's about time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
San Carlos, CA (March 9, 2012) – Continuing its Carry License Sunshine and Compliance Initiative, The Calguns Foundation (CGF) has filed a lawsuit today in Los Angeles Superior Court against Los Angeles Sheriff Leroy “Lee” Baca, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, and Los Angeles County. The case, entitled Jennifer Lu, et al. v. County of Los Angeles, et al., challenges the Sheriff’s ban on accepting and processing applications for carry licenses submitted by city residents.

The Calguns Foundation is joined in the lawsuit, by three individual plaintiffs.

“Sheriff Baca made the unfortunate decision to repeat historical failure,” noted CGF Chairman Gene Hoffman. “Apparently, the Sheriff and County do not feel bound to follow the precedent they set when the California Court of Appeals ruled against them in 1976. We look forward to refreshing their memory.”

In the case of Salute v. Pitchess, the Court held that “[i]t is the duty of the sheriff to make . . . an investigation and determination, on an individual basis, on every application” for a handgun carry license. Then-Los Angeles Sheriff Peter Pitchess had “a fixed policy of not granting applications . . . … except in a limited number of cases.”

California requires that people who desire to carry a handgun for self defense be licensed by the sheriff of the county in which they reside, or, at the applicants’ option, they can apply to their city’s chief of police. However, sheriffs cannot require applicants to first apply to and be denied by a city’s chief of police as a prerequisite to application.

“The State of California very intentionally established a standardized carry license framework: if you’re a sheriff, you have a duty to administer the carry license program for all residents of your county,” clarified Brandon Combs, an officer of CGF and director of the Carry License Initiative. “Sheriff Baca’s intent in enforcing these unlawful regulations is quite clear: make it as difficult as possible for law-abiding residents of Los Angeles County to defend their lives and those of their families. Not only does he treat some deserving applicants differently than others, he uses the rejections by cities’ chiefs of police - that his policy requires - as evidence against the applicants when they apply to him.”

“Jennifer Lu and the other plaintiffs have every reason to desire a handgun carry license, not the least of which is that it is their fundamental right under the Constitution as Federal courts in both West Virginia and Maryland ruled earlier this week,” said Jason Davis, attorney for the plaintiffs. “Sheriff Baca is circumventing state and constitutional law, and we’re confident that this case will bear that out.”

A copy of the complaint and case filings can be downloaded at http://bit.ly/lu_v_baca.

Last edited by HowardW56; 03-10-2012 at 7:34 PM..
Old 03-10-2012, 5:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm stoked. Gonna donate when I get paid next Friday
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 AM

Donation sent, thanks: Jennifer Lu, et al. v. County of Los Angeles, et al.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

So should i start applying yet? It seems to me that the sunshine act has momentum and la wont takt the courts long now that there is a precendent? Anyone have a rough guideline for how log it will be till i can carry?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrakid88 View Post
So should i start applying yet? It seems to me that the sunshine act has momentum and la wont takt the courts long now that there is a precendent? Anyone have a rough guideline for how log it will be till i can carry?
I would hold off. From what I've seen CGF will make a thread titled "LA County, time to apply" when the time is right. Not to say you shouldn't apply now, just something to think about.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
A tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:51 AM

If one lives within the city limits of LA, as I read it, I would have to apply to the LAPD (Charlie Beck) and if denied would have to apply to the LASD ?

Could I just apply to the LASD and skip the LAPD part ?

G

Last edited by retired; 04-07-2012 at 4:50 PM.. Reason: not funny
Old 03-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzavc View Post
If one lives within the city limits of LA, as I read it, I would have to apply to the LAPD (Charlie Beck) and if denied would have to apply to the LASD ?

G
Did you see this? http://eepurl.com/jV3NL

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.

Last edited by retired; 04-07-2012 at 4:51 PM..
Old 03-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If one lives within the city limits of LA, as I read it, I would have to apply to the LAPD (Charlie Chaplain Beck) and if denied would have to apply to the LASD ?

G

Their current, illegal, policy makes a county resident do this, yes. However, that's the point of this lawsuit. When, not if, the lawsuit is won, you will not have to apply to your city PD first. So again, apply if you'd like, but personally I would wait.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
Old 03-13-2012, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Did you see this? http://eepurl.com/jV3NL

-Brandon

Brandon, I've noticed you have started using allot of 'short' URL redirects. Could you please just post normal URLs so we at least know where we are going?

http://calgunsfoundation.org/news-bl...-lee-baca.html
Old 03-13-2012, 7:39 PM

Quote:
If one lives within the city limits of LA, as I read it, I would have to apply to the LAPD (Charlie Chaplain Beck) and if denied would have to apply to the LASD ?

G
Brandon & the other chap who also replied to my query:

Yes I did read that, I just wanted clarification that I interpreted it correctly.

I was not planning on applying until such time as "the word" filters down to us on here. I don't have the time and money to spend on something that'll get denied flat out. It can wait until such time as it will be expeditious for us all to apply.

Thanks for the prompt answers. It's nice to have some good "go to" blokes on here.

Gaz
Old 04-11-2012, 9:53 PM

Hopefully one day soon.
Old 04-16-2012, 9:14 PM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

But isn't Baca already denying applications made directly to the SO anyway?

Scott
Old 04-16-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Brandon, I've noticed you have started using allot of 'short' URL redirects. Could you please just post normal URLs so we at least know where we are going?

http://calgunsfoundation.org/news-bl...-lee-baca.html

You must be new to the internets...

Semper Fi!

Old 04-18-2012, 5:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
You must be new to the internets...
There's really no reason to use URL shorteners in normal email or forum posts., though they do have a place in short formats like Twitter.

The problem is, one can never know where the link goes... sure, it's probably a story relevent to the topic at hand, but it could also be a malware auto-installer site. Even if the message is from a trusted user, their account could have been compromised and the malicious short URL is actually coming from a bad guy...

This is becoming incrasingly popular since most people have been trained to immediately click a short link without thinking about it. Few people take the time to copy the link and go to a URL expander to see where it really leads... personally, I've found several short links that lead to malware sites (none here on CalGuns, though)

On a related note, always be sure to hover the cursor over a link and read where it really leads to before clicking it... the text could say one thing while the code leads to an entirely different location...

/end IT Security derail

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." - Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Lt. Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old 04-18-2012, 7:34 AM
Calguns Addict

I imagine he's just using the same links from twitter. I don't really care one way or other. I'm confident in my own internal security enough but do generally like to mouse over and see where it's going but no big deal to me.

On topic, I was a bit disappointed I couldn't find any reference to this suit on the LA Times site, though not too surprised.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 04-18-2012, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Akin View Post
There's really no reason to use URL shorteners in normal email or forum posts., though they do have a place in short formats like Twitter.

The problem is, one can never know where the link goes... sure, it's probably a story relevent to the topic at hand, but it could also be a malware auto-installer site. Even if the message is from a trusted user, their account could have been compromised and the malicious short URL is actually coming from a bad guy...

This is becoming incrasingly popular since most people have been trained to immediately click a short link without thinking about it. Few people take the time to copy the link and go to a URL expander to see where it really leads... personally, I've found several short links that lead to malware sites (none here on CalGuns, though)

On a related note, always be sure to hover the cursor over a link and read where it really leads to before clicking it... the text could say one thing while the code leads to an entirely different location...

/end IT Security derail
Wow, I said the same thing but slightly snarky due to the snarky response, and my response was deleted
Old 04-29-2012, 5:59 PM
Banned

I'm not being anxious or antsy....but I'd like to know what people's ideas of a realistic time frame for CCW is in Los Angeles County. 1 year, 5 years, more? Less?
Old 05-10-2012, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez View Post
I'm not being anxious or antsy....but I'd like to know what people's ideas of a realistic time frame for CCW is in Los Angeles County. 1 year, 5 years, more? Less?
Good question!
Old 05-10-2012, 4:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_k_lopez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gl0ckc0ma View Post
Good question!
Old 05-15-2012, 6:00 PM

I see two weeks a lot on here, is that an inside joke or for real?
Old 05-27-2012, 8:43 PM

I thought I read somewhere in CG that the Sheriffs Dept's all had to have their LTC information/application available. I've been searching for the last 45min or so and havent found ANYTHING relating to LTC/CCW. Even their little search engine has few hits and the only one that comes close is a link to FAQ re: renew a LTC for LASD retirees.
Old 05-27-2012, 8:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.martins187 View Post
Inside joke

IIRC it was about DOJ Division of Firearms (back then) saying all OLLs would be banned in 2 weeks.

Other calgunners please chime in.
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 05-27-2012, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaibuilt View Post
I thought I read somewhere in CG that the Sheriffs Dept's all had to have their LTC information/application available. I've been searching for the last 45min or so and havent found ANYTHING relating to LTC/CCW. Even their little search engine has few hits and the only one that comes close is a link to FAQ re: renew a LTC for LASD retirees.
http://www.lasdhq.org/contact_us/inq...mit-local3.htm

Old 07-16-2012, 1:02 AM

one can only hope for this day to come..sooner then later.
Old 07-16-2012, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911su16b870 View Post
Inside joke

IIRC it was about DOJ Division of Firearms (back then) saying all OLLs would be banned in 2 weeks.

Other calgunners please chime in.
I will chime in... In two weeks.
Old 08-06-2012, 7:11 PM

So is CCW/LTC or whatever people want to call it still a nogo?

What I've gathered from the thread so far is that things may be changing (in two weeks) but despite your neighborhood, being threatened, or carrying around expensive equipment or large amounts of cash we will still be denied.

I think it's a shame that as a war vet I spend more time worried about the next time I'm confronted by MS13 (which has been multiple times), guys stopping in front of our house with weapons (and obviously looking for someone to shoot), or the gunfire (including what was clearly automatic) I hear nearby than I ever really had to consider morters, IEDs, or attacks from insurgents (perhaps being armed helped with those issues =D ).

Currently moving isn't an option.

Yet cops think that they're around enough for us not to need to carry weapons to protect ourselves? If that were the case, none of the above would be an issue.

Thankfully I do know a famous guy or two. Is becoming a "bodyguard" for them really the only option that's even remotely possible? Carrying a folding knife to dissuade the various gang people around here just isn't going to cut it. If they're firing shots at each other over a turf dispute they obviously don't give a damn about which laws (city, state, federal) they violate. The last thing I want to do is to give an assbackwards system more money just to be denied.

Last edited by SabreGhost; 08-06-2012 at 7:37 PM..
Old 08-06-2012, 9:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreGhost View Post
So is CCW/LTC or whatever people want to call it still a nogo?

What I've gathered from the thread so far is that things may be changing (in two weeks) but despite your neighborhood, being threatened, or carrying around expensive equipment or large amounts of cash we will still be denied.

I think it's a shame that as a war vet I spend more time worried about the next time I'm confronted by MS13 (which has been multiple times), guys stopping in front of our house with weapons (and obviously looking for someone to shoot), or the gunfire (including what was clearly automatic) I hear nearby than I ever really had to consider morters, IEDs, or attacks from insurgents (perhaps being armed helped with those issues =D ).

Currently moving isn't an option.

Yet cops think that they're around enough for us not to need to carry weapons to protect ourselves? If that were the case, none of the above would be an issue.

Thankfully I do know a famous guy or two. Is becoming a "bodyguard" for them really the only option that's even remotely possible? Carrying a folding knife to dissuade the various gang people around here just isn't going to cut it. If they're firing shots at each other over a turf dispute they obviously don't give a damn about which laws (city, state, federal) they violate. The last thing I want to do is to give an assbackwards system more money just to be denied.
Unfortunately the law does not move as quickly as any of us would like, so at this point, yes it is a nogo.

NRA Member
SAF Member

Quote:
Old 08-08-2012, 2:46 PM

How's the city of San Gabriel with their apps ? I'm looking at their fee schedule and it says $150.00 service fee.
Old 08-18-2012, 2:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardW56 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.martins187 View Post
Two weeks is an inside joke.
Old 09-01-2012, 7:31 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a few questions pertaining to the lawsuit.

1. How can we follow the status of the legal proceedings for those of us that are interested.

2. What can I do to help this cause?
Old 09-01-2012, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
For reference:
You can appeal it, take it to court. It will all depend on the judge. My friend got denied and appealed it and judge over turned it and he was issued his licsence.
Old 09-01-2012, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUTTER View Post

1. How can we follow the status of the legal proceedings for those of us that are interested.
* http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=545848
* http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=612133

* http://calgunsfoundation.org/resourc...s-angeles.html
Thats all I can think of right now.
Old 09-02-2012, 6:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUTTER View Post

* http://calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=545848

* http://calgunsfoundation.org/resources/ccw-initiative/107-los-angeles.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaibuilt View Post
Thats all I can think of right now.

DONATE, challanging the state, counties, and cities cost money!

Donate to The Calguns Foundation

If you shop on line using Amazon, use this link WWW.SHOP42A.COM

Old 09-17-2012, 10:15 PM

Subscribed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-24-2012, 2:40 PM

Subscribed. Hoping to hear good news about this subject.
Old 10-14-2012, 2:40 PM

Question....I am presently a San Bernardino County resident with a valid CCW in said county...I might be relocating to LA county in the near future. Is there a process in which I can have my CCW transferred to LA county? If denied, might this be a good court test case to force LA county officials to recognize our 2nd amendment rights? Thx for the replys!!! Ulmapache
Closed Thread