Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions > Shotgun Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun Gallery Post pictures of your scattergun here.

Old 03-29-2014, 8:44 PM

Default Would you recommend this to a shotgun newbie?

I've owned several AR's and tens of hand guns, but never a shotgun. Never feel there's a need for it, whether for HD or range shooting. However, a friend of mine recently asked for my recommendation of a shotgun. My first reaction would be Benelli M4. Not that I know much about Benelli, but that it's a pretty cool looking gun. And tons of guys drooling all over it. That's probably a safe bet, I think. But then while surfing Atlantic Firearms, I saw this one, and it looks kind of cool too. Price isn't outrageous. So I thought maybe I should get one just first is to try it out and secondly I never know. Maybe someday I do need one. Anyway, so do you guys think this is cool enough for starters?

Attachment 314566

If this isn't it, then what would be a better one. Budget for the shotgun is 1K (max).

Last edited by OmegaTrader; 12-08-2014 at 9:07 AM..
Old 03-29-2014, 9:02 PM
Calguns Addict

The main problem with shotguns like the Benelli M4 (which I came VERY close to buying) and the one in your picture above, is that they are very specialized shotguns designed for combat. If this is your friend's 1st shotgun, the main downside is that he/she won't be able to use it for clay shooting in many ranges here in California.

Many clay shooting ranges have min. barrel length requirements, usually between 24" to 26" minimum. Which means that your friend will end up shooting only buckshots and slugs with with the shotgun, which isn't a lot of fun compared to trap, skeet and sporting clay. What will happen is that these type of shotguns will end up collecting dust in a safe/closet somewhere because they're not that fun if restricted to shooting buckshots/slugs at static targets.

For a 1st shotgun, I'll recommend something like a Benelli M2 Field 12 gauge with either a 26" or 28" barrel. You can change the straight stock for a pistol grip one if you want to do some "tactical" shooting and it comes pre-drill for mounting optics too. Your friend will also be able to use it to shoot trap/skeet/sporting clay, which is lots of fun and brings out the best attribute of a shotgun. He/she will learn a lot about correct gun mount, stance, swing and lead. This will make your friend a very good shotgunner.
Old 03-29-2014, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
The main problem with shotguns like the Benelli M4 (which I came VERY close to buying) and the one in your picture above, is that they are very specialized shotguns designed for combat. If this is your friend's 1st shotgun, the main downside is that he/she won't be able to use it for clay shooting in many ranges here in California.

Many clay shooting ranges have min. barrel length requirements, usually between 24" to 26" minimum. Which means that your friend will end up shooting only buckshots and slugs with with the shotgun, which isn't a lot of fun compared to trap, skeet and sporting clay. What will happen is that these type of shotguns will end up collecting dust in a safe/closet somewhere because they're not that fun if restricted to shooting buckshots/slugs at static targets.
Thanks

Quote:
For a 1st shotgun, I'll recommend something like a Benelli M2 Field 12 gauge with either a 26" or 28" barrel. You can change the straight stock for a pistol grip one if you want to do some "tactical" shooting and it comes pre-drill for mounting optics too. Your friend will also be able to use it to shoot trap/skeet/sporting clay, which is lots of fun and brings out the best attribute of a shotgun. He/she will learn a lot about correct gun mount, stance, swing and lead. This will make your friend a very good shotgunner.
How easy is it to turn it from "above" to "below" in this picture? Are they like AR's where you can simply pull out the stock and insert another one in with ease?

Attachment 314581

Old 03-29-2014, 9:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTrader View Post
How easy is it to turn it from "above" to "below" in this picture? Are they like AR's where you can simply pull out the stock and insert another one in with ease?

Attachment 314581
Here's how to replace the straight stock with Mesa Tactical ones:
http://www.mesatactical.com/wp-conte...tock_rev_a.pdf
Old 03-29-2014, 9:36 PM
Veteran Member

First shotgun, Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:43 PM

You will have a hard time finding a M4 for $1,000, and if you do I might have already purchased it

For my first gun I jumped straight to the M3, was considering a Perrazzi or Krieghoff but reconsidered because my aim is dreadful. My intentions was very similar to your current one, looking for a cool and unique gun.

If you are seriously interested in getting acquainted with the Benelli bloodline, I recommend the M1 to start with.

If you are testing the waters with shotguns, I would recommend the 870 Wingmaster or Winchester 1200. The Mossberg 930 and Tristar Cobra is excellent for a novice looking for Semis. I do not recommend a magazine fed shotgun because of the lame boolit button.
Old 03-30-2014, 9:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearbear View Post
Here's how to replace the straight stock with Mesa Tactical ones:
http://www.mesatactical.com/wp-conte...tock_rev_a.pdf
Thanks Buddy. Will look into that should I decide to swap the buttstock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
Attachment 314629

Yeah..this one seems to fit my budget should I decide to get one. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertigofirearms View Post
If you are seriously interested in getting acquainted with the Benelli bloodline, I recommend the M1 to start with.
Attachment 314630

I'll let my friend try this one out. His pocket is a lot deeper than mine. If I'm gonna buy a shotgun, I think I'll settle with a Mossberg 870 above.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2014, 9:32 AM

Those Mossberg 870's are very nice and rare guns. Along with the elusive Remington 500's. If you can find one of those get yourself a lottery ticket while you're at it.
Old 03-30-2014, 9:36 AM
Banned

Last edited by ralph.garmin; 10-05-2014 at 9:15 AM..
Old 05-20-2014, 8:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFocus View Post
^^^ good advice.
Old 05-20-2014, 9:38 PM

Mossberg 590A1, Remington 870, Mossberg 500. In that order i think. Depending on your budget.

Difference between 590A1 and 500 is 590A1 has steel trigger guard and something else, i forgot. Overall, just more durable.
Old 07-25-2014, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTrader View Post

Attachment 314630

I'll let my friend try this one out. His pocket is a lot deeper than mine...
That M1 has a 14 barrel, an illegal NFA weapon for most people in Kalifornia.
You want the 18" barrel and 8 shot magazine extension. I got mine with Hk markings from when they were the USA importer for Benelli.

Last edited by JohnCCW; 07-25-2014 at 8:46 PM..